Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
After being let down by Windows Phone, I did say I'd be avoiding any future attempts by Microsoft in this area, though this has grabbed my attention - I can actually see myself using this device unlike the Galaxy fold.

Really impressed with the Surface Laptop 15 and the Surface Pro X too, If Apple cooks up (well, reheats in the microwave) more of the same with the 16" MBP I don't see any new MacBooks in my near-intermediate future.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
After being let down by Windows Phone, I did say I'd be avoiding any future attempts by Microsoft in this area, though this has grabbed my attention - I can actually see myself using this device unlike the Galaxy fold.

Really impressed with the Surface Laptop 15 and the Surface Pro X too, If Apple cooks up (well, reheats in the microwave) more of the same with the 16" MBP I don't see any new MacBooks in my near-intermediate future.

Surface Duo: Android phone
Surface Neo: Windows 10X tablet

Both dual screens.

Windows Phone was a letdown due to their software, but both Windows 10X and Android platforms seem more solid. Microsoft hardware has always been great as far as I'm concerned.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Microsoft's take on Touchbar (I uderstand they call it WonderBar) is interesting also.

Touchbar is a gimmick.. Lenovo tried it years ago and quickly ditched it..

I am not really interested in these dual screen devices but they are interesting..

[off topic] I really wish MS would make Win 10 Phones again. I saw rumors a while back (a year or so maybe) about a Surface Pro phone [/off topic]

Reactions: Atlantico

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Microsoft's take on Touchbar (I uderstand they call it WonderBar) is interesting also.

I think it’s kind of funny that they demo emojis like Apple, it immediacy makes it feel like an unnecessary concept if you ask me. There are better uses, surely.

Touchbar is a gimmick.. Lenovo tried it years ago and quickly ditched it..

I am not really interested in these dual screen devices but they are interesting..

[off topic] I really wish MS would make Win 10 Phones again. I saw rumors a while back (a year or so maybe) about a Surface Pro phone [/off topic]

They also announced the Surface DUO phone today.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

I'm an Apple fan, and while I hate the idea of a touch bar (or my forced use of it) I like this idea. A lot.

Apple, should be copying this design. This is innovation.

So Apple, please don't put cameras on a MacBook Pro. Do something more like this.

Reactions: Mendota

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Seems like a product that is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. The big question which is where Microsoft falls often, will developers want to invest in developing apps for it? Not unless the market is large enough and this seems more like a niche product.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The Surface Neo and Duo are really interesting. Wondering if Duo is Windows 10X running android apps in emulation. Also wonder if Duo will have a good camera. The Lumia's may have had their issues, but the cameras at the time were top notch.

If you don't like the WonderBar, you can get rid of it by moving the keyboard up. You then get a trackpad below. Try doing that with the MacBook Pro ;)

Reactions: Mendota

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Cash waiting I can't resist multi function devices :)

But where was the SB, Studio, Go ?

That was an interesting omission by Microsoft. There are chips they can use from Intel to refresh them. I have a feeling we might see more than a refresh and some sort of redesign. Maybe with their partnership with AMD they are waiting for some new mobile chips from them? Maybe another spring event?

Intel needs a good kick in the butt on the mobile end, hopefully AMD can compete here as well as the desktop/server area.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, they are so comparable...

No they are not. Without really testing the Neo, I think the Wonderbar would be a lot more useful than the touchbar. Especially since it's a large surface area you can do more with. And probably a lot more customizable.

You might think it's a niche product, but folding screens are where the future is heading. Even Apple has multiple patents for folding devices.

Reactions: alex cochez

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Cash waiting I can't resist multi function devices :)

But where was the SB, Studio, Go ?
Studio gets a biannual update. I'd lose my mind over a smaller, black one with more current internals and lower price point.

I am all for trying an AMD Ryzen 15" SL3. :)

Just hoping I can wait for the extended holiday shopping window. Looking forward to what's next.

The Neo is pretty cool, but I think a Duo would be more useful for me, especially if I buy the Surface Pro X.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
folding screens are where the future is heading. Even Apple has multiple patents for folding devices.

I agree, as a device that is also your phone, as a tablet, not so much. I just can't see Microsoft getting back into the phone market other than in a 'niche' product way. Unless it is an exceptional device but that is a tall order when running Android along with every other phone producer.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I agree, as a device that is also your phone, as a tablet, not so much. I just can't see Microsoft getting back into the phone market other than in a 'niche' product way. Unless it is an exceptional device but that is a tall order when running Android along with every other phone producer.

