Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
I plan on buying one. OLED on the iPhones is amazing and if i could afford it, id replace every single tv, computer monitor, basically anything with a screen with an OLED option if i could. It offers the best image quality IMHO.

So i outright reject your oath. Do what ever you want, but dont drag others into your misguided biases. Hell i wish apple made a OLED version of the Studio Display! If i could afford those id buy multiple ones!

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see the 12.9 Air pricing compared to the new Pro. I have a feeling the value for the 12.9 Air will be great. Well, for us liking larger screens.

How many pixels will the 13 inch OLED have? It would be rather many to push around I guess as the iPhone has 460 ppi and iPad Pro 264.

Reactions: gusping

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I have an iPhone 12 with OLED and NEVER had an issue with this screen, nor have I EVER heard of a burn in issue on OLED iPhones (nor watches)... somehow doubt on a very expensive Pro device several years and generations later that this would become a problem unless you constantly run it in some kiosk mode...

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
No one will notice the difference with their eyes, unless inspecting differences very closely side by side. The only difference will be that you will know it has OLED and your wallet will be lighter. So I guess you will have to inspect side by side to justify.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
No one will notice the difference with their eyes, unless inspecting differences very closely side by side. The only difference will be that you will know it has OLED and your wallet will be lighter. So I guess you will have to inspect side by side to justify.
That's not true. If you're coming from a non-mini LED iPad, the difference should be insanely obvious when watching movies and reading text.

Reactions: jazz1 and sparksd

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That's not true. If you're coming from a non-mini LED iPad, the difference should be insanely obvious when watching movies and reading text.
the difference is insanely obvious in a dark environment, especially for darker images or if black bars are present. In daylight it's not that evident. I can see it, but I barely care (I have a mini-lend iPad and 3 Samsung Oled tablets, plus several LCD tablets from Apple and other brands)

kngelv

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Detroit
I will be a day one buyer. I watch films on a 77" OLED and dislike the dark gray blacks on my 4th Gen 12.9 Pro. It will be going straight to my 87 year old mother who currently has my old Air.

James

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well considering there had been no new M3 iPad Pro drop this week I think the oath takers are jinxing the release! :p I think I may go to my local Apple Store and test out the new MacBook Air. Take that Apple! You'll get my money one way or another!

• Haha
Reactions: boultonn

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Well considering there had been no new M3 iPad Pro drop this week I think the oath takers are jinxing the release! :p I think I may go to my local Apple Store and test out the new MacBook Air. Take that Apple! You'll get my money one way or another!
I would be giving Apple a lot less money if i bought the 13in M3 MBA vs the 13in iPad Pro. That's how bonkers the iPad pricing is here in the UK (and Europe more generally).

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I will be a day one buyer. I watch films on a 77" OLED and dislike the dark gray blacks on my 4th Gen 12.9 Pro. It will be going straight to my 87 year old mother who currently has my old Air.

James

I would be giving Apple a lot less money if i bought the 13in M3 MBA vs the 13in iPad Pro. That's how bonkers the iPad pricing is here in the UK (and Europe more generally).
Yes that is for sure. I think with upgraded SSD, RAM and new Magic Keyboard is going to make me gasp when I see the price vs. an M3 MacBook Air with the same/similar specs.!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafterman

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Only issue with a MacBook Air vs. alleged upcoming iPad Pro is that the display tech of the former is effectively decades old at this point. Watching movies inside the confines of a silver rectangle is not cool, and an OLED iPad will run rings around it for all media content. Even just viewing HDR photos will look vastly superior on the iPad.

Reactions: Ludatyk and jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Only issue with a MacBook Air vs. alleged upcoming iPad Pro is that the display tech of the former is effectively decades old at this point. Watching movies inside the confines of a silver rectangle is not cool, and an OLED iPad will run rings around it for all media content. Even just viewing HDR photos will look vastly superior on the iPad.
Just wondering if the new OLED screen would serve these old eyes better while reading text on the screen than my M1 iPad Pro 12.9"?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Yes that is for sure. I think with upgraded SSD, RAM and new Magic Keyboard is going to make me gasp when I see the price vs. an M3 MacBook Air with the same/similar specs.!
Oh, definitely. I have always thought the magic keyboard was, 1) a truly terrible keyboard, and 2) incredibly overpriced. I think the rumours are pointing to a more sturdy and expensive version for the new iPads. It's a no from me!

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Just wondering if the new OLED screen would serve these old eyes better while reading text on the screen than my M1 iPad Pro 12.9"?
I don't think it should change much (similar PPI, etc). I've been looking into OLED monitors for my gaming PC and one thing that comes up is some people experiencing eye strain, when they have never experienced it before on IPS panels. Hopefully it isn't an issue on the upcoming iPad Pros.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Oh, definitely. I have always thought the magic keyboard was, 1) a truly terrible keyboard, and 2) incredibly overpriced. I think the rumours are pointing to a more sturdy and expensive version for the new iPads. It's a no from me!
I agree with the Magic Keyboard being incredibly overpriced, but not so much the terrible keyboard part.

I find the typing experience to not be bad at all… currently using it now and I’ll probably buy the new version when I can get one at a heavily discounted price (similar to what I did before).

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Worst thing about Magic Keyboard is that its USB port doesn’t support data. Probably limited capability through the Smart Connector. An update in that area would be welcome, albeit super unlikely.

• Love
Reactions: Rafterman and jazz1

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Even though OLED is on the horizon, I just bought a maxed out iPad 12.9. If a new model comes out in two weeks, and isn't much mre expensive ($100-$200 max), I would exchange. But if it comes out later, or it's super-expensive, I am quite happy with an M2/16B/2TB cellular model that will probably be top notch for the next 3-4 years, at least.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I want one but going to wait. I do not like the idea of “burn-in” and until I hear it is absolutely not problem, not spending that kind of money on it. My 12.9 iPad Pro is my most used Apple device and I can not imagine the screen being that much better than what I am using now. Being thinner does nothing for me. Apple obsession with thin has given us smaller batteries, over heating and other issues on our iPhones, MacBooks and iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.