Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
How are people trading in before getting their new switch?! Do you not need to do a system transfer or will you just redownload any games from the shop?!

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I can only assume they either a: already have multiple systems and will do a system transfer or b: have Nintendo online and just plan to redownload everything and then sync their saves through the cloud.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
How are people trading in before getting their new switch?! Do you not need to do a system transfer or will you just redownload any games from the shop?!

i have a lite and almost all game saves I care about are in the cloud

transferred animal crossing save too manually

splatoon 2 I forgot didn’t support cloud save but manually it didn’t transfer my ranking so that sucks. ive played it so much I’m looking forward to 3 at this point but wish that didn’t happen. So never got too far when I did try manual on a previous switch console a few months ago

Reactions: Aneres11

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
I pre ordered the white OLED switch three weeks ago and I'm unsure if I should keep it. For a long time I wanted to have one, and it would be my first, but I still don't know if it is worth €349,99 when the V2 version is on sale for €280...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I pre ordered the white OLED switch three weeks ago and I'm unsure if I should keep it. For a long time I wanted to have one, and it would be my first, but I still don't know if it is worth €349,99 when the V2 version is on sale for €280...
That’s worth the price difference as a new purchase imo

Reactions: m.x

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Beautiful display! That RGB instead of Pentile OLED really helps a lot with 720p for crispiness.

makes me think the graphical horsepower is better even though it isnt.

This is a marvel for handheld users

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
The OLED screen is absolutely fabulous, and worth the upgrade 100 percent for me. I only has a Lite, so the difference is massive. I cannot wait to dig into all of my games.

Reactions: m.x

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So close to falling for the hype and buying one until I watched some YouTube videos of top 10 and 20 games that are maybe slightly better than mobile games but instead of costing a few bucks each they're $50 to $60. And, value, specs (for example 4GB RAM vs 16GB RAM) and versatility are low relative to Steam Deck.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The OLED screen is absolutely fabulous, and worth the upgrade 100 percent for me. I only has a Lite, so the difference is massive. I cannot wait to dig into all of my games.
That's great to know. I have had a Switch for 4 weeks. Love playing on my LG C1 but can't play on the small screen for more than 15-20min before my eyes get fatigued.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
So close to falling for the hype and buying one until I watched some YouTube videos of top 10 and 20 games that are maybe slightly better than mobile games but instead of costing a few bucks each they're $50 to $60. And, value, specs (for example 4GB RAM vs 16GB RAM) and versatility are low relative to Steam Deck.
Same. And the internals are four years old. I opted for the PS5 instead and I do not regret it at all.

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
Beautiful display! That RGB instead of Pentile OLED really helps a lot with 720p for crispiness.

makes me think the graphical horsepower is better even though it isnt.

This is a marvel for handheld users
I decided that I keep mine, the display is really, really gorgeous. I played A LOT of Super Mario Odyssey and the colors are amazing. This game is meant to be played on an OLED screen.
I also like the feel of the glass, the overall look of the device (I got the white one) and I'm looking forward to Metroid Dread, another round of BOTW, and I hope Super Mario Galaxy looks as incredible as Odyssey does. However, it's a pure handheld for me. I tested the docking feature not even once, I still have to. And the eShop is infuriating, but that's not too much of an issue. I enjoy playing my games and I'm really happy. It's like a 3DS Pro Max XDR, the ultimate Nintendo handheld. Thanks for your advice!

Reactions: thadoggfather

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Been playing my first switch for about a week now. Having a blast with Mario Kart that I haven't even taken Breath of the Wild out of the box yet. It's a really great device that is a nice change of pace from my PS5.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Been playing my first switch for about a week now. Having a blast with Mario Kart that I haven't even taken Breath of the Wild out of the box yet. It's a really great device that is a nice change of pace from my PS5.
I am enjoying my switch too. The only dislike is the sheer expense of the game. Digital copies of 3-4 year old titles are £49.99.

Meanwhile on a boring evening I can browse the Xbox store and spontaneously buy good games on sale for £4-15 or dip into Gamepass for one month.

