Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
A German user who followed the same steps and got the same result:

appstore under 10.14.6 without function, no longer works

« Hi,
the appstore doesn't work anymore.

Apps to be updated: I click, the wheel turns, nothing happens.
Reloading already loaded but uninstalled apps does not work (turning cog)
Loading new apps that have not yet been loaded is also not possible

So, in summary, quite simply: Nothing works.
I have already tried the following without success:

Log out of the appstore / iCloud, restart, log in again
Clear caches
Delete .plist from the app store
Change certificate (Digicert) and reset it
Safe system start performed
Create new user
10.14.6 reloaded and installed over it
Time / date set manually forwards or backwards
chatted with the support, who unfortunately only gave me the succinct hint that I should upgrade to Big Sur.

Since I am still dependent on 32-bit (using Adobe CS6) this is not an alternative.
That a device is apparently "thrown out" with this, the operating system of which is just 2 years and 4 months old, cannot be the last word of wisdom and would be a poor testimony for Apple. And then wasting more than 6 hours of my time due to a lack of information and it still doesn't work is really annoying for me.

Does anyone have a working workaround for this problem?

Thanks and regards »

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252471137

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
There is only one way to make it (kind of) work again but it doesn't stick after a reboot...:

• On your Mac, complete the following steps:
    1. open the Keychain Access app (Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access).
    2. Click “System Roots”.
    3. Double Click “DigiCert High Assurance EV root CA”. keychain certificate settings
    4. Click “Trust” to expand it.
    5. Change “When using this certificate” from “Use System Defaults” to “Never Trust”.
    6. Now restart your Mac.
    7. And, when your Mac is on, follow the same steps to change “When using this certificate” back to “Use System Defaults”.
  • On your Mac, follow these steps:
    1. Open Finder.
    2. From the top menu, click Go > Go to Folder and enter the following:
    3. /var/db/crls/
    4. Click Go.
    5. Delete these files: “crlcache.db” and “ocspcache.db”. You may have to enter your admin password.
    6. And then restart your Mac.
**Source: https://macreports.com/mac-cannot-connect-to-app-store-fix/

Followed by unlogging at least two or three times from my AppStore account then each time:

Quit App Store
Open Terminal
Copy/paste in open $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/ after

$
Hit Enter
This should open a Finder window, with the folder com.Apple.appstore highlighted
Delete its contents
Open App Store and run updates

Even with this absurd procedure, some apps showed a Cloud icon even if they are installed???

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
It is not the secruity update. It is happening in a fresh install of 10.4.6 and no updates.
I thought I was having a problem so I did an erase and install on it and still have the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

rwross

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
It is not the secruity update. It is happening in a fresh install of 10.4.6 and no updates.
Talked with Apple Engineering...depending on how you did a fresh install of 10.4.6 and where you got it, the security update that's causing the problem could still persist.

To really test you would need a completely formatted drive and a copy of 10.14.5 or 10.14.6 from before the previous two security patches and then do the reinstall without network access so the security patch isn't stealth installed.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
Talked with Apple Engineering...depending on how you did a fresh install of 10.4.6 and where you got it, the security update that's causing the problem could still persist.

To really test you would need a completely formatted drive and a copy of 10.14.5 or 10.14.6 from before the previous two security patches and then do the reinstall without network access so the security patch isn't stealth installed.
I did an erase and reinstall.

rwross

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
@wellander1 ... thanks for the info

This is confusing...I have three machines that have this issue and one that does not. The second machine was working until I applied the security patch, then became non-functional upon reboot, leaving only the one without the security patch still working.

Where did you get the copy of 10.14.6 to do the erase and install and is it prompting you to install the the 2021-002 security patch?

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
@wellander1 ... thanks for the info

This is confusing...I have three machines that have this issue and one that does not. The second machine was working until I applied the security patch, then became non-functional upon reboot, leaving only the one without the security patch still working.

Where did you get the copy of 10.14.6 to do the erase and install and is it prompting you to install the the 2021-002 security patch?
I got the copy of 10.14.6 from the app store right after 10.4.6 was released (a long time ago) I have not gone back to updates yet as I just want to fix this issue before I do anything else.

marctouitou

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
A German user who followed the same steps and got the same result:

appstore under 10.14.6 without function, no longer works

« Hi,
the appstore doesn't work anymore.

Apps to be updated: I click, the wheel turns, nothing happens.
Reloading already loaded but uninstalled apps does not work (turning cog)
Loading new apps that have not yet been loaded is also not possible

So, in summary, quite simply: Nothing works.
I have already tried the following without success:

Log out of the appstore / iCloud, restart, log in again
Clear caches
Delete .plist from the app store
Change certificate (Digicert) and reset it
Safe system start performed
Create new user
10.14.6 reloaded and installed over it
Time / date set manually forwards or backwards
chatted with the support, who unfortunately only gave me the succinct hint that I should upgrade to Big Sur.

Since I am still dependent on 32-bit (using Adobe CS6) this is not an alternative.
That a device is apparently "thrown out" with this, the operating system of which is just 2 years and 4 months old, cannot be the last word of wisdom and would be a poor testimony for Apple. And then wasting more than 6 hours of my time due to a lack of information and it still doesn't work is really annoying for me.

