Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
What about just neon green? Would complement the colors of my vpn app.

Attachments

• green.png
    green.png
    383.5 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey @pvalerio I just saw your updated icons, and I like the SwizzAI better than the robot. Now you just have to update the first screenshot on the AppStore, if you want consistency.

As for the SwizzVPN icon, it is nice and functional, but I also liked the previous one. Anyways, hope people will enjoy the changes.

I’ve waited until this update for downloading the app with the new icon, and I’m going to try it now. I wanted to ask you a couple of things via DM if you don’t mind.

By the way, the images are generated using Dall-E 2 or Stable Diffusion? I’d like to know the truth because on the AppStore description it says Dall-E 2 but I found something that points towards Stable Diffusion…

Last edited:
Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
@Populus Wow you‘re fast :)

Thanks, I‘m still not 100% happy with it, but for now it‘s ok. Yeah have to do completely new screenshots…

Sure just ask. I‘m using only OpenAI API, so Dall-E 2. I heard of stable diffusion but don‘t know what it is. Is it a knock off? Cheaper? Better?

BTW for all users: Make sure to update to the latest version, had to change API key.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Stable Diffusion is an alternative to OpenAI’s Dall-E, just like MidJourney. It is cheaper (or even free if you use your own computer to generate the images), but the worst of all three.

I thought you were using Stable Diffusion because your app here mentioned a lot on that subreddit, and only that subreddit. Like here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StableDiffusion/comments/15eue5v
However: I’m very sorry to say this, but I don’t think I’m subscribing for now. At first I got pretty surprised by the price of GPT-4 model on this app, as most devs are charging 24€ per month and the OpenAI official App charges 23€ for GPT-4 access… even devs like the one from Petey charge a similar amount, so at just 7€ per month I was a bit skeptical, but also excited at the same time.

Because I knew I had only 5 messages to try the app, the first model I activated was the GPT-4 one. The icon then turns green. And after asking a random question, I asked the AI about the version it is using. This was the outcome (from my iPad):

2B887D9F-6D93-406A-BF93-BB697F99CF0C.png

After asking “I thought you were GPT-4, the app crashed, and it did count my input for the 5 free trial inputs, but I never got an answer. Then asked again, and it confirmed it’s using GPT-3.

Then, I wanted to try the actual GPT-3.5 model (blue icon), but the app crashed again and never got a reply. Because this second failed message did count towards the 5 free messages to try the app, I couldn’t get more replies to keep testing it. But it’s a bit disappointing that the app crashed on 2 out of 5 inputs, leaving me with only 60% of the questions answered.

In contrast, I made the same exact question to GPT-4 on popular app Poe, and this was the response:

D3581DC5-C53B-43AC-97F0-4228FDA7221C.png

22F79A41-1510-4CA8-9FEC-71E8C495731A.png

I’m not sure what’s happening here, and I don’t want to make any accusation because maybe I’m missing something, but I just don’t understand that the AI that supposedly is GPT-4 is confessing it’s actually GPT-3, and you’re marketing it as GPT-4.

I’m sorry, because I wanted to help an indie dev like you, and I was decided to get the subscription. But all of this made me not trust on your app. As I told you on the previous page, I’m a pretty suspicious person 🫤

EDIT: I subscribed, for science, because maybe the 5 free messages didn’t have access to GPT-4 model. I really wanted that to be the case, but unfortunately, the marketed GPT-4 model is still using GPT-3. If this is true, intended, and not an error or bug, well, then it is a scam (sorry again).

F6B09111-0CFD-4EE9-AF55-A8A4EE3C48A5.png

PS: I should go and plug my iPad now, it is dying.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Thanks for your tests.

1. Reddit Stable Diffusion screenshot. WTF? I don‘t have anything to do with that, don‘t know where that comes from… And why it‘s there?

2. Price: This was my initial price for GPT-3.5 and I just added Dall-E 2 and GPT-4 access to it, without changing prices. But if it‘s so cheap that it‘s suspicious, I‘ll raise the prices :)

3. That‘s unfortunate about the crashes. Did the actual app crash or did it run into timeout? I set it default at 15 seconds, maybe it‘s too low, it can be changed in the settings. But I‘ll raise the default. About the free usage count that is clearly a bug, will fix that. BTW, if you reinstall the app, the free counter starts again at 5.

4. I actually asked the same question about GPT-4 and got the same answer, but I made sure it‘s using GPT-4. I don‘t know why it‘s happening, have to look into it. It‘s clearly using GPT-4 though, as it‘s much slower and the answers much richer/„thoughtfuller“. This must be your requests:

Attachments

• IMG_1587.png
    IMG_1587.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, I have three days of free trial of Premium. I will use it more but I’m not convinced this is GPT-4. I will test it more, but the model language itself is saying it is based on GPT-3, here’s another screenshot:

