Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
@ the last few comments

I honestly think the 4/64 model at $399 is just to get a low price on paper. You know the old trick... get you in the store with a low price... then show you the "upgraded" model with twice the specs for just a little more.

"Starting at $399" is a powerful piece of marketing.

But the one they really expect people to buy is the $549 model.

Reactions: sracer

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
@ the last few comments

I honestly think the 4/64 model at $399 is just to get a low price on paper. You know the old trick... get you in the store with a low price... then show you the "upgraded" model with twice the specs for just a little more.

"Starting at $399" is a powerful piece of marketing.

But the one they really expect people to buy is the $549 model.
It depends how much is true for education and some other first-line services :D but for sure the higher spec is preferable for general users

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It depends how much is true for education and some other first-line services :D but for sure the higher spec is preferable for general users
I agree with @Michael Scrip. That base model is primarily to be able to advertise a price that starts with $3xx to psychologically convince people that it is practically the same price as the entry model iPad. There will be custom configs for education and vertical markets separate from the entry model.

64GB storage will be "ok" if one is simply going to use it as a consumption device and not do any productive work on it. Seriously, between the recovery image, page file, hibernation file, and system updates, the remaining space will be dramatically less and reduce over time. Windows 10 doesn't do a great job of "cleaning up after itself" and to keep the footprint creep to a minimum, it will require regular manual maintenance.

The Costco-exclusive model, 4GB/128GB seems like a very nice deal.

Oh, and
rotflmao.gif
at Daniel Rubino for his review of the base model. The dude would give an empty cereal box 2 thumbs up if it had a Windows logo on it. Sorry, I really can't take him seriously.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree with @Michael Scrip. That base model is primarily to be able to advertise a price that starts with $3xx to psychologically convince people that it is practically the same price as the entry model iPad. There will be custom configs for education and vertical markets separate from the entry model.

64GB storage will be "ok" if one is simply going to use it as a consumption device and not do any productive work on it. Seriously, between the recovery image, page file, hibernation file, and system updates, the remaining space will be dramatically less and reduce over time. Windows 10 doesn't do a great job of "cleaning up after itself" and to keep the footprint creep to a minimum, it will require regular manual maintenance.

Oh, and View attachment 775133 at Daniel Rubino for his review of the base model. The dude would give an empty cereal box 2 thumbs up if it had a Windows logo on it. Sorry, I really can't take him seriously.
I wouldn’t use it for anything more than web browsing and watching videos. However I’d still moan if it was slow to boot up or I got the dreaded egg timer so I’d better get the 8GB version.

Lisa Gade wasn’t very positive in her review, even about the 8GB version.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Oh, and View attachment 775133 at Daniel Rubino for his review of the base model. The dude would give an empty cereal box 2 thumbs up if it had a Windows logo on it. Sorry, I really can't take him seriously.
To be fair I think MS is more upfront and cross platform than Apple. The reason the 4GB model is < $400 is far more obvious to the average user than the current IPad where you have to dig deeper to understand why its cheap

However I do agree the base model should of been even less and W10S only and you had to pay say $25 to upgrade to W10. This would of made the definition more distinct between the 2

The Costco version should be made universally available. I think W10 is a little better these days on auto clean up but it is a bit slow to action the routine maintenance sometimes but equally no need to be so concerned under W10S

I agree if I want to waste 10mins on YouTube I'd rather watch Ijustine than Daniel Rubino at least she's easy on the ear and eyes LOL

Reactions: sracer

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To be fair I think MS is more upfront and cross platform than Apple. The reason the 4GB model is < $400 is far more obvious to the average user than the current IPad where you have to dig deeper to understand why its cheap

However I do agree the base model should of been even less and W10S only and you had to pay say $25 to upgrade to W10. This would of made the definition more distinct between the 2

The Costco version should be made universally available. I think W10 is a little better these days on auto clean up but it is a bit slow to action the routine maintenance sometimes but equally no need to be so concerned under W10S

I agree if I want to waste 10mins on YouTube I'd rather watch Ijustine than Daniel Rubino at least she's easy on the ear and eyes LOL
I’m female. First time I came across Daniel Rubino was a few days ago and he sounds like he’s got something stuck in his mouth.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I wouldn’t use it for anything more than web browsing and watching videos. However I’d still moan if it was slow to boot up or I got the dreaded egg timer so I’d better get the 8GB version.

