Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Yea I’m sure it’s as “Genuine” as the USB-C to lightning cord I bought for $9.99 that stopped working a month later. With free shipping too!
If it was not mfi certified then you took that chance. The mfi certification/chipset cost alone is a few bucks now I believe where it used to be around $10 before. Then you have to work out the cost of the cable and shipping from China to the US and from the US to you. Amazon's cut is over 30% so that leaves you $7 to work with. Shipping could be probably $3-4 . Which leaves you with $3-4. A little math and you will know that it is being sold below cost if it was mfi certified which obviously it was not.
I have visited many USB cable manufacturers in China. I never blame China, I blame the buyer/seller because he wants to buy cheap because he wants to sell cheap. The end buyer is normally looking for cheap and when they buy something to cheap they end up paying for it just like here.

Reactions: tongxinshe

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Yes, let’s continue to let China rip us off (500 billion per year) in trade so we can buy cheaper trinkets.

1. It’s not ripping us off if Americans want products made in China more than China wants US made goods

2. If it’s not made in China, where the cost of labor is lower than in the US, it would be made elsewhere because that’s how capitalism works

3. Never trust a man about financial and economic matters when he’s filed more bankruptcies than 99.9% of the population

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Man I hate this. It really stinks. I don’t wanna pay more money for stuff. Things should go down in price ideally but not higher bc of this.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Tariffs are on the imported price of goods, not wholesale or retail. That charger may retail for $20, but only cost $1 off the boat. If duty on this $1 charger goes up to 25%, that could be just .25¢ But, will wholesalers and retailers along the chain mark this up exponentially? Does that tariff actually raise the retail price by 25% or .25¢?

You’re sort of correct, but the customs value is not anywhere near the 1/20th you threw out. It’s closer to 1/2.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Our country has been digging itself into a hole for the past two decades. Glad that we’ve finally got a leader who’s willing to deal with all this garbage, make some tough decisions and do what it takes to get us back out of this hole. I just hope the American people aren’t so spoiled and lazy at this point that they can no longer pull themselves up by their bootstraps, cinch their belts and work through things when they really need to. America IS becoming great again.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I thought it was the "transaction value". If the importer paid $1, wouldn't that be what the tariff is calculated on?

I think it depends on whether or not the importer is the actual retailer. At times the importer is the importer and retailer and other times where it may come from importer to distributors to wholesalers and then to retailers. There would be 2 increases in reality which is 25% on cost and 25% new retail sales sales (say it was 9% sales tax on $10 before where now it would be 9% sales tax on $12.5). Your retail price would increase twice due to tariff increase and sales tax increase.
[doublepost=1557802945][/doublepost]
Our country has been digging itself into a hole for the past two decades. Glad that we’ve finally got a leader who’s willing to deal with all this garbage, make some tough decisions and do what it takes to get us back out of this hole. I just hope the American people aren’t so spoiled and lazy at this point that they can no longer pull themselves up by their bootstraps, cinch their belts and work through things when they really need to. America IS becoming great again.

It is not fair to say "our country" as China does not just sell to America. It also sells to other countries all around the world where income is not as high as it is in the US. Those countries have not been ripped off.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I read several non-US or Chinese economists recently, who mostly said (quite surprisingly) that the US will likely win out.

Go and read them, for their explanations rather than the large blathering ill-informed guff that form most of the comments in here so far.

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
Yes, let’s continue to let China rip us off (500 billion per year) in trade so we can buy cheaper trinkets.

I buy $10 of sprockets from you. You buy $20 of widgets from me. I'm not "ripping you off" for $10.

I buy $10 of sprockets from you. You buy $20 of widgets from me and pay $10 of taxes (tariff) on those widgets to your government. You are not getting $10 back from me, you are paying your government an extra $10.

We could have better trade policy if most people, including Donald Trump, understood that.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
That's what everyone is saying about the US. It's going to cause WW3, but you know, whatevs.

People outside the US mostly feel more threatened by the US than China nowadays.

Thankfully, US influence has greatly diminished since Trump. He’s using all of his “skills” to make America “great” again and doesn’t have time for the rest of the world. The EU, China and Russia have taken advantage of that weakness.

