Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hello, guys. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. It’s great but I tried the new Galaxy S23 Ultra and it made a very good impression to me. The S-Pen seems useful in some situations and I love the fact that Android supports a true multitasking. Apps don’t get killed when they’re not on screen. Every process (ie. uploading a file) stays active. I also like the fact that the product and accessories are cheaper (at least here in Europe). Or a true file system and USB-C full compatibility with every device. On the other hand, I fear I will miss MagSafe, AirDrop and other exclusive features of iPhone. I’m also afraid portrait mode, which I use a lot, works better on iPhone because of LiDAR and better camera processing. But I’m not sure. Did somebody do the same switch or have direct experience or both devices as daily drivers? Before transferring everything to Android or decide to stay on iOS, I think it’s useful to get some opinions. Thanks a lot!

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I switch between the two just got rid of a 14 pro max and I am back to my S22 Ultra. I can say android is the better platform to use it much easier and has so many different options that iPhone doesn't.

As years go but android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times. But apple still has the most people using them over android. I am not bashing one over the other just stating my personal feeling about both platforms.

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
I had been using Samsung phones since 2013, and up until last year I was pretty happy with them. Then my Note 20 died out of the blue and it was only 18 months old. I also had 2 Galaxy watches die on me and both were less than a year old. I also had issues with a Samsung TV as well. This all turned me off to Samsung and I bought my first Iphone (13 Pro Max) last year.
Im not sure if I've just had bad luck or if there something going on at Samsung. Im at the point where I just want everything to work seamlessly and Iphone/Apple Watch do that. Android pushes "Meet" which is a hot mess when compared to Facetime, and while android does have some cool things it isn't worth losing the "just works" that Apple really does seem to have. Just my experience and 2 cents.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hello, guys. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. It’s great but I tried the new Galaxy S23 Ultra and it made a very good impression to me. The S-Pen seems useful in some situations and I love the fact that Android supports a true multitasking. Apps don’t get killed when they’re not on screen. Every process (ie. uploading a file) stays active. I also like the fact that the product and accessories are cheaper (at least here in Europe). Or a true file system and USB-C full compatibility with every device. On the other hand, I fear I will miss MagSafe, AirDrop and other exclusive features of iPhone. I’m also afraid portrait mode, which I use a lot, works better on iPhone because of LiDAR and better camera processing. But I’m not sure. Did somebody do the same switch or have direct experience or both devices as daily drivers? Before transferring everything to Android or decide to stay on iOS, I think it’s useful to get some opinions. Thanks a lot!
Are you looking for an opinion to confirm you want to move ahead, or have you already decided and want to know the pitfalls and differences?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I really like the new S23 Ultra and I would buy it, but there are some things that I would miss, so I of course will stay with the iPhone:
  • The integration with the Apple Ecosystem. I only use Apple products, so not using an iPhone would mean, no FaceTime on my phone, no iMessages, no SMS forwarding to all my devices, no iCloud Keychain (this though isn't a problem for me since I am using 1Password).
  • No native support for my AirPods Pro and Max. Of course I could connect them via Bluetooth, but it's not the same.
  • I would miss Things. I would have to find a better ToDo Manager for me. My other option would be Omnifocus, but it's also not really available on Android (there are some 3rd party apps though, but don't work as well)
  • No FaceID. This is a big one for me, so I would miss it.
  • No support for AirPlay
People many times (including myself) take things for granted and forget all the functionality an iPhone enables. The Samsung S23 Ultra is a very nice device which I would use as my second phone, but definitely not as my primary.
Of course, there are people out there that don't really value the tight integration of all Apple devices. For these people the S23 Ultra would be a great buy.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Are you looking for an opinion to confirm you want to move ahead, or have you already decided and want to know the pitfalls and differences?
I didn’t make a choice. I’m just trying to understand if my idea is good or bad

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
I would weigh your options with what is really important out of your phone. Do most of your contacts use iMessage? Or do you have WhatsApp or another platform for text/IM? I’ve never really been too impressed with the iPhone photo performance vs other android flagships, but some reason the iPhone holds it down with solid video capture performance.

I bounce around using a lot of Google stuff on my iPhone, and I feel like if I switched I could somewhat make do with it. Most of my contacts are iMessage, but also have WhatsApp too. I ultimately decided that I stayed iPhone, but I would love to try a Pixel “a” series phone. If you are deeply vested in the Apple experience, then your mind might be made up already. But there are benefits on both sides and they more or less do the same tasks similarly.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The truth is that only you can answer. Some people prefer one over the other based on personal preference/needs. You may be happy with a switch, but you also may not. There's no one right answer or big red flag to say no to the S23.