I think Lisa was positive just making sure you understand its limitations, sure you can run Cad or Photoshop but do not expect anything to be zippy :)

I think she knows users will try to abuse this little device and be dissapointed

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
The Surface Go is a waste of time for everyone/many people. The 399 price is a fake price if you want the features that are in all of the marketing (Cover and Pen) and then the base model itself is gimped with processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB Storage. People can criticize the Macbook 12'' all they like but 8GB RAM and 256GB Storage gives everyone a usable device for the advertised price and a proper Apple experience, whether you like the price is up for debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
The Surface Go is a waste of time for everyone. The 399 price is a fake price if you want the features that are in all of the marketing (Cover and Pen) and then the base model itself is gimped with processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB Storage. People can criticize the Macbook 12'' all they like but 8GB RAM and 256GB Storage gives everyone a usable device for the advertised price and a proper Apple experience, whether you like the price is up for debate.

Nope. It is clearly a waste of time for you. Don't claim to speak for everyone.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I have found Lisa Gade to be one of those "realistic" reviewers. She keeps things in perspective and doesn't fall into the trap of over emphasizing features that the manufacturer wants us to. For example, manufacturers want us to focus on bezel size... that it should be a high priority to the point dismissing alternatives that don't have as thin a bezel as their product does. She takes a reasonable approach to those things.

Because of that, her reviews may appear less positive by comparison to the cheeleader-type reviews such as those on Windows Central.

The key to watching reviews is to place a greater value in the reviewer who most closely lines up with how you think about things. But watching others also, is good as a reality-check. For me, Lisa Gade lines up with my way of thinking so I find her reviews extremely helpful and are an accurate predictor of how well a product she reviews will fit my needs.

It was her review that got me to give the Surface Go a 2nd look... still don't know if I'll get one.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Nope. It is clearly a waste of time for you. Don't claim to speak for everyone.

Clearly the post (or any post) written by someone is going to be an individual viewpoint and doesn't whatsoever claim to be written on behalf of everyone.

Advertising the Surface Go at 399 and without the ability to use features peppered all over the marketing, then you look into the specs and end up at 20-50% higher than the marketed price! What a waste of time for MANY people getting dragged in by the marketing who then walk away.

I'm a general computer user, typing this on a 10 core Xeon running Windows 10, but the above kind of device is absolutely what has pushed people towards Apple over the years. You walk into an Apple store and see the price, you walk into a PC reseller and just get upsold, it puts people off the whole ecosystem. I'm also critical of Apple doing this with the Pencil and Smart Keyboard Although the actual iPad Pro device is a solid machine versus the base Surface Go of 4GB/64GB won't be very usable from the get go with OS storage management of updates and things.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Advertising the Surface Go at 399 and without the ability to use features peppered all over the marketing, then you look into the specs and end up at 20-50% higher than the marketed price! What a waste of time for MANY people getting dragged in by the marketing who then walk away.

I'm a general computer user, typing this on a 10 core Xeon running Windows 10, but the above kind of device is absolutely what has pushed people towards Apple over the years. You walk into an Apple store and see the price, you walk into a PC reseller and just get upsold, it puts people off the whole ecosystem. I'm also critical of Apple doing this with the Pencil and Smart Keyboard Although the actual iPad Pro device is a solid machine versus the base Surface Go of 4GB/64GB won't be very usable from the get go with OS storage management of updates and things.

Yes, and again that is your opinion. It is not the universal truth. There are lots of people who have a use-case for this product. Again: Don't claim to speak for everyone.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Yes, and again that is your opinion. It is not the universal truth. There are lots of people who have a use-case for this product. Again: Don't claim to speak for everyone.