Does anyone have a working workaround for this problem?

Thanks and regards »

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252471137
Hi
100% the same process. Plus: I restarted with a carbon copy BEFORE the security update, and ... the same issue.
With Yosemite, it works.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Same issue. Discovered just this morning as MP5,1 didn't go to sleep. Tried clearing caches to no avail. I'm wondering if the issue is server side or if 2021-002 borked something though I doubt it. I updated to 2021-002 on the day it came out and App Store was still functioning. Whatever happened, happened recently.

FWIW, my MP3,1 running a patched version of Catalina can still update/download apps from AS. Go figure.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Hi
100% the same process. Plus: I restarted with a carbon copy BEFORE the security update, and ... the same issue.
With Yosemite, it works.
I just booted into my CCC5 clone to see if perhaps the last update to MRT and XProtect I did yesterday had something to do with it, but if you're seeing the same results pre-SU2, then this issue is likely server side.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
I know I sound like a broken record but after applying the steps in post #30 (and not rebooting, important!), I can download previously installed apps clicking the cloud icon. Like I said, some apps, even if installed, shows the cloud icon still...

So, server problem of certificate problem, your thoughts?

BTW, I can't really escalate my problem to Apple support as my two iMacs aren't real one (Hackintoshes).

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Well this is new... now I'm getting a 'Cannot Connect to App Store' message. This wasn't appearing this morning, so perhaps Apple is doing something behind the scenes?

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Well this is new... now I'm getting a 'Cannot Connect to App Store' message. This wasn't appearing this morning, so perhaps Apple is doing something behind the scenes?
At first, a few days ago when I experienced the bug for the first time, I had the same message. Then, the message disappeared but AppStore was borked as explained in my first post and the Apple support forums.

For what’s it’s worth, disabling the Digicert certificate in keychain give the same result instantly. Maybe they are working on a bug fix, I hope!

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
At first, a few days ago when I experienced the bug for the first time, I had the same message. Then, the message disappeared but AppStore was borked as explained in my first post and the Apple support forums.

For what’s it’s worth, disabling the Digicert certificate in keychain give the same result instantly. Maybe they are working on a bug fix, I hope!
It has to be certificate based. I can't think of anything else as I haven't updated anything on my MP5,1 since the 2021-002 supplemental release on 9 February. App Store was working just fine right after that and I do recall updating several applications such as the desktop client of Signal since then without issue. It was only yesterday evening when I noticed a new WhatsApp update that I went and clicked on it. Nothing happened. I ended up getting distracted with work and left the Mac after a few hours. It was only this morning that I discovered my MP5,1 never entered sleep mode, and the only application running was App Store. So I started investigating further, and this is where I find myself now.

But yes, I do hope Apple gets their **** together. For the past 10 years it seems they manage to fix two things while breaking something else in the process and leaving end users to QC/QA. Getting real tired of it.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015

Clean installing Mojave 18G103 (which is a Sept 26 2019 release that pre-dates COVID-19) with no updates done the problem persists. I'm pretty sure the issue is at the server end. And that infuriates me totally as Apple could fix this in 10 mins if they wanted to! ??

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
From Apple community forums:
While running App Store go to Activity Monitor app and force kill appstoreagent process.
Starting download/update again everythig works as expected, but until quit App Store,
then problem apear again.

Can confirm the above workaround works. I was able to update WhatsApp successfully.

Original post here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252471707?page=1

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Clean installing Mojave 18G103 (which is a Sept 26 2019 release that pre-dates COVID-19) with no updates done the problem persists. I'm pretty sure the issue is at the server end. And that infuriates me totally as Apple could fix this in 10 mins if they wanted to! ??
Isn't it funny - Apple extols the greatness of the App stores. How it helps consumers and protects us from the evils lurking out there. But, we can't even use it and they tell us there's nothing wrong!

I have the same problem as everybody here seems to. I tried the remedies. At least I now don't get the "cloud" buttons for installed apps - I get "Open". Clicking on "Open" does nothing.

Between this and the crazy firmware bug for iMac 17.1 models, I get the idea that Apple really doesn't want these computers to live any longer. They're constantly breaking stuff that used to work. Why??

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
It has to be certificate based. I can't think of anything else as I haven't updated anything on my MP5,1 since the 2021-002 supplemental release on 9 February. App Store was working just fine right after that and I do recall updating several applications such as the desktop client of Signal since then without issue. It was only yesterday evening when I noticed a new WhatsApp update that I went and clicked on it. Nothing happened. I ended up getting distracted with work and left the Mac after a few hours. It was only this morning that I discovered my MP5,1 never entered sleep mode, and the only application running was App Store. So I started investigating further, and this is where I find myself now.

But yes, I do hope Apple gets their **** together. For the past 10 years it seems they manage to fix two things while breaking something else in the process and leaving end users to QC/QA. Getting real tired of it.
Same problem here on a MacPro 5,1. Apple support won't help.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Same problem here on a MacPro 5,1. Apple support won't help.
Check post #47 for a workaround (if you have pending updates) until the geniuses at Apple figure this crap out. Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.