At least the chances of the US starting WWIII have diminished now - as they can’t afford large scale foreign wars anymore. Without the rest of the world lending you money, you’re pretty much broke.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
1. It’s not ripping us off if Americans want products made in China more than China wants US made goods

Nonsense. The cost of foreign finished goods is relatively prohibitive in China. The middle class there has almost no access to foreign finished goods save for luxury items like liquor or some food ingredients. And why? Because there are already endless tariffs and barriers outside the rule of law that prevent access to the marketplace. And trade under the rule of law is what the dispute is all about. This has been going on since China's entry into the WTO.

Take this, and factor in King for life Xi Jinping and the raized mosques and mass detention in Xinjiang, and you can see the need to extricate our economy from the communists is readily apparent. I could even see a situation where this is not resolvable and we will have a bifurcated world economy in the future. Fine with me.

Last edited:

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Take this, and factor in King for life Xi Jinping and the raised mosques and mass detention in Xinjiang, and you can see the need to extricate our economy from the communists is readily apparent. I could even see a situation where this is not resolvable and we will have a bifurcated world economy in the future. Fine with me.

Let’s wait how long Trump will remain dictator in chief. Xi Jinping and Trump are pretty much on the same level evil dictator wise.

But you’re right about the world’s needing to be less dependent on China and the US - dictatorships should never be supported. For some reason, “made in Europe” labels have been popping up all over the place here. Somehow the EU is managing to move production back to Europe - and somehow we’re managing to do that without brain-dead trade wars and idiotic rhetorics, and without an ego-maniac dictator at the helm. Just saying: it’s doable.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Nonsense. The cost of foreign finished goods is relatively prohibitive in China. The middle class there has almost no access to foreign finished goods save for luxury items like liquor or some food ingredients. And why? Because there are already endless tariffs and barriers outside the rule of law that prevent access to the marketplace. And trade under the rule of law is what the dispute is all about. This has been going on since China's entry into the WTO.

Take this, and factor in King for life Xi Jinping and the raised mosques and mass detention in Xinjiang, and you can see the need to extricate our economy from the communists is readily apparent. I could even see a situation where this is not resolvable and we will have a bifurcated world economy in the future. Fine with me.

I agree that they’re not playing completely fair, but nobody plays completely fair. They protect their manufacturers like we protect our farmers. The fact remains, it’s cheaper to manufacture most things in China than in the US, so even if we manufactured more goods here, we wouldn’t be very competitive over there.

Besides, that country is so big, who cares if we have to manufacture goods there? How many billions did Apple alone make selling to the Chinese market? And how many millionaires were created in the US as a result? The same goes for Nike, GM, Starbucks, FedEx, Microsoft, etc. and a healthy chunk of that money comes back to the US in the form of taxes.

Lastly, what does it matter that they’re communists? America is far from perfect and we should not be so arrogant to believe that our way is the only way or the best way. In fact, some would argue that the fact that we don’t provide universal healthcare is a major humanitarian issue.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Me and my wife wanted to build a house this year, but we’ll hold off because we’re not going to pay an extra 25% for building materials. All this is doing is inflating new construction build prices and then if the market drops..some will be sitting on negative equity. We only need a lot of foreclosures and we’ll have a repeat of the housing crash..

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I agree that they’re not playing completely fair, but nobody plays completely fair. They protect their manufacturers like we protect our farmers. The fact remains, it’s cheaper to manufacture most things in China than in the US, so even if we manufactured more goods here, we wouldn’t be very competitive over there.

Besides, that country is so big, who cares if we have to manufacture goods there? How many billions did Apple alone make selling to the Chinese market? And how many millionaires were created in the US as a result? The same goes for Nike, GM, Starbucks, FedEx, Microsoft, etc. and a healthy chunk of that money comes back to the US in the form of taxes.

Lastly, what does it matter that they’re communists? America is far from perfect and we should not be so arrogant to believe that our way is the only way or the best way. In fact, some would argue that the fact that we don’t provide universal healthcare is a major humanitarian issue.

Hoe many investors and Hedge Fund companies in the US made money because Apple’s stock price went up due to earnings and sales? The money from Apple’s expansion in the US which put American people to work which in return paid taxes to the government came from where..? Not just Apple, you for Dell,Thinkpads,HP,etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.