Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Yep, a guy who's sig line is 100% Apple stuff is an expert on what "everyone" wants in a Windows based tablet which fills a space that Apple has completely ignored. Definitely click bait.

For me, I have a Surface Pro and am still tempted by this thing... will wait until I have a chance to play with it in the Microsoft Store. I'm intrigued by the form factor.

I'm on a Mac forum so yes I'm looking at this as a Mac OS user who could maybe be tempted across for personal devices. For the record I work on a Windows Workstation 8 hours a day and for project meetings we use Surface Books so I'm not all Mac.

They're marketing it as a 399 device but all the advertising shows accessories that aren't included in that price. It is running Windows 10 and has 64GB eMMC at base specs, what sort of performance and what usable space will the user expect - the OS will take 20GB+, so you'll be either running off SD cards or in a state of flux uploading to the cloud immediately, the remainder of the 64, minus formatting will be probably used for cached files. Windows 10 and 4GB RAM leaves you little headroom above OS, if this was an old machine being upgraded but this is new and a new machine for 399+accessories didn't need to be like this. 4GB RAM on a touch enabled device with a desktop OS....

I'm all for this segment of device but it's a shame, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD, bundle the pencil and sell it for 599, non of this 4GB/eMMC storage rubbish. The base model Surface Go in my opinion just dilutes the brand that is being built up by being underpowered and a 399 marketing ploy. In my opinion people will like the idea of one, buy it and be left disappointed, ''if only'' it had some more RAM etc. Typical windows/pc style approach.

Look at it like this, if Microsoft had released the Surface Go base model with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD and bundled the pen for 599, would many people have complained and demanded a cheaper machine with 4/64?!

Apple dumbed down the base Mac Mini, dropped the price 100 and at launch and ever since everyone has slated it. Who buys it - sales appear to be minimal?! If they'd made the base 8GB RAM and put in a 128GB SSD (for speed over the HDD) and made the price 100 higher then they probably would have avoided all the negativity directed at the Mac Mini segment. The lack of update for 4 years is another story! Same with the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm on a Mac forum so yes I'm looking at this as a Mac OS user who could maybe be tempted across for personal devices. For the record I work on a Windows Workstation 8 hours a day and for project meetings we use Surface Books so I'm not all Mac.

They're marketing it as a 399 device but all the advertising shows accessories that aren't included in that price. It is running Windows 10 and has 64GB eMMC at base specs, what sort of performance and what usable space will the user expect - the OS will take 20GB+, so you'll be either running off SD cards or in a state of flux uploading to the cloud immediately, the remainder of the 64, minus formatting will be probably used for cached files. Windows 10 and 4GB RAM leaves you little headroom above OS, if this was an old machine being upgraded but this is new and a new machine for 399+accessories didn't need to be like this. 4GB RAM on a touch enabled device with a desktop OS....

I'm all for this segment of device but it's a shame, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD, bundle the pencil and sell it for 599, non of this 4GB/eMMC storage rubbish. The base model Surface Go in my opinion just dilutes the brand that is being built up by being underpowered and a 399 marketing ploy. In my opinion people will like the idea of one, buy it and be left disappointed, ''if only'' it had some more RAM etc. Typical windows/pc style approach.

Look at it like this, if Microsoft had released the Surface Go base model with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD and bundled the pen for 599, would many people have complained and demanded a cheaper machine with 4/64?!
You're looking at the Surface Go in a vacuum, not in the context of the Surface line. Your criticisms of the Go employ the same logic that people use to complain about the 2018 iPad. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but I think it does not serve those trying to make a purchasing decision. Just as the 2018 is the value model for getting into a full-size iPad, the $399 Surface Go serves that same purpose.

Having said that, I know full well that the $399 model is primarily for marketing the $3xx price. But that doesn't mean it isn't usable.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
The 399 model isn't useless, yeah that's me saying that after previously bashing it. We all are familiar with the ipad argument on how most consumers only use their laptops to browse the web and check email, so why bother with a PC? That applies to the Go as well, most consumers will do things on it that will fall well within the specs of the 399 model. No one has really proven that the 399 model is significantly hamstrung anyway. It's not the model I would buy, but I would (and am) certainly consider it for my wife and daughter who want one. Plus you can always fall back onto the expansion memory, I can't see how it would be much slower than the eMMC anyhow.

