Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
See Post #137 above!
How self-reliant, can't even read one page....(OK rant over)
If you get angry that easily, you are going to have a hard time indeed in this world.
Enough said that is OT. The app referenced (Software Update Red Badge Remover) works for me on a Ventura system that was nagging about updating to Sonoma. Did you actually try it? If it didn't work, that must be hardware or OS related. Hard to know why it didn't work for you.

Last edited:

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Apple killed Configurator connection with Mojave on my Intel iMac and had to downgrade to Monterey and lose the dashboard in the process.
Damn, the badge is bloody aggressive! Comes right back within seconds after removal.
It just won't go away!

Might as well take the System Preference off the dock. 😩
This is why I do hate Apple sometimes.

Reactions: Queen6 and katbel

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Apple killed Configurator connection with Mojave on my Intel iMac and had to downgrade to Monterey and lose the dashboard in the process.
Damn, the badge is bloody aggressive! Comes right back within seconds after removal.
It just won't go away!

Do a search on the forums, the "Software Update Red Badge Remover" app works for me on my iMac 15,1. Apparently, some people say it doesn't work on their hardware, so YMMV.
Granted, the Apple macOS (all versions) is too aggressive sometimes. The two-factor confirmation pop up is another example. Click on the Later button and it gets in your face again 2 seconds later (and stops everything) until you click on it again. ummm..

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and B4U

Queen6

macrumors G4
It just won't go away!

Think Apple has a different understanding of ownership than those who actually pay. As I dont live in Preferences I just remove it from the Dock, it can be red until Kingdome Comes for all I care LOL.

Q-6

Reactions: B4U

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hi all,
I created an application with Applescript that executes the following 9 commands (that make the red badge disappear after an update search):
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist RecommendedUpdates
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastUpdatesAvailable
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate ProductKeysLastSeenByUser
sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
usr/libexec/PlistBuddy ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist -c 'Set:AttentionPrefBundleIDs:com.apple.FollowUpSettings.FollowUpSettingsExtension 0
killall Dock

So no need to open Terminal and execute .sh script, nor to copy/paste the command lines one by one.

I tested, this application works very well in Mojave but also in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura so I think it should work in Catalina too.

View attachment 1884344
The first time you run the program, you may get the following error message: Impossible to open "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" because this app comes from an unidentified developer
Or this one: "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" is damaged and cannot be opened. You should place this item in the Recycle Bin.
This is because an attribute is added so that it can ask the user for confirmation the first time the downloaded program is run, to help stop malware. After confirmation, the attribute should be removed automatically, and then the program will run normally.
But if the program does not run, just remove this attribute (once and for all) with the following procedure if you have already unzipped the zip archive: (but it's best to run the following command with the zip archive before unzipping it):
  1. Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app)
  2. Write or Copy/Paste (in Terminal) the following line
Code:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine
  1. Type a space
  2. Drag and drop "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" next to it, from the Finder
Now the program will run normally.

Edited and updated on September 27, 2023

I couldn't do it, anyone could help?

heraldo_jones

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
Hi all,
I created an application with Applescript that executes the following 9 commands (that make the red badge disappear after an update search):
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist RecommendedUpdates
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastUpdatesAvailable
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate ProductKeysLastSeenByUser
sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
usr/libexec/PlistBuddy ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist -c 'Set:AttentionPrefBundleIDs:com.apple.FollowUpSettings.FollowUpSettingsExtension 0
killall Dock

So no need to open Terminal and execute .sh script, nor to copy/paste the command lines one by one.

I tested, this application works very well in Mojave but also in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura so I think it should work in Catalina too.

View attachment 1884344
The first time you run the program, you may get the following error message: Impossible to open "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" because this app comes from an unidentified developer
Or this one: "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" is damaged and cannot be opened. You should place this item in the Recycle Bin.
This is because an attribute is added so that it can ask the user for confirmation the first time the downloaded program is run, to help stop malware. After confirmation, the attribute should be removed automatically, and then the program will run normally.
But if the program does not run, just remove this attribute (once and for all) with the following procedure if you have already unzipped the zip archive: (but it's best to run the following command with the zip archive before unzipping it):
  1. Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app)
  2. Write or Copy/Paste (in Terminal) the following line
Code:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine
  1. Type a space
  2. Drag and drop "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" next to it, from the Finder
Now the program will run normally.

Edited and updated on September 27, 2023
Hello, did this, rebooted, it disappeared but as soon as I opened System Preferences it came back again (Mac Mini M2 Ventura 13.6). Maybe there is something new needed

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hello, did this, rebooted, it disappeared but as soon as I opened System Preferences it came back again (Mac Mini M2 Ventura 13.6). Maybe there is something new needed
hi @heraldo_jones

No, sorry, there's nothing new to do. The red badge is not permanently removed, so it's normal for the red badge to come back each time you launch an update search via the system preferences.

Personally, I rarely switch off (or reboot) my machine so that the red badge doesn't come back too often. I usually prefer to put it to sleep.

In macOS Ventura, after using my tool (or running command lines) the red badge on the system preferences icon on the dock disappeared but it remains present when you open the system preferences and then disappears by itself after a sleep of several hours.

heraldo_jones

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
hi @heraldo_jones

No, sorry, there's nothing new to do. The red badge is not permanently removed, so it's normal for the red badge to come back each time you launch an update search via the system preferences.

Personally, I rarely switch off (or reboot) my machine so that the red badge doesn't come back too often. I usually prefer to put it to sleep.

In macOS Ventura, after using my tool (or running command lines) the red badge on the system preferences icon on the dock disappeared but it remains present when you open the system preferences and then disappears by itself after a sleep of several hours.
Ah, ok, cool to know. Thanks!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You can turn off search for updates and delete the notification.
Change Software Update settings on Mac
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mchla7037245/13.0/mac/13.0
or
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist AutomaticCheckEnabled -bool NO
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist AutomaticDownload -bool NO
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist AutomaticallyInstallMacOSUpdates -bool NO

and
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock

Related and new information "How to Stop “Upgrade to MacOS Sonoma” Notifications on Macs" https://osxdaily.com/2024/02/13/how-to-stop-upgrade-to-macos-sonoma-notifications-mac/

• Love
Reactions: camelia and B4U

zacharyz

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
after getting "app is broken, please put in trash"
i tried your other code "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine"
in terminal with the space, and then dragging in the app.
and now i get "permission denied" in terminal. anyone else get this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.