Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I have done it again since a few days ago and it works (I have macOS Mojave though).

1) QUIT System Preferences

2) in terminal run:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

3) in terminal run:

defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

4) in terminal run:

softwareupdate --list

If you have done only the supplemental update you are good to go.

I was referring when you apply the Security Update 2020-005, then you need to substitute the new Software update framework with the old one that you kept from Security Update 2020-002 as suggested here #18,496

But @nkarafo solutions still works after Security Update 2020-005, why do you still need to substitute the new Software update framework with the old one that you kept from Security Update 2020-002?

Thanks
Camelia

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
But @nkarafo solutions still works after Security Update 2020-005, why do you still need to substitute the new Software update framework with the old one that you kept from Security Update 2020-002?

Thanks
Camelia
If it works it is a good news, I didn't have time to install it yet.

Update:
I just updated Security Update 2020-005 thinking it was easy, but Catalina showed up in Software update again.
I had to change the framework as I said previously, and it works again: no Catalina on the horizon .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
If it works it is a good news, I didn't have time to install it yet.

Update:
I just updated Security Update 2020-005 thinking it was easy, but Catalina showed up in Software update again.
I had to change the framework as I said previously, and it works again: no Catalina at the horizon .

Then I do not know, in my macos Mojave installations the @katbel solution is still, working, I will continue using this MBP but if Catalina showed up in Software update again. I will try the framework thing, just for fun, TBH the Catalina Notification doesn't bother me

Camelia

borp99

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2020
In case anyone is more recently searching the internet, as to how to get rid of the red update badge in Big Sur (especially for those of us stuck on 11.2.3 - because, until a solution is found, certain Mac models [such as my Mac Pro 5,1] currently can't install or regularly or reliably boot 11.3.x, 11.4.x or 11.5beta without KPs, stalls or other significant problems, because of apparent 'race conditions' addressing PCIe slots during the boot process), then please read on...

The 'defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock' method is only temporary in Big Sur. It hides the red update badge after the Terminal command, but the distracting badge reappears again after a reboot.

For me, the best solution was to find the location of the red circular badge files and alter or replace them with transparent versions. See the screen shots below for the results on my computer.

The two file locations are as follows (in each case, replace 'BigSurSystemVolume' with the name of your system volume):

(1) to remove the System Preferences Dock red circular badge, leaving just the inconspicuous '1' behind (which I can happily live with until I 'can' update past 11.2.3), alter this file: '/BigSurSystemVolume/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/statuslabel.png'. Make a copy of the original file and open it with a graphics editing app. Simply delete the red circle, leaving just the transparent alpha layer. Save the file somewhere and replace the original one by either dragging it into the Resources folder (needs to be done while booting into 10.12, 10.13 or 10.14) or using 'mv' with the Terminal from Big Sur recovery (you can't replace a Big Sur system volume file when booting normally into that OS - you'll get the infamous 'prohibited circle').

(2) to remove the System Preferences Software Update red circular badge, leaving just the '1' behind, alter this file: '/BigSurSystemVolume/System/Applications/System Preferences/Contents/Resources/Assets.car'. The original Assets.car file has 2 red badge icons contained inside. Use ThemeEngine.app* to open the file. Drag the 2 icons to the desktop and edit them with a graphics app. Again, simply delete the red circles, leaving just the transparent alpha layer. Save the dragged-out files and drag them back over the top of the 2 original icons inside the open Assets.car file. Note - one icon is for regular (non-retina) displays and the other, the '2x' one, is for retina displays. Save the Assets.car file and either drag it over the original one (from 10.12, 10.13 or 10.14) or using 'mv' from Big Sur recovery.

If using the 'mv' move command, there should be no need to apply a new BS snapshot or rebuild the kext collection on the Preboot volume. You are only replacing internal app files, not root-level system files.

*ThemeEngine is available for download from various sites:
The original version works up to/incl. 10.14 - https://github.com/alexzielenski/ThemeEngine/releases/tag/1.0.0(111)
A version for 10.15 (compiled by Allan Nyholm) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/911ao8l1g480c7a/ThemeEngine 2 for 10.15.zip?dl=0
A recent port by Jeremy Legendre for 11.0.1 upwards - https://github.com/jslegendre/ThemeEngine

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 12.25.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 12.26.23 AM.png

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
In case anyone is more recently searching the internet, as to how to get rid of the red update badge in Big Sur (especially for those of us stuck on 11.2.3 - because, until a solution is found, certain Mac models [such as my Mac Pro 5,1] currently can't install or regularly or reliably boot 11.3.x, 11.4.x or 11.5beta without KPs, stalls or other significant problems, because of apparent 'race conditions' addressing PCIe slots during the boot process), then please read on...

The 'defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock' method is only temporary in Big Sur. It hides the red update badge after the Terminal command, but the distracting badge reappears again after a reboot.
Or, you could put that into a AppleScript that runs at start-up. Easy enough.

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0"

That works for me with Mojave. It might be different with Big Sur and you might have to change the instruction to what you suggest.

Or, you could probably even put into a plist that runs at start-up. The AppleScript is way easier.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Or, you could put that into a AppleScript that runs at start-up. Easy enough.

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0"

That works for me with Mojave. It might be different with Big Sur and you might have to change the instruction to what you suggest.

