Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I swear to buy an iPad PrOLED and frankly given the fact there are zero mainstream reports of OLED iPhones getting burn-in, I don't know what you're on about. It feels like you're just taking a great new feature and rejecting it for no reason, as if the new feature is the problem.

Reminds me of when they introduced an always on display and some people were afraid to use it because of burn in fears. Do you not think that was a consideration when Apple built and tested it?

Reactions: G5isAlive

NickTheo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
I suspect they'll get it out the door for delivery last week of March or so just to boost Q1 sales a bit since that's usually a slumping period in all retail sales.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I want one but going to wait. I do not like the idea of “burn-in” and until I hear it is absolutely not problem, not spending that kind of money on it. My 12.9 iPad Pro is my most used Apple device and I can not imagine the screen being that much better than what I am using now. Being thinner does nothing for me. Apple obsession with thin has given us smaller batteries, over heating and other issues on our iPhones, MacBooks and iMacs.

iPhones are OLED, and I don't think I've heard any problems with burn-in. No reason to beleive the iPads would fare worse.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
iPhones are OLED, and I don't think I've heard any problems with burn-in. No reason to beleive the iPads would fare worse.
Agreed. There isn't really a static taskbar etc on iPad, like there is on Windows and Mac OS when using an OLED monitor. The worst thing would be using something like Safari or Pages for hours and hours and hours day in day out.

Reactions: Rafterman

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
What will this move do to resell value?

I see some trouble with this. Is there are reliable burn in detector app? I'm all for OLED, simply as the screens have superior in a lot of ways, but I wonder.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

The use case is different as you go up in size. iPhones don't sit like desktop monitors.

To think you can't leave a static screen in a desktop arrangement is troubling.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: canyonblue737

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
What ever Apple releases next week I don’t want it. I don’t want “burn in” after a year and countless threads about OLED iPad Pros. I don’t care what new features it has.

you do realize iPhones are OLED? so are Apple Watches. for many years. with no burn in issues. OLED burn in has been largely mitigated since the technology was first developed.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
the difference is insanely obvious in a dark environment, especially for darker images or if black bars are present. In daylight it's not that evident. I can see it, but I barely care (I have a mini-lend iPad and 3 Samsung Oled tablets, plus several LCD tablets from Apple and other brands)
That’s fair. In daylight I too have noticed that the difference is negligible.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
In my case my original iPad air, 2014 model, is long retired. I want the iPad Pro 12.9 with 1TB of memory. I don't really need that much internal memory storage but with the M2 iPad Pro you get 16GB of RAM at that level. We will see how that works out in the M3 version. The reason why it has taken Apple so long to add an OLED display to the iPad was trouble getting a good yield from production runs. That has been solved. The way I see it Apple Care will take care of any trouble I might have with the OLED display. If you look at 4K, and 8K TV panels with OLED displays you don't hear much trouble with them now and we are talking about 65+" screens.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
As a display nerd, people often forget or don’t realize the main benefit with OLED over even miniLED is response time. Apple’s 60hz LCD panels are pretty decent on most of their devices but the ProMotion miniLED panels on the MBP and IPP 12.9” are so poor and have such bad ghosting I would rather have a 60hz panel. I actually just “downgraded” from a 16” MBP M1 Pro to a 13” MBA M3 and don’t miss it.

Now Apple’s OLED+ProMotion are superior than the rest of the industry IMO so if they can bring that tech to an iPad I’m all for it!

Reactions: G5isAlive and jazz1

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Gonna be so expensive, can’t see it worth swapping my 11” M1 for, OLED might be ok on a 12.9 but I wouldn’t buy that size again.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
As a display nerd, people often forget or don’t realize the main benefit with OLED over even miniLED is response time. Apple’s 60hz LCD panels are pretty decent on most of their devices but the ProMotion miniLED panels on the MBP and IPP 12.9” are so poor and have such bad ghosting I would rather have a 60hz panel. I actually just “downgraded” from a 16” MBP M1 Pro to a 13” MBA M3 and don’t miss it.

Now Apple’s OLED+ProMotion are superior than the rest of the industry IMO so if they can bring that tech to an iPad I’m all for it!
I draw occasionally on my iPad, when coming from the LCD 10.5" Pro to the miniLED 12.9" Pro, the rather slow response time was immediately noticeable, like a drawn stroke would take time to appear on screen. Since I don't rely on the drawing ability of the device, I decided to keep it since the HDR, M1, Magic KB, just that as a whole it was a really good package (and still is). I can imagine an artist or engineer who draws every other minute are being irritated by this.

Another short coming of the current Pros is the battery life. It was not amazing even when new where the battery was at 100% health. Mine is now more than 2 years old with >500 cycles, health is reported at 86% which makes the up time even less. I constant have to make sure mine is being charged when I am not using it. The rumors saying the new Pro will get reduced thickness doesn't excite me, I would rather the space being filled with more battery than another 1mm of air (as if the iPads were even considered too thick nowadays). Though the rumored inclusion of MagSafe may make charging easier which can offset this a bit.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Where do you see these stats? I see them on my iPhone, but my iPadPro doesn’t show these, at least not in the same place (Settings->Battery). iPadPro 4th Gen, iPadOSv17.4.
I use an app on the Mac called CoconutBattery, it is usually meant for checking MacBook battery, but when an iPad or iPhone is plugged to the Mac it can check that as well.

Reactions: SalisburySam

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
This thread question is so easy to answer that it's pointless to answer:

I duly Swear an Oath *raise right hand* that I will NOT buy an OLED iPad Pro"​

... for the simple reason that I have no many to buy one, lol 😂

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
OLED no OLED, who cares.

the real question is is apple going to release a keyboard that doesn't double the weight and is a joy to use? is apple going ot make the OS better for productivity? if so, instant buy for me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jazz1

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
OLED no OLED, who cares.

the real question is is apple going to release a keyboard that doesn't double the weight and is a joy to use? is apple going ot make the OS better for productivity? if so, instnat buy for me.

The new keyboard is rumored to be aluminum, so it might be even heavier.

• Haha
Reactions: boultonn

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
OLED no OLED, who cares.

the real question is is apple going to release a keyboard that doesn't double the weight and is a joy to use? is apple going ot make the OS better for productivity? if so, instant buy for me.
As I have pointed out elsewhere the only thing magical about the Apple Magic keyboard is how it magically relieves you of $200 bucks. For $200 bucks each I have a Keychron Q1, and a Q12. They have CNC machined cases, The Q1 weights 3.5 pounds, the Q12 weights over 5 pounds. If I am going to pay good money for a keyboard I want one that feels like a $200 dollar keyboard.

• Haha
Reactions: SalisburySam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.