Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
My only problem with performance so far is YT/YT Music related A shame they can't make a website that works well in other browsers that aren't Chrome. Guess I can't expect more from a small startup, right?

I have found the same issue so far.... Very graphically intensive websites can sometimes slow the machine down. That being said, most other tasks/apps work just fine. It still is upsetting that Google has not released an official YouTube app. Especially considering they have an xbox one app!

How are you finding the battery life? Mine is ok to middle road. It lasts a decent amount but it most certainly does not compare to the iPad...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I have found the same issue so far.... Very graphically intensive websites can sometimes slow the machine down. That being said, most other tasks/apps work just fine. It still is upsetting that Google has not released an official YouTube app. Especially considering they have an xbox one app!

How are you finding the battery life? Mine is ok to middle road. It lasts a decent amount but it most certainly does not compare to the iPad...

YouTube and Music are also slow on my sister's MacBook Pro using Firefox, so I don't think its my computer.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am really not buying in to these negative comments on CPU and performance as its mainly based on wishful thinking and typical over specing

As with any device everyone seems to want a little more for less and can't help themselves in drawing comparisons to other devices (me included)

Let's face it if Apple released a 10" rMB at this price point it probably would be similarly compromised compared to its bigger brothers. Yet how many would be tempted to ditch thier Ipads or buy one as a companion device to thier MBP's

Outside of footprint appeal which is probably the main driver especially as most of us already have 95% of fuctionality/apps covered by smartphones probably costing more. For many, you are simply spending $500 or more for a bigger screen and $1000 more for some extra pen functions with some tablets not running full OS that is already replicated on your phone.

Whats missing from all Android and IPad devices is that security blanket feeling you get with having something that is capable of running full prog's not just apps

Mashable are just wrong when they say "Don't tell me it's about W10" it's precisely this for many. They missed the whole point and tried to act if the Go should be a replacement for someone who has 16 Chrome tabs open whilst streaming this that and the other, doing the washing etc

I'm on hols at the moment and feeling exposed with just a Tab S3 (would feel the same with an Ipad) as I did not want to lug my Company laptop or my 15" laptop.

My exposure is I am waiting next week when someone at work is sure to ask for something that only a full OS is only capable of running. Sure it maybe slow and tiresome on the GO but it's doable is the main thing when push comes to shove

The GO is a device with all round capability such that you do not need to grab your laptop at the slightest hurdle.

Know it's limitations and enjoy the bits it does well and be pleased it can do more modestly

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer and koigirl

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I have not. How much RAM does yours have? And SSD or eMMC?

I have the base model but I wouldn't think that ram would matter for a webpage? And when I say slow down I mean it takes a fraction of a second longer to load the page then I am used to. The system itself remains smooth and responsive.

I will also say that I have since gone through and disabled some unnecessary windows services and have improved performance a good deal. My impression so far is that the hardware is top notch but the software (windows 10) still has a bit to go before it can be comfortable on a lower powered touch device. That being said, it has come a long way even from the time of the surface 3.

Reactions: nospleen

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have the base model but I wouldn't think that ram would matter for a webpage? And when I say slow down I mean it takes a fraction of a second longer to load the page then I am used to. The system itself remains smooth and responsive.

I will also say that I have since gone through and disabled some unnecessary windows services and have improved performance a good deal. My impression so far is that the hardware is top notch but the software (windows 10) still has a bit to go before it can be comfortable on a lower powered touch device. That being said, it has come a long way even from the time of the surface 3.
It's not surprising that system services needs to be tweaked. This is where Microsoft falls short in attempting to use the same Windows base code in all of their products. They should provide "profile" scripts that surgically go in and disable the services that aren't needed for certain uses..at the very least.

I'm curious to see how much the OS footprint grows over time. I've owned Windows 10 tablets, 2-in-1s, and budget laptops that had 16GB or 32GB eMMC. The only reason why I'd buy another one would be to wipe it out and install Linux. Those bargain basement systems make great linux devices. But even 64GB as a minimum is pushing it IMO.

