Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Stuck in activation lock after DFU restore

No good. Because Activation Lock is server side, it is cross referenced to the system used to do the swaps and blocks any kind of repair or swap until you sign into iCloud.com and remove the lock. Can't remove it, they have to deny service. 100% of the time. No way for a manager to override it.

I find this hard to believe. There are plenty of legit reasons why a phone may need repair and you're saying if the owner can't deactivate activation lock they're out of luck?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I find this hard to believe. There are plenty of legit reasons why a phone may need repair and you're saying if the owner can't deactivate activation lock they're out of luck?

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. If the owner can't, either on the iPhone or via iCloud.com, turn off the lock they are SOL.

Don't believe me? Go into your iPhone and make sure find my iPhone is turned on. Then drop it in a nice tub of water. let it sit there for a while so it gets nice and waterlogged and has to be swapped. then go into Apple and tell them you don't remember your Apple ID to turn off Find my iPhone. Not your password but the actual ID. They will tell you that there is nothing they can do. Call Apple Care and gripe, they will tell there is nothing they can do.

As I have noted before, my boyfriend is an Apple store tech. he has demonstrated for me how they can not save a repair if Find my iPhone is turned on. Not a swap, not even a battery replacement. There is no option for managers to override it either. No turning if off, no service. Just a troubleshooting note of what was going on and a flag for Service Denied -- Find My iPhone.

A major reason why they did it like that is because without that block someone could steal a phone, realize it was locked and then take it into an Apple store and get one that works no issues. Defeats the point of the lock if they can do that. If you are the owner you should know your ID at least

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. If the owner can't, either on the iPhone or via iCloud.com, turn off the lock they are SOL.

Don't believe me? Go into your iPhone and make sure find my iPhone is turned on. Then drop it in a nice tub of water. let it sit there for a while so it gets nice and waterlogged and has to be swapped. then go into Apple and tell them you don't remember your Apple ID to turn off Find my iPhone. Not your password but the actual ID. They will tell you that there is nothing they can do. Call Apple Care and gripe, they will tell there is nothing they can do.

As I have noted before, my boyfriend is an Apple store tech. he has demonstrated for me how they can not save a repair if Find my iPhone is turned on. Not a swap, not even a battery replacement. There is no option for managers to override it either. No turning if off, no service. Just a troubleshooting note of what was going on and a flag for Service Denied -- Find My iPhone.

A major reason why they did it like that is because without that block someone could steal a phone, realize it was locked and then take it into an Apple store and get one that works no issues. Defeats the point of the lock if they can do that. If you are the owner you should know your ID at least
I still don't quite see how having an original receipt and perhaps even other pieces of information wouldn't be enough to establish ownership. Seems to be enough for all kinds of other devices, even expensive ones like computers and TVs that cost way more.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I still don't quite see how having an original receipt and perhaps even other pieces of information wouldn't be enough to establish ownership. Seems to be enough for all kinds of other devices, even expensive ones like computers and TVs that cost way more.

Because it's not. And frankly I don't know how you can persist in not getting it given that several folks have pointed out scenarios where the original receipt is moot.

But hey, don't believe me. Take that original receipt with you when you take in that waterlogged phone and no clue of the email needed. See how far that gets you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because it's not. And frankly I don't know how you can persist in not getting it given that several folks have pointed out scenarios where the original receipt is moot.

But hey, don't believe me. Take that original receipt with you when you take in that waterlogged phone and no clue of the email needed. See how far that gets you.
I'm not saying that's not what's happening in Apple stores, I'm saying that it seems odd that the methods to establish ownership that work for all kinds of other devices--many of which are even (quite a bit) more expensive--despite any theoretical scenarios, aren't applicable to iOS devices now.

