Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I have filed a bug report about this on January 15. Over a month later haven't got any response, so yesterday, February 24, I chatted with support. I was escalated to a clueless higher level person 3 times and finally transferred over a phone support, who also called the iTunes group to see if this is a regional issue (eg having a US account but currently in the EU). I told them this is not the first time I am in the EU with Mojave and downloads worked fine, so this is NOT a regional/locale issue.

I cannot believe how many clueless people are there at Apple. Granted, they are very nice and polite and trying to be helpful, but aside from how to turn on your computer, they are clearly no help in more involved cases.

One of them said he checked my account in the backend side of things and all was well, so the issue is with my system.

So I thought why not do a clean install of 10.14.6. That should alleviate the problem. Nope. First I just installed the original 10.14.6 package with no updates. No luck. Apps are still not getting downloaded, just the usual spinning cursor is visible forever. Then I installed the latest updates and security patches. Still nothing.

I have noticed from time to time, that when Apple releases a major version, the App Store messes up with the downloads, but so far this issue never lasted this long.

So now here I am with a cleanly installed OS and cannot put any apps on it from the app store. I have no understanding that why Apple has not figured this out in the past, since it happened before as well.

It seemed to me that the only thing support does is trying push people to install their latest OS. They are nothing but salesmen. The phone support person screen shared with me and checked basic things like what is my model and how much free space I have. Right, because it is not something you can just ASK, you need to SCREENSHARE to find it out!!! I am extremely furious at the moment.

Submitted ANOTHER bug report of this same issue yesterday - like that will make a difference - but I don't care. This is really insane!

I am sure you guys seen this...
https://support.itsolver.net/hc/en-...36-macOS-Mojave-won-t-download-from-App-Store

this...
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...r-500-com-apple-commerce-client/352847#352847

and this...
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/350669/cant-install-updates-from-macos-app-store

None of them helps.
Apple support is clueless by design. They are very empathetic and feel your pain but no resolution in the end.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
I have filed a bug report about this on January 15. Over a month later haven't got any response, so yesterday, February 24, I chatted with support. I was escalated to a clueless higher level person 3 times and finally transferred over a phone support, who also called the iTunes group to see if this is a regional issue (eg having a US account but currently in the EU). I told them this is not the first time I am in the EU with Mojave and downloads worked fine, so this is NOT a regional/locale issue.

I cannot believe how many clueless people are there at Apple. Granted, they are very nice and polite and trying to be helpful, but aside from how to turn on your computer, they are clearly no help in more involved cases.

One of them said he checked my account in the backend side of things and all was well, so the issue is with my system.

So I thought why not do a clean install of 10.14.6. That should alleviate the problem. Nope. First I just installed the original 10.14.6 package with no updates. No luck. Apps are still not getting downloaded, just the usual spinning cursor is visible forever. Then I installed the latest updates and security patches. Still nothing.

I have noticed from time to time, that when Apple releases a major version, the App Store messes up with the downloads, but so far this issue never lasted this long.

So now here I am with a cleanly installed OS and cannot put any apps on it from the app store. I have no understanding that why Apple has not figured this out in the past, since it happened before as well.

It seemed to me that the only thing support does is trying push people to install their latest OS. They are nothing but salesmen. The phone support person screen shared with me and checked basic things like what is my model and how much free space I have. Right, because it is not something you can just ASK, you need to SCREENSHARE to find it out!!! I am extremely furious at the moment.

Submitted ANOTHER bug report of this same issue yesterday - like that will make a difference - but I don't care. This is really insane!

I am sure you guys seen this...
https://support.itsolver.net/hc/en-...36-macOS-Mojave-won-t-download-from-App-Store

this...
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...r-500-com-apple-commerce-client/352847#352847

and this...
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/350669/cant-install-updates-from-macos-app-store

None of them helps.
Those likes seem to referring to an issue over two(2) years ago. Not this problem.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Those likes seem to referring to an issue over two(2) years ago. Not this problem.
Ditto. I don’t think that the StackExchange posts are related in anyway to the actual malfunction. However, take a look at the Apple Support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/

A lot of threads on the same subject all starting around February 17th or 18th. Mojave is probably not a priority for them :(

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Last edited:

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
i do it after i start the download (while it's hanging, open activity monitor, search for the agent, kill it) and then it starts dosnloading
Insane, isn't it? A strong incentive not to use the App Store.

Imagine what people who don't read the right threads in he right forums are doing to solve their problems with this. (Answer: Either giving up or pestering Apple.)

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Insane, isn't it? A strong incentive not to use the App Store.

Imagine what people who don't read the right threads in he right forums are doing to solve their problems with this. (Answer: Either giving up or pestering Apple.)
10,000 uninformed people pestering Apple would be better than a handful who know saying "this s--- is broken, fix it!" They serve their purpose lol.

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
10,000 uninformed people pestering Apple would be better than a handful who know saying "this s--- is broken, fix it!" They serve their purpose lol.
Problem is... How many will either follow the advice to upgrade to Big Sur or buy a new computer? That might be counterproductive to getting someone to actually fix the problem.

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
So yes I'm having the same issues. Apple chat support were friendly but unable to do anything except I update my OS! Happening on both laptop and iMac running 10.14.6 and latest security update applied. Have submitted bug to Apple. (Strangely on my laptop it seems to think some of my apps are in the cloud... they're not..)

Ah OK so I have followed the update process suggested by Marek on Apple discussions and that does work.

Last edited:

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
So yes I'm having the same issues. Apple chat support were friendly but unable to do anything except I update my OS! Happening on both laptop and iMac running 10.14.6 and latest security update applied. Have submitted bug to Apple. (Strangely on my laptop it seems to think some of my apps are in the cloud... they're not..)

Ah OK so I have followed the update process suggested by Marek on Apple discussions and that does work.
Really annoying that Apple proposes to update to Big Sur...

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
The fix at post #3 works to allow downloads of updates. But after a restart, you are back to square one. And it doesn't work at all for downloading new purchases. From the number of Mojave users hereabouts with the same issue, looks like Apple is losing cash from the Mac App Store. Hopefully, we'll get a bug fix ASAP, either from Apple's end or via a....download?????

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
The strangest thing just happened.

I got a notification that there were two updates in the App Store. So, I opened the App Store app to download them. I was already prepared to kill appstoreagent and started the download.

Guess what? The apps downloaded without killing appstoreagent.

Obviously, I don't know if this was a special one off thing, or if the problem is fixed. Anybody else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.