Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
There's a thread for stupid PC-user tricks, but not one (so far as I can find) that deals purely with the imbecilic comments of our Mac-using brethren.

And so, with that in mind, I wanted to start a thread devoted to all of these pearls of idiocy dripping from the mouths of our brothers and sisters, the Mac user community.

Here's one:

"iPod, anyone?" when referring to how an unsuccessful or just plain stupid business model could be magically successful, if only Apple would get involved. Examples: Sure, TiVO is hemorrhaging money... but remember the iPod? or Sure, tablet PCs have only narrowly outsold Christopher Lloyd inflatable sex dolls... but remember the iPod?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm, okay, I'll play. I think the two that irritate me the most are:

1) The dogged insistence that Apple produce various random crap products such as headless iMacs and that they are screwing up massively by not doing so, in spite of the abundant evidence in the form of Apple's financials that suggests that their current strategy is a good one. EDIT: And my dogged insistence, incidentally, that an Apple subcompact would be highly lucrative for them and give me multiple orgasms.

2) The whole "consumer" versus "professional" nonsense surrounding what is appropriate for Apple's products with metallic shells and their products with white plastic ones. :rolleyes:

P.S.

Oh my God, this rocks:

I just threw up in iGary's mouth a little bit.

:D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In my experience, since win2k, crashy? No. Clunky? Different question...

I think this is very fair... although my experience is that XP is crashier than Win2k is. Win2k is, aside from its clunkiness, a very nice OS in many ways....

I think people overestimate susceptibility to malware on Windows computers. Particularly the extent to which a Windows computer is relatively safe if one uses a firewall, Firefox, and no "naughty" apps.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
This one tends to annoy me:

"OMG I hope Apple doesn't release a new version because I just bought one".

Oh, and:

"iTunes suxxes. Does MAC have anything like Winamp?"

There is a whole slew of this type from switchers.

FDX

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2006
How about I just bought my Mac in Dec. will i get ilife 07 for free.

Or I paid $79 for iwork is there an upgrade price for the next version?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
"Why won't Apple put a graphics card in the Macbook?"

The answer is obvious. Because Steve Jobs hates you and wants you to suffer, miserable and alone. :rolleyes:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Win2k is, aside from its clunkiness, a very nice OS in many ways....
Win2K is a very good and stable OS for those who know how to use PCs. It has minimal requirements to work well.

The problem with Win2K, that XP fixed quite a bit, is with drivers. WinXP is so easy to connect devices compared to Win2K.

"Have you repaired permissions?"
Well, have you? ;) :p :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The answer is obvious. Because Steve Jobs hates you and wants you to suffer, miserable and alone. :rolleyes:

I like your style. Realizing this makes so much more make sense in the Apple world. :)

Oh, here's a pet peeve... every single (and there are at least 47,000 of them) thread in which someone specifically asks for a way to videoconference on MSN and is told to either get Adium :rolleyes: or told to convert all of their friends to using AIM so that iChatAV can be used. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
"buy now or wait?"
"will the [unreleased product] do this feature for me?"
"will the next MBs have a dedicated GPU?"
"do they make photoshop for Mac?"

all of the above are usually from recent switchers, or those about to switch.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
1, wait for macworld, or wait for xxx. wait for xxx.....
2, [any non-apple product, such as: firefox, linux, windows, etc] is crap.
3, so called total ownership theory.....
4, Im sure apple/steve Jobs already did/thought this and made right choice/decision good for users, bla, bla, bla, its like a religion, and Jobs is god or what.....

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Battleground Europe?!
Mine is pretty scary. Not the girl, but the guys at the Apple reseller:

I was at my local reseller earlier this year when I overheared the following:

Girl: "My MacBook won´t start. I bought it yesterday, and after I had been using it for 45 mins it shut off and wouldn´t start again."

The girl puts the MacBook on the counter, and the guy behind it pushes the power button. Nothing happens.

Guy: "We have to send it to Apple so they can have a look at it. It might be the battery."

This is the point I feel I just have to do something. I walk over to them, and ask if I can look at it. I ask for the powerbrick, plug it in, connects it to the MB, and turns it on, The MB starts. It´s a miracle!

Me: "It usually will help if you charge up the battery."

Girl: "I thought you didn´t have to do that with Mac´s. Only with PC´s."

P.S: Yes, it turned out to be the most simple solution, Charge it up, baby. The battery was allright, just needed some power.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
"Apple should put a {Tuner|Blu-Ray|HD-DVD} player in the iTV."

(Yeah -- my pet peeve right now is the iTV controversy; everyone assumes that the iTV is going to be a far more incredible device at $300 than the Airport Express base station is at $140 for their respective forms of data)

"Apple should put the Linux kernel in OS X."

"Leopard should run Windows apps completely transparently with no performance hit."

"$PRODUCT_X needs a video card capable of running $VIDEO_GAME_Y at $FPS fps."

No. It doesn't. As evidenced by the fact that it's selling in record numbers, and I'd buy twelve if I could afford them.

"Apple should love us! We're their biggest fans!"

Most Apple employees probably hate us passionately, and I understand and don't blame them one bit.

LOL. Sorry, person_who_shall_remain_unnamed, but this just had to be posted :)

why r u selling ur iBook for $20, ik w/ shiping it costs 40 but still, dude u could easily get like $900 for it... if it's in good shape and a G4..... wow ???

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
First posted question:
i don't see why i'd spend 300US on this, seriously, what exactly does it do, most of my vidoes on my Mac are not great quality, why would i watch them on a TV?? i don't see the point in this iTV thing.

Insert various frustrated responses...

Second posted question:
i've looked but i'm asking a specific question...
"why would i want to stream my videos from Mac to TV because most videos you have on your Mac are not the greatest quality, so why would i spend 350Canadian on this thing...???" nobody has answered that yet.. all they've don was send me links with pics or rumours on what it does.

my response: ok now to be honest here you did not ask the question you have listed in your second post when you first posted, as you can see. so perhaps next time if you want the answer you are now looking for simply ask it so you don't get a thread link as an answer questions like your first one posed.

In response to your second question, the reason is because... here is the link so that you don't have a long set of points unrealted to this thread, i.e., a relatively smart post if I do say so myself. ;) https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3202732#post3202732

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.