Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I think it's funny that you were so worried about activation lock not working that you can't even remember how to get back in after testing :p

it's like changing the locks on your house only to throw away all the new keys.

----------

Do you think all iphone users are so religious that before selling their phones they will do whats needed? Not a whole lot of sellers know about this nor a number of buyers know to do such level of due deligence and those phones end up in trash can losing buyers hard earned money .. It's a phone and should be treated like any other commodity and not a secure bank locker..

find my iPhone is optional.

If you don't want your devices secured, that's your business, but a lot of people do. I'd rather not someone have all the info on my phone. If someone steals my phone right now, they can't even unlock it because I have Touch ID and a passcode. If they guess the passcode, good job, I'll remotely erase it, and they can't use it any further because activation lock is active.

If you're buying a used iPhone and you're not checking for find my iPhone, that's your fault. You don't buy a car without the title and the keys, right? It's a phone but if you don't care about being careful because it's "just a phone", anything bad that happens to you is deserved.

Nice username by the way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you think all iphone users are so religious that before selling their phones they will do whats needed? Not a whole lot of sellers know about this nor a number of buyers know to do such level of due deligence and those phones end up in trash can losing buyers hard earned money .. It's a phone and should be treated like any other commodity and not a secure bank locker..
They'll learn. Otherwise that's like buying a car from someone and not getting the registration paperwork for it. People learn they need to do it.

elpamyelhsa

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Geraldton, Western Australia
:apple: Retailed Device;
Steps for Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASPs)

Obtain an original Proof of Purchase issued by an Apple Authorized Reseller from the customer.

Create a GSX Help Case by clicking the Create Escalation button and select the Issue Type Find My iPhone Unlock Request.

AASPs must complete the AASP Find My iPhone Request Form in full and attach it to the case along with the customer's Proof of Purchase.

The case will be reviewed by Service Provider Support (SPS) and a confirmation of service will be provided within 48-72 hours.

Devices with LOST status cannot be unlocked.

-----------

Steps for Wireless Carriers

Obtain an original Proof of Purchase issued by an Apple Authorized Reseller from the customer.

Carrier will complete the Carrier Find My iPhone Request Form, emailing it to the address indicated on the form along with a Valid Proof of Purchase Copy.

The case will be reviewed by Apple Service Partner Support and an email confirmation will be provided within 48-72 hours.

Devices with LOST status cannot be unlocked.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I m so pissed off on Apple.
Why does it try to control the device once sold. It should leave the authentication to the user.. ?
By putting an activation lock with icloud , Apple is trying to control someones device. If the device is lost or stolen it should be owners responsiblity not Apples.

Let me guess - you bought a stolen iPhone, and you're wanting to blame Apple.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
My brother is having a similar issue, he knows the iCloud account, but he never verified the recovery email and when setting up the secret question answers he put in random answers.

Wow. That gets my vote for the dumbest thing anyone has ever done.

bobmutch

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
I remember seeing a page on the internet some where listing some steps where you can get the full apple id email address, from there you could get control of that email address and then change your apple id password and then delete your phone from the icloud. anyone else seen this process.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
No need to resurrect a discussion that will be fruitless. The activation lock is in place for a reason and discussing how to bypass it will only cause this thread to devolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.