Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
The screen update is welcomed, but overall, it’s a very incremental update. I was hoping for 4K output on TV, but still on 1080p. The storage bump is nice, tough 64 Go is still limited.

Reactions: SegNerd

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah I am going to wait till the "Pro" version is launched. While a new screen and the new kick stand are nice I don't think they are enough to warrant an upgrade from the OG Switch.

Reactions: trevpimp

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The screen update is welcomed, but overall, it’s a very incremental update. I was hoping for 4K output on TV, but still on 1080p. The storage bump is nice, tough 64 Go is still limited.
I still think consumers are generally using 1080P as it is, 4K TVs have been around for a while now, but I don’t think consumers generally upgrade TV’s that often enough where 4K would be relevant to them, plus I find that most of them have no idea what 4K even is, even though tech aficionados like us, that’s a main selling point.

As for OLED? Sure, you have the ‘true’ black/rich colors, but I think LCD is perfectly fine for brightness and it still sufficient, I do think it is an upgrade for display technology, even though OLED has been with us for the better part of 10 years. Obviously the biggest drawback with OLED, is image retention.

Reactions: fwmireault

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I had really expected more, at this point in the Switch's lifecycle. It is still using the 4 year old hardware, and now it looks like we have to wait at least another year before we get a proper update. And increasing the price by 50$ with 4 year old hardware and (still!) drifting joy-cons is a really ****** move IMHO.

The color is nice though!

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
If the OLED display provided more battery life to the switch it would be worth the upgrade. I'm not interested in upgrading from the OG switch but Nintendo did bring a surprise.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
While a nice addition for those wanting a better screen I am waiting for a 'Pro' model..

Reactions: trevpimp

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
insane that they are raising the price..... of a 4 year old system....

Yet dumb people are going to get it anyway then buy a 12 year old game that is "HD" for $60 and say how great Nintendo is

Reactions: Royksöpp

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Has Nintendo ever released a „Pro“ version of their consoles, with increased performance? Not too familiar with previous handhelds, but I had the impression their non portable systems always stuck with the same specs throughout the generation. (Which also makes sense to me. Not a big fan of the mid-cycle boost that Sony and MS introduced.)

Reactions: Pezimak

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Has Nintendo ever released a „Pro“ version of their consoles, with increased performance? Not too familiar with previous handhelds, but I had the impression their non portable systems always stuck with the same specs throughout the generation. (Which also makes sense to me. Not a big fan of the mid-cycle boost that Sony and MS introduced.)

Handhelds yes.
Gameboys got the Gameboy color
DS got the DSi
3DS got the New 3DS

Consoles never got a performance upgrade though.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This should have been the first Switch, with LAN port and better kickstand. Took them long enough. Also less bezels.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I got one in, maybe more than one for safekeeping :p

while I decide whether or not to do it

pretty compelling to trade old joy cons, standard black dock, and trade AC edition v2 tablet for $200 (and keep AC edition joy cons and cream colored dock) to Gamestop so I pay $150 out of pocket.

I got a v1 too, but that's for fiddling at this point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.