Or, you could probably even put into a plist that runs at start-up. The AppleScript is way easier.
Shouldn't this be enough? The "Red Badge Killer" terminal commands:
1. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
--- or sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"
2. defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
3. softwareupdate --list or softwareupdate -l
To check to see that it works, which asks the software updater to check for updates:
For me, the badge disappeared immediately after step 3 above

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Shouldn't this be enough? The "Red Badge Killer" terminal commands:
1. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
--- or sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"
2. defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
3. softwareupdate --list or softwareupdate -l
To check to see that it works, which asks the software updater to check for updates:
For me, the badge disappeared immediately after step 3 above
Dunno.

borp99 reported that he didn't have good results because the reminder popped up after a reboot. My suggestion was to use an AppleScript that ran at every startup so that the suitable commands don't have to be typed into Terminal.

So, you'd have to ask borp99.

Personally, the Red Badge reappears every time I run Silent Knight to check for updates. So, I use the AppleScript with the command I suggested in my post to clear it. Way less typing...

FWIW, sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur" has no effect on my system. I still need to use the AppleScript.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Using this scripts to Disable Automatic Software Updates will work?

Install the two required profiles available in this folder to:
1. Disable automatic software updates.
2. Prevent Standard users from performing software updates.

I don't have any idea in which folder I have to install them, or How to install them

DF.png

Deep Freeze must be disabled prior to performing an update of macOS to ensure the integrity of the computer.

From Big Sur onwards, Deep Freeze can no longer install the configuration profiles to disable automatic software updates or prevent Standard users from performing software updates.

You can install these profiles using the following methods:
1. Manually on computer
2. Apple Remote Desktop
3. Mobile Device Management

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

I don't have any idea in which folder I have to install them, or How to install them
They are not scripts, but configuration profiles https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mh35561/10.14/mac/10.14
To install, you just have to double click them from the "Required for Big Sur Onwards" folder inside the "For macOS 10.13.5 - 11" folder on the Deep Freeze dmg.
However, Disable Auto Update.mobileconfig it's just like disabling Check for updates and the rest in Software Update.
Disable Automatic Software Update Installs.jpg

Disable Notification.mobileconfig it's acctualy an App Store setting
Disable Notification.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: camelia and B4U

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I am getting ready to migrate to new iMac from Mojave 10.14.6, I still have the red flag to update to Catalina on my 'System Preferences'. Should I do anything or will this disappear when I migrate?

I am going use CC cloning to transfer old data to new Backup SSD, then migrate from that.

Note: my iMac will not permit upgrade to Catalina, I am stuck with notification.

Update: Migration went smoothly, all is well.

Last edited:

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada

View attachment 1786817
Maybe I missed it in this thread but is it this software? https://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/mac

Thanks,

Patrice

**Edit: found the answer myself finally. It’s the Deep Freeze application from Faronics: https://www.faronics.com/assets/DFM_70_Manual-1.pdf

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hi all,
I created an application with Applescript that executes the following 9 commands (that make the red badge disappear after an update search):
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist RecommendedUpdates
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastUpdatesAvailable
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate ProductKeysLastSeenByUser
sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
usr/libexec/PlistBuddy ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist -c 'Set:AttentionPrefBundleIDs:com.apple.FollowUpSettings.FollowUpSettingsExtension 0
killall Dock

So no need to open Terminal and execute .sh script, nor to copy/paste the command lines one by one.

I tested, this application works very well in Mojave but also in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura so I think it should work in Catalina too.

Capture d’écran 2021-10-30 à 20.26.45.png

The first time you run the program, you may get the following error message: Impossible to open "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" because this app comes from an unidentified developer
Or this one: "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" is damaged and cannot be opened. You should place this item in the Recycle Bin.
This is because an attribute is added so that it can ask the user for confirmation the first time the downloaded program is run, to help stop malware. After confirmation, the attribute should be removed automatically, and then the program will run normally.
But if the program does not run, just remove this attribute (once and for all) with the following procedure if you have already unzipped the zip archive: (but it's best to run the following command with the zip archive before unzipping it):
  1. Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app)
  2. Write or Copy/Paste (in Terminal) the following line
Code:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine
  1. Type a space
  2. Drag and drop "Software Update Red Badge Remover.app" next to it, from the Finder
Now the program will run normally.

Edited and updated on September 27, 2023

Attachments

• Software Update Red Badge Remover.app.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 655
Last edited:

amok-san

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Here we go again...

On Ventura 13.6 wanting to ignore the Sonoma update.

Sadly, above commands don't work anymore....

Edit: Sorry, just realized this might be the wrong forum

Last edited:

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Here we go again...

On Ventura 13.6 wanting to ignore the Sonoma update.

Sadly, above commands don't work anymore....

Edit: Sorry, just realized this might be the wrong forum
Hi @amok-san

Indeed for macOSVentura the old commands did not work anymore which is why I modified my application (and my post) by adding new commands while keeping the old ones, so the application works as well with the old macOS like Mojave, Catalina, BigSur and Monterey but now also works with Ventura for those who don’t want to upgrade to Sonoma...

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hi @amok-san

Indeed for macOSVentura the old commands did not work anymore which is why I modified my application (and my post) by adding new commands while keeping the old ones, so the application works as well with the old macOS like Mojave, Catalina, BigSur and Monterey but now also works with Ventura for those who don’t want to upgrade to Sonoma...
Hi @alphascorp

Where is the new commands and the modified applications for those who don’t want to upgrade to Sonoma?

Thanks
Camelia

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Running Mojave on HFS+ made me completely forget about the System Preferences red badge update notification annoyance.

On unsupported Macs you can also remove the Software Update patch in order to get rid of this annoyance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.