Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
With the lack of modern app development on the Windows side as well as its intuitive UI on a tablet device, I wouldn't be surprised that the new Surface Go won't even dent iPad's market share and even Surface Pro's market share. Also, forcing the ever growing Windows updates on a 64 GB storage would simply consume the whole space, leaving nothing for the user and essentially making the device useless. Finally, it's redundant to me that you simply can't force a desktop oriented OS and programs on a tablet and have a user friendly interface which is again the main reason Apple would never integrate iOS and OS X apps and UI IMO.

Would you guys be tempted to get one of these?

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
It is DOA.

This device is either 150$ too expensive (factor in keyboard cover and pen and you are competing with ultrabooks on price) or it’s 1/3 too slow or it has 1/3 not enough battery (we all know Microsoft's "9 hours" is more like 6) - pick your dealbreaker.

I wonder when Microsoft will just give up. They don’t have a touch app ecosystem and they aren’t getting one. Even people who actually own Surface devices use regular Windows applications vast majority of the time.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Surface go at 399$ with that 64 so slow storage and 4 gb ram? So you must stay on windows 10S to at least feel you have a 2018 product
So a normal user who want win 10 on it should get the 550$ so..

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think more choices is always better for the consumer. I do not expect my iPad to be a real computer but for cruising the Internet, it is my favorite.

This idea that the iPad is not a “real’ computer... doesn’t make sense. What is a “real” computer? If you haven’t notice, the iPad can do so much more than cruise the internet.

There’s plenty of dedicated apps that can help with getting task done. Take for instance Federico Viticci, he’s been using the iPad as his daily driver. And I haven’t had a laptop in quite awhile... I use my iPad as my “real” computer. Granted, I have a 27 inch iMac... but I tend to use that to have a larger view. The iPad is a very capable computer, just saying.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Idea: put Linux on this little puppy! Then it might be usable.

Of course Microsoft has their hands in Ubuntu anyway and that'd likely defeat that idea.

Speaking of which I wonder if I should switch to mint

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This idea that the iPad is not a “real’ computer... doesn’t make sense. What is a “real” computer? If you haven’t notice, the iPad can do so much more than cruise the internet.

There’s plenty of dedicated apps that can help with getting task done. Take for instance Federico Viticci, he’s been using the iPad as his daily driver. And I haven’t had a laptop in quite awhile... I use my iPad as my “real” computer. Granted, I have a 27 inch iMac... but I tend to use that to have a larger view. The iPad is a very capable computer, just saying.

Sorry but it is only a tablet to me and a well loved one at that, but it can not run my AutoCad, full MS Office suite, QBPro and others. I prefer to call the iPad a tablet, but if a computer for you, that is fine, too!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's DOA. This is coming form this forums biggest Microsoft cheerleader. It's baffling to see MS make the same mistakes over and over again, and definitely disheartening. This isn't the same outlook I have for other surface products, only the GO.
[doublepost=1531324367][/doublepost]
It is DOA.

This device is either 150$ too expensive (factor in keyboard cover and pen and you are competing with ultrabooks on price) or it’s 1/3 too slow or it has 1/3 not enough battery (we all know Microsoft's "9 hours" is more like 6) - pick your dealbreaker.

I wonder when Microsoft will just give up. They don’t have a touch app ecosystem and they aren’t getting one. Even people who actually own Surface devices use regular Windows applications vast majority of the time.

Sure they have a touch ecosystem, I believe their app market is 700,000 apps or so last I looked. Anything that the app market doesn't have can be replicated with a legacy program or web app. I've yet to come across any non niche app that the windows ecosystem cannot replicate. I know I know "but windows suxor for touch", but it really doesn't, it's made incredible strides in the past few years as a touch OS, heck even in the past few months, April brought a huge update and changes.

With that said, I still think the GO is terrible and will tank badly. Watch for a similar fiasco as the Windows RT write down.

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry but it is only a tablet to me and a well loved one at that, but it can not run my AutoCad, full MS Office suite, QBPro and others. I prefer to call the iPad a tablet, but if a computer for you, that is fine, too!

Agree, its a fancy tablet / large phone at best. I wish it could run AutoCad. It's more than capable to do it too. If it could run some desktop programs like sketch up and adobe suites I would buy one immediately. Sadly, I don't think will ever get there unless there is a jailbreak or something that can allow programs like that to be installed. I think I saw something that you can use the the iPad as second screen and do work from it? I really want one, but the surface line is more suited for my work.

Reactions: SDColorado

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Tax-free weekend and my birthday right at the time of release will probably justify the hour drive to the nearest Microsoft store so I can look at the 8 G/128 G models. The statistical software that I teach and use runs only on Windows. On the weekends when we are at our camp, hauling a Windows computer so I can answer students' questions is a PITA. A 13" Toshiba ultraportable is too big, so I got a Surface Pro 3. Still too big, so I got a Surface 3. That's still too big. The Dell 8" tablet is a little too small and the storage is so small that I haven't been able to install the latest Win 10 update.

