Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I think the key to this is if it is capable of running full windows in a very portable form. No, it won’t function like a high-end laptop or desktop but it costs much less. It might be a great secondary machine for travel for those who need Windows capability. I bought a 2017 Surface Pro to replace my aging MBA not bc it’s the best tablet available (that w/be an iPad at this point bc of wide offering of apps) nor the best convertible laptop but because at the price point, I can use it for both basic Windows work and also as a basic tablet (also it’s portable, well-built, has a beautiful screen, excellent keyboard, and the awesome kickstand) at a good price for 8GB 128 ($799 including keyboard).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
This product will do well.

I'm 99% macOS/iOS here.. but I still occasionally need Windows for legacy programs, usually for older hardware/software that has no macOS equivalent. I've tried Bootcamp and VMs, but those still give me more headache than a native Windows laptop. So, I always keep one real Windows laptop around for the once a month I need it.

My recent Acer/Dell have been garbage from a build quality, and have driver glitches. I got rid of the Acer, and Best Buy gave me $95 in gift card for the Dell. Combined with the $50 pre-order GC, and some extra Best Buy gift cards I had around, I've pre-ordered that base model and black $99 keyboard for <$300 all-in. For $300, I won't feel bad if I only use it once/month or it only lasts a few years. I have great Mac laptops, so I really can't even justify $549 + $99 for a device that runs an OS I don't even really like :)

Most of you will think I'm a fool for getting the 4GB/64GB eMMC version. But this will be no workhorse. At most, I'll have a single app + browser running, at any given time.

So the real question: does Surface Go let you have the full Office apps, for free? That "free" status is supposed to apply to tablets <10.1" screen. Surface Go has 10" screen.

With the USB-C connector, you could easily dock this via USB-C dock (I use the one from CalDigit), plug into your monitor, keyboard mouse, and essential have a lower-powered PC with free Office apps on-device. Which also works on the "go" ha.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This product will do well.

I'm 99% macOS/iOS here.. but I still occasionally need Windows for legacy programs, usually for older hardware/software that has no macOS equivalent. I've tried Bootcamp and VMs, but those still give me more headache than a native Windows laptop. So, I always keep one real Windows laptop around for the once a month I need it.

My recent Acer/Dell have been garbage from a build quality, and have driver glitches. I got rid of the Acer, and Best Buy gave me $95 in gift card for the Dell. Combined with the $50 pre-order GC, and some extra Best Buy gift cards I had around, I've pre-ordered that base model and black $99 keyboard for <$300 all-in. For $300, I won't feel bad if I only use it once/month or it only lasts a few years. I have great Mac laptops, so I really can't even justify $549 + $99 for a device that runs an OS I don't even really like :)

Most of you will think I'm a fool for getting the 4GB/64GB eMMC version. But this will be no workhorse. At most, I'll have a single app + browser running, at any given time.

So the real question: does Surface Go let you have the full Office apps, for free? That "free" status is supposed to apply to tablets <10.1" screen. Surface Go has 10" screen.

With the USB-C connector, you could easily dock this via USB-C dock (I use the one from CalDigit), plug into your monitor, keyboard mouse, and essential have a lower-powered PC with free Office apps on-device. Which also works on the "go" ha.
Sorry do not think MSOffice is included only the upgrade from WinS to W10 is free

If your Company has the full licence most employees can have up to 5 personal installations for free

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Sorry do not think MSOffice is included only the upgrade from WinS to W10 is free

If your Company has the full licence most employees can have up to 5 personal installations for free
Why do you think that? Goes against Microsoft’s own policy of free Office for tablets <10”.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Why do you think that? Goes against Microsoft’s own policy of free Office for tablets <10”.
Only by reading from MS website for the GO anytime Office etc is mentioned there is the dreaded * to read the small print :) on additional costs etc

I did get free Office subscription on some 8" Yogas but it was only for 1 year

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Only by reading from MS website for the GO anytime Office etc is mentioned there is the dreaded * to read the small print :) on additional costs etc

I did get free Office subscription on some 8" Yogas but it was only for 1 year

"Microsoft Office, Surface Pen, and some software and accessories sold separately".
Seems vague enough to me. Could be referring to O365. I guess we have to wait until Aug 2nd?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
"Microsoft Office, Surface Pen, and some software and accessories sold separately".
Seems vague enough to me. Could be referring to O365. I guess we have to wait until Aug 2nd?

Yeah, 365. The mobile office works for free for basic editing on 10".

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I know I haven’t been on this side of the forum much, but I am intrigued with the Surface Go.

Does it offer Windows Hello support with fp sensors on the keyboard and an iris scanner? The pricing is atrocious.

