Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I would say that it is complicated. As others have said it depends a lot on how invested you are in an ecosystem.

However I don't like being locked into something by a company that makes it purposely difficult to use alternative services. Google has many apps that work on iOS and Apple not only doesn't allow a lot of iOS native apps to work on Android they make iMessages as incompatible as possible.

Apple could literally make iMessages available for Android. They could make Facetime for Android but they don't because they want to lock their customers down. They make any transition from iOS to Android as difficult as possible.

In my opinion if you make the best phone then why not make it easy to switch to Android? People who would switch would naturally come back because you make a better product. If you make it difficult then it shoes a lack of confidence in your own products. Also if more people on Android were exposed to Facetime, and iMessages they might be interested to see how it works on an iphone and it would serve as free advertising.

All that being said for most apps on iOS there is a Android app equivalent or a workaround.

Once you have determined that despite the drawbacks of leaving the Apple ecosystem you still want to try Android then you can make honest comparisons.

Honestly Apple makes the most premium feeling phone and one of the best designs-period. No Android phone looks as nice when the total package is considered not just one aspect or component. A series processors are the fastest SOC in the phone space period. Apple OS support in terms of years is the best in the business.

BUT Apple purposely holds back on cutting edge components and features arbitrarily. Apple doesn't allow much customization of the UI. Apple charges a lot.

USB C on iPhone is taking forever. I have a few Apple products and they all use USB C but my newest 2022 iPhone has a lightning port? Why? Apple could put Always On Display on iPhone 13 Pro Max but doesn't. Why? Bluetooth standards, wifi standards are not latest gen. Why? Storage and ram are not the latest standard. Why? Cameras just got a 48mp sensor this year. Why?

Now most iPhone users could care less about any of what I mentioned in the paragraph above. If it works and is fast then who cares?

Screen tech? Not the very best.

So in the larger view Apple is great. The phones look incredible and have premium build and materials. But they charge a lot for their devices and most of what I said is for the Pro, Pro Max version of the iPhone. If you bought a regular iPhone 14 there is essentially nothing different about it from the 13. So if you were to upgrade you essentially paid for a title. Even with Samsung holding back it's best cameras and screen for the Ultra all three s23 get the same latest processor and all but the base model s23 get ufs 4.0 and faster ddr5 ram.

I don't understand how Apple can get away with using the a15 from last year in a new phone. One of the things I liked about iPhones were that every iPhone got the best, latest a series chip.

E Sim only. Why? It is not a benefit to the consumer in any way. Since these are expensive phones why not leave a sim tray in the phone?

Ultimately in terms of why you want to switch over from iPhone to Android and whether you should do so is completely up to the individual. Why not just out of curiosity? Why not because Android phones are more customizable, have had newer features first and because you have a lot more hardware choices? Why not because you just want to try something different?

After having been an Android user for years and getting tired of fragmentation with Android updates I switched to iPhone and I loved it although there were several things that bugged me in the UI and settings it was overall a great experience. Over time more Android features got added to iOS which was great. Then for the first time in a while after the iOS 16 update I was not happy using my iPhone. Still I was seriously considering upgrading my 13 Pro Max to a 14 Pro Max.

Ultimately the cost was too high and I had to stop using the 13 Pro Max because of a carrier switch and locked phone. So I decided even though I was deep in Apple ecosystem to switch to a Pixel. Was it perfectly easy? No. But was it as bad as I feared? Definitely not. I actually like the Pixel a lot more than the iPhone. I like the exclusive Pixel features. I like having a choice. I don't like being locked into any ecosystem and Google is a lot better and so is Samsung in that way. If you use a Samsung phone and a Samsung tablet and a windows computer then you can have the same experience as Apple but you have more features.

I still like iOS and iPhones but the myopic view that iPhones are superior and more private and secure is wrong. At this point no mobile OS is private and Google is just as secure. In terms of hardware I guess it boils down to appearance or substance, freedom or integration and more or less choice.

