Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
I think “real computer” is just shorthand for a certain idea of basic UI paradigms that we are used to. More open computing system. Multiple resizable windows, a file system with complete control, the ability to download apps outside of an ecosystem, the ability to interface better with accessories. Pro level applications.

What we have with iPad is something different. It’s mostly casual. By far. These just aren’t devices people use for serious programming or video editing or other specialized works for obvious reasons. It’s just a casual device that has some cool uses that CAN be translated to professional work, but it’s definitely more difficult. You CAN edit word documents on it, but people that do it for a living on a large scale definitely won’t. You CAN edit video on it, but if you do it for a living your needs will definitely require more.

The problem with iPad is it’s got tons of processing power but we don’t see pro level apps on it we see Luma fusion, but not final cut or adobe or Sony Vegas. And even if we did, are we gonna edit on small screens the whole time? Why can’t I connect it to a large 27inch monitor, put it with a keyboard and have something akin to a mouse? The interfacing experience for pro level work doesn’t translate well if it’s purely touchscreen. So it’ll always be small time “editing my weekend at Disney world” videos on iPad unless you change the way you can use it. The touchscreen ONLY interface holds it back.

But anyway I’m just ranting. I’ve been watching this “is ipad a real computer” for almost a decade while using an iPad as my main computer and these conversations always go around in circles. It’s always.

“iPad isn’t a real computer for X reasons”

Then people chime in “but I use it for some of my own X reasons”

Ok then. So it’s good for some and not for others. That’s how it’ll always be. Personally? I think the very fact we argue over these differences mean the tablet form factor won’t last forever. We will transcend ANY form factor and have a “computing everywhere” approach. There will be a way to compute through augmented reality. Through windows (literal windows) through VR. Through table surfaces. 20 years from now we will look at tablets and laptops and wonder how we ever used computers that were fixed in a certain form factor

You can say the same for Surface Go since it would be way too underpowered and has very limited storage (entry model) not to mention working on full desktop programs on a 10" screen is just awful, making it a DOA to me. As for the iPad, I agree with you, but at least the iPad have a proper tablet OS that is designed to utilize the hardware to its absolute best. Surface Go's OS goes to complete opposite direction where the OS is NOT suited for tablet use, and it's way too cramped and underpowered for using it as a full desktop OS and its desktop programs

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You can say the same for Surface Go since it would be way too underpowered and has very limited storage (entry model) not to mention working on full desktop programs on a 10" screen is just awful, making it a DOA to me. As for the iPad, I agree with you, but at least the iPad have a proper tablet OS that is designed to utilize the hardware to its absolute best. Surface Go's OS goes to complete opposite direction where the OS is NOT suited for tablet use, and it's way too cramped and underpowered for using it as a full desktop OS and its desktop programs
Yep, the Surface Pro 2 had the same problem, as far as too small for the resolution and using things like Photoshop.

Reactions: cbautis2

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
(we all know Microsoft's "9 hours" is more like 6)

I wish I had your optimism.

These figures always assume less than 50% brightness, which, considering how dark most non-Mac screens are in the first place, is nearly unusable. I'd be surprised to get even four hours of battery out of this.

I'm a diehard Thinkpad fan, but I always roll my eyes when Lenovo claim "up to 30 hours" of battery life.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Nope, this isn’t DOA. This is a good upgrade to the Surface 3, which sold in large volume. This will likely also sell pretty well, regardless of the specs.

We will see...I have my doubts. Of course, I see how MS treats the Surface Book video drivers, thermal profiles on all of the Surfaces, there is the ever present sleep/hibernate issues. Like I said, I hope it does do well. They should have put an i5 in this though. It would have actually sold.
[doublepost=1531400366][/doublepost]
I wish I had your optimism.

These figures always assume less than 50% brightness, which, considering how dark most non-Mac screens are in the first place, is nearly unusable. I'd be surprised to get even four hours of battery out of this.

I'm a diehard Thinkpad fan, but I always roll my eyes when Lenovo claim "up to 30 hours" of battery life.
Lenovos are great machines, I just don’t know now that the Chinese have been putting spyware in them...Hopefully that is behind them now. :D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
With the lack of modern app development on the Windows side as well as its intuitive UI on a tablet device, I wouldn't be surprised that the new Surface Go won't even dent iPad's market share and even Surface Pro's market share. Also, forcing the ever growing Windows updates on a 64 GB storage would simply consume the whole space, leaving nothing for the user and essentially making the device useless. Finally, it's redundant to me that you simply can't force a desktop oriented OS and programs on a tablet and have a user friendly interface which is again the main reason Apple would never integrate iOS and OS X apps and UI IMO.