Have a 128gb sd card installed in my 64gb go! Read speeds of 75mb/s compared to 250 mb/s. Use it for media and documents.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm starting to believe this whole obsession with read speeds has plateaued in relevance a while back. I mean, is read speed going to really be an issue for most people these days?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm starting to believe this whole obsession with read speeds has plateaued in relevance a while back. I mean, is read speed going to really be an issue for most people these days?
I think there is an over emphasis on this especially on MR as you would think the only people who buy a MBP are video editors :rolleyes:

In truth most of these banging on about read/write speeds are just cheaping out by only having 1 laptop.

Very few are actually working remotely I know Q6 literally works in the jungle with several laptops a beast for number crunching, plus back-up and another for continuing to be productive whilst the main is busy working

If your income is so dependant on read/write speeds and meeting deadlines 1 MBP or any laptop will never cut it same as people saying they have lost income waiting for repairs and replacements it's all just bad planning and risk mitigation

But you are right for the Go waiting a few more seconds or even mins for something to load is just spec knit picking or bragging rights eg Samsung LTE speeds

As long as resume is resonable so the grab works on the Go that's sufficient in my book. Is it worth paying double for faster micro SD, probably not for most.

Reactions: Queen6

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Everyone calm down here. I bought two of the 8GB Go models. They were fun and capable but both had defects in the camera bezel that runs the length of the case. It was raised on one and sunken on another so inconsistent to say the least. I had a few performance problems with Edge browser as well. I went took them back and bought a nice SPRO on sale with 8GB and i7 processor and couldn’t be happier.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Have a 128gb sd card installed in my 64gb go! Read speeds of 75mb/s compared to 250 mb/s. Use it for media and documents.

Wow, it really is a lot slower, ok that's certainly something for consideration. I do find read and write speeds important when moving around large files, which I find myself doing a lot, especially with the size of video/pictures these days. Those few seconds staring at a progress meter really add up and up the annoyance factor.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

In a time when people are used to phone or tablet apps that are snappy and "just work", speed is very important. Gone are the times when people are willing to maintain their computing devices or ask a relative on Boxing day to take a look at their "slow computer".

In the long run Microsoft needs to release a tablet that slots in between the Go and PRO. A Surface with i3 should give a good balance between battery consumption and ability to run full Windows applications.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wow, it really is a lot slower, ok that's certainly something for consideration. I do find read and write speeds important when moving around large files, which I find myself doing a lot, especially with the size of video/pictures these days. Those few seconds staring at a progress meter really add up and up the annoyance factor.
I think you will find the 75mb/s is a reflection of the SD card used and not the GO, there are faster cards out there :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Oh, there are certainly times when it does matter. I was just saying it doesn't matter for most people because 250MB/s is probably not going to be the thing that slows them down.

In a time when people are used to phone or tablet apps that are snappy and "just work", speed is very important. Gone are the times when people are willing to maintain their computing devices or ask a relative on Boxing day to take a look at their "slow computer".

In the long run Microsoft needs to release a tablet that slots in between the Go and PRO. A Surface with i3 should give a good balance between battery consumption and ability to run full Windows applications.

Except the storage speed isn't going to be your bottleneck unless you're constantly moving around big files.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Everyone calm down here. I bought two of the 8GB Go models. They were fun and capable but both had defects in the camera bezel that runs the length of the case. It was raised on one and sunken on another so inconsistent to say the least. I had a few performance problems with Edge browser as well. I went took them back and bought a nice SPRO on sale with 8GB and i7 processor and couldn’t be happier.

TBH I''m starting to think that's by far the better solution. If I come across a i5/i7, 8Gb, 256 SSD on my travels at a decent price I'll pick one up. All the 10" tablets both Microsoft & Samsung I can see bogging down fast...

Q-6

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
TBH I''m starting to think that's by far the better solution. If I come across a i5/i7, 8Gb, 256 SSD on my travels at a decent price I'll pick one up. All the 10" tablets both Microsoft & Samsung I can see bogging down fast...

Q-6
Agreed and I think I noted in an earlier post the bottom tier SP4 is probably a better buy all around but the SG is all about footprint and it's $300 cheaper which maybe a breaking point for many on a secondary or companion device

As daft as it may sound simple things like ebooks will be much more comfortable/natural on the GO opposed to the SP4 :)

I would of been tempted by the Samsung 12'' for the Amoled screen if I could of found one and that's an I5

Having just gifted my top tier SP4 to my youngest the GO will be a nice complimentary device to my SB2 15''

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Does anyone have any real life usage to report on the 8gb version?

I owned the 64GB/4GB version for this past week, and replaced it with the 128GB/8GB version yesterday.

For more background on why I was intrigued by the Go, see my original comments here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/surface-go-doa.2126915/page-4#post-26274542

TL;DR - Looking for a cheap device to fulfill my occasional Windows needs. The 4GB version is actually just fine.