Even though there are so many glowing reviews (some are obviously shills) I have to stand by my rule of thumb with regard to Surface devices... wait 3-6 months to see what issues pop up before making the decision.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This bugs me on an irrational level.

Screenshot (8).png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Windows wasn't really built for scaling so bugs like that will always exist. Use 96 dpi scaling and all issues go away hahaha

Apparently it was also fixed in a build of the store app that I'm not getting despite being in the fast ring.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well I just got back from the mall and actually handling one of these for the first time, and I must say I'm going to make a partial turn around on my opinion and am considering actually buying 3 of them in addition to the 2 surface pro's I already own. Pictures don't prepare you for how small these are, I had the impression that they were just a bit smaller than the pros and scoffed at the idea that it would fit into a purse. But in reality they are quite a bit smaller and will easily fit into a large or even medium sized purse. Now I don't carry a purse, my dream is a tablet that fits into a pocket similar to a 8" tablet such as the ones which used to be released with windows. It won't fit into a pocket, but it will be much easier to carry around than the pro.

So I'll address my prior sticking points and my updated thoughts:

Bezels: It's still huge for it being 2018, but in person it's not as onerous as it is in pictures. In reality it's about the same thickness as the Pro, but because of the smaller screen it's proportionately larger. I still think the bezel should have been smaller, but I understand there are limitations when you are in this price range. I still think it should at least have had smaller top/bottom bezels like the ipad, which manages to achieve this within the same approximate price range. The ipad pro with slim bezels is going to wow consumers, but that shouldn't affect the Go because they are different segments and I highly doubt the regular ipad will have all 4 bezels slimmed this year. But it will still be a factor in attracting consumers who look at the most dazzling product, but end up walking out with a less expensive model because they are already in store. The ipad pro's smaller bezels will create more headaches for the surface pro, but that's an entirely different post/debate.

Windows S: I still feel this will confuse your average consumer, but the upgrade process is seamless enough when you try to run a legacy program. I just feel that if the process is so seamless and it's free, they should have just put in full windows to begin with. I get what they are trying to do, streamline a small consumption device and most likely also continue with their quest to collect their fees from developers within their store ecosystem. For myself I could care less, but this was more of a commentary on possible pitfalls with consumers. But it's probably not a big deal, some consumers will never need legacy windows and the upgrade option will never pop up, and they will probably never know or care. The consumers that do need full windows will seamlessly upgrade and that's that. Although if full windows bogs down then that might be an issue. I'm curious to see benchmarks, and specifically benchmarks running both modes of windows. Does full windows bog it down even if not using legacy programs? I don't know, but I'm curious if full windows has any overhead that makes it slower.

Battery life: This is still a huge issue, but I will withhold judgement until I see official benchmarks, in particular with full windows installed.

Processor/specs: I only used it for about 10 minutes or so, but it seemed very snappy. Edge ran well with 7 or 8 tabs open, no slowdowns or anything. MS Office also ran perfectly. I still think the M3 proc would have been nicer, but I can't really base that on anything I experienced testing it out. At the end of the day I think you just have to accept this is a companion device which may or may not be the best tool out there to finish your huge photoshop project on, and at the price range I think that's ok.

Apps: This was never really an issue with me, as I've long espoused the ecosystem argument as dead. No one has really proffered any kind of non niche app on iOS that isn't represented in some form on windows. In some cases it may boil down to usability, but I've also never really agreed with iOS as being particularly easier to use on a touchscreen, and in some cases even find it more difficult to use. But certainly this boils down to preference and what you are used to. If this was windows S only then it would have been an issue.

