Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
How do you mean?

I'm assuming you mean the bad part, of which there are three types of issues:
Doesn't have a first party or third party app, site isn't touch friendly
Doesn't have first party app, third party app isn't good
Microsoft changed something in link handling or something else and breaks an app

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm assuming you mean the bad part, of which there are three types of issues:
Doesn't have a first party or third party app, site isn't touch friendly
Doesn't have first party app, third party app isn't good
Microsoft changed something in link handling or something else and breaks an app
You just running in 10S mode ?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah, I really thought I would prefer windows, putting aside the battery issue for a second. But on a small device it is nice to be free of windows. No more waiting 30 seconds for it to start up from hibernation, or having it suck up 1/2 of the battery while in my bag because sleep mode sucks in windows for power. I can definitely put up with that nonsense on the pro because it's a larger device and that's how I use it, but not on a smaller one. I already went that route with a MiPad2 which is currently being used for lullabies/white noise to put my baby to sleep.

Well it's not that bad from hibernation about 10 seconds to windows hello :) so I have set it to sleep at first then after 30 mins go to hibernation for when in bag scenarios :D

Bluestacks runs and my streaming app was ok other than sound was a bit crackly at times so will have a fiddle to see if I can improve this, but it hogs the GO resources, defiantly only for occasional dedicated use, may see if there is a lighter emulator

Else

KB is great and trackpad, top bezel is a bit wide and they could of made them 5mm smaller IMO, but next to my sons IPP 10" that has bigger left/right bezels and the same for my Tab S3 although both have smaller top and bottom ones (re landscape mode)

It's certainly snappy enough and miles better than W10 Atom based 2in1's I have previously tried

Got the basics on and Office plus synched maybe 4GB of mail and have around mid 80GB left
[doublepost=1535699370][/doublepost]
Yes. I'm trying to run it like a normal person would.
Sorry to report I'm not normal :D

I found an unused W10 Pro key left over from a bootcamp rMB so gone full hog :)

Can be quite tough I should imagine in S mode, personally I only use a handful of store apps (WhatsApp, Netflix, HP printer)

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well it's not that bad from hibernation about 10 seconds to windows hello :) so I have set it to sleep at first then after 30 mins go to hibernation for when in bag scenarios :D

Bluestacks runs and my streaming app was ok other than sound was a bit crackly at times so will have a fiddle to see if I can improve this, but it hogs the GO resources, defiantly only for occasional dedicated use, may see if there is a lighter emulator

Else

KB is great and trackpad, top bezel is a bit wide and they could of made them 5mm smaller IMO, but next to my sons IPP 10" that has bigger left/right bezels and the same for my Tab S3 although both have smaller top and bottom ones (re landscape mode)

It's certainly snappy enough and miles better than W10 Atom based 2in1's I have previously tried

Got the basics on and Office plus synched maybe 4GB of mail and have around mid 80GB left

Can be quite tough I should imagine in S mode, personally I only use a handful of store apps (WhatsApp, Netflix, HP printer)

Also, it'd suck to use as just a tablet with most desktop apps.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Else

Hmm, so android running fluidly (as fluidly as on a native android tablet) is still a dream it seems. It's still nice to have the option, but I was hoping it would have improved more since I last used it a couple of years ago.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Hmm, so android running fluidly (as fluidly as on a native android tablet) is still a dream it seems. It's still nice to have the option, but I was hoping it would have improved more since I last used it a couple of years ago.
I doubt you will ever get 100% fluidity especially as these emulators are more focused on gamers or developers

But for individual titles or genre they are good. There is of course Remix OS which is a bootable Android OS so maybe more fluid

I tried Nox with random success MeMu never got pass 99% loading going to try Ko Player as it's suppose to be a lighter overhead I hope for the GO

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Someone should change the title of this thread to The Surface Go is Actually Pretty Good because it is actually pretty good.

I've been looking to see if this can replace my 2016 MacBook and my 9.7-inch iPad Pro for when I travel for work. Before buying the Surface Go, the MacBook has been my go to device for traveling on the road and in and out of airports. With the Go's seemingly lackluster hardware and reports on mediocre battery life and performance, I thought this was going to be a tough sell for me and that I was going to return it in 24 hours. I am on Day 5 and I haven't even touched the MacBook and the iPad.

I posted in the Alternative Hardware forum that I found that the Go is actually a decent tablet if you use Edge when you aren't using the keyboard. It's almost the same level as Safari is on the iPad with more versatility being that this is running a full desktop operating system. YouTube, Gail, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and all the sites I frequently use run smoothly. Chrome on the other hand, is garbage if you rely solely on touch. It does work well if you stick with the keyboard and mouse.

Main apps that I use on the Go is Office 365, Evernote (yes I still can't fully switch to OneNote), Adobe Acrobat, Chrome (when docked) and RetroArch and it has met or exceeded my expectations. No lag issues, I multitask a lot and switch between apps all the time.

I'm very interested in what Apple is announcing this week as well as Microsoft in October so I will be hanging on to the Surface Go until then. Hoping to see iPad with mouse support one day or a Surface Book/Pro with Thunderbolt 3 :)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Someone should change the title of this thread to The Surface Go is Actually Pretty Good because it is actually pretty good.

I've been looking to see if this can replace my 2016 MacBook and my 9.7-inch iPad Pro for when I travel for work. Before buying the Surface Go, the MacBook has been my go to device for traveling on the road and in and out of airports. With the Go's seemingly lackluster hardware and reports on mediocre battery life and performance, I thought this was going to be a tough sell for me and that I was going to return it in 24 hours. I am on Day 5 and I haven't even touched the MacBook and the iPad.