A.R.S

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Russia, Krasnodar
Apple ID Activation Lock

I have heard that Apple customer support can reset the system. This is a quote from another forum:

Call Apple support. When the rep tells you all about activation lock, tell them you have proof of purchase and you need to speak to a supervisor or level 2 support. You will need proof that you purchased the item. They will ask you lots of questions about the device and then have you forward the proof of purchase to a special email address.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Because what you say makes no since. By your logic, someone could have NOT had FindMy Phone turned on. Someone steels it and registers it with their iCloud. So now since its registered with iCloud email, THAT makes the thief the rightful owner because its registered on his icloud email, not the person with the receipt, orig box, apple care document or carrier account the phone is registered to. How does that really make since that the email is the more valid "proof" of ownership? Dont have to answer that was rhetorical. I will pass on your offer to water damage my phone to see.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Because what you say makes no since. By your logic, someone could have NOT had FindMy Phone turned on. Someone steels it and registers it with their iCloud.

If someone was dumb enough, after all the press, to have not signed into iCloud when they got their phone, well how is that Apple's fault. After you buy it, it becomes your responsibility not theirs.

The point is that they have no way of knowing if you owned the phone and it was stolen, you owned it and sold it etc. Even if you have the box, the receipt etc.

And given that it is your responsibility Apple doesn't have to have systems in place to help you bypass the security tools they included to help you protect your stuff. They set up the system, very clearly stating that the lock requires YOU to know the email and the password entered. If you were dumb enough to put in a brand new email and not write it down as the OP says he did, well Apple warranties for defect, not damage, data or PEBKAC issues

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Nonsense. You may have an entirely different email address for iCloud. Especially if your primary email address is, for example, a gmail one, which is not acceptable for icloud. How could you not know this? This happened to my wife's phone, we had to set up an icloud address when she upgraded to iOS 7, an address she never, ever used or indeed still uses. Luckily I had it stored somewhere but if I hadn't we were screwed.

You can use a different Apple ID for iCloud, correct. But it most certainly can be a gmail.com address. If you created a free iCloud.com email address to use as your Apple ID for iCloud, then you should remember it -- just like you would for any other account.

It's your username. If you can't remember that, it's not Apple's fault. What are they supposed to do when you come in and say "I don't remember my username OR my password. Help me!"?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can use a different Apple ID for iCloud, correct. But it most certainly can be a gmail.com address. If you created a free iCloud.com email address to use as your Apple ID for iCloud, then you should remember it -- just like you would for any other account.

It's your username. If you can't remember that, it's not Apple's fault. What are they supposed to do when you come in and say "I don't remember my username OR my password. Help me!"?
What would a car manufacturer tell someone who came to them and said I lost my keys and have no copy (despite being told that I should have one)? Would they say tough luck you can junk the car and that's it? Or would they work with you to establish ownership and get a new key for your car (perhaps at some cost to you), as a reasonable and consumer-centric company would normally do?

viennas

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
My brother is having a similar issue, he knows the iCloud account, but he never verified the recovery email and when setting up the secret question answers he put in random answers. So he's been back and forth with Apple and the store (Vodafone) that originally supplied the phone 2 years ago.

Apple has asked for the following below and the store won't provide the information below as they supposedly cannot obtain it.

A valid proof of purchase or sales receipt must include each of these things:
Reseller’s name, address, and phone number or website URL
Date of purchase when the product was originally sold
Itemized product information, including price and product serial number
Total price paid

If the receipt doesn’t include this information, we can’t complete your request.

The serial number can be typed or handwritten. If the reseller didn’t provide the serial number on the receipt, you can write the number on the receipt before you send it.

An Apple customer service representative only suggested guessing the secret answers, but no luck there. Though if the information requested can be provided they will remove the activation lock (I think) or reset the account password.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
If someone was dumb enough, after all the press, to have not signed into iCloud when they got their phone, well how is that Apple's fault. After you buy it, it becomes your responsibility not theirs.

The point is that they have no way of knowing if you owned the phone and it was stolen, you owned it and sold it etc. Even if you have the box, the receipt etc.

