Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Hello, I have both s23 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro Max, let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to share my thoughts if you'd like

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I just ordered the S23 Ultra as my second phone. My iPhone 14 Pro Max will remain my main smartphone, for reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Reactions: aggie99

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Hello, guys. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. It’s great but I tried the new Galaxy S23 Ultra and it made a very good impression to me. The S-Pen seems useful in some situations and I love the fact that Android supports a true multitasking. Apps don’t get killed when they’re not on screen. Every process (ie. uploading a file) stays active. I also like the fact that the product and accessories are cheaper (at least here in Europe). Or a true file system and USB-C full compatibility with every device. On the other hand, I fear I will miss MagSafe, AirDrop and other exclusive features of iPhone. I’m also afraid portrait mode, which I use a lot, works better on iPhone because of LiDAR and better camera processing. But I’m not sure. Did somebody do the same switch or have direct experience or both devices as daily drivers? Before transferring everything to Android or decide to stay on iOS, I think it’s useful to get some opinions. Thanks a lot!
To each their own but I just don’t understand why someone would want to go to Android from ios. Androids don’t have FaceTime, ApplePay, airdrop, Face ID, sync with applewatch, sync with other apple devices such as MacBook Pro, among many other things… Hey I can even setup a new AppleTV with a iPhone and control a appleTV with a iPhone.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
While mix-and-match is theoretically possible, I can’t think of any situation where I’ve heard somebody has been happy with how it has worked out. The closest you might get is, for example, an Apple person with a lone Windows laptop permanently tied with a cable to some specific piece of hardware which it’s controlling, and the Windows laptop is signed into iCloud Drive for file transfer.

I do macOS alongside Android I think it's a great combo.

Apple laptops are just better than anything Windows has to offer, considering Windows laptops are basically around mac price territory for a while now. Long battery life, great performance, fluid OS, and excellent build quality in a small form factor.

Android is better for me because it just presents so much more value than iPhone. I have a $200 Redmi with a bright 120Hz 6.67" AMOLED, 5000mAh, headphone jack. Dead slow chip compared to Apple but I don't care as I although I game, I prefer low settings anyway. PUBG on low settings is about 45fps.

I used to have an iPhone with a mac but still preferred to keep things separate, answering texts and calls on the iPhone. Airdrop and universal clipboard was nice, but didn't use it much. Now with an Android I rely on Google a lot. Suits me anyway as I use Google Drive along with sheets and docs everyday.

Best combo IMO, nothing beats a macbook for value and nothing beats Android value. Let my phone do phone functions and everything else syncs using Google.

Edit: I appreciate I don't live in the US so a) I can get cheap good quality Chinese phones and b) people here don't rely on imessage, it's basically all whatsapp.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
To each their own but I just don’t understand why someone would want to go to Android from ios. Androids don’t have FaceTime, ApplePay, airdrop, Face ID, sync with applewatch, sync with other apple devices such as MacBook Pro, among many other things… Hey I can even setup a new AppleTV with a iPhone and control a appleTV with a iPhone.
Lots of reasons. Most of your reasons are for people who are so far into the Apple ecosystem that they can't see a way out, but for others Dex, Phone Link, Chromecast, etc. are just as big a deal.

Android also allows me to use a one-handed launcher like Niagra. Springboard is ancient in comparison and Apple is several years past the point where they should rethink how they organize a homescreen. I also don't have to deal with the crap sorting that is App Library on iOS (just let me keep an app where I can find it and stop moving everything). I can sign in once to my password manager and not have to wait on FaceID for every single time I need to fill a password (my phone's unlocked, so just let it trust that I am still me!). For work stuff, I don't have to switch to my Okta app and then switch back to my Outlook since I can actually interact with notifications on Android. It takes a bit more work to make my phone work the way I want it to, but the fact that I can force it to comply to my needs instead of the other way around is very satisfying.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

To be fair I think a lot of this comes down to this being a US-centric forum and good value Androids aren't available there. I assume the argument of 'why Android?' comes from americans, while most of those who hold the opposite opinion are from elsewhere.

For example the just the lack of imessage seems to stop a lot of americans using Android while here in Europe it's just not a concern.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yes, that's how it is. People that value integration will love the Apple ecosystem. There are others though that don't use the Apple Ecosystem as extensively, so for them this wouldn't be an issue.
I will still be using my iPhone as my primary phone. I ordered the S23 Ultra just for fun, as a secondary device. I know it cannot replace my iPhone, mainly because of the Apple Ecosystem. I am also not prepared to get rid of all of my Apple gear, just for a Samsung smartphone.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
To be fair I think a lot of this comes down to this being a US-centric forum and good value Androids aren't available there. I assume the argument of 'why Android?' comes from americans, while most of those who hold the opposite opinion are from elsewhere.

For example the just the lack of imessage seems to stop a lot of americans using Android while here in Europe it's just not a concern.
Android has plenty of US users.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don’t care about that app. Used it once or twice.
You might not care, but others do. Everybody is different.