So at the end of the day I am considering buying 3 of these. 1) My daughter has an ipad mini, she is 6 now and I worry about dumbing her down, but with the absence of windows 8" tablets I've resisted upgrading her to a full OS. She saw this and fell in love with it, in particular because she is reading at a 4th grade level and was highly interested in the keyboard. 2) My wife has resisted my attempts to buy her a surface pro for years, she's happy with her Dell infinity screen laptop I got her last year. But she also loved this and asked me to sell her laptop and get her one of these. She liked the portability aspect of it the most. 3) I wouldn't mind having one myself to have on the road, as the surface pro is a bit of a pain to carry around at times. I think my daughter and my wife would be fine with the base level one, but I would max mine out as much as I could and it would be a companion to my surface pro, which is a companion to my desktop at home. But in reality the beauty of these is that with a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup you don't need multiple PC's depending on how much computing power you need.

For myself if they had released a model with slim bezels, M3 or M5 proc and more battery life I'd easily pay $800-1000 for this with say 8GB RAM and 256GB HD. The advantages are HUGE, the kickstand is ridiculously useful and I still opine that any tablet without a kickstand is crap. The keyboard was very impressive, nice key travel, trackpad was impeccable, and it served well simply protecting the screen when closed. Micro SD expansion is huge as well, especially with those 512GB cards on the horizon. USB-C charging is a big plus to me after seeing how small the power brick was, really about the size of a MacBook air brick. I've always hated having to carry the surface Pro's huge brick and cabling, and the small Go brick makes travel/portability that much nicer. I wish they had a legacy USB port on there to avoid dongles, but that's not their fault, just USB-C has to catch up. Mini displayport out is huge as well, I use the one on my Pro on a daily basis. Of course it has a headphone jack, I personally could care less, but I know many are going to complain when Apple nixes it on the ipad.

In terms of it being DOA, I'm mixed on this. Microsoft has these front and center, as soon as you approach the MS store (for me in one of the biggest state malls in a ritzy area) they have multiple tables all set up with the Go's on display, and tons of sales reps ready to talk to you. If you have any knowledge of the Pro's your first thought will be how they managed to shrink these down so much. I was honestly surprised at how much my daughter and wife liked these at first glance and feel that they represent non technical type of consumers who are bored with iOS. But I can see this being a decent seller and definitely see it as an ipad competitor. I think it will only be a fraction of ipad sales, but much of that is due to Apple's much stronger loyalty and that intangible pull their products have. Of course that depends on what Apple releases in September. It's certainly not DOA, it may not sell out but I think it will most likely sell enough to justify it's existence.
[doublepost=1533582982][/doublepost]Interesting review with benchmarks: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/microsoft-surface-go

Doesn't seem like there is much of a difference with the upgraded 8GB ram and 128GB SSD, makes me wonder if it's better to just save the money. I am highly disappointed in the battery life though, at almost 1/3 brightness (150nits) web browsing crapped out at 6 hours 6 minutes (1.5 hours less than the surface pro on same test) versus the ipads 10 hours 7 minutes. 150nits sucks IMO, maybe my eyes are just bad but the minimum brightness on my Pro is 50% to be usable in a normally lit room, 75% is optimal.

This is by far my biggest hesitancy in buying one of these. I just want a truly "all day" device, not another device I have to babysit with a power cord. Gahhhh, choices!!

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well I just got back from the mall and actually handling one of these for the first time, and I must say I'm going to make a partial turn around on my opinion and am considering actually buying 3 of them in addition to the 2 surface pro's I already own. Pictures don't prepare you for how small these are, I had the impression that they were just a bit smaller than the pros and scoffed at the idea that it would fit into a purse. But in reality they are quite a bit smaller and will easily fit into a large or even medium sized purse. Now I don't carry a purse, my dream is a tablet that fits into a pocket similar to a 8" tablet such as the ones which used to be released with windows. It won't fit into a pocket, but it will be much easier to carry around than the pro.