And given that it is your responsibility Apple doesn't have to have systems in place to help you bypass the security tools they included to help you protect your stuff. They set up the system, very clearly stating that the lock requires YOU to know the email and the password entered. If you were dumb enough to put in a brand new email and not write it down as the OP says he did, well Apple warranties for defect, not damage, data or PEBKAC issues

Never said anything about anything being Apples fault. The message was that you say that whatever email is in the phone proves ownership and receipts, boxes, records etc do not. That makes absolutely no since. Again based on my example given, the idea that the thief who put his email into a device that he stole that was not previously using FMP and now has the "proof" of ownership because his email address is in the device not the person who has all the documentation is ridicules. And I agree folks SHOULD use activation lock and keep up with their info but reality is some may not. It IS an option to use iCloud, find my phone and activation lock, not a requirement. So if someone doesnt and somehow their device is stolen and they get it back with the thief's info/email in there they should be able to use their phone again. Plain and simple.

----------

My brother is having a similar issue, he knows the iCloud account, but he never verified the recovery email and when setting up the secret question answers he put in random answers. So he's been back and forth with Apple and the store (Vodafone) that originally supplied the phone 2 years ago.

Apple has asked for the following below and the store won't provide the information below as they supposedly cannot obtain it.

A valid proof of purchase or sales receipt must include each of these things:
Reseller’s name, address, and phone number or website URL
Date of purchase when the product was originally sold
Itemized product information, including price and product serial number
Total price paid

If the receipt doesn’t include this information, we can’t complete your request.

The serial number can be typed or handwritten. If the reseller didn’t provide the serial number on the receipt, you can write the number on the receipt before you send it.

An Apple customer service representative only suggested guessing the secret answers, but no luck there. Though if the information requested can be provided they will remove the activation lock (I think) or reset the account password.

THAT makes since. Some here seem to think having all that proof in the list isnt in fact "proof" of anything rather whatever email happens to be in the icloud acct is the only valid proof of ownership :rolleyes: I guess possession is 99% ownership these days.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
What would a car manufacturer tell someone who came to them and said I lost my keys and have no copy (despite being told that I should have one)? Would they say tough luck you can junk the car and that's it? Or would they work with you to establish ownership and get a new key for your car (perhaps at some cost to you), as a reasonable and consumer-centric company would normally do?

The comparison here would be if they asked you for your home address and you told them you couldn't remember it.

Forgetting your password is one thing. Not knowing your email AND password is a whole other deal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The comparison here would be if they asked you for your home address and you told them you couldn't remember it.

Forgetting your password is one thing. Not knowing your email AND password is a whole other deal.
So you are saying that in a case like that, even if they asked you about your address and you didn't remember it, that on its own would (or should) be enough for them to just send you on your way and not do anything about you being locked out of your car despite you having all the purchase records (and the car itself) showing you are the owner? Somehow I don't think that would happen.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
A problematic scenario would be if you had your iCloud account hacked and you're activation locked out of your own iDevices.

Disclosure: I skimmed the thread and apologize if it was already covered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A problematic scenario would be if you had your iCloud account hacked and you're activation locked out of your own iDevices.

Disclosure: I skimmed the thread and apologize if it was already covered.
That is certainly one of the examples that has been brought up, but has mostly been getting overlooked in responses.

gabriolastyle

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Activation lock is fundamentally flawed

I recently bought an iPad mini I did not know what activation lock was at the time, I admit I should have done my research (it was going to be a gift I use android so i didn't know).

Even if the phone is Stolen I can't return it to the owner, I cant contact them. I can't get a refund unless I prove its stolen. And the thief can't get arrested unless the device is proved stolen.

So this means the thief ripped off the owner and then ripped of a second person he sells it two.

I simply wish that Apple would add a feature so you can contact the owner to try and get there phone back and depending on how you buy the device you might get your money back. With eBay having the address and name of the seller the thief might even get what he deserves.

The reasoning for Apple is they can sell the owner a new device. now they doubled there profit.

Did activation lock actually help the owner...? No..

Who is the real criminal here? Apple and the thief....

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Activation lock is fundamentally flawed

I recently bought an iPad mini I did not know what activation lock was at the time, I admit I should have done my research (it was going to be a gift I use android so i didn't know).