I love the Apple ecosystem and I will always be in it (at least for a foreseeable time). I am just lucky that I can get a second phone, just for fun. Otherwise I wouldn't be considering an Android phone, not because they are bad (on the contrary), but because they wouldn't integrate well with the other devices I have.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Android has plenty of US users.

In absolute number yes. But globally 72% of users use Android, whereas in N. America it's 45%. Hence why I was saying that perhaps on this US centric forum most people would be hesitant to switch to Android because most use iOS and it's proprietary features.

Doesn't matter that you haven't personally used WhatsApp, what does that piece of information being to this discussion?

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
As years go but android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times. But apple still has the most people using them over android. I am not bashing one over the other just stating my personal feeling about both platforms.
Android has a bigger user base worldwide than iOS/iPadOS. In fact, it has the highest user base out any OS worldwide (PC included).

Apple has the most engaged user base between the two. That’s why app developers will likely put their software on iOS due to higher levels of engagement with the user base, whereas Play (and collective Android stores) doesn’t really match up to the user base.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
In absolute number yes. But globally 72% of users use Android, whereas in N. America it's 45%. Hence why I was saying that perhaps on this US centric forum most people would be hesitant to switch to Android because most use iOS and it's proprietary features.

Doesn't matter that you haven't personally used WhatsApp, what does that piece of information being to this discussion?

If I needs to connect to someone overseas on a Android then I would have no choice but to use WhatsApp.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I used to daily a 12 Pro Max and a 7+, and considered purchasing a 14 PM (and retiring the 7+, and making the 12 PM a secondary) when it came out, but decided against it as there wasn’t anything amazing coming from the 12 PM.

I’ve been into Apple in general since my childhood, when I was around 9 or 10, and on iOS particularly from iOS 4. I had tried an android ages ago (Xperia Z3), and I hated it. Was back on an iPhone in 10 months after getting 3 or 4 replacement devices. Android was terrible back then

My best friend uses an s22 Ultra and the screen and performance blew me away. Having seen that, I really wanted to try something new. Considered the Fold 4, but I know I’d never open it and use the big screen; a S22 Ultra, but that’d be too much for a daily with a 12 PM; a 13 Mini, I hate buying outdated tech (even if it’s a year old) and finally a Z flip 4, which a pulled the trigger on.

I have to say, I’m damn happy I did. Most people here blindly hate on android, but it’s been an amazing experience for me. iOS in the past year or two, has had so many bugs and glitches that it’s annoying; and I love iOS, I grew up with it. I can tell you, at least Samsung’s one UI 5.1 (android 13) is more stable than iOS 16.3.1. iOS has gotten very stale as well. I love the folding form factor of the flip and how easily it fits into my pocket, and the screen is far, far better than any iPhone. While the main camera on the iPhone is better, in my opinion the Flip’s Ultra wide camera is slightly better.

Now the drawbacks are, I have a MacBook, AirPods, 2 Apple Watches. Obviously I knew this going in, but I don’t need to connect my flip to the mac to transfer pictures or vids. Opening iCloud.com on android, you can download or upload any picture or video. Another thing is AirPods don’t work great on android and are just like any other pair of earphones. Other than that, I have zero issues. The phone has gotten smoother over time as the updates have rolled in and battery life has improved too.

Currently the iPhone is still my main phone, but if the mini returns, I might actually switch to an s23 ultra or fold and get a smaller iPhone and make it the secondary phone in the future.

I didn’t buy the Galaxy to replace my iPhone, I purchased it as a separate device because I need it. I enjoy both, and I can wholeheartedly tell you, you’d enjoy a change whether you decide to use an android as a primary or secondary phone. Change is always good and it’s best to experience the best of both worlds.

P.S: I’ve preordered an s23 Ultra for my mother, who hates iPhones and loves Samsung. Getting a Galaxy watch 4 classic and Galaxy buds too. Low key excited to try em out.
For anyone to bash you would be petty as hell. Whether you need an Android device or not, they make tech that does some things Apple doesn’t. They excel in areas Apple doesn’t. When I’m finished with residency I intend to own both the latest iPhone and latest Samsung Galaxy. Because I love tech and can appreciate both. As far as ecosystems, however, I will continue to live in the Apple ecosystem. It really is too easy.

Reactions: Pro_the_legend

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
i’m surprised nobody mentioned Knox encryption. I thought I read an article that said samsung is trusted by governments because of the Knox ?

Reactions: Dave.UK

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Just like most MacRumors users who post this, you will come back within a couple of weeks wanting to come back to iPhone.
Oh please, the iPhone isn't all that.

I was quite disappointed by my iPhone 12 Pro Max's battery life and going to the iPhone 13 Pro was just meh. I am much happier (and more productive) with my Galaxy Z Fold 4.

I love MacOS and have two Macbooks (an Air and Pro), an M1 Mini, and contemplating another M2 Pro Mini or Mac Studio. Also have an iPad Pro 12.9 but I don't use it much now that I have the Fold 4 with me all the time. The iPhone is too plain and basic for my needs with limited widgets/customization and poor multitasking. The thing I miss most about leaving iOS is losing use of my beloved Apple Watch 7 LTE. I genuinely miss my Apple Watch more than the iPhone.