I posted in the Alternative Hardware forum that I found that the Go is actually a decent tablet if you use Edge when you aren't using the keyboard. It's almost the same level as Safari is on the iPad with more versatility being that this is running a full desktop operating system. YouTube, Gail, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and all the sites I frequently use run smoothly. Chrome on the other hand, is garbage if you rely solely on touch. It does work well if you stick with the keyboard and mouse.

Main apps that I use on the Go is Office 365, Evernote (yes I still can't fully switch to OneNote), Adobe Acrobat, Chrome (when docked) and RetroArch and it has met or exceeded my expectations. No lag issues, I multitask a lot and switch between apps all the time.

I'm very interested in what Apple is announcing this week as well as Microsoft in October so I will be hanging on to the Surface Go until then. Hoping to see iPad with mouse support one day or a Surface Book/Pro with Thunderbolt 3 :)
Yes it's holding up remarkably well IMO

I know MS seem to quote some whacky battery life and 5-6 hrs is more the norm but today was a public holiday so I had a lazy day with just a few emails and Kindle book

I managed 8hrs 24mis and only down to 41% so easily in excess of 12hr is possible :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If you guys want a new Pro, Microsoft are holding a Surface event beginning of October, maybe on the 2nd if I remember correctly?
So new Pros and Studio and possibly phone expected.

Yeah, the rumor is that the Pro lineup will refresh the CPU and possibly throw in USB-C like the Go has. That's not enough for me to upgrade my 2017 Pro, so I will be waiting for next year and the rumored redesign of the Pro. There are some pretty awesome discounts on the Pro line so it's a great time to buy the 2017 model, and you won't be missing much if the rumors are true about the 2018 model. The only caveat is that if they significantly improve battery life then I'll be first in line to buy one, even if everything else remains virtually unchanged, but I highly doubt that will be the case. It seems that without a major technological break through Windows on a tablet has hit a battery life ceiling, at least for any kind of substantial increase.

I believe they will release a new Studio, as it's been almost a couple of years. I'm very tempted by one of those, but don't know if I could downgrade my current 40" 4k monitor at work for 28" even if it has a touchscreen and a PC built in. I wish they sold the studio separately as a monitor, I would buy that as a secondary monitor in a second.

No surface phone/Andromeda though, at least everyone highly doubts it. I would have thought MS would want to get out in front of Samsungs foldable phone which rumors point to being announced in Jan 2019, but then again MS never really rushed to be in front of anyone and is more like the turtle who eventually gets to the finish line.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yeah, the rumor is that the Pro lineup will refresh the CPU and possibly throw in USB-C like the Go has. That's not enough for me to upgrade my 2017 Pro, so I will be waiting for next year and the rumored redesign of the Pro. There are some pretty awesome discounts on the Pro line so it's a great time to buy the 2017 model, and you won't be missing much if the rumors are true about the 2018 model. The only caveat is that if they significantly improve battery life then I'll be first in line to buy one, even if everything else remains virtually unchanged, but I highly doubt that will be the case. It seems that without a major technological break through Windows on a tablet has hit a battery life ceiling, at least for any kind of substantial increase.

I believe they will release a new Studio, as it's been almost a couple of years. I'm very tempted by one of those, but don't know if I could downgrade my current 40" 4k monitor at work for 28" even if it has a touchscreen and a PC built in. I wish they sold the studio separately as a monitor, I would buy that as a secondary monitor in a second.

No surface phone/Andromeda though, at least everyone highly doubts it. I would have thought MS would want to get out in front of Samsungs foldable phone which rumors point to being announced in Jan 2019, but then again MS never really rushed to be in front of anyone and is more like the turtle who eventually gets to the finish line.

Your 40” monitor is only 2” smaller then my TV! What do you use it for?

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

The title is probably good because it gets people to read the thread!

I'm interested in how you are using Evernote that is preventing you from moving to OneNote. I use OneNote a lot and like a lot about it, but still not quite where I want to be with my workflow... just curious what Evernote is buying you?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
The title is probably good because it gets people to read the thread!

I'm interested in how you are using Evernote that is preventing you from moving to OneNote. I use OneNote a lot and like a lot about it, but still not quite where I want to be with my workflow... just curious what Evernote is buying you?

I've used Evernote for years across my Apple devices as well as Android. Just very used to it and could never get used to how OneNote organizes everything. On the Surfcace, I do use it when I'm writing stuff with the pen. Maybe when my premium subscription ends, I'll switch over to OneNote next year...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Your 40” monitor is only 2” smaller then my TV! What do you use it for?

Lol, I have a 28" 4k monitor as well on the side on a swivel arm. I do a LOT of paperwork, just an obscene amount of it. I usually have 9 or 10 programs open at the same time, EHR, PDF editor, email, MS Word, MS Excel, DICOM/PACS, MS Edge, File explorer, etc. Heck even those 2 monitors aren't enough at times.

At home I have a 49" monitor on my desktop, but that's mainly because I like to decompress over the weekends with a good PC video game or 2. Well the desktop is also hooked up to a 120" projector screen that is my bedroom TV, but I mainly use that for Netflix/TV.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Lol, I have a 28" 4k monitor as well on the side on a swivel arm. I do a LOT of paperwork, just an obscene amount of it. I usually have 9 or 10 programs open at the same time, EHR, PDF editor, email, MS Word, MS Excel, DICOM/PACS, MS Edge, File explorer, etc. Heck even those 2 monitors aren't enough at times.

At home I have a 49" monitor on my desktop, but that's mainly because I like to decompress over the weekends with a good PC video game or 2. Well the desktop is also hooked up to a 120" projector screen that is my bedroom TV, but I mainly use that for Netflix/TV.

Blimey, too much haha! I like the idea if your giant gaming monitor though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.