So if you make the switch it is not going to be just rainbows and unicorns. Android is not superior to iOS but both systems have their unique strengths and weaknesses. What you prefer comes down to personal preferences. But if you have been stuck just using one OS for a long time why not give something new a try just to see the difference. If anything it will make you appreciate the change or appreciate what you have missed all the more.
Why should apple let their IOS apps run on Android? iMessage I only want on apple devices.

• Wow
Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Why should apple let their IOS apps run on Android? iMessage I only want on apple devices.

Why do you want iMessage only on Apple devices? How does a choice for others affect you in any way?

Why shouldn't Apple let their apps run on Android? It only helps them show off what their software is capable of to people outside of the usual audience of users.

What difference does it make to you if people you may know that may happen to have an Android device and can communicate with you better? How is that a bad thing?

Also why do you personalize everything? My post wasn't addressed to you. Surely you can consider that your opinion is not the only one?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Why do you want iMessage only on Apple devices? How does a choice for others affect you in any way?

Why shouldn't Apple let their apps run on Android? It only helps them show off what their software is capable of to people outside of the usual audience of users.

What difference does it make to you if people you may know have an Android device and can communicate with you better? How is that a bad thing?

Also why do you personalize everything? My post wasn't addressed to you. Surely you can consider that your opinion is not the only one?
Apple made FaceTime to work with Android and Windows. Is that not enough? I don’t want iMessage on anything but apple!!!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Apple made FaceTime to work with Android and Windows. Is that not enough? I don’t want iMessage on anything but apple!!!

No it is not enough and the way it works now is severely handicapped?

Honestly I don't understand your perspective at all. It is kind of like trying to be elitist and exclusionary because you have something others don't and instead of wanting someone to be able to use something you have you don't want them to have access to it. All the while it hurts you none?

And again why does your opinion matter when you don't explain why you feel the way you do and can't articulate any reasons why it would be bad?

Why are you so angry? If you don't agree you don't have to respond and you didn't need to respond to my post that was addressed to the OP and had NOTHING to do with you or your opinion at all?

Why not ignore and move on?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
No it is not enough and the way it works now is severely handicapped?

Honestly I don't understand your perspective at all. It is kind of like trying to be elitist and exclusionary because you have something others don't and instead of wanting someone to be able to use something you have you don't want them to have access to it. All the while it hurts you none?

And again why does your opinion matter when you don't explain why you feel the way you do and can't articulate any reasons why it would be bad?

Why are you so angry?
I want people to buy apple devices for apple only features because I think apple is the best. At work I am forced to use Windows, Android and what not but at home it’s all apple!!!!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I want people to buy apple devices for apple only features because I think apple is the best. At work I am forced to use Windows, Android and what not but at home it’s all apple!!!!

Why? Why does it matter to you if it doesn't negatively affect you?

I am sorry you have to use things you don't like at work but a software like texting should be multi platform to help people communicate and make their lives easier and better. It should not be overly complicated and exclusionary.

I use multiple platforms including Linux and Chrome OS and I like all of the platforms I use including Windows. I certainly have my preference but I don't see any one of them as vastly superior to another. I understand their use case and limitations and adapt what I do.

No software is perfect because they are created by imperfect people.

Also why are you posting on a thread asking for advice to switch from Apple to Android when you clearly are not here to help or offer advice but simply bash anyone who doesn't share your narrow preferences for Apple?

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Can you explain to me what is funny about my posts? You simply react but don't explain yourself. Seems rather odd that you are trying to get a reaction out of me when I am asking honest questions and am not trying to insult you in the least. I guess trying to have an adult conversation is too much. Now I will move on. Good day or night sir.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
You can keep iMessage and facetime. All apple needs to do is adopt RCS, which is the modern messaging standard that even the carriers are behind. This wouldn't replace iMessage but it would replace the antiquated sms/mms standard and allow for a good messaging and media sharing experience across all platforms. Keep your blue bubbles and cute little iMessage games but apple is purposely screwing up the cross platform messaging experience to try to force people to move to or stay with iphone. We get you are a huge apple fan, but apple is the one responsible for the broken messaging experience between apple and Android users. Google has done everything they can to make things work cross platform for the good of all users, not just Android but Apple is dragging its feet.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Just like most MacRumors users who post this, you will come back within a couple of weeks wanting to come back to iPhone.
I left as an experiment in November 2017 to experience the Android side of things after 10 years of iPhones. I haven’t owned an iPhone since. Still use an enjoy my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro but as for the iPhone, I have no compelling reason to come back to it. Something as simple as not being able to keep a row of icons on the bottom of the screen with nothing else there is enough to be a dealbreaker for me. It’s a simple way to keep these massive phones usable with one hand.