I planned on keeping it the 4GB version. Yesterday I realized I could have Best Buy price match Microcenter for the 128GB version @ $499. Combined with the $50 pre-order discount BB gave me (used towards the $99 keyboard), I'm in this thing (8GB + keyboard) for $550, less a good chunk of BB credits I had. Basically a low investment for me, and a chance to try out the latest-and-greatest from Windows. This is my first Surface device, I use macOS almost exclusively.

The 4GB version is just fine for normal computing. Great for someone that is coming from an older laptop, especially one with a spinning HDD. I had no issues with the RAM. Upgrading to the 8GB version has not produced a substantially different experience. Maybe things seems slightly faster? But if I was in a blind test doing normal browsing/usage, I'm pretty sure I couldn't distinguish the two. I figure the 8GB buys me a few extra years of usability. Storage is an easy upgrade via MicroSD slot. The CPU is fine for the tasks this mini-laptop was designed for. During initial setup of the 8GB version, during that initial blast-install of 50 Windows updates, it did get hot enough to shut down to cool off during one of the Windows-enforced reboots. Only happened once though.

I don't use it as a tablet, rather a mini-laptop. And therein lies the only issue: the screen is pretty small, for extended use. My main laptop (outside of work) is the 12" Retina MacBook. I always feel that's on the small end of usable screen space, so the Go is really pushing it. But, it's kinda fun to use, and I've poked around on it for hours straight with no ill-effect.

The bigger winner in all of this is USB-C. I have plenty of USB-C Apple chargers + cables around, so charging this thing is a breeze. The Surface connector will stay in the box. I also regularly connect the Go to my CalDigit USB-C dock, so I get charging plus easy access to legacy ports/Ethernet should I need it. Assuming you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse, and invest in something like the CalDigit dock, this device is perfect for maybe a student, or older person that is not a power user. In other words, when docked, it behaves exactly like a desktop. Disconnect your USB-C cable, and it's 100% portable Windows machine. That's the brilliance that I don't think Microsoft promotes well enough, and I don't think is really applicable to the other Surface models.

EDIT: almost forgot - the cool thing that also doesn't get enough attention: you get FREE Office apps because the screen size is <10.1". Yes, it's only the "mobile" versions of Word, Excel, etc. But if you're cheap like me and don't have an O365 subscription, it's a great way to handle your light Office needs.

Last edited:

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I owned the 64GB/4GB version for this past week, and replaced it with the 128GB/8GB version yesterday.

For more background on why I was intrigued by the Go, see my original comments here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/surface-go-doa.2126915/page-4#post-26274542

TL;DR - Looking for a cheap device to fulfill my occasional Windows needs. The 4GB version is actually just fine.

I planned on keeping it the 4GB version. Yesterday I realized I could have Best Buy price match Microcenter for the 128GB version @ $499. Combined with the $50 pre-order discount BB gave me (used towards the $99 keyboard), I'm in this thing (8GB + keyboard) for $550, less a good chunk of BB credits I had. Basically a low investment for me, and a chance to try out the latest-and-greatest from Windows. This is my first Surface device, I use macOS almost exclusively.

The 4GB version is just fine for normal computing. Great for someone that is coming from an older laptop, especially one with a spinning HDD. I had no issues with the RAM. Upgrading to the 8GB version has not produced a substantially different experience. Maybe things seems slightly faster? But if I was in a blind test doing normal browsing/usage, I'm pretty sure I couldn't distinguish the two. I figure the 8GB buys me a few extra years of usability. Storage is an easy upgrade via MicroSD slot. The CPU is fine for the tasks this mini-laptop was designed for. During initial setup of the 8GB version, during that initial blast-install of 50 Windows updates, it did get hot enough to shut down to cool off during one of the Windows-enforced reboots. Only happened once though.

I don't use it as a tablet, rather a mini-laptop. And therein lies the only issue: the screen is pretty small, for extended use. My main laptop (outside of work) is the 12" Retina MacBook. I always feel that's on the small end of usable screen space, so the Go is really pushing it. But, it's kinda fun to use, and I've poked around on it for hours straight with no ill-effect.

The bigger winner in all of this is USB-C. I have plenty of USB-C Apple chargers + cables around, so charging this thing is a breeze. The Surface connector will stay in the box. I also regularly connect the Go to my CalDigit USB-C dock, so I get charging plus easy access to legacy ports/Ethernet should I need it. Assuming you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse, and invest in something like the CalDigit dock, this device is perfect for maybe a student, or older person that is not a power user. In other words, when docked, it behaves exactly like a desktop. Disconnect your USB-C cable, and it's 100% portable Windows machine. That's the brilliance that I don't think Microsoft promotes well enough, and I don't think is really applicable to the other Surface models.