Overall the camera is better on iPhone than my Z Fold 4, but not significantly so. The iPhone 14 Pro Max's (Samsung) display is gorgeous and the island was a clever implementation, but beyond that it's the same bland iPhone to me. If Apple releases a foldable phone with true multitasking (i.e. NOT Stage Manager) then I might come back. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy using Macs and carrying a different phone in my pocket. It's all about which tool works best for me and iPhone isn't it.

I'm not surprised OP finds the S23 Ultra appealing. I loved the Note line going back to the 4, 5, 8, and 10+ before I switched to iPhones, and then switched back to Android. I loved the precision of the S Pen and took copious notes during meetings, including diagrams, snapshots, and it was all so easy to organize notes and multitask.

Last edited:
Reactions: War833 and aggie99

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would say that it is complicated. As others have said it depends a lot on how invested you are in an ecosystem.

However I don't like being locked into something by a company that makes it purposely difficult to use alternative services. Google has many apps that work on iOS and Apple not only doesn't allow a lot of iOS native apps to work on Android they make iMessages as incompatible as possible.

Apple could literally make iMessages available for Android. They could make Facetime for Android but they don't because they want to lock their customers down. They make any transition from iOS to Android as difficult as possible.

In my opinion if you make the best phone then why not make it easy to switch to Android? People who would switch would naturally come back because you make a better product. If you make it difficult then it shows a lack of confidence in your own products. Also if more people on Android were exposed to Facetime, and iMessages they might be interested to see how it works on an iphone and it would serve as free advertising.

All that being said for most apps on iOS there is a Android app equivalent or a workaround.

Once you have determined that despite the drawbacks of leaving the Apple ecosystem you still want to try Android then you can make honest comparisons.

Honestly Apple makes the most premium feeling phone and one of the best designs-period. No Android phone looks as nice when the total package is considered not just one aspect or component. A series processors are the fastest SOC in the phone space period. Apple OS support in terms of years is the best in the business.

BUT Apple purposely holds back on cutting edge components and features arbitrarily. Apple doesn't allow much customization of the UI. Apple charges a lot.

USB C on iPhone is taking forever. I have a few Apple products and they all use USB C but my newest 2022 iPhone has a lightning port? Why? Apple could put Always On Display on iPhone 13 Pro Max but doesn't. Why? Bluetooth standards, wifi standards are not latest gen. Why? Storage and ram are not the latest standard. Why? Cameras just got a 48mp sensor this year. Why?

Now most iPhone users could care less about any of what I mentioned in the paragraph above. If it works and is fast then who cares?

Screen tech? Not the very best.

So in the larger view Apple is great. The phones look incredible and have premium build and materials. But they charge a lot for their devices and most of what I said is for the Pro, Pro Max version of the iPhone. If you bought a regular iPhone 14 there is essentially nothing different about it from the 13. So if you were to upgrade you essentially paid for a title. Even with Samsung holding back it's best cameras and screen for the Ultra all three s23 get the same latest processor and all but the base model s23 get ufs 4.0 and faster ddr5 ram.

I don't understand how Apple can get away with using the a15 from last year in a new phone. One of the things I liked about iPhones were that every iPhone got the best, latest a series chip.

E Sim only. Why? It is not a benefit to the consumer in any way. Since these are expensive phones why not leave a sim tray in the phone?

Ultimately in terms of why you want to switch over from iPhone to Android and whether you should do so is completely up to the individual. Why not just out of curiosity? Why not because Android phones are more customizable, have had newer features first and because you have a lot more hardware choices? Why not because you just want to try something different?

After having been an Android user for years and getting tired of fragmentation with Android updates I switched to iPhone and I loved it although there were several things that bugged me in the UI and settings it was overall a great experience. Over time more Android features got added to iOS which was great. Then for the first time in a while after the iOS 16 update I was not happy using my iPhone. Still I was seriously considering upgrading my 13 Pro Max to a 14 Pro Max.

Ultimately the cost was too high and I had to stop using the 13 Pro Max because of a carrier switch and locked phone. So I decided even though I was deep in Apple ecosystem to switch to a Pixel. Was it perfectly easy? No. But was it as bad as I feared? Definitely not. I actually like the Pixel a lot more than the iPhone. I like the exclusive Pixel features. I like having a choice. I don't like being locked into any ecosystem and Google is a lot better and so is Samsung in that way. If you use a Samsung phone and a Samsung tablet and a windows computer then you can have the same experience as Apple but you have more features.

I still like iOS and iPhones but the myopic view that iPhones are superior and more private and secure is wrong. At this point no mobile OS is private and Google is just as secure. In terms of hardware I guess it boils down to appearance or substance, freedom or integration and more or less choice.

So if you make the switch it is not going to be just rainbows and unicorns. Android is not superior to iOS but both systems have their unique strengths and weaknesses. What you prefer comes down to personal preferences. But if you have been stuck just using one OS for a long time why not give something new a try just to see the difference. If anything it will make you appreciate the change or appreciate what you have missed all the more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.