But that’s just one random guys opinion…

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I wouldn't use Meta's services for practical reasons and because of principle. Their approach to privacy is disgusting.

They have violated privacy regulations so many times and have been fined for it continuously. Still they have paid and continued the same behavior. Because even with the fines, their privacy-infringing business model is profitable for them. They're just don’t care about your privacy. They spit on it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
You can keep iMessage and facetime. All apple needs to do is adopt RCS, which is the modern messaging standard that even the carriers are behind. This wouldn't replace iMessage but it would replace the antiquated sms/mms standard and allow for a good messaging and media sharing experience across all platforms. Keep your blue bubbles and cute little iMessage games but apple is purposely screwing up the cross platform messaging experience to try to force people to move to or stay with iphone. We get you are a huge apple fan, but apple is the one responsible for the broken messaging experience between apple and Android users. Google has done everything they can to make things work cross platform for the good of all users, not just Android but Apple is dragging its feet.
Answer me this. There are plenty of places in the states where there is a good cellular connection but a poor or non existent data connection. In such places phone calls and SMS work but no data. This RCS that you speak of does it require data?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hello, guys. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. It’s great but I tried the new Galaxy S23 Ultra and it made a very good impression to me. The S-Pen seems useful in some situations and I love the fact that Android supports a true multitasking. Apps don’t get killed when they’re not on screen. Every process (ie. uploading a file) stays active. I also like the fact that the product and accessories are cheaper (at least here in Europe). Or a true file system and USB-C full compatibility with every device. On the other hand, I fear I will miss MagSafe, AirDrop and other exclusive features of iPhone. I’m also afraid portrait mode, which I use a lot, works better on iPhone because of LiDAR and better camera processing. But I’m not sure. Did somebody do the same switch or have direct experience or both devices as daily drivers? Before transferring everything to Android or decide to stay on iOS, I think it’s useful to get some opinions. Thanks a lot!
First thing to think about, do you have other Apple devices? Apple Watch, Macs, iPads, etc? If the answer is yes, save your money and stick with the iPhone. It's not worth the hassle having one oddball device in your current ecosystem. Also consider if you have bought any apps or movies on the iTunes store. You will have to rebuy them on Android if you have to use them, and that's assuming they are available (some apps are platform exclusives).

If you don't have any other Apple devices and only use free multi-platform services and apps, then I can share several things about Android (particularly Samsung). Perspective, I have the Galaxy S21.

True multi-tasking: overhyped. Yes, some apps will remain in the background for uploading/downloading, better than iOS. Agree with this. But overall, Android will also put apps to sleep. Some apps that are coded poorly will still get refreshed everytime I get back to it. There's no consistency. You can force the system to keep particular apps in RAM if you want to, but generally that's not a good idea.

True file system: also overhyped. Current iOS have the Files app, and I can't see anything more a typical user would need. The Files app on iOS already allows manual file management and folder creations for the users. You can also access folders created by apps. On the Android land, it's actually more confusing as you often don't know where apps store their files. Many File Managers are smart enough to self categorize files into pictures, videos, etc, but in the end, I don't see myself wanting to do manual file management that much on my phone. It's a hassle. So I never understand why people are so particulat about this. The only instances when this is needed is if you are a tinkerer, constant sideloading and doing custom ROMs.

Airdrop: Android has its equivalent, which is called Nearby Share. It's only between Android devices though, but it's literally the same as Airdrop.

Portrait mode: I don't have an iPhone with Lidar, but seeing the plethora of Youtube comparisons, seems like that doesn't really significantly offer an advantage. Just look in youtube and see for yourself if you like the photos from the S23. My vote is both phones are great, it's a wash.