So I'll address my prior sticking points and my updated thoughts:

Bezels: It's still huge for it being 2018, but in person it's not as onerous as it is in pictures. In reality it's about the same thickness as the Pro, but because of the smaller screen it's proportionately larger. I still think the bezel should have been smaller, but I understand there are limitations when you are in this price range. I still think it should at least have had smaller top/bottom bezels like the ipad, which manages to achieve this within the same approximate price range. The ipad pro with slim bezels is going to wow consumers, but that shouldn't affect the Go because they are different segments and I highly doubt the regular ipad will have all 4 bezels slimmed this year. But it will still be a factor in attracting consumers who look at the most dazzling product, but end up walking out with a less expensive model because they are already in store. The ipad pro's smaller bezels will create more headaches for the surface pro, but that's an entirely different post/debate.

Windows S: I still feel this will confuse your average consumer, but the upgrade process is seamless enough when you try to run a legacy program. I just feel that if the process is so seamless and it's free, they should have just put in full windows to begin with. I get what they are trying to do, streamline a small consumption device and most likely also continue with their quest to collect their fees from developers within their store ecosystem. For myself I could care less, but this was more of a commentary on possible pitfalls with consumers. But it's probably not a big deal, some consumers will never need legacy windows and the upgrade option will never pop up, and they will probably never know or care. The consumers that do need full windows will seamlessly upgrade and that's that. Although if full windows bogs down then that might be an issue. I'm curious to see benchmarks, and specifically benchmarks running both modes of windows. Does full windows bog it down even if not using legacy programs? I don't know, but I'm curious if full windows has any overhead that makes it slower.

Battery life: This is still a huge issue, but I will withhold judgement until I see official benchmarks, in particular with full windows installed.

Processor/specs: I only used it for about 10 minutes or so, but it seemed very snappy. Edge ran well with 7 or 8 tabs open, no slowdowns or anything. MS Office also ran perfectly. I still think the M3 proc would have been nicer, but I can't really base that on anything I experienced testing it out. At the end of the day I think you just have to accept this is a companion device which may or may not be the best tool out there to finish your huge photoshop project on, and at the price range I think that's ok.

Apps: This was never really an issue with me, as I've long espoused the ecosystem argument as dead. No one has really proffered any kind of non niche app on iOS that isn't represented in some form on windows. In some cases it may boil down to usability, but I've also never really agreed with iOS as being particularly easier to use on a touchscreen, and in some cases even find it more difficult to use. But certainly this boils down to preference and what you are used to. If this was windows S only then it would have been an issue.

So at the end of the day I am considering buying 3 of these. 1) My daughter has an ipad mini, she is 6 now and I worry about dumbing her down, but with the absence of windows 8" tablets I've resisted upgrading her to a full OS. She saw this and fell in love with it, in particular because she is reading at a 4th grade level and was highly interested in the keyboard. 2) My wife has resisted my attempts to buy her a surface pro for years, she's happy with her Dell infinity screen laptop I got her last year. But she also loved this and asked me to sell her laptop and get her one of these. She liked the portability aspect of it the most. 3) I wouldn't mind having one myself to have on the road, as the surface pro is a bit of a pain to carry around at times. I think my daughter and my wife would be fine with the base level one, but I would max mine out as much as I could and it would be a companion to my surface pro, which is a companion to my desktop at home. But in reality the beauty of these is that with a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup you don't need multiple PC's depending on how much computing power you need.

For myself if they had released a model with slim bezels, M3 or M5 proc and more battery life I'd easily pay $800-1000 for this with say 8GB RAM and 256GB HD. The advantages are HUGE, the kickstand is ridiculously useful and I still opine that any tablet without a kickstand is crap. The keyboard was very impressive, nice key travel, trackpad was impeccable, and it served well simply protecting the screen when closed. Micro SD expansion is huge as well, especially with those 512GB cards on the horizon. USB-C charging is a big plus to me after seeing how small the power brick was, really about the size of a MacBook air brick. I've always hated having to carry the surface Pro's huge brick and cabling, and the small Go brick makes travel/portability that much nicer. I wish they had a legacy USB port on there to avoid dongles, but that's not their fault, just USB-C has to catch up. Mini displayport out is huge as well, I use the one on my Pro on a daily basis. Of course it has a headphone jack, I personally could care less, but I know many are going to complain when Apple nixes it on the ipad.