Would you guys be tempted to get one of these?
I've personally owned Surface devices since day-1, but haven't for the least 1+ year. I use them occasionally at work. Based on my first-hand experiences and what is currently known about the Surface Go, I'm not interested. It doesn't bring anything new to the table for me to reconsider. That could change in the future.

The chronic lack of a quantity of quality of touch-optimized Modern UI apps make the Surface as a tablet a frustrating experience for me.

I think more choices is always better for the consumer. I do not expect my iPad to be a real computer but for cruising the Internet, it is my favorite.

The Surface Go will sell like hot cakes, maybe not to Apple people but there are a lot of Windows people who will buy!
I generally agree, but I would qualify that "more choices" in and of itself isn't always better for the consumer. More GOOD choices are. If Microsoft stumbles with the Surface Go (as they did with the Surface RT and 2) then ultimately it is NOT good for consumers because it allows Apple to rest on their laurels and not feel the pressure of real competition.

That is why I encourage people who want Apple to offer a similar hybrid that they shouldn't stop at emailing Tim Cook, but to go out and buy a Surface. If the Surface is wildly successful, not by Microsoft's meager standards, but in general terms, watch Apple sit up, take notice, and offer something comparable. That is what Apple does.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Another thing I would really like to see from Microsoft is an actual surface laptop instead of these hybrid tablet devices.

Make a real MacBook pro competitor. Something I don't need a table to use when typing. Something weighted correctly.

A lot of people are waiting for a 2015 style MacBook pro and apple keeps making them thinner with less ports and needless features (touch bar).

Microsoft makes something like that with or without touch support and I (and non soldered ram and SSD) I'm sure they might just have a hit.

I mean they've made everything else but an actual updated MBP.

No removable keyboard or screen just a straight up laptop...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Another thing I would really like to see from Microsoft is an actual surface laptop instead of these hybrid tablet devices.

Make a real MacBook pro competitor. Something I don't need a table to use when typing. Something weighted correctly.

A lot of people are waiting for a 2015 style MacBook pro and apple keeps making them thinner with less ports and needless features (touch bar).

Microsoft makes something like that with or without touch support and I (and non soldered ram and SSD) I'm sure they might just have a hit.

I don't think Microsoft is going to make two laptops, just the one.

Reactions: slitherjef

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Do you mean something other than the Surface Laptop? I LOVE the design, but I don't love the 0/10 repair-ability and Microsoft's track record of poor quality control. (that seems like a perfect storm) :(

Reactions: Sabelonada

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Some of the comments on the Surface Go are comical to me. When Apple produced the iPad Mini, everyone on hear was all over how great it was. And now there are various sizes of iPads and buyers pick the one that suits their needs. The Surface Go provides a lower price point and smaller size vs. the Surface Pro. I'm not sure if I'll buy one, but will take a look. I love my Surface Pro that I've had for the last year and it has been the best and most productive device I've ever owned.

Regarding the iPad being a real computer... of course it is. But it also greatly limited in some ways. The advantage the Surface line has over an iPad is that you can attach it to a big monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and use it as a desktop computer. You can't do that with an iPad. I love that I can grab it and go and not have to worry about two different sets of applications for tablet vs. laptop... and where my files are that I'm working on. Many information workers can't get buy with an iPad. I can't. I need more screen real estate, and the ability to use a mouse and proper keyboard. The Surface is a great way to have a tablet and laptop in one device.

For a pure tablet experience, the iPad is of course better. But for what I do, the Surface tablet experience is good enough and I avoid carrying a whole lot of additional crap and the other inconveniences I missed above.

I expect the Surface Go will do fine in the market. And it will push the other Microsoft OEMs to also go after this space. I think its great that Microsoft continues to push the Surface line, and all the software that goes with it. They are continuing to push more and more productivity into their Office suite which is what many business users live in.

I will wait and see how the Surface Go performs in the field before deciding if it is something I might buy. I'm really happy with the Surface Pro, but will take a look at it.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Do you mean something other than the Surface Laptop? I LOVE the design, but I don't love the 0/10 repair-ability and Microsoft's track record of poor quality control. (that seems like a perfect storm) :(

Yup something other the surface laptop. That's more of a MacBook air in my opinion

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I have given the surfaces a shot twice. First a surface 3, and then I had a surface pro 4. I'm not even sure why these devices exist at all. They are not useable as tablets IMO.

Having to interact with windows 10 in tablet mode is aids. There really is no way around it though, so I just ended up using it like a weird gimped laptop.

Hard pass for me.