Well said. Only the OP can answer this, we can offer our own opinions. I personally could not do it because I’m deeply engrained in the Apple ecosystem and would miss too many features (iMessage, FaceTime, etc.).

Reactions: maxrest

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
The biggest thing you should consider, and that most overlook, is that it’s not a question of which device in isolation or in theory or on paper is the best; rather, it’s which ecosystem is best for you, including the effort to change ecosystems.

If you also have even one other computer-like device (laptop, tablet, watch, smarthome hub, etc.), it’s almost assuredly not worth switching (in either direction). Even if your phone is your only device, it’s still no small task to switch.

And if the switch is worthwhile, it’s because it’s the other ecosystem is significantly better for you (for whatever constellation of reasons) and worth changing out all your devices.

While mix-and-match is theoretically possible, I can’t think of any situation where I’ve heard somebody has been happy with how it has worked out. The closest you might get is, for example, an Apple person with a lone Windows laptop permanently tied with a cable to some specific piece of hardware which it’s controlling, and the Windows laptop is signed into iCloud Drive for file transfer.

For me, were I coming at it fresh, the security of the Apple ecosystem makes it a no-brainer — never mind all the rest that I personally prefer. No, Apple isn’t perfect; far from it. But Apple makes their money upfront from hardware sales (including their gold-plated extended warranty service), whereas Google very openly and unashamedly makes its money by selling every last scrap of information it can glean from you; you’re just supposed to trust that this is so that they can “enhance” your “experience.” As the saying goes, if you’re not buying, you’re what’s being sold.

With that in mind, not to mention how deep down the Apple ecosystem rabbit hole I am, Apple would have to fall so very, very far before I’d even think about entertaining the possibility of switching.

Add in the fact that Apple is doing quite well, thankyouverymuch, and I really don’t see it happening.

But, again: if you’re already in the Google ecosystem … for one, the cat’s already out of the bag; for another, what you’d gain by switching to Apple likely isn’t going to be enough to convince you that it’s a good idea.

b&

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
They are different ecosystems, of course, that's the main thing. If that isn't important to you then you can enjoy the periscope camera which is way better than iPhone's 3x zoom lens. You can also check out a Gcam port if you want better pictures than the Samsungy ones. MKBHD always does good videos, also about the S23 ultra.

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2021
I used to daily a 12 Pro Max and a 7+, and considered purchasing a 14 PM (and retiring the 7+, and making the 12 PM a secondary) when it came out, but decided against it as there wasn’t anything amazing coming from the 12 PM.

I’ve been into Apple in general since my childhood, when I was around 9 or 10, and on iOS particularly from iOS 4. I had tried an android ages ago (Xperia Z3), and I hated it. Was back on an iPhone in 10 months after getting 3 or 4 replacement devices. Android was terrible back then

My best friend uses an s22 Ultra and the screen and performance blew me away. Having seen that, I really wanted to try something new. Considered the Fold 4, but I know I’d never open it and use the big screen; a S22 Ultra, but that’d be too much for a daily with a 12 PM; a 13 Mini, I hate buying outdated tech (even if it’s a year old) and finally a Z flip 4, which a pulled the trigger on.

I have to say, I’m damn happy I did. Most people here blindly hate on android, but it’s been an amazing experience for me. iOS in the past year or two, has had so many bugs and glitches that it’s annoying; and I love iOS, I grew up with it. I can tell you, at least Samsung’s one UI 5.1 (android 13) is more stable than iOS 16.3.1. iOS has gotten very stale as well. I love the folding form factor of the flip and how easily it fits into my pocket, and the screen is far, far better than any iPhone. While the main camera on the iPhone is better, in my opinion the Flip’s Ultra wide camera is slightly better.

Now the drawbacks are, I have a MacBook, AirPods, 2 Apple Watches. Obviously I knew this going in, but I don’t need to connect my flip to the mac to transfer pictures or vids. Opening iCloud.com on android, you can download or upload any picture or video. Another thing is AirPods don’t work great on android and are just like any other pair of earphones. Other than that, I have zero issues. The phone has gotten smoother over time as the updates have rolled in and battery life has improved too.

