Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Truth

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2023
Question...does the S23 Ultra have esim or do you have to use a physical SIM card? Also if you're exclusively using an S23 Ultra but you're away from your phone and are using an iPad will text messages from other Apple users still come over to your iPad? Or does your phone have to be an iPhone?
mine has dual sim AND an esim. s23 ultra 512 12 ram european. so total 3 sim!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To be fair I think a lot of this comes down to this being a US-centric forum and good value Androids aren't available there. I assume the argument of 'why Android?' comes from americans, while most of those who hold the opposite opinion are from elsewhere.

For example the just the lack of imessage seems to stop a lot of americans using Android while here in Europe it's just not a concern.
Nope not at all. iPhone user for many years but my app of choice for messages, even when conversing with other iPhone users is whatsApp. In fact. I started using WhatsApp in 2010. Always used it since then. So imesssage has just never been a thing for me.

Reactions: Ultra AleM

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
First thing to think about, do you have other Apple devices? Apple Watch, Macs, iPads, etc? If the answer is yes, save your money and stick with the iPhone. It's not worth the hassle having one oddball device in your current ecosystem. Also consider if you have bought any apps or movies on the iTunes store. You will have to rebuy them on Android if you have to use them, and that's assuming they are available (some apps are platform exclusives).

If you don't have any other Apple devices and only use free multi-platform services and apps, then I can share several things about Android (particularly Samsung). Perspective, I have the Galaxy S21.

True multi-tasking: overhyped. Yes, some apps will remain in the background for uploading/downloading, better than iOS. Agree with this. But overall, Android will also put apps to sleep. Some apps that are coded poorly will still get refreshed everytime I get back to it. There's no consistency. You can force the system to keep particular apps in RAM if you want to, but generally that's not a good idea.

True file system: also overhyped. Current iOS have the Files app, and I can't see anything more a typical user would need. The Files app on iOS already allows manual file management and folder creations for the users. You can also access folders created by apps. On the Android land, it's actually more confusing as you often don't know where apps store their files. Many File Managers are smart enough to self categorize files into pictures, videos, etc, but in the end, I don't see myself wanting to do manual file management that much on my phone. It's a hassle. So I never understand why people are so particulat about this. The only instances when this is needed is if you are a tinkerer, constant sideloading and doing custom ROMs.

Airdrop: Android has its equivalent, which is called Nearby Share. It's only between Android devices though, but it's literally the same as Airdrop.

Portrait mode: I don't have an iPhone with Lidar, but seeing the plethora of Youtube comparisons, seems like that doesn't really significantly offer an advantage. Just look in youtube and see for yourself if you like the photos from the S23. My vote is both phones are great, it's a wash.

If you still want to switch, pay in particular attention to messaging apps. If you use iMessage, say bye bye to that. If you use Whatsapp, pay attention to transfer your chat history when you first setting up the Samsung (can't do it later). If you use iCloud, prepare a bit of manual work beforehand. Better start migrating your contacts to GMail. Your Photos library might need to be migrated as well (back up first).
I have to respectfully disagree on the file system. The file system on iPad OS/iPhone OS frustrates me to no end. I say this as somebody who is heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and I’ve been using iCloud Drive since it launched and all the upgrades to the file system. Simple tasks like saving and locating files to use at a later date frustrated me. I actually don’t like doing it because it’s not logical and takes far too long. Doing the same task on an android phone/windows laptop is a piece of cake. Heck I can even pick up my husband’s android phone which I don’t have the muscle memory for anymore and get the same task done in seconds. On the iPhone/iPad it just takes too long. I’m acting as a guarantor for a house rental for my relatives. The past week I had to provide some financial documents for this. The whole idea of doing this on my iPad, even mac was a daunting task for me because I knew I had to interact with iCloud Drive. It took far longer than it should have.

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
I honestly can’t keep up with all of google’s video calling apps. Is meet the replacement for duo? I thought meet was more enterprise focused and Duo was more for personal calls?
Yes, Meet replaced Duo, and neither is a replacement for Facetime. Having to text a link to start a video call, then having to allow users in is a non-starter for me. Also, the video quality was very poor.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes, Meet replaced Duo, and neither is a replacement for Facetime. Having to text a link to start a video call, then having to allow users in is a non-starter for me. Also, the video quality was very poor.
They should have just stuck with hangouts. It wasn’t the best but it’s better than most of the things they’ve released since. People actually used hangouts for live streams, podcasts. All sorts.

