Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Although not specific to mac users, this one's been annoying me a lot recently. it is typical of the newbie on these forums.

When they post titles with excessive unnecessary question and exclamation marks at the end of very un-urgant and trivial questions.

For example

"Good time to buy macbook or wait?????"

or how about when the thread title gives absolutely NO description of what the thread is about.

For example

"Hey i need some help please help!!!!!!"

Those two are especially annoying right now.

Such is the way of the newbie. I hate the fact the same questions crop up over and over again each week because nobody does a search, I can't come to these boards everyday because of the insane amounts of reoccurring questions.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Such is the way of the newbie. I hate the fact the same questions crop up over and over again each week because nobody does a search, I can't come to these boards everyday because of the insane amounts of reoccurring questions.

Indeed. I've taken to closing the "I just got a MacBook, what software should I get?" threads just to try to remove the clutter.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
"Apple lied to me!! I bought a 160 GB Hard Drive and it only has 157.8 GB of space!!! I want a refund and a new computer that actually works!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
Stupidest statment from Mac users? How about...

"The first 30 years were just the beginning... welcome to 2007"

"Redmond, start your photocopiers"

"Just one more sleepless night"

This is the number one thing that annoys me about Apple. They can sometimes seem so smug and up themselves and think the whole computing/music world revolves around them. And that attitude is showing more and more lately, in those tv ads and the last WWDC with all the Vista bashing. I want to like Apple but with that kind of attitude it just really puts me off them.

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL

This is the number one thing that annoys me about Apple. They can sometimes seem so smug and up themselves and think the whole computing/music world revolves around them. And that attitude is showing more and more lately, in those tv ads and the last WWDC with all the Vista bashing. I want to like Apple but with that kind of attitude it just really puts me off them.

Hmmm. To me, that's playful. Guess I don't take it so seriously.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California

Those statements can seem kind of arrogant sometimes, but those were from Apple, not "Mac users." I think that stuff can be okay at something like WWDC, I mean, if you're a Mac developer, it's nice to have a little fun with the opposition. It's not like the main consumer audience is paying attention to WWDC. I know what you mean though, sometimes I think Apple pushes it too far.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Those statements can seem kind of arrogant sometimes, but those were from Apple, not "Mac users." I think that stuff can be okay at something like WWDC, I mean, if you're a Mac developer, it's nice to have a little fun with the opposition. It's not like the main consumer audience is paying attention to WWDC. I know what you mean though, sometimes I think Apple pushes it too far.

yes, too far, way too far, many times untrue, especially they are running ads about mac can run office suites. lol, what if redmond pull all office:mac? :rolleyes:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
yes, too far, way too far, many times untrue, especially they are running ads about mac can run office suites. lol, what if redmond pull all office:mac? :rolleyes:

The only people that actually care / complain about "how far" Apple is "pushing it" is people who actually care about their computers. So, what is that, like 2% of the world?

I think most of the general population either doesn't care at all, or finds the ads slightly funny, in a calm sort of way.

Really I think it's just people on Mac forums who recently bought their first Mac and don't want to admit they've wasted a good amount of their computing life on PCs. Nobody else takes it seriously. It's just advertising. And isn't that what all advertising is? One company saying their products are better than the other? What do you people expect, Apple to say "Yes, PCs are great, and we're just as great, and everything is great, so if you ever feel like it, try a Mac." Get off this nonsense...

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
can someone please put the keynote up on bit torrent?

I have a feeling we will see that fairly soon! ;)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i can't stand when newbies come in and feel the need to bash Windows or Dell, or such... i mean, i'm sure you like apple and mac, but you really don't have to do that.

if a newbie post a thread and ask for help and such, and uses terms such as 'windose" or "winblows"... it just takes all my willingness for help away...thats when you will find my post unnecessarily unhelpful:eek:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
P.S: Yes, it turned out to be the most simple solution, Charge it up, baby. The battery was allright, just needed some power.

Actually, I had a customer whose white MacBook died after ~30 seconds. Turned out to be a logicboard problem. The genius bar guys probably figured it was the same issue... although you're right, they should have plugged it in first. Just saying that it isn't completely irrational for them to have thought to ship it off.

My current favorite Mac (l)user quote:
"So, I can't get an Airport signal but my phone has three bars... do you know why that is?"
:rolleyes:

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
People can be so smug in their own comfort zones. I like to think that i don't ask really banal questions about my computer, but I'm always astounded by some of the nonsense about health that I'm asked by people.

Although my favourite question from anyone was actually on teh subject of my being a twin, and it was "so are you psychic then?" At that moment psychotic might have been more descriptive.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
"you should get at least 2Gb of ram to run OS X smoothly."

Especially when the person is asking what they should buy for their grandmother who wants to send e-mails to her grandkids and "maybe surf the web." :rolleyes:™

Or when someone asks if they need more RAM and people give them answers without even bothering to consider their page-out status.

There should be a special place reserved in hell for everyone who recommends product specs to n00b buyers without making any consideration of their actual intended usage profile.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Especially when the person is asking what they should buy for their grandmother who wants to send e-mails to her grandkids and "maybe surf the web." :rolleyes:™

Or when someone asks if they need more RAM and people give them answers without even bothering to consider their page-out status.

There should be a special place reserved in hell for everyone who recommends product specs to n00b buyers without making any consideration of their actual intended usage profile.

Let's leave hell for Lay, Bush, Rumsfeld, oil CEO's and the rest of those who predate society, not those who try to help and do not always get it right.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Let's leave hell for Lay, Bush, Rumsfeld, oil CEO's and the rest of those who predate society, not those who try to help and do not always get it right.

Eh, I already play for the Evil™ team, myself, anyway. ;)

Although... the mentality that the question, "what should I buy" need not be connected to the questions "what do I need" or "what do I want to do" is not a trivial piece of the problem you're referring to....

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I just bought a brand new macbook pro (17" 2.33GHz 3GB) will i be able to run leopard on it when it comes out?

hope this one hasnt been posted already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.