If you still want to switch, pay in particular attention to messaging apps. If you use iMessage, say bye bye to that. If you use Whatsapp, pay attention to transfer your chat history when you first setting up the Samsung (can't do it later). If you use iCloud, prepare a bit of manual work beforehand. Better start migrating your contacts to GMail. Your Photos library might need to be migrated as well (back up first).

Reactions: Ultra AleM

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
I love how this turned from genuine discourse on comparing two different devices and as soon as it went front page there was just a whole lot of nonsense added—did OP ever say what they were going to do?

Reactions: v0lume4

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Answer me this. There are plenty of places in the states where there is a good cellular connection but a poor or non existent data connection. In such places phone calls and SMS work but no data. This RCS that you speak of does it require data?
Yes, RCS require data in order to function properly. But the same process applies to iMessage, it requires data as well... I'm not sure what you are trying to imply?

I have no horse in the race, because I'll never abandon using the iPad which keeps me in the Apple ecosystem. Do I want RCS on iPhone? Absolutely! Do I want iMessage on Android? Yup! But do I envision those two things happening... nope! Because I don't see why Apple cares to put resources behind helping Android users... only way that happens if Google gives them money to do so (annually).

And according to the Fortnite trial, Apple execs been on record claiming adding iMessage on Android will potentially cause young iPhone users to jump ship.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Yes, RCS require data in order to function properly. But the same process applies to iMessage, it requires data as well... I'm not sure what you are trying to imply?

I have no horse in the race, because I'll never abandon using the iPad which keeps me in the Apple ecosystem. Do I want RCS on iPhone? Absolutely! Do I want iMessage on Android? Yup! But do I envision those two things happening... nope! Because I don't see why Apple cares to put resources behind helping Android users... only way that happens if Google gives them money to do so (annually).

And according to the Fortnite trial, Apple execs been on record claiming adding iMessage on Android will potentially cause young iPhone users to jump ship.
I see. Thanks..

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Question...does the S23 Ultra have esim or do you have to use a physical SIM card? Also if you're exclusively using an S23 Ultra but you're away from your phone and are using an iPad will text messages from other Apple users still come over to your iPad? Or does your phone have to be an iPhone?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had been using Samsung phones since 2013, and up until last year I was pretty happy with them. Then my Note 20 died out of the blue and it was only 18 months old. I also had 2 Galaxy watches die on me and both were less than a year old. I also had issues with a Samsung TV as well. This all turned me off to Samsung and I bought my first Iphone (13 Pro Max) last year.
Im not sure if I've just had bad luck or if there something going on at Samsung. Im at the point where I just want everything to work seamlessly and Iphone/Apple Watch do that. Android pushes "Meet" which is a hot mess when compared to Facetime, and while android does have some cool things it isn't worth losing the "just works" that Apple really does seem to have. Just my experience and 2 cents.
I honestly can’t keep up with all of google’s video calling apps. Is meet the replacement for duo? I thought meet was more enterprise focused and Duo was more for personal calls?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To each their own but I just don’t understand why someone would want to go to Android from ios. Androids don’t have FaceTime, ApplePay, airdrop, Face ID, sync with applewatch, sync with other apple devices such as MacBook Pro, among many other things… Hey I can even setup a new AppleTV with a iPhone and control a appleTV with a iPhone.
A lot of those things have an android alternative such as meet, I see it’s called these days. There is cast in place of airplay, Some android phones have their own Face ID solutions, others use in display FPS, Nearby share is androids version of airdrop. Samsung phones are well interegrated with windows computers these days and you can get similar features to what you get between the Mac and the iPhone. Android phones play nicely with Chromebooks and you get some of the same features. There’s a new remote app that lets you control the Chromecast/Android TV devices with the android app. Are the android equivalents as good? I can’t say as I’ve not used them all. However I think over the past few years I will say Samsung and Google have finally begun to get the ecosystem. It took them a long time but they understand now and are working on their own versions.

Reactions: h.gilbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.