I personally don’t use FaceTime all that much. I use it call my mum, mainly because like you said the video quality is much better than the alternatives. My other relatives use WhatsApp or messenger, so if we are video calling I have to use that. At work we use teams, all day all the time. In my previous job we used zoom.

So how does meet work on a nest hub max for video calling? Does it still have to send out that text? I don’t have a best hub max, but I might try it out later on my kids Chromebook and call my husband’s phone. Not sure if he has the meet app installed though.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have to respectfully disagree on the file system. The file system on iPad OS/iPhone OS frustrates me to no end. I say this as somebody who is heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and I’ve been using iCloud Drive since it launched and all the upgrades to the file system. Simple tasks like saving and locating files to use at a later date frustrated me. I actually don’t like doing it because it’s not logical and takes far too long. Doing the same task on an android phone/windows laptop is a piece of cake. Heck I can even pick up my husband’s android phone which I don’t have the muscle memory for anymore and get the same task done in seconds. On the iPhone/iPad it just takes too long. I’m acting as a guarantor for a house rental for my relatives. The past week I had to provide some financial documents for this. The whole idea of doing this on my iPad, even mac was a daunting task for me because I knew I had to interact with iCloud Drive. It took far longer than it should have.
I have to agree with @ian87w here.

Perhaps, because I rely more on 3rd party app (FileBrowser) and it doesn’t take me long to do simple task. I only rely on Files app to move files across apps. Heck, I use FileBrowser to access my cloud storage whether that be OneDrive or Google Drive (I believe it can access iCloud Drive as well). I even pin cloud folders for quick access.

BadMacRumours

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
I switch between the two just got rid of a 14 pro max and I am back to my S22 Ultra. I can say android is the better platform to use it much easier and has so many different options that iPhone doesn't.

As years go but android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times. But apple still has the most people using them over android. I am not bashing one over the other just stating my personal feeling about both platforms.
This is an extremely ignorant response lol. Sounds like someone who didn't use their iPhone to it's full potential.

In the last few years Apple has added:

* True Safari Extensions
* 3rd party default apps
* Extremely powerful automations with Shortcuts
* Homescreen widgets
* Lockscreen widgets
* Safari downloads
* Files app complete with file management and the ability to connect to servers
* Ability to sideload apps (yes, you heard me)
* Awesome features such as Voice Isolation when making calls
* Ability for apps to filter calls/texts natively

I could keep on going, but the statement "android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times" couldn't be any more wrong.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My sister is adamant sticking with Android due to the "file system" (and also the back button). She simply refuses to use iOS devices no matter what. :) So I'm not surprised.

Having said that, we can probably go through on what your intent/you're doing on Android with the "file system." I'm an Android (and Windows) user, so file system is nothing new to me, but I still find having to manually look for stuff inside folders to be frustrating. Being faced with such manual file system on the desktop OS (Windows or macOS), I actually don't want to be bothered with file system on my phone. Sure, there are conventional ways that might not be as straightforward in iOS (such as sending file to another app to open it), but usually I'm already in the respective apps. I believe that's the difference in workflow that dictates one's preference of a "file system."

I think it's simply two different approach and boils down to personal preference. Again, people with your assertion is not uncommon, like my sister. :D

Reactions: Shanghaichica

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
many alternatives to Facetime. Can video through whatsapp, FB messenger. I use google messages as my main messaging app and you can video call direct from there to anyone else who uses android. There is an icon in a person's contact information that you can video call directly as well. Very simple and seamless. No link or anything.

Reactions: gusmula and v0lume4

ghostinshell

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
while I like, open source and android as a concept. there are some major problems i just cant get over with.
i have 3 laptops, (MBP14arm, windows and linux) and i run VMs on all of them for different things and for different reasons.

my work and personal phones are both iphones, tho my tablet is android. but i tend to use my phones and laptops more then the tablet. I dont like, googles support it is one of the worst. while apples not the best they are way better and you could always go to a store if you had some major issue.

also, under the hood android kinda random. which i dont like and google has no vision its all just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. some **** is very cool and hardware wise some things are cool. but as a "system" its very poor.

on my phones, I have adgaurd and lockdown on android its one or the other AND you have to sideload it because
google doesnt like you to block ads. also, androids way less hygenic in many things. while apple is slower, the quality and hygenics tend to be better.