EDIT: almost forgot - the cool thing that also doesn't get enough attention: you get FREE Office apps because the screen size is <10.1". Yes, it's only the "mobile" versions of Word, Excel, etc. But if you're cheap like me and don't have an O365 subscription, it's a great way to handle your light Office needs.

Thank you so much! I am a Mac user but wanted a windows machine. I tried the go at Best Buy and I’m in love with the size. I did notice the display version which was the 4gb one stuttered a little. I don’t care enough about windows to spend a lot of money and I prefer the size of the go to the pro so I am thinking about getting the 8gb version. I don’t do anything extensive. I just want a windows device to play around with. I also have an iPad mini 4, a 10.5 Pro and a 12.9 Pro and a 27” iMac and a 13” 2018 MacBook Pro and a 2017 12” MacBook. So as you can see I prefer Apple devices.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Thank you so much! I am a Mac user but wanted a windows machine. I tried the go at Best Buy and I’m in love with the size. I did notice the display version which was the 4gb one stuttered a little. I don’t care enough about windows to spend a lot of money and I prefer the size of the go to the pro so I am thinking about getting the 8gb version. I don’t do anything extensive. I just want a windows device to play around with. I also have an iPad mini 4, a 10.5 Pro and a 12.9 Pro and a 27” iMac and a 13” 2018 MacBook Pro and a 2017 12” MacBook. So as you can see I prefer Apple devices.

I have similar macOS hardware. This is probably a good fit for you, too. At the price, I won't feel guilty if I barely end up using it in a few months. Although Windows has come a long way since I used it as my main OS, there are still quirks to it. Like how the clock wouldn't sync or hold the right time! Took a few registry settings to get it working right. Same with disabling Cortana. I'm no power-user, but it still irks me I have to Google to fix a few basic things on a brand new machine. /Windows rant off.

I never realized, but Apple has a good iCloud app for Windows. This makes moving between macOS/Windows 10 a bit less cumbersome, for me at least.

Last thing... build quality continues to impress. In the past 7-8 years, I've suffered with a few <$800 Windows laptops. They have invariably been ergonomic nightmares that just scream "cheap", and have often broken on me. The Go is definitely a couple of steps up from a build and design standpoint. Since I use only Apple gear, I've become a bit of a snob about these things, and the Go continues to impress me.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have similar macOS hardware. This is probably a good fit for you, too. At the price, I won't feel guilty if I barely end up using it in a few months. Although Windows has come a long way since I used it as my main OS, there are still quirks to it. Like how the clock wouldn't sync or hold the right time! Took a few registry settings to get it working right. Same with disabling Cortana. I'm no power-user, but it still irks me I have to Google to fix a few basic things on a brand new machine. /Windows rant off.

I never realized, but Apple has a good iCloud app for Windows. This makes moving between macOS/Windows 10 a bit less cumbersome, for me at least.

Last thing... build quality continues to impress. In the past 7-8 years, I've suffered with a few <$800 Windows laptops. They have invariably been ergonomic nightmares that just scream "cheap", and have often broken on me. The Go is definitely a couple of steps up from a build and design standpoint. Since I use only Apple gear, I've become a bit of a snob about these things, and the Go continues to impress me.
Yes Icloud for win10 works surprisingly well for synching bookmarks, photos and contacts via Outlook form your Apple devices :)

Although I do not use cortana when she is enabled and also on your smartphone you get very similar features to Apple devices re notifications for calls,sms,mms,whatsapp, etc, maybe not as complete as Apple but close and getting better

Additionally if you want to start using different devices together or just as another screen then this is a cross platform utility:

https://symless.com/synergy

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Very nice, thanks for the heads up. Microcenter has the 8/128 one for 499, and the one local to only charges 1/2 sales tax which is really nice. Makes it more tempting, but I'm balking at the price of the keyboard and pen, it just feels like gouging. Granted they are excellent, but I see plenty of other comparable peripherals on other windows tablets for much less. $599 for 8/128/keyboard/pen and I'd be in, might wait until these pop up onto swappa.

I hear you on the screen, I wish they could have reduced the bezels to get more screen out of the size. Seems like so much wasted space for the single most important item on the entire thing.

The icloud app sounds interesting I never knew it existed. I tried it out, but it only syncs bookmarks with internet explorer, of course Apple is years behind with their non Apple software (iTunes anyone?).

