Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Going to patiently wait for the Switch 2. (Whenever that releases)

Nintendo could've done a spec bump with the OLED release.
My thought is the OLED model was going to be the next version but the silicon shortage made it impossible to get the new SoC at scale so they released what we see today.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My thought is the OLED model was going to be the next version but the silicon shortage made it impossible to get the new SoC at scale so they released what we see today.
I wonder what SoC they were going to use. If sticking with nvidia Xavier seems to fit the timeline (unless they would have gone with Tegra X2), though did TSMC have issues with 12nm FF products?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I saw the OLED Switch for the first time today in a store in person, it wasn't switched on but I was impressed. Im debating weather ti swap my OG Switch for it, but with all the rumours of a Switch 2 next year I'm not sure.
Rumors of a Switch 2... next year? Didn't Nintendo give a ton of quotes over the past year saying that they believe the current Switch is "mid cycle"? Sure, it's something you'd expect a business to say so as not to kill sales. They probably won't announce the new Switch until just a few months before it's ready to go on sale, but as much as I wish the rumors were true, I don't see it happening.

I am passing on the OLED Switch because while I play hand-held 99% of the time, I'm fine with the current screen. Need a more substantial upgrade. If my current Switch died, I'm honestly not sure if I'd replace it with the OLED Switch or standard Switch, either.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Rumors of a Switch 2... next year? Didn't Nintendo give a ton of quotes over the past year saying that they believe the current Switch is "mid cycle"? Sure, it's something you'd expect a business to say so as not to kill sales. They probably won't announce the new Switch until just a few months before it's ready to go on sale, but as much as I wish the rumors were true, I don't see it happening.

I am passing on the OLED Switch because while I play hand-held 99% of the time, I'm fine with the current screen. Need a more substantial upgrade. If my current Switch died, I'm honestly not sure if I'd replace it with the OLED Switch or standard Switch, either.

I think most of the recent rumours came after the Nvidia leak. It’s obvious they are working on a new chip for a new Switch, because Nintendo were said to be absolutely livid about the leaks.
Nintendo isn‘t lying though, because they’ll keep the OG Switch around in some form or other even with a new more powerful model on sale.
I think I’ll get an OLED model unless rumours really ramp up in a new Switch. Got Kirby coming this weekend too :), take my frustration off Metroid Dread ??

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
A few months in, and the OLED is still well worth the upgrade. Playing games in handheld mode is much better due to the screen. If you are mainly going to be playing it docked, save 50 and get a regular switch though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I think most of the recent rumours came after the Nvidia leak. It’s obvious they are working on a new chip for a new Switch, because Nintendo were said to be absolutely livid about the leaks.
Nintendo isn‘t lying though, because they’ll keep the OG Switch around in some form or other even with a new more powerful model on sale.
I think I’ll get an OLED model unless rumours really ramp up in a new Switch. Got Kirby coming this weekend too :), take my frustration off Metroid Dread ??
I wouldn't expect a new switch anytime soon. Mario Kart 8 is getting new DLC through the end of 2023. Breath of the Wild 2 is in 2023. Guessing 2024 for a new switch.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I wouldn't expect a new switch anytime soon. Mario Kart 8 is getting new DLC through the end of 2023. Breath of the Wild 2 is in 2023. Guessing 2024 for a new switch.
History sort of repeats itself. IIRC, people were worried that the first BotW would only be for Switch since it got delayed for a few years. However, they've already mostly developed it for Wii U, so nothing to worry about there!

Reactions: Pezimak

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
History sort of repeats itself. IIRC, people were worried that the first BotW would only be for Switch since it got delayed for a few years. However, they've already mostly developed it for Wii U, so nothing to worry about there!
I think the decisions to delay Zelda Wii U (later named BOTW) for 2 years were largely made because of the colossal failure the Wii U was. We'd be seeing much longer delays if BOTW 2 was intended to launch a new console like BOTW was.

We may get a switch pro more akin to the ps4 pro though this fall, but I don't expect anything "next-gen" for a couple years. Not with the switch content already planned and announced.

I have a hunch that Mario Kart 9 (or 10 if you count Home Circuit as 9) is going to be the big next-gen launch title whenever that is. MK8 came out in 2014 and is just living off DLC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.