Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Very Good, But I did not understand anything....

Why do I have to run the terminal command?

Code:
chmod 755 die_catalina_die

The chmod command tells the OS that you want to give the shell script file permissions so that it can be executed. The below link gives more information on file permissions if you are interested. By the way, if you are not aware of this, macOS is based on UNIX and that is what the link refers to when it explains file permissions.

How the terminal command would know the location of the .txt file?
I prefer using the extension ".sh" to make it clear it is a shell script

So the code above will be the same??

Thanks
Camelia

You can put whatever extension you want on the file, personally I prefer use the .sh extension. Here is how I would suggest the easiest way to do the chmod command:
  1. When you create the die_catalina_die.sh in TextEdit make sure you do TextEdit->Format->Make Plain Text.
  2. Once you have created and saved the die_catalina_die.sh file, open a Finder window to the location where you saved the file.
  3. Open the Terminal app.
  4. in the Terminal window, enter: chmod 755
  5. Put a space after chmod 755.
  6. From the Finder window you opened in step 2, drag from the Finder window die_catalina_die.sh to the Terminal window.
  7. Press the enter key.
When you want to execute the shell script all you have to do is open a Finder window to the location where the shell script file die_catalina_die.sh is stored and double-click on it with the mouse.

• Love
Reactions: camelia

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Quick question: does installing this security update from May only affect System Preferences and its notification badges, or do I then start getting the Notification Center notifications that I need to update again? Because those are the worst part, I can live with System Preferences not being in my Dock.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The most annoying part is that the badge comes back every other day now, even I did not open the Software Update...
Apple can keep the cancerous Catalina...The more annoying it gets, the less likely I will touch it.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
The chmod command tells the OS that you want to give the shell script file permissions so that it can be executed. The below link gives more information on file permissions if you are interested. By the way, if you are not aware of this, macOS is based on UNIX and that is what the link refers to when it explains file permissions.

You can put whatever extension you want on the file, personally I prefer use the .sh extension. Here is how I would suggest the easiest way to do the chmod command:
  1. When you create the die_catalina_die.sh in TextEdit make sure you do TextEdit->Format->Make Plain Text.
  2. Once you have created and saved the die_catalina_die.sh file, open a Finder window to the location where you saved the file.
  3. Open the Terminal app.
  5. Put a space after chmod 755.
  6. From the Finder window you opened in step 2, drag from the Finder window die_catalina_die.sh to the Terminal window.
  7. Press the enter key.
When you want to execute the shell script all you have to do is open a Finder window to the location where the shell script file die_catalina_die.sh is stored and double-click on it with the mouse.

Hello, Something I am doing wrong but I don't know what it is

01Code.jpg

2. Once you have created and saved the die_catalina_die.sh file, open a Finder window to the location where you saved the file.​
3. Open the Terminal app.​
5. Put a space after chmod 755.​
6. From the Finder window you opened in step 2, drag from the Finder window die_catalina_die.sh to the Terminal window.​

02Code.png

7. Press the enter key.​

Nothing Happens!! ???

And If I type in terminal the code, the update badge is there!!!!

03Code.png

Thanks
Came

PS: I would like to know how a shell script works any other easy example?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The badge is getting quite aggressive now.
It is showing up every day.
Perhaps it is time to remove system preference from the dock.

I recently had the exact opposite experience: After I installed Safari 14 through the Software Update on my Late 2008 MacBook, it showed me that there is a Catalina update available as well but then it went away without any interventions on my part. I am assuming that's because Big Sur is on its way already so there is no point to push Catalina.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
The badge is getting quite aggressive now.
It is showing up every day.
Perhaps it is time to remove system preference from the dock.
Keep the dock small so you will almost not see the badge
tinybadge.jpg
I do not mind having it because this way I know if I have other updates
But if I open Software update I get a clean window ?
NoCatalina.jpg

Reactions: B4U

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I recently had the exact opposite experience: After I installed Safari 14 through the Software Update on my Late 2008 MacBook, it showed me that there is a Catalina update available as well but then it went away without any interventions on my part. I am assuming that's because Big Sur is on its way already so there is no point to push Catalina.
Or maybe they realized Catalina was a big mistake?! LOL

• Haha

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
I have done it again since a few days ago and it works (I have macOS Mojave though).

1) QUIT System Preferences

2) in terminal run:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

3) in terminal run:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list

• Love
Reactions: camelia and B4U

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I have done it again since a few days ago and it works (I have macOS Mojave though).

2) in terminal run:

3) in terminal run:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list

I believe you actually don't need step 2), it will work without it.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I believe you actually don't need step 2), it will work without it.
I agree, because step 2 in terminal gives you
"Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS."

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

2) in terminal run:

3) in terminal run:

4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list

Didn't try this yet because I'm using another way to stop it and still it works I'm good with it
but I will keep this in mind. Thanks

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

2) in terminal run:

3) in terminal run:

4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list
This method worked like magic.
The badge has not shown up again until yesterday for Security Update 2020-005 10.14.6, which is expected.
Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
This method worked like magic.
The badge has not shown up again until yesterday for Security Update 2020-005 10.14.6
Thank you!
Good! Have you tried after the Security Update 2020-005 , if you updated of course,
to see if it didn’t break software update showing Catalina again when you check?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
The red badge for Cancerlina came right back if I check.
? Just the annoying badge or Cancerlina notification as well?
In case it’s because we need to substitute the Software update framework again

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
? Just the annoying badge or Cancerlina notification as well?
In case it’s because we need to substitute the Software update framework again
So far, only when I go to System Preference to check Software Updates, Cancerlina is back along with the red badge.
It has only been 1 day, so I am not sure what will happen if I don't disturb the hornets' nest.

• Wow
Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
So far, only when I go to System Preference to check Software Updates, Cancerlina is back along with the red badge.
It has only been 1 day, so I am not sure what will happen if I don't disturb the hornets' nest.
Thanks for reporting it
We need to remove and go back to the safer framework, lot of work too :rolleyes:

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
  • Wow

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello, this walk-through works before the Security supplemental update, So I have to repeat it?

Or is not working anymore?

2) in terminal run:

3) in terminal run:

4) in terminal run:

softwareupdate --list
Thanks for reporting it
We need to remove and go back to the safer framework, lot of work too :rolleyes:

What do you mean with "We need to remove and go back to the safer framework, lot of work too"?

Thanks
Camelia

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Or is not working anymore?
What do you mean with "We need to remove and go back to the safer framework, lot of work too"?

If you have done only the supplemental update you are good to go.
I was referring when you apply the Security Update 2020-005, then you need to substitute the new Software update framework with the old one that you kept from Security Update 2020-002 as suggested here #18,496

Last edited:
  • Love

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
If you have done only the supplemental update you are good to go.
I was referring when you apply the Security Update 2020-005, then you need to substitute the new Software update framework with the old one that you kept from Security Update 2020-002 as suggested here #18,496

Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.