BB0EFD06-BC3D-42CD-B69E-64E9F27B8B19.png

As for the crashes, they are on an M2 iPad Pro, with iPadOS 16. Each red cross is a crash.
At first I thought it only crashed after changing the language model, but then I discarded that, because even staying at the ”green” model all the time, it crashed every other question. No, it didn’t keep thinking, it outright crashed.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Don‘t worry, I‘ll look into it. I also must write on that reddit thread, because it‘s ******** what they write. My images are also generated in 1024x1024, if you export them you can check it yourself.
This are your actual requests according OpenAI platform, forgot about Spain timezone. As you see, it charged me even though it ran into timeout. So always difficult for a dev to decide what to do in that cases.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.png
    IMG_1588.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 40

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Okay, I have three days of free trial of Premium. I will use it more but I’m not convinced this is GPT-4. I will test it more, but the model language itself is saying it is based on GPT-3, here’s another screenshot:

View attachment 2240713

As for the crashes, they are on an M2 iPad Pro, with iPadOS 16. Each red cross is a crash.
At first I thought it only crashed after changing the language model, but then I discarded that, because even staying at the ”green” model all the time, it crashed every other question. No, it didn’t keep thinking, it outright crashed.
Would be nice if you could take a screen capture/video of the crash, as I‘m not sure yet if I understood that correctly. I never had the app crash in all my tests, but it does occasionally run into timeout here (maybe every 50th request).

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Would be nice if you could take a screen capture/video of the crash, as I‘m not sure yet if I understood that correctly. I never had the app crash in all my tests, but it does occasionally run into timeout here (maybe every 50th request).
Of course, I will screen record them and upload them here, no worries!

Edit: the screen recording:

Each time it crashes, and I re-open the app, it stays loading like forever, until I have to manually cancel the request after some minutes. And yes, every red cross you see represents a crash and each time I had to cancel the request because otherwise it stays in loading forever.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Very interesting, especially that it keeps somehow loading/active in the background, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel the request. Hmm... doesn't make any sense from a programming perspective :) That'll be hard to debug, hope I find the problem.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Very interesting, especially that it keeps somehow loading/active in the background, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel the request. Hmm... doesn't make any sense from a programming perspective :) That'll be hard to debug, hope I find the problem.
Good luck.

EDIT: After -accidentally- deleting all the messages, and restarting the app, so far I am not having app crashes, even changing between language models. That seemed to fix it.

EDIT 2: The day after keeps crashing every other request. Again, deleting all messages fixes it, but I find it a bit cumbersome to do this to correct the app crashes.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Just to demonstrate how it should be, iPhone 13 Mini.

EDIT: Thanks for your follow up, I was on the right track, has something to do how messages are saved. Did you install 2.0.4 fresh or was it an update from a previous version?

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I just subscribed to ChatGPT Plus to test GPT-4 there, and indeed it answers that it's using GPT-4. Even if I hardcode the GPT-4 model in the request of my app, it answers me with GPT-3/GPT-3.5, though slower. But it's charging me with a GPT-4 API request from OpenAI. I don't understand it, will need to contact OpenAI support.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I just subscribed to ChatGPT Plus to test GPT-4 there, and indeed it answers that it's using GPT-4. Even if I hardcode the GPT-4 model in the request of my app, it answers me with GPT-3/GPT-3.5, though slower. But it's charging me with a GPT-4 API request from OpenAI. I don't understand it, will need to contact OpenAI support.
Great, I was about to subscribe to a month of official OpenAI’s GPT-Plus to demonstrate you that the replies your “green” model is giving you, aren’t actually GPT-4, but I’m glad you can compare them yourself.

If you find out what’s happening, let us know, but I’ll probably cancel my subscription to your app before it charges me.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
It's up to you. Just to clarify, I can see that it's clearly using GPT-4 model (gpt-4-0613 as of now, as stated in my app logs and OpenAI portal), just the prompt answers wrong.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Mystery solved: https://community.openai.com/t/api-model-set-to-gpt-4-but-seems-to-respond-as-gpt-3/104757

This is normal behavior. The GPT model doesn‘t know which version it is, it just answers with the data it was trained, and as of Sept. 2021 there wasn‘t any GPT-4. So I have to tell it that it is GPT-4.

EDIT: I got it to respond correctly now. Thanks for bringing this up, now I can call it GPT-5 😂.

EDIT2: I won‘t implement this change. I want to have a direct and unfiltered access to the OpenAI API, and this is exactly what my app does. If one doesn‘t believe it, take another app.

EDIT3: I also couldn't reproduce any app crashes or similar on several devices.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
In the meantime I received a crash log and found out what was causing the crash, will be fixed in the next version.

EDIT: And another bug found which caused to timeout right away...

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Hi. Unfortunately the app still has API problems. This is due to some unrecognized accesses to the API which I'm trying to secure down. I'm fixing it as fast as I can, sorry for the inconveniences!

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Updates are online now. Hopefully I fixed it, including a way to fool the hackers :). Let's see if this is enough.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Quick note: If you still have problems with the app, just install the app update.

Why? Seems like the hackers didn't just want the API key, they also tried to access it through my newly created API relay server. So I just had to secure it more down, which required a new update of the app (already online since about a week). Now they can try whatever they want :)

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Starting with the next version, you are able to set your own API key if you wish.

Reactions: Populus

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Hi,

I wanted to try your app using the free 5 messages. I wanted to ask it to generate an image, but I just got a message back saying "I'm sorry but I'm unable to generate images. However I can describe the scene for you:".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.