Agreed. Microsoft has a lot of work to do to clean up their image regarding mobile phones

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The problem with the new #Surface devices is simple: It's called disconnect. It's all about having an integrated experience across all devices! It's all about software that works perfect with the hardware and this is where #Microsoft fails. Some examples:There is no MS Photos, there is no integrated way to stream content to TVs like with macOS and AppleTV. Such combination just doesn't exist. There is no integrated way to write & read SMS on Windows devices. No way to use a service like FaceTime. (Skype sucks big time). There is no messaging service like iMessage. There are almost no good modern apps available on Windows. No way to make and receive calls by using your phone. No way to use a SmartWatch to unlock your Windows PC.. So the problem is basically that there is no ecosystem. Work on that @Microsoft

Windows is the biggest issue here. I have been using it for such a long time and the problem is the lack of good, high quality solutions for many functions that make the whole user experience better.
The device might be impressive, but we should be thinking in how it would integrate with our other computing devices. We should also be thinking about how we would use such a device. What are the usage scenarios that would really make a difference? I am trying hard to find anything I would really use.

Yes, the device is impressive, but it doesn't solve any problems. It just tries to solve problems that don't exist..

The same applies to all other devices that Microsoft announced today. When Microsoft improves Windows in a way that makes the user experience great across many different devices, I will be interested. For the moment I don't feel that we are there yet..

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So Who's in, little sceptical equally impressed will be following this one keenly. Surface Duo adds up money on the table :cool:

2019 MS event is solid, new products, new tech. Not endless iterations of the same spec bump boring hardware designed to turn coin at all cost....

Q-6
I've been waiting for a serious company to release a serious follow-on to the original Lenovo Yoga Book. This appears to be it, IMO. However, I'm not going to get jazzed up about it until this time next year. This is some classic MS FUD going on... "classic" in the sense that they announce something far ahead of when the thing will be available that it causes people who are interested to hold off buying anything else... waiting for when MS releases their offering.

Panos Panay has a poor track record... I'm still waiting for the custom "blades" he demonstrated that were going to show off the capabilities and flexibility of the Surface tablets. That was May 2014.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
There are almost no good modern apps available on Windows.

OOft, tell me about it, I mean I have installed identical apps on Windows that I have on macOS and sorry but they are just sucky on Windows every time.

So the problem is basically that there is no ecosystem.

Where people criticize Apple often it is the eco-system, "Once you are in there is no way out!", well true, but the point of a specific eco-system is that you are tied to it regardless of who operates it and they will milk you as much as possible whilst you are in it.

But, all of the people I hear saying that are Windows users, who then complain that they can't do the kind of things you have noted, SMS, Facetime, stream, handoff and so on.

Make no mistake, Microsoft and Google are trying their hardest to create their own version of the Apple eco-system to tie their users into, they are just not doing very well at it, not as well as Apple has.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Studio gets a biannual update. I'd lose my mind over a smaller, black one with more current internals and lower price point.

I am all for trying an AMD Ryzen 15" SL3. :)

Just hoping I can wait for the extended holiday shopping window. Looking forward to what's next.

The Neo is pretty cool, but I think a Duo would be more useful for me, especially if I buy the Surface Pro X.
Yep I may get the AMD Ryzen 15" SL3 but the Surface Pro X has software comparability issues that is a little off putting

The Neo and the Duo are a given buy in my books

Do not think I can wait 3 months for the SL3 15/SP7 to come over here though, given I gifted my SB2 to my youngest in anticipation of a more powerful/refresh SB3 :confused:

I can't go Q6 MSI route but maybe a Razor Blade OLED LOL

Seems I will get another year out of my GO until we get the NEO/DUO combo

Reactions: Queen6 and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yep I may get the AMD Ryzen 15" SL3 but the Surface Pro X has software comparability issues that is a little off putting

The Neo and the Duo are a given buy in my books

Do not think I can wait 3 months for the SL3 15/SP7 to come over here though, given I gifted my SB2 to my youngest in anticipation of a more powerful/refresh SB3 :confused:

I can't go Q6 MSI route but maybe a Razor Blade OLED LOL

Seems I will get another year out of my GO until we get the NEO/DUO combo

You have to wait 3 months for the SL3/SP7?

Hmmm, I appreciate folks mentioning the software issues with the Pro X's Arm chip. I may hold off then and possibly get the 15" SL3 and a wacom to hold me over. Just wondering how much horse power the SL3's Ryzen 11 GPU has?

Hoping the Neo and Duo will not be ridiculously expensive.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
OOft, tell me about it, I mean I have installed identical apps on Windows that I have on macOS and sorry but they are just sucky on Windows every time.

Where people criticize Apple often it is the eco-system, "Once you are in there is no way out!", well true, but the point of a specific eco-system is that you are tied to it regardless of who operates it and they will milk you as much as possible whilst you are in it.

But, all of the people I hear saying that are Windows users, who then complain that they can't do the kind of things you have noted, SMS, Facetime, stream, handoff and so on.

Make no mistake, Microsoft and Google are trying their hardest to create their own version of the Apple eco-system to tie their users into, they are just not doing very well at it, not as well as Apple has.
Umm it's been widely accepted that Adobe products run better in Windows for example

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.