Clearly the post (or any post) written by someone is going to be an individual viewpoint and doesn't whatsoever claim to be written on behalf of ''everyone'' the usage of the words everyone and many are based on individualistic viewpoints. My opinion is many people will feel conned and that the device wastes everyone's time. The exact same as you saying ''There are lots of people who have a use-case''..... that is YOUR opinion.

Last edited:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Clearly the post (or any post) written by someone is going to be an individual viewpoint and doesn't whatsoever claim to be written on behalf of ''everyone''.

Agreed. But you did claim to speak for everyone in your post #258. Reread it. That was all I was reacting to in #259. I even highlighted that sentence in your post.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Agreed. But you did claim to speak for everyone in your post #258. Reread it. That was all I was reacting to.

I never claimed to speak on behalf of everyone, I claimed the device wasted everyone's time and justified it with multiple reasons, which are my opinion. The exact same as you writing ''lots of people'' and then me claiming you somehow represent ''lots of people'', you clearly don't - it is just your way of generalizing a point that many people could still be satisfied with the base model.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I never claimed to speak on behalf of everyone, I claimed the device wasted everyone's time and justified it with multiple reasons, which are my opinion. The exact same as you writing ''lots of people'' and then me claiming you somehow represent ''lots of people'', you clearly don't - it is just your way of generalizing a point that many people could still be satisfied with the base model.

And there you go again 'the device wastes everyone's time'. How is that not speaking on behalf of everyone? It is simple linguistics. If you mean lots of people you should have written 'lots of people'. In this case you should probably have written 'it is a waste of my time'. But writing 'everybody' simply means 'everybody'.
But I stop this now, I don't want to turn this into a pointless yes and no game. Have a good day.

Last edited:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
And there you go again 'the device wastes everyone's time'. How is that not speaking on behalf of everyone?
But I stop this now, I don't want to turn this into a pointless yes and no game. Have a good day.

The use of the word 'everyone' isn't me claiming to represent a group of people any more than you using the word ''many people'' - both are used as terms to represent individual examples. Your point seems to be the base model could be suitable for some, my point is that it's a garbage base model product for use purely in marketing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The use of the word 'everyone' isn't me claiming to represent a group of people any more than you using the word ''many people'' - both are used as terms to represent individual examples. Your point seems to be the base model could be suitable for some, my point is that it's a garbage base model product for use purely in marketing.
yeah but everyone disagrees with you and everyone is going to buy the base model because it is what everyone wants. It is the perfect device everyone was looking for in the first place. Its a device for everyone.....

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The Surface Go is a waste of time for everyone/many people. The 399 price is a fake price if you want the features that are in all of the marketing (Cover and Pen) and then the base model itself is gimped with processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB Storage. People can criticize the Macbook 12'' all they like but 8GB RAM and 256GB Storage gives everyone a usable device for the advertised price and a proper Apple experience, whether you like the price is up for debate.
This is just click bait :rolleyes:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
This is just click bait :rolleyes:

Yep, a guy who's sig line is 100% Apple stuff is an expert on what "everyone" wants in a Windows based tablet which fills a space that Apple has completely ignored. Definitely click bait.

For me, I have a Surface Pro and am still tempted by this thing... will wait until I have a chance to play with it in the Microsoft Store. I'm intrigued by the form factor.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The 399 model isn't useless, yeah that's me saying that after previously bashing it. We all are familiar with the ipad argument on how most consumers only use their laptops to browse the web and check email, so why bother with a PC? That applies to the Go as well, most consumers will do things on it that will fall well within the specs of the 399 model. No one has really proven that the 399 model is significantly hamstrung anyway. It's not the model I would buy, but I would (and am) certainly consider it for my wife and daughter who want one. Plus you can always fall back onto the expansion memory, I can't see how it would be much slower than the eMMC anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.