I am open to getting a non apple product for many categories, but the one that they are the undisputed champs of is the tablet market.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I have given the surfaces a shot twice. First a surface 3, and then I had a surface pro 4. I'm not even sure why these devices exist at all. They are not useable as tablets IMO.

Having to interact with windows 10 in tablet mode is aids. There really is no way around it though, so I just ended up using it like a weird gimped laptop.

Hard pass for me.

I am open to getting a non apple product for many categories, but the one that they are the undisputed champs of is the tablet market.

I love my Surface Pro and use it as a tablet, laptop, and desktop replacement. So the device exists for me, for one. And I've not been on a trip recently that I didn't see others on the plane with Surface Pros. Its easy to spot them because we are the ones that are still working when all the guys with Macbooks have to put them away during takeoff and landing. Nothing Apple makes matches the productivity gains I get with a Surface Pro. This is why my Macbook Air and Mac Mini pretty much sit unused for anything but backing up my wife's iOS devices.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I love my Surface Pro and use it as a tablet, laptop, and desktop replacement. So the device exists for me, for one. And I've not been on a trip recently that I didn't see others on the plane with Surface Pros. Its easy to spot them because we are the ones that are still working when all the guys with Macbooks have to put them away during takeoff and landing. Nothing Apple makes matches the productivity gains I get with a Surface Pro. This is why my Macbook Air and Mac Mini pretty much sit unused for anything but backing up my wife's iOS devices.
Well, when one owns a Surface Pro one must look for any and all opportunities to showcase a benefit... even if it is being able to work an extra 5 minutes on each end of a flight. :p:D (I'm not serious, just a light-hearted jab)

What specifically is it about the Surface Pro that gives you productivity gains that are exclusive to the Surface Pro but not possible with a macOS device and are of such significance that those macOS devices sit unused? The only thing that comes to mind is being able to markup documents with the Pen... I guess depending upon how much of one's productivity relies on that can indeed be a determining factor.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Well, when one owns a Surface Pro one must look for any and all opportunities to showcase a benefit... even if it is being able to work an extra 5 minutes on each end of a flight. :p:D (I'm not serious, just a light-hearted jab)

What specifically is it about the Surface Pro that gives you productivity gains that are exclusive to the Surface Pro but not possible with a macOS device and are of such significance that those macOS devices sit unused? The only thing that comes to mind is being able to markup documents with the Pen... I guess depending upon how much of one's productivity relies on that can indeed be a determining factor.

Hey, we have to take the moments of showcase that we can. It is actually more than 5 minutes too. My routine when I get on a plane includes turning on my hotspot, connecting to update Outlook (nothing worse than starting to go through email and not have the latest starting point), and working connected as long as I can, followed by continuing on through take-off. There are rare cases that an unknowing flight attendant will ask me to pack it away, but if they do I'll just remove the keyboard and keep going. But I never have to stow it during the flight at all.

As for productivity, its the "all in one" factor. Up until about 5 years ago I was all Apple... work and phone. My last two jobs we have been an all Microsoft shop(s), and so I ended up using the company issues laptop for work, and moved to a Mac Mini for home. But I travel a lot, and really want to have access to home and work when I'm away. I have also wanted to move my note taking from paper and pencil to some pen based tablet. I fooled around with an iPad and also looked at a colleague's workflow using an iPad Pro with OneNote. But I won't want to haul around yet another device. So I bought a Surface Pro and was able to move everything into one device.

Work
- Moved my Office 365 environment, Outlook, OneNote, etc.. from my company laptop to the Surface Pro.
- Gained the ability to take notes in meetings and conferences with the pen input directly into OneNote.

Home
- Moved all my scanned archives from Mac to the Surface Pro
- Moved my Lightroom libraries from Mac to Surface Pro
- Migrated Mac Mail to Windows Mail
- Moved the few things I would do on my iPad over - Netflix, web browsing, etc.

I then bought a Note 8 to replace my iPhone so I can take notes in OneNote by pen on both, and edit either way.

So another colleague travels with me globally and brings his Dell laptop, Macbook, iPad, and iPhone. When trying to charge all that stuff up, its quite comical. I have my Surface Pro and Note 8. I've reduced my backpack by about half the weight.

I pretty much live in the Microsoft suite for most things. I don't have to worry about going back and forth between an iPad and laptop with two different platforms and apps and worry about syncing files. When I'm in my office, I dock the Surface Pro and have 2 external displays. If I need to leave, I just undock it and go. Takes 1 second. I am always working in the same apps. I have no constraints.