In terms of it being DOA, I'm mixed on this. Microsoft has these front and center, as soon as you approach the MS store (for me in one of the biggest state malls in a ritzy area) they have multiple tables all set up with the Go's on display, and tons of sales reps ready to talk to you. If you have any knowledge of the Pro's your first thought will be how they managed to shrink these down so much. I was honestly surprised at how much my daughter and wife liked these at first glance and feel that they represent non technical type of consumers who are bored with iOS. But I can see this being a decent seller and definitely see it as an ipad competitor. I think it will only be a fraction of ipad sales, but much of that is due to Apple's much stronger loyalty and that intangible pull their products have. Of course that depends on what Apple releases in September. It's certainly not DOA, it may not sell out but I think it will most likely sell enough to justify it's existence.
[doublepost=1533582982][/doublepost]Interesting review with benchmarks: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/microsoft-surface-go

Doesn't seem like there is much of a difference with the upgraded 8GB ram and 128GB SSD, makes me wonder if it's better to just save the money. I am highly disappointed in the battery life though, at almost 1/3 brightness (150nits) web browsing crapped out at 6 hours 6 minutes (1.5 hours less than the surface pro on same test) versus the ipads 10 hours 7 minutes. 150nits sucks IMO, maybe my eyes are just bad but the minimum brightness on my Pro is 50% to be usable in a normally lit room, 75% is optimal.

This is by far my biggest hesitancy in buying one of these. I just want a truly "all day" device, not another device I have to babysit with a power cord. Gahhhh, choices!!
I like your thought process and rational in coming around :)

I think we all would of preferred a low spec M3 with turbo boost, slightly less bezels and a better battery endurance. I suspect to achieve this would of added 3mm to thickness and $150

Maybe a Go Pro is what some of us would see as an ultimate version :D

However it is what it is at this price point. I think Apple IPad refresh will struggle to not increase price if they finally upgrade the screen from non laminated of a larger size with better camera(s) and FaceID or even come close to MS KB with back-light etc

Nice observations on your daughters future requirements and development :) My wife's rMB 12" 2015 running W10 exclusively is still fine but when that gives up I will get her a GO to accompany her waterproof Kindle for travel and purse size as you note

Our little Samsung chargers should be ok for the GO so even less to carry and we already have an Apple and a Samsung 3 port dongle plus I have the Surface pen from my SB2 so I think we are covered

Placed my order for the 8GB one but Eta 28th :(

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I like your thought process and rational in coming around :)

I think we all would of preferred a low spec M3 with turbo boost, slightly less bezels and a better battery endurance. I suspect to achieve this would of added 3mm to thickness and $150

As the form-factor matures, some are looking beyond the cold, hard specs and to what the device is capable of in day-to-day life. (there will always be those "gearheads" for whom specs are everything)

However it is what it is at this price point. I think Apple IPad refresh will struggle to not increase price if they finally upgrade the screen from non laminated of a larger size with better camera(s) and FaceID or even come close to MS KB with back-light etc
You assume that Apple can't do that now. They most likely can but have no financial incentive to do so. As long as sales meet or exceed their internal targets, things will continue on. I also think it will also depend upon the success of the GO. If the Go becomes the hit that it looks like it will, that will bode well for everyone. GO fans have a solid device, iPad fans can look forward to Apple responding to the competition.