If Microsoft offered good QC, a nice iPad trade in promo, and lowered the price of the keyboard? I may buy one if I need a work computer to take between work and home.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think your being a little conservative here especially with the 8GB version given that we know that this processor is better than typical Atom and SP3 and punching around similar if not marginally better than typical entry M3 CPU used in rMB 2015 and even graphically better and up to M3 SP4 standards

Many users have been doing plentily of lightweight productivity work on rMB M3's SP3's etc and more

We know this is only a lightweight companion device but it's more than something just capable of running store Apps

Stick to it's remit and most will be more than happy to run many full OS programmes with modest loads

I will have to go with your experiences and admit that I might be biased against the name Pentium because of past bad experiences. Maybe they're a lot better now and I'm way off base.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I will have to go with your experiences and admit that I might be biased against the name Pentium because of past bad experiences. Maybe they're a lot better now and I'm way off base.
No I agree it's good to be cautious as everyone's expectations differ. If you can't get by with a low tier rMB it's defiantly not a good option as a companion device but if you can get by with an IpadPro for your scenarios then it has more appeal etc

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I know I haven’t been on this side of the forum much, but I am intrigued with the Surface Go.

Does it offer Windows Hello support with fp sensors on the keyboard and an iris scanner? The pricing is atrocious.

If Microsoft offered good QC, a nice iPad trade in promo, and lowered the price of the keyboard? I may buy one if I need a work computer to take between work and home.

Yes it has Windows Hello, via camera.

Reactions: nviz22

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

This is more subtle backhand negativity than wishful daydreaming :rolleyes:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No I agree it's good to be cautious as everyone's expectations differ. If you can't get by with a low tier rMB it's defiantly not a good option as a companion device but if you can get by with an IpadPro for your scenarios then it has more appeal etc

This has the same appeal to me as an iPad Pro. But I get what you mean. I can't say I've ever used a rMB, though.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My brother has a Surface and used it through Uni a few days ago. It was perfect. Small enough to take to class but comfortable enough to use for hours with a mouse and keywords for constant switching between tabs, office software, copy and pasting etc.

The world of gadgets would be worse without Surface as neither iOS nor Android tablets can run a full OS or be used with mouse and keyboard.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yes it has Windows Hello, via camera.

Works the same way as the Surface Pro 4?
[doublepost=1532357399][/doublepost]
This is more subtle backhand negativity than wishful daydreaming :rolleyes:

I have had issues with the Surface Pro 4 in the past. When I would work on my term papers, I could shutdown the SP4 when I finished. The result? My unit was completely dead when I came back and had to recharge it in a same useless cycle. Best Buy took it back because Microsoft issues some sort of recall and warranty process allowing me to do so. Also had screen flickering problems with the SP4 before too.

I am only ditching my iPad if it's economic to do so. I rather purchase a SP5 on discount since I have an older keyboard still. I am not a fan of the current pricing because I feel like Microsoft should've competed with a $299 price point.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
The world of gadgets would be worse without Surface as neither iOS nor Android tablets can run a full OS or be used with mouse and keyboard.

I own the 10.5 iPad Pro, as well as the 2017 12" MacBook (two of each, actually). The Surface Go fits a weird spot in between them. Not as enjoyable for consumption as the iPad Pro, but cheaper if you don't need a "full blown" laptop like the retina MacBook.

For instance, the Surface Go can run as a 24/7 Plex server, etc. You can't do that with an iPad, and that's a terrible waste of a newer MacBook. It's probably a waste of a Go, too. But it least it has that flexibility, for a decent price, and a tiny form factor.

Works the same way as the Surface Pro 4?

Possibly? I have never owned a Surface device, previously.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am only ditching my iPad if it's economic to do so. I rather purchase a SP5 on discount since I have an older keyboard still. I am not a fan of the current pricing because I feel like Microsoft should've competed with a $299 price point.

We all could spend hours wishing something was cheaper, it's just pointless, if the price does not appeal then move on

I have noticed there is a new thread re Costco price and Bestbuy are offering $50 worth of coupons so compared to IPP the value is just getting better and better

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...with-type-cover-bundle.2128930/#post-26277557

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I own the 10.5 iPad Pro, as well as the 2017 12" MacBook (two of each, actually). The Surface Go fits a weird spot in between them.

That's the selling point. For a budget conscious student or individual the Surfaces makes a lot of sense. Apple offer to extremes, either very expensive laptops or expensive tablets. Similarly Samsung either sell tablets or laptops.

The Surface enabled you to own just one computing device rather than having to buy two or chose between either.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
That's the selling point. For a budget conscious student or individual the Surfaces makes a lot of sense. Apple offer to extremes, either very expensive laptops or expensive tablets. Similarly Samsung either sell tablets or laptops.

The Surface enabled you to own just one computing device rather than having to buy two or chose between either.

Yeah, I didn't mean "weird" as in bad. For the $500-600, you have something that you can use at a desk, with a full-size keyboard, monitor and mouse (if you want, via USB-C hub), but also while watching a video in bed. Can't really say that about iPad Pro, nor 12" MacBook.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah, I didn't mean "weird" as in bad. For the $500-600, you have something that you can use at a desk, with a full-size keyboard, monitor and mouse (if you want, via USB-C hub), but also while watching a video in bed. Can't really say that about iPad Pro, nor 12" MacBook.

Nope. On this forum you sometimes lose sight of the real world where people don't have the moeny to upgrade phone every year or own an iMac, iPad och Macbook at the same time.

Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.