The only downside that I can perceive is that the pure tablet experience isn't as slick as an iPad, but for the things I use a tablet (mode) for, the Surface Pro does perfectly fine... and I have the kickstand and much better keyboard ... and a mouse.

I travel light and have everything with me where ever I go. I can't do that with Apple.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hey, we have to take the moments of showcase that we can. It is actually more than 5 minutes too. My routine when I get on a plane includes turning on my hotspot, connecting to update Outlook (nothing worse than starting to go through email and not have the latest starting point), and working connected as long as I can, followed by continuing on through take-off. There are rare cases that an unknowing flight attendant will ask me to pack it away, but if they do I'll just remove the keyboard and keep going. But I never have to stow it during the flight at all.

As for productivity, its the "all in one" factor. Up until about 5 years ago I was all Apple... work and phone. My last two jobs we have been an all Microsoft shop(s), and so I ended up using the company issues laptop for work, and moved to a Mac Mini for home. But I travel a lot, and really want to have access to home and work when I'm away. I have also wanted to move my note taking from paper and pencil to some pen based tablet. I fooled around with an iPad and also looked at a colleague's workflow using an iPad Pro with OneNote. But I won't want to haul around yet another device. So I bought a Surface Pro and was able to move everything into one device.

Work
- Moved my Office 365 environment, Outlook, OneNote, etc.. from my company laptop to the Surface Pro.
- Gained the ability to take notes in meetings and conferences with the pen input directly into OneNote.

Home
- Moved all my scanned archives from Mac to the Surface Pro
- Moved my Lightroom libraries from Mac to Surface Pro
- Migrated Mac Mail to Windows Mail
- Moved the few things I would do on my iPad over - Netflix, web browsing, etc.

I then bought a Note 8 to replace my iPhone so I can take notes in OneNote by pen on both, and edit either way.

So another colleague travels with me globally and brings his Dell laptop, Macbook, iPad, and iPhone. When trying to charge all that stuff up, its quite comical. I have my Surface Pro and Note 8. I've reduced my backpack by about half the weight.

I pretty much live in the Microsoft suite for most things. I don't have to worry about going back and forth between an iPad and laptop with two different platforms and apps and worry about syncing files. When I'm in my office, I dock the Surface Pro and have 2 external displays. If I need to leave, I just undock it and go. Takes 1 second. I am always working in the same apps. I have no constraints.

The only downside that I can perceive is that the pure tablet experience isn't as slick as an iPad, but for the things I use a tablet (mode) for, the Surface Pro does perfectly fine... and I have the kickstand and much better keyboard ... and a mouse.

I travel light and have everything with me where ever I go. I can't do that with Apple.
Why do they carry 2 laptops and a tablet? That's insane.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Why do they carry 2 laptops and a tablet? That's insane.

Because they buy from Apple!

At a minimum, you are carrying a tablet and a laptop with Apple if you need the breadth of full function computer and need a tablet. That is frankly the whole point of the debate between Apple's view of the world and Microsoft's. And if you happen to work for a company that issues you a Windows machine, and you want to travel with your home stuff... then you end up with 3 devices. With a Surface Pro, I can reduce that to 1, and that is precisely the reason I love it. Apple doesn't give you that option.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

At a minimum, you are carrying a tablet and a laptop with Apple if you need the breadth of full function computer and need a tablet. That is frankly the whole point of the debate between Apple's view of the world and Microsoft's. And if you happen to work for a company that issues you a Windows machine, and you want to travel with your home stuff... then you end up with 3 devices. With a Surface Pro, I can reduce that to 1, and that is precisely the reason I love it. Apple doesn't give you that option.
So the dell is for work?

Why do they need their personal laptop too if they are on a work trip? I would leave the mac at home and just bring my iPad for pleasure and use the work issued Dell to do work on. Or maybe they just like hauling gadgets around with them

Reactions: cbautis2

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Ditto I have had the same issue for many years with locked down Company laptops then having to carry your own on top

I travelled since 2011 with 11" MBA's updating them on each iteration till finally with rMB 2015 trying to cut down on gadgets in my backpack. The SP4 was a great step forward IMO giving back the performance I lost by loosing the top spec 11" MBA for the rMB and gained a whole new experience and screen resolution etc

I'm not an app person and outside of a few conveniences, dealing with foreign government departments, food orders and navigation which is pant's on IOS, plus Netflix's and Kindle the rest are integration with MS Office and social communication that any Android smart phone handles with ease

For those of us that used PDA's, Windows CE or Pocket PC way before Apple even bought "iPhone" these new small footprint PC's offer great opportunities not possible with IOS and reminiscent of the old arguments we had then with Symbian etc and IOS was not even a contender. It was a shame MS lost their way for a good 8 years but their lofty goals of cross platform support and scalable OS I find far more admirable today