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Very nice, thanks for the heads up. Microcenter has the 8/128 one for 499, and the one local to only charges 1/2 sales tax which is really nice. Makes it more tempting, but I'm balking at the price of the keyboard and pen, it just feels like gouging. Granted they are excellent, but I see plenty of other comparable peripherals on other windows tablets for much less. $599 for 8/128/keyboard/pen and I'd be in, might wait until these pop up onto swappa.

I hear you on the screen, I wish they could have reduced the bezels to get more screen out of the size. Seems like so much wasted space for the single most important item on the entire thing.

The icloud app sounds interesting I never knew it existed. I tried it out, but it only syncs bookmarks with internet explorer, of course Apple is years behind with their non Apple software (iTunes anyone?).

If you have a USB-C -> USB-A adapter, you could of course use a regular keyboard, or even a bluetooth one. But the MS keyboard is of nice quality. Trackpad is a bit firm, but I guess I'm spoiled by the solid-state trackpad in recent MacBooks.

The iCloud app for Windows is most functional to me because of the iCloud Drive feature, which makes bouncing files back and forth between Windows/macOS/iOS really easy, and iCloud Photos allows me easy access to my camera roll from Windows.

If you've already made some investments into USB-C, this is a lot easier decision. The bezels don't bother me too much, as the laminated screen seems better quality than other Windows laptops I've seen in the <$1000 range. I'll trade quality for some bigger bezels, any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If you have a USB-C -> USB-A adapter, you could of course use a regular keyboard, or even a bluetooth one. But the MS keyboard is of nice quality. Trackpad is a bit firm, but I guess I'm spoiled by the solid-state trackpad in recent MacBooks.

The iCloud app for Windows is most functional to me because of the iCloud Drive feature, which makes bouncing files back and forth between Windows/macOS/iOS really easy, and iCloud Photos allows me easy access to my camera roll from Windows.

If you've already made some investments into USB-C, this is a lot easier decision. The bezels don't bother me too much, as the laminated screen seems better quality than other Windows laptops I've seen in the <$1000 range. I'll trade quality for some bigger bezels, any day.

Oh no, the Microsoft keyboard is a MUST. I have a surface pro and I know just how nice the keyboards are, but they are grossly overpriced. One thing that's always surprised me was I don't think I've ever seen 3rd party accessories that support the surface port, I'd love to see someone make a keyboard with extra battery like MS used to make for I think it was the SP2.

I'll eventually get around to getting one, the surface line up always has deep discounts often. Heck the i5/i7 pro's are on sale $300 off now. Alternatively I'm sure I can score a 8/128 with keyboard and maybe even pen for 600ish in a couple of months on swappa, no rush it would basically just be a toy to play around with and something to carry when I get sick of the Pro's weight/size.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Chrome and Edge will import IE bookmarks

Bleh, that's a terrible work around. No offense meant, I know you were only suggesting something. But I really need something that keeps bookmarks in sync. Although I prefer Safari on iOS, I usually end up using Edge because it keeps my stuff in sync. I never understood why Apple stopped making Safari for windows, that would resolve the issue of syncing things like bookmarks and passwords for a LOT of users who use iOS but don't use Apple computers otherwise. I get Apple's strategy of enticing you to own all Apple products, it's just a shame they have to make you feel like a 2nd class citizen. Unrelated, but I felt this same crappiness the other day when I realized Apple News isn't available outside of iOS/OSx.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Bleh, that's a terrible work around. No offense meant, I know you were only suggesting something. But I really need something that keeps bookmarks in sync. Although I prefer Safari on iOS, I usually end up using Edge because it keeps my stuff in sync. I never understood why Apple stopped making Safari for windows, that would resolve the issue of syncing things like bookmarks and passwords for a LOT of users who use iOS but don't use Apple computers otherwise. I get Apple's strategy of enticing you to own all Apple products, it's just a shame they have to make you feel like a 2nd class citizen. Unrelated, but I felt this same crappiness the other day when I realized Apple News isn't available outside of iOS/OSx.

Because they can't seem to code apps for Windows that are good. Safari even fell behind Chrome on Windows because it just wasn't updated fast enough.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Because they can't seem to code apps for Windows that are good. Safari even fell behind Chrome on Windows because it just wasn't updated fast enough.

I don't think they can't, they just don't want to. It's an aggressive way of keeping consumers in their ecosystem. If you are an iPhone/ipad user but use Windows as your PC then you have to deal with the horrendous pile of steaming crap they call iTunes, lose most syncing abilities, and be unable to take advantage of hand off, messaging and such things.

Reactions: Michael Goff

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

I've been quite happy with Firefox for several years now... they made big speed improvements earlier this year too. You might want to check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.