According to what I've read, the Go will be faster than both the SP3 and S3 that I have, and both of those are fast enough for what I need. I haul the S3 to class to run the statistical software and Office, but the Go is even smaller, which is fine with me. If the Go works, I may get rid of all four of the other Windows portables that I currently have, or maybe all but the SP 3 (for the larger screen).

I can afford it and will get one if I like it when I see and touch it. I have a very specific, uncommon use case, though, and I'm not as price-sensitive as most people. I've always preferred the lightest, smallest portables and am accustomed to paying dearly for it, back in the day.

Depending on what iPads are announced, I may be considering one (or two) of those as well, although I'm really happy with the iPP 10.5. If there's a new smaller one, I would certainly look at it as a replacement for my Mini 4. Am not interested in anything physically larger than the iPP 10.5 so a new Pro probably isn't as interesting, but that will depend on features. Unlike a lot of people, I'm not bothered by bezels or Home buttons.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I priced a Surface Go this morning on educational discount upped the specs, added keyboard, mouse and pen. Without the warranty and tax it was heading into Surface Pro pricing, so a definite skip for me.

Since new desktop Macs may finally be on the horizon, I am putting off replacing my 2nd gen 12.9” until a WiFi 10.5” is drastically reduced in price. Do not need or want the bells and whistles and now that I know my tablet needs and wants, any kind of Surface would be overkill.

Still, I am glad MS keeps trying to innovate (watch they’ll finally update the Surface Studio AFTER I replace my iMac:eek::confused::rolleyes:). I will keep learning about Windows 10 via my Acer laptop - why let that go to waste if it can serve as my primary Uni machine?

Regardless, I like reading about forum members experiences with competition and I hope anyone who buys the Go gets solid use from it.

With the pricing and some specs, I am kind of lost as to who the market for the Go would be, butI am not sure if it will be DOA.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I think some people are triggered by hearing the iPad isn’t the best thing for everybody. Like it’s some personal attack on their purchasing decision.

I love the iPad and find it very capable, but I totally get it when people say it’s too limited for them

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I would have loved for this to have been a premiere device for the Qualcomm 850 that’s supposed to be coming out soon.
[doublepost=1531339320][/doublepost]
I think some people are triggered by hearing the iPad isn’t the best thing for everybody. Like it’s some personal attack on their purchasing decision.

I love the iPad and find it very capable, but I totally get it when people say it’s too limited for them

Except most people around here don’t say “it’s not for me”, they say “it’s not a real computer that can do real work”. That’s not a statement of preference or of personal experience. That’s a statement of the worth of an iPad overall. It’s not “I can’t get my work done on this”, it’s “work can’t be done on this period”. Some people get annoyed by such statements.

Reactions: Ghost31

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Exactly. Use to be all Apple hardware until the keyboard thing on my MBPro. What a nightmare that was. Now I use what works and the iPad sure fits in

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

It’s not as if I’m defending my purchasing decision. It’s just this label keep being thrown around “real” computer.

And because it doesn’t run these specialized programs designated for high powered gpu computing devices then it’s not considered a “real” computer.

So, are we basis it on how powerful a computing device is that it would be considered a “real” computer? For instance comparing the Mac Mini to a iMac Pro, the iMac Pro is a “real” computer since it can handle specialized programs better than that of the Mac Mini.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
It’s not as if I’m defending my purchasing decision. It’s just this label keep being thrown around “real” computer.

And because it doesn’t run these specialized programs designated for high powered gpu computing devices then it’s not considered a “real” computer.

So, are we basis it on how powerful a computing device is that it would be considered a “real” computer? For instance comparing the Mac Mini to a iMac Pro, the iMac Pro is a “real” computer since it can handle specialized programs better than that of the Mac Mini.

I think “real computer” is just shorthand for a certain idea of basic UI paradigms that we are used to. More open computing system. Multiple resizable windows, a file system with complete control, the ability to download apps outside of an ecosystem, the ability to interface better with accessories. Pro level applications.

What we have with iPad is something different. It’s mostly casual. By far. These just aren’t devices people use for serious programming or video editing or other specialized works for obvious reasons. It’s just a casual device that has some cool uses that CAN be translated to professional work, but it’s definitely more difficult. You CAN edit word documents on it, but people that do it for a living on a large scale definitely won’t. You CAN edit video on it, but if you do it for a living your needs will definitely require more.