Mario games are great but I wish that Nintendo games weren't so expensive. :confused:

Reactions: MacRealist91

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I am enjoying my switch too. The only dislike is the sheer expense of the game. Digital copies of 3-4 year old titles are £49.99.

Meanwhile on a boring evening I can browse the Xbox store and spontaneously buy good games on sale for £4-15 or dip into Gamepass for one month.

Mario games are great but I wish that Nintendo games weren't so expensive. :confused:

1st party games always hold their price. including damn port of Tropical Freeze, which was a $20 best hits game on Wii U

still a fantastic game, but Nintendo aint playing around with their prices

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
its because idiots buy it.... saw the Black Friday deals. How is Zelda $40 !!! still without DLC.

My friend bought the OLED Switch it defiantly looks much nicer but I never use it as a handheld. I just got someone who sold me Metroid for $30 but also bought the new Call of Duty so who knows when I'll get around to playing it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
its because idiots buy it.... saw the Black Friday deals. How is Zelda $40 !!! still without DLC.

My friend bought the OLED Switch it defiantly looks much nicer but I never use it as a handheld. I just got someone who sold me Metroid for $30 but also bought the new Call of Duty so who knows when I'll get around to playing it.
Nintendo isn't big on discounting their games. I don't think they ever have been to be honest.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I really wanted to buy it; my launch switch battery is no longer the same (I´m sure im hitting 3-3.5 hours before having to plug it in) and my habits have switched from docked 90 % of the time to Handheld 85% of the time according to my year in review.

But then I read I´ll have to just redownload everything to the new unit and I´m no longer sure; I have my 512 gb micro sd pretty much at capacity and I was hoping I might just be able to plug it into the new unit once the transfer was done.

These are the small details nintendo needs to work on as part of the user experience.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I moved to an OLED Switch and indeed did have to re-download all of my games. Left it on overnight to complete as the Switch downloads quite slowly.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I really wanted to buy it; my launch switch battery is no longer the same (I´m sure im hitting 3-3.5 hours before having to plug it in) and my habits have switched from docked 90 % of the time to Handheld 85% of the time according to my year in review.

But then I read I´ll have to just redownload everything to the new unit and I´m no longer sure; I have my 512 gb micro sd pretty much at capacity and I was hoping I might just be able to plug it into the new unit once the transfer was done.

These are the small details nintendo needs to work on as part of the user experience.
Curious, do you buy physical media for video games (for the games that have them), or is it all pure digital? Do you also have a large collection of digital only video games, and a whole mess of multimedia? I ended up getting a bunch of micro SD cards and passed them along to friends. One said he was running low on space, so that was appreciated. I didn't get a chance to ask him about this, so I was wondering what people do with Switches that really fill out storage so quickly.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
As an aside I bought the white dock and use it with the OG Switch. I have to say ir performs well, switching into docked mode as well as the speed from console turn on to the start screen appearing on the TV is noticeably quicker. A good investment in my opinion.

If you play docked mostly, as I do, I'd just recommend getting the dock only. You have to get it direct from Nintendo though, which you can do on their website.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I saw the OLED Switch for the first time today in a store in person, it wasn't switched on but I was impressed. Im debating weather ti swap my OG Switch for it, but with all the rumours of a Switch 2 next year I'm not sure.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I saw the OLED Switch for the first time today in a store in person, it wasn't switched on but I was impressed. Im debating weather ti swap my OG Switch for it, but with all the rumours of a Switch 2 next year I'm not sure.

Wouldn't you have to see it on to be impressed? dont understand.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Wouldn't you have to see it on to be impressed? dont understand.

Not really because I have a Switch OG model. And an OLED TV and I've seen plenty of videos on it to have an idea. OLED screens IMO tend to offer similar popping colours etc. I have played my Switch on my OLED TV, but these days I tend to play it handheld hence thinking about changing.
I also have a Vita OLED model so have an idea of smaller OLED screens too.

I should add I was impressed with its design and the colour of the white Joycons.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Going to patiently wait for the Switch 2. (Whenever that releases)

Nintendo could've done a spec bump with the OLED release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.