Currently the iPhone is still my main phone, but if the mini returns, I might actually switch to an s23 ultra or fold and get a smaller iPhone and make it the secondary phone in the future.

I didn’t buy the Galaxy to replace my iPhone, I purchased it as a separate device because I need it. I enjoy both, and I can wholeheartedly tell you, you’d enjoy a change whether you decide to use an android as a primary or secondary phone. Change is always good and it’s best to experience the best of both worlds.

P.S: I’ve preordered an s23 Ultra for my mother, who hates iPhones and loves Samsung. Getting a Galaxy watch 4 classic and Galaxy buds too. Low key excited to try em out.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
All Android phones have two major problems.

1: They run Android.

2: They are re-designed almost every year just for sake of re-design, so the companies could market that re-design. Result is often a poor design that isn’t refined and evolved.

This is my personal opinion.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I have several android devices and I also always keep an iPhone. At this point there is really only one thing keeping me even owning an iPhone and that's the Apple Watch, specifically the Ultra.

As for Magsafe, I don't miss it one bit as there are several Magsafe compatible cases for Android now. Spigen has one for the S23 Ultra and it's been pretty good so far. I also have one on my Pixel 7 Pro. Airdrop, you are going to miss if most of your family/social circle uses iPhones. Samsung has their own version but it only works between samsung phones and tablets. I usually just share photos and videos by link either from google photos or samsung. While not as seamless as airdrop it does work great cross platform unlike AirDrop or iMessage.

I saw somebody mention Airpods. I have the Buds 2 Pro and Pixel Buds Pro. Both work fantastic and just as good as my Airpods Pro 2 in my opinion. My S23 Ultra and Fold 4 work just as seamless with my Tab S8 Ultra as my iPhone does with my iPad Pro/Macbook Air.

Both ecosystems have their advantages and neither is a bad choice. I can say if I had to choose one I don't think there is much I would be missing out on either way.

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
If you don’t mind google and third parties owning and sharing your data down to the keys you press on your keyboard go for it. Also, with galaxy, all the government has to do it plug into a machine and get all of your stuff. Not that they need to, your data is not encrypted in the cloud over at google. They have the keys.

That alone would prevent me from ever purchasing. I’m not okay with big tech using my personal information to make money.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and War833

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I didn’t make a choice. I’m just trying to understand if my idea is good or bad
Like others said, your idea being good or bad is completely dependent on you. For people who prefer their iPhone, like myself haha, they’re gonna likely say it’s a bad idea. For people who prefer Samsung, they’re likely gonna say it’s a good idea.

At the end of the day, both are excellent smartphones! It really just depends on what YOU want and how much those features you mentioned mean to YOU.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Like some other posters I’ve had particularly bad experiences with Samsung devices (quality and software issues) so I cannot imagine switching to Samsung. Android as an OS is quite OK, I actually have a Google Pixel as backup which is fine. It’s just a bit different, and feels more open, but obviously lacks the tight integration with other Apple devices… My (unwanted) advice: if you’re curious to the ‘other side’ try a modern Pixel 😎

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
If you don’t mind google and third parties owning and sharing your data down to the keys you press on your keyboard go for it. Also, with galaxy, all the government has to do it plug into a machine and get all of your stuff. Not that they need to, your data is not encrypted in the cloud over at google. They have the keys.

That alone would prevent me from ever purchasing. I’m not okay with big tech using my personal information to make money.
stop spreading misinformation.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 125535.png

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
> I can say android is the better platform to use it much easier and has so many different options that iPhone doesn't.

I can say from first-hand experience as a developer that Android is a complete disaster. The foundations are just not there, and it's awful to work with. I don't want to hate android, but I absolutely hate android and wish Windows Mobile or PalmOS would have succeeded instead.

> As years go but android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times.

Under the hood, android seems like it never evolved from being a skunkworks project.

Reactions: kitKAC

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i was "cell-phone less" since 2005 and had to get one in 2022, July on a brisk sunny night!
that iPhone 12 mini BLUE has a great camera, great reception, beautiful! and syncs well with my other  toys and
not one spam call!
not that  blocked them or Tim Loves me, but seems to me they do a better job funneling calls.
meanwhile every neighbor with a non- phone are always getting unwanted calls.
this is my personal life and not a reading from a mag-site.

this is my last comment here, enjoy your celluars, Phonies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.