Sure like many I have tried several Ipads and Yogas 8" & 10", book, 12" Samsung Tab Pro S, but for me the Surface Go is getting closer than any recent iterations over the last few years of a perfect companion device

Build quality, styling, connectivity with sufficient resources that stops you having to grab a full size laptop at the slightest hurdle which drove me nuts with Android or IOS tablets. It's not all about speed or doing one thing really well it's pure convenience in one small package

I'm hoping it's good enough to even stop carrying a conventional laptop on holiday given now I have gifted my SP4 to my youngest and got a larger laptop for personal use

Shame is pre-order out here starts in August

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ditto I have had the same issue for many years with locked down Company laptops then having to carry your own on top

I travelled since 2011 with 11" MBA's updating them on each iteration till finally with rMB 2015 trying to cut down on gadgets in my backpack. The SP4 was a great step forward IMO giving back the performance I lost by loosing the top spec 11" MBA for the rMB and gained a whole new experience and screen resolution etc

I'm not an app person and outside of a few conveniences, dealing with foreign government departments, food orders and navigation which is pant's on IOS, plus Netflix's and Kindle the rest are integration with MS Office and social communication that any Android smart phone handles with ease

For those of us that used PDA's, Windows CE or Pocket PC way before Apple even bought "iPhone" these new small footprint PC's offer great opportunities not possible with IOS and reminiscent of the old arguments we had then with Symbian etc and IOS was not even a contender. It was a shame MS lost their way for a good 8 years but their lofty goals of cross platform support and scalable OS I find far more admirable today

Sure like many I have tried several Ipads and Yogas 8" & 10", book, 12" Samsung Tab Pro S, but for me the Surface Go is getting closer than any recent iterations over the last few years of a perfect companion device

Build quality, styling, connectivity with sufficient resources that stops you having to grab a full size laptop at the slightest hurdle which drove me nuts with Android or IOS tablets. It's not all about speed or doing one thing really well it's pure convenience in one small package

I'm hoping it's good enough to even stop carrying a conventional laptop on holiday given now I have gifted my SP4 to my youngest and got a larger laptop for personal use

Shame is pre-order out here starts in August
Good thoughts.

But with the current Lenovo Yoga Book (Pen+Halo keyboard included) selling for around $275 brand new (both Android and Windows 10 models) It's a hard sell to justify $529 (base Go + keyboard + Pen) for an entry level Surface Go.

Of course there's a difference between the Halo keyboard of the YB and TypeCover of the Go, and that alone might make it worth someone paying nearly double for the Go.

I have the Android version of the Yoga Book. It has been a surprisingly good experience. Traveling with it has been terrific. If I needed access to Windows apps on a similar form-factor, I'd snatch up the current Windows version of the Yoga Book in a heartbeat.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Good thoughts.

But with the current Lenovo Yoga Book (Pen+Halo keyboard included) selling for around $275 brand new (both Android and Windows 10 models) It's a hard sell to justify $529 (base Go + keyboard + Pen) for an entry level Surface Go.

Of course there's a difference between the Halo keyboard of the YB and TypeCover of the Go, and that alone might make it worth someone paying nearly double for the Go.

I have the Android version of the Yoga Book. It has been a surprisingly good experience. Traveling with it has been terrific. If I needed access to Windows apps on a similar form-factor, I'd snatch up the current Windows version of the Yoga Book in a heartbeat.
Yep, tried them all in W10 versions but the Atom processor was a little to slow at times and the Halo KB did grate when having to switch by touching the KB spot between typing and TP control but they were nice to play with although the 8" was defiantly too small

Yoga book was a very cute device and a bit more laptop like than the straight Yogas and the charging was painfully slow via micro usb

I think there is a significant step up with the GO:

Processor wise near the 2015 base models rMB or SP4. 8GB and 128GB SSD is a must IMO to make the best of performance, full charging and USB-C port capable of driving external monitor etc plus up to 1TB SD card, one of the best cover KB designs and TP that is also backlit

It has all the missing hardware elements of an Ipad/Android devices :) but I agree compared to US pricing on Yoga's a and some Chromebook's a little steep but compared to an iPad a bargain almost given it's flexibility :D

I was considering the newish Samsung Book 10" or 12" and had it been available here I would of got it, but glad I did not as I think the GO is far more promising if I can get 6 or preferably 8 hours from it will be great although hard to beat Samsung Amoled displays in these form factors regardless of refresh rates 120mhz in grey is still grey LOL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.