Nice observations on your daughters future requirements and development :) My wife's rMB 12" 2015 running W10 exclusively is still fine but when that gives up I will get her a GO to accompany her waterproof Kindle for travel and purse size as you note

Our little Samsung chargers should be ok for the GO so even less to carry and we already have an Apple and a Samsung 3 port dongle plus I have the Surface pen from my SB2 so I think we are covered

Placed my order for the 8GB one but Eta 28th :(
Good plan. Did you order a TypeCover? If so, which one...the standard or Alcantara? Should I pull the trigger on a GO, it'll be with an Alcantara keyboard.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Despite all my misgivings about Windows I’m really curious about this device and I might just order one. I’m trying to decide which one to go for. I’ve already got a MacBook Air and iPad Pro so this would be a third device. I tend to only use them for web browsing, watching videos and occasionally doing typing so nothing too heavy. Also it’s not my primary device so I don’t need to do any heavy lifting. It’s not out until the 23rd so still have time to check out more reviews and pre order if I want it.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm going to throw out a notice that I've come upon. As an OS, Windows 10 might just be a better tablet OS than iOS. Or at the very least it's just as good.
If your primary use is browsing having an actual desktop browser over a souped up mobile one is definitely a boon. Slightly different story if you want to use tablet optimised apps so far, but in most cases the web version (of say Facebook or YouTube) is equal or better than the app version and in a lot of cases app versions of traditional desktop programmes (Word, Photoshop for e.g.) are still playing catch-up. Really it’s just the things like games built ground-up around a touch interface that are lacking on windows.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Despite all my misgivings about Windows I’m really curious about this device and I might just order one. I’m trying to decide which one to go for. I’ve already got a MacBook Air and iPad Pro so this would be a third device. I tend to only use them for web browsing, watching videos and occasionally doing typing so nothing too heavy. Also it’s not my primary device so I don’t need to do any heavy lifting. It’s not out until the 23rd so still have time to check out more reviews and pre order if I want it.
That's the thing, (especially for us multi-gadget people)...trying to anticipate how a new devices fits into the current mix. It's the 1st world problem of 1st world problems.
lol.gif

It's possible that by going for the entry level model, it may skew the user experience negatively. Spend extra for the next model up and if it is only used for browsing and media consumption, then it was money wasted. The cost of the upgraded model, base keyboard cover, and pen brings it way, way beyond that original enticing $399 price. I'll be watching the price trends and may consider buying the base model + base keyboard + Pen for $500. (I expect it to hit that on-sale price-point before the end of the year)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

My personal opinion is that this is only a travel device, can be short term such as going to work every day. If I'm home I'd much rather have my larger, more powerful and longer battery life Pro as my go to couch surfer. The Go becomes a nice option for travel due to the small size and also the small size of a USB-C charger. But you have the HUGE caveat of the terrible battery life, so hopefully you aren't far from an outlet. If I get one (still not decided) it would most likely collect dust until I traveled.
[doublepost=1533657776][/doublepost]
That's the thing, (especially for us multi-gadget people)...trying to anticipate how a new devices fits into the current mix. It's the 1st world problem of 1st world problems. View attachment 774847

It's possible that by going for the entry level model, it may skew the user experience negatively. Spend extra for the next model up and if it is only used for browsing and media consumption, then it was money wasted. The cost of the upgraded model, base keyboard cover, and pen brings it way, way beyond that original enticing $399 price. I'll be watching the price trends and may consider buying the base model + base keyboard + Pen for $500. (I expect it to hit that on-sale price-point before the end of the year)

Give it 3 months on Swappa and you should be able to get those extras like keyboard/pen for a low price or even free, and still have it under warranty. In my years of using swappa I've found that accessories (like chrome wheels on cars) tend to lose all of their value when sold 2nd hand. Plenty of surface Pro listings where the keyboard and pen and included in the price, sometimes even more like screen savers, covers, etc.

I think MS should have met the consumer somewhere in the middle and offered a bundle with keyboard and pen for maybe $499, that way you could still buy them unbundled, but if you wanted everything you would save some for your loyalty. At $499 I think I'd go ahead and buy 3 of them as I'm thinking about, but otherwise I'm starting to balk a bit because these seem expensive once you start adding all the accessories and taxes of course.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.