I would like to get an S23, but probably wont and I wont give up my work/personal iphones. also, applepay, and apple health are both way better. which matters for me.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Question...does the S23 Ultra have esim or do you have to use a physical SIM card? Also if you're exclusively using an S23 Ultra but you're away from your phone and are using an iPad will text messages from other Apple users still come over to your iPad? Or does your phone have to be an iPhone?
The S23 Ultra does support eSim (at least here in Germany). The answer to your second question is a clear no. There is no way that messages will get delivered to your other Apple devices if your phone is not an iPhone. There are third party solutions but do not work as well as with an iPhone. This is one of the main reasons I just don't want to stop using my iPhone. It's in the centre of the Apple universe.

The following article summarizes all available options well: https://nektony.com/how-to/view-android-messages-on-mac

Last edited:

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks! Which one do you prefer of the two?
I much prefer the iPhone, the s23 Ultra is an incredible and well built phone (honestly it's pretty insane on how much of the experience every manufacturer has taken from Apple and applied it to their own portfolio. The unboxing, the welcome process, even Samsung Care and customer support) I think for anyone who is on android and are looking for an upgrade, the s23 (along with pixel 7 pro and some other phones) would be more than enough. I still feel usability, and UI is a more thought through and better experience on Apple devices.

There are some things are I really enjoy on my s23 (or really any Google device) "Google Discover" is a much better news aggregator for me than Apple News (not that Apple News doesn't have its pro's as well).

Though I never use the S-Pen ( feel like its so small for me, plus I can take notes faster by typing and navigating with my fingers) I do appreciate that the design of the phone has it built right in! the overall device size is similar to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, yet they managed to include the pen for those who want it.

Also, while I don't mind the camera bump like some people, because at the end of the day id rather just have a better camera than a flush design, I still find it annoying that Apple hasn't designed something aesthetically better, the pixel 7 pro is ok, I still feel like the build quality is not as good as the iPhone or Samsung.

So many more things I could write or touch upon, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: Ultra AleM

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I used the S20 Ultra Note for a year. Love the phone and screen. In the end I just like the stability and integration of Apple. I can easily go from one device to the next seamlessly. I tried the Samsung watch etc. but just to clunky (for me).

I keep an eye on each new release so always open to trying it again. But for now the polish on IOS and integration is better IMO.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
This is an extremely ignorant response lol. Sounds like someone who didn't use their iPhone to it's full potential.

In the last few years Apple has added:

* True Safari Extensions
* 3rd party default apps
* Extremely powerful automations with Shortcuts
* Homescreen widgets
* Lockscreen widgets
* Safari downloads
* Files app complete with file management and the ability to connect to servers
* Ability to sideload apps (yes, you heard me)
* Awesome features such as Voice Isolation when making calls
* Ability for apps to filter calls/texts natively

I could keep on going, but the statement "android gets better and better as apple stays behind the times" couldn't be any more wrong.

To be fair I think your list explains exactly what @kstewart61 meant. The majority of things you listed have existed in Android for a while.

I think you'd be hard pressed to argue against @kstewart61 and say iOS has more options than Android!

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It seems having a discussion on the merits of operating systems devolves into a fan war. It is unfortunate.

iOS and Android are flip sides of the same coin and both are great for different reasons and neither is clearly superior to the other.

In the beginning Google copied Apple and now Apple is copying Google. Honestly it doesn't matter. What matters is that users get more features and options over time making both operating systems better.

What I don't understand is why people actually like the fact that Apple is being petty by not opening up more of their apps and services to be cross platform. Clearly Apple isn't the innovative leader it once was in the mobile space. And despite Apple's clearly anti-consumer antics and making their devices incompatible with Android hurts everyone including Apple users who have family and friends who use Android.

If you like iPhones that is great. I do too. But just because I bought something doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else. Buying things doesn't put you in some special club and you can be sure Tim Cook and Apple could care less about you as an individual beyond what they can profit from you financially. No corporations have your best interest at heart not care about you.