Even if the phone is Stolen I can't return it to the owner, I cant contact them. I can't get a refund unless I prove its stolen. And the thief can't get arrested unless the device is proved stolen.

So this means the thief ripped off the owner and then ripped of a second person he sells it two.

I simply wish that Apple would add a feature so you can contact the owner to try and get there phone back and depending on how you buy the device you might get your money back. With eBay having the address and name of the seller the thief might even get what he deserves.

The reasoning for Apple is they can sell the owner a new device. now they doubled there profit.

Did activation lock actually help the owner...? No..

Who is the real criminal here? Apple and the thief....

You're missing the point. Activation lock is supposed to function as a deterrent from being stolen in first place.

gabriolastyle

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
You're missing the point. Activation lock is supposed to function as a deterrent from being stolen in first place.

Yes but what about devices that are lost??

It will not deter theft, it's a fallacy. A thief is going to steal it and part it out or sell it for cheap or scam someone. If you steal a non password protected device then restore it it will become activation locked. The person who bought it is now scammed.

I say again: "Activation lock is fundamentally flawed"...

Why cant apple add the feature to get in contact with the owner to try and return the device to the owner or resolve the activation lock from a device you may have purchased that became activation locked?

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Yes but what about devices that are lost??

It will not deter theft, it's a fallacy. A thief is going to steal it and part it out or sell it for cheap or scam someone. If you steal a non password protected device then restore it it will become activation locked. The person who bought it is now scammed.

I say again: "Activation lock is fundamentally flawed"...

Why cant apple add the feature to get in contact with the owner to try and return the device to the owner or resolve the activation lock from a device you may have purchased that became activation locked?

Apple is not going to get involved with letting you contact people, period. People would go crazy if they thought that Apple could under any scenario give out their information for any purpose. Please tell us how that "feature" would work?

THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE FOR GOOD REASON. Apple will never help you get in contact with anyone. Before you buy a device, freakin look and see if its activation locked. Problem solved.

jd254

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
I don't see how the corporate fix is different from the personal fix, but here... see this link.

http://www.enterpriseios.com/story/2013/10/29/How_IT_can_cope_with_Activation_Lock_a_step_by_step_guide

basically, you call 1-800-275-2273

go through the prompt, and if you are covered in their warranty, good for you, but if not, press zero to speak to an operator. Be very clear. your device's activation lock is enabled and you have proof of purchase. you would like to email your proof of purchase to Apple to remove the activation lock. don't let them talk you into buying any plan for support.

They will transfer you to the senior team member and he will set everything up. I've done this twice already.

At the moment, I have an iPhone that Verizon wasn't able to provide the proof of purchase for. I'm on the phone with Apple right now... hopefully my invoice records from the past few years will be enough.

EDIT:
So Apple was willing to deactivate the activation lock without proof of purchase if I am able to have my Verizon rep send me an email stating this is a company device. He said this was a new procedure for enterprise devices. I'm not sure how it would work with personal accounts. Good luck guys.

Last edited:

screwiphone

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
screw apple - This is last i am buying apple product

I m so pissed off on Apple.
Why does it try to control the device once sold. It should leave the authentication to the user.. ?
By putting an activation lock with icloud , Apple is trying to control someones device. If the device is lost or stolen it should be owners responsiblity not Apples.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I m so pissed off on Apple.
Why does it try to control the device once sold. It should leave the authentication to the user.. ?
By putting an activation lock with icloud , Apple is trying to control someones device. If the device is lost or stolen it should be owners responsiblity not Apples.
What? When the device is sold the previous owner should wipe it and disable Find My iPhone which disables Activation Lock…seems like the control is in the owner's hands and not elsewhere.

screwiphone

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
What? When the device is sold the previous owner should wipe it and disable Find My iPhone which disables Activation Lock…seems like the control is in the owner's hands and not elsewhere.

Do you think all iphone users are so religious that before selling their phones they will do whats needed? Not a whole lot of sellers know about this nor a number of buyers know to do such level of due deligence and those phones end up in trash can losing buyers hard earned money .. It's a phone and should be treated like any other commodity and not a secure bank locker..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.