The problem with iPad is it’s got tons of processing power but we don’t see pro level apps on it we see Luma fusion, but not final cut or adobe or Sony Vegas. And even if we did, are we gonna edit on small screens the whole time? Why can’t I connect it to a large 27inch monitor, put it with a keyboard and have something akin to a mouse? The interfacing experience for pro level work doesn’t translate well if it’s purely touchscreen. So it’ll always be small time “editing my weekend at Disney world” videos on iPad unless you change the way you can use it. The touchscreen ONLY interface holds it back.

But anyway I’m just ranting. I’ve been watching this “is ipad a real computer” for almost a decade while using an iPad as my main computer and these conversations always go around in circles. It’s always.

“iPad isn’t a real computer for X reasons”

Then people chime in “but I use it for some of my own X reasons”

Ok then. So it’s good for some and not for others. That’s how it’ll always be. Personally? I think the very fact we argue over these differences mean the tablet form factor won’t last forever. We will transcend ANY form factor and have a “computing everywhere” approach. There will be a way to compute through augmented reality. Through windows (literal windows) through VR. Through table surfaces. 20 years from now we will look at tablets and laptops and wonder how we ever used computers that were fixed in a certain form factor

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
This is all so funny, but my experience with "computers" goes back to the late 1970s (including mainframes and CP/M). Anything we can get our hands on now is so much more powerful, so much more usable, and so much less expensive than what we had only a few years ago. I enjoy my iPads, I enjoy my Win portables, and my Win workstation is my work horse. Technology today is amazing!

Reactions: Booji

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I think “real computer” is just shorthand for a certain idea of basic UI paradigms that we are used to. More open computing system. Multiple resizable windows, a file system with complete control, the ability to download apps outside of an ecosystem, the ability to interface better with accessories. Pro level applications.

What we have with iPad is something different. It’s mostly casual. By far. These just aren’t devices people use for serious programming or video editing or other specialized works for obvious reasons. It’s just a casual device that has some cool uses that CAN be translated to professional work, but it’s definitely more difficult. You CAN edit word documents on it, but people that do it for a living on a large scale definitely won’t. You CAN edit video on it, but if you do it for a living your needs will definitely require more.

The problem with iPad is it’s got tons of processing power but we don’t see pro level apps on it we see Luma fusion, but not final cut or adobe or Sony Vegas. And even if we did, are we gonna edit on small screens the whole time? Why can’t I connect it to a large 27inch monitor, put it with a keyboard and have something akin to a mouse? The interfacing experience for pro level work doesn’t translate well if it’s purely touchscreen. So it’ll always be small time “editing my weekend at Disney world” videos on iPad unless you change the way you can use it. The touchscreen ONLY interface holds it back.

But anyway I’m just ranting. I’ve been watching this “is ipad a real computer” for almost a decade while using an iPad as my main computer and these conversations always go around in circles. It’s always.

“iPad isn’t a real computer for X reasons”

Then people chime in “but I use it for some of my own X reasons”

Ok then. So it’s good for some and not for others. That’s how it’ll always be. Personally? I think the very fact we argue over these differences mean the tablet form factor won’t last forever. We will transcend ANY form factor and have a “computing everywhere” approach. There will be a way to compute through augmented reality. Through windows (literal windows) through VR. Through table surfaces. 20 years from now we will look at tablets and laptops and wonder how we ever used computers that were fixed in a certain form factor
That is starting to change though. See Scrivener, Affinity Photo and Designer, Coda, etc.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
That is starting to change though. See Scrivener, Affinity Photo and Designer, Coda, etc.

It’s changing...ish. The market dropped for conventional pc’s and more causal computing rose in popularity a bit. It would be interesting to see studies done by really smart people on this topic though. Like is tablet computing where we are going to see some solid growth in the next decade? Or will a new thing come along to change all that? And will usage and usefulness level off at some point? Will we get some cool apps, but it’ll still never be as good as desktop versions so this debate will keep going? Or will there be something else we use. Like a Microsoft continuum concept type of thing where we plug our smartphones into a desktop for more functionality

Stuff to think about

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I used DeX on Note 8 and S8+ and found 6GB helped. Now Samsung is adding DeX support to the S4 Tab. Qualcomm is also working on Snapdragon series more suited to DeX and Windows 10 varieties.

It was fun running my Note on a monitor with mouse and keyboard support. Things that can be done on mobile but are faster and easier when in “desktop mode.”

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
I used DeX on Note 8 and S8+ and found 6GB helped. Now Samsung is adding DeX support to the S4 Tab. Qualcomm is also working on Snapdragon series more suited to DeX and Windows 10 varieties.

It was fun running my Note on a monitor with mouse and keyboard support. Things that can be done on mobile but are faster and easier when in “desktop mode.”
That is why i consider the note series, more of a computer than an iPad, even without a mouse+keyboard and monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.