I find that using multiple platforms is fun. It also challenges your mind by changing how you use things and keeps you adaptive to change. If Windows mobile still existed you can be sure I would have a Windows phone and if Linux could ever make a decent phone OS and manufacturers would get behind it I would be using that too. Change is good and being open to trying different things is good.

I strongly encourage the OP to try an Android phone. If the jump in seems too deep then buy a cheap Android phone that is somewhat decent like a used or refurbished s21 and keep your iPhone. Or get a decent Android phone and keep your iPhone for a couple weeks until you feel comfortable and have made all the adjustments needed. Personally I like to have a primary and back up phone in case anything happens to my primary phone.

Don't get caught up in sides and labels everyone pushes out to make them feel better about their choices. An electronic device doesn't have anything to do with your self worth or reflects on who you are as a person. That is all marketing. Use what you want. Try new things and be defined by yourself.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The only way to know is to try an Android phone for yourself, everyone is different. Asking for advise on a forum is of little use as most people will have bias towards the phone THEY like. For every person who tries Android and goes straight back to Apple there are an equal amount of people who move to Android and never look back.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’m curious about people who use Dacetime frequently. I tried FaceTime in my 7 Plus, and although it gives the best quality compared to others like WhatsApp, it’s very sensitive to bandwidth fluctuations, and will overheat my iPhone very quickly. And the battery drain is also unacceptable for me. Thus I wonder who would use it.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I’m curious about people who use Dacetime frequently. I tried FaceTime in my 7 Plus, and although it gives the best quality compared to others like WhatsApp, it’s very sensitive to bandwidth fluctuations, and will overheat my iPhone very quickly. And the battery drain is also unacceptable for me. Thus I wonder who would use it.
That was a 2016 device...Barack Obama was sill in office! lol

Yes using an app that has video/audio/constant large bandwidth usage will drain battery fast and get the device warmer, however 6 plus years later the technologies have all improved the experience

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
What I don't understand is why people actually like the fact that Apple is being petty by not opening up more of their apps and services to be cross platform. Clearly Apple isn't the innovative leader it once was in the mobile space. And despite Apple's clearly anti-consumer antics and making their devices incompatible with Android hurts everyone including Apple users who have family and friends who use Android.

Agreed, that's such a strange view to hold. Those people much have something personally at stake there.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
The S23 Ultra does support eSim (at least here in Germany). The answer to your second question is a clear no. There is no way that messages will get delivered to your other Apple devices if your phone is not an iPhone. There are third party solutions but do not work as well as with an iPhone. This is one of the main reasons I just don't want to stop using my iPhone. It's in the centre of the Apple universe.

The following article summarizes all available options well: https://nektony.com/how-to/view-android-messages-on-mac
Actually while not a perfect solution you can use AirMessage and Blue Bubbles as long as your contacts send iMessage to your apple id email. I'm getting iMessages across all my Android devices, ipad, iphone 14 PM, and MacBook Air. Just requires you to have as a Mac to run as an AirMessage server.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Answer me this. There are plenty of places in the states where there is a good cellular connection but a poor or non existent data connection. In such places phone calls and SMS work but no data. This RCS that you speak of does it require data?
Yet on an iPhone, when "mobile data" is off, sms won't work.(my mom's experience on Rogers with an iPhone in Canada)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Actually while not a perfect solution you can use AirMessage and Blue Bubbles as long as your contacts send iMessage to your apple id email. I'm getting iMessages across all my Android devices, ipad, iphone 14 PM, and MacBook Air. Just requires you to have as a Mac to run as an AirMessage server.
I would like to automatically forward SMS messages from Android to macOS. I don't think that this is possible.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I would like to automatically forward SMS messages from Android to macOS. I don't think that this is possible.
Technically, it's possible. But only via web... whereas user needs to scan their Android phone through QR code.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yes, I know, but it would be much better if the SMS go into the Messages app.
Oh, I agree. The experience would be better if I could go into the Messages app... I'm just saying it's possible to send & reply SMS via macOS (through the web).

Begs to question... why won't Apple do this for iMessage? I'm starting to come to the realization... Apple might be forced to do so given it's such a popularized feature. At first, my stance was it would never happen since it doesn't benefit Apple.

Apple being forced to use USB-C on their devices along with having to open iDevices to 3rd party stores... I actually think iMessage could come via the web. At least, it would solve the issue of it not being cross platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.