Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This seems like a done deal, starting in January 2020.
Then again, he has to start somewhere - LOL

[doublepost=1565090430][/doublepost]Well, we're about to lose our Captain, Laurent Koscielny. I am not happy about the way this all happened.
However, if things were promised to him, and now Arsenal are going back on their word, I get Koscielny's revolt. To me, it does seem like we often have weird things happen with our Captains. From drinking, to playing the best football of your life, to then move to Manu

Now, the question becomes who's to lead us on the pitch? Please do not say Xhaka. I have serious reservations about that...

I am also sorry that we are about to lose Laurent Koscielny, however, he has made clear his unhappiness at Arsenal and his desire to leave the club.

He has served the club long and well, and, from what I have seen, to attempt to retain a player who has lost the desire to remain with the club, never ends well as the player is no longer all that committed (emotionally, psychologically) to the club by then.

More worrying for me is the sight of serious stalwarts such as Ramsay and Kocscielny wanting to leave Arsenal, and what this says about the atmosphere (and possible lack of ambition) at the club.

And yes, I know that Mr Emery needs time, and that rebuilding is a a work in progress and one that will take time to bear any sort of fruit, but I am still concerned that the notorious defensive frailties and infamous brittleness have not really been addressed.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What are your thoughts on Lucas Joao now we've just signed him? Looked a handful on Saturday and scored a pretty decent goal, Reading have needed a decent physical forward ever since Kermorgant retired.

I'm slightly concerned with our transfer business considering we were under a soft embargo in August due to being near FFP limits, yet now are splashing a reported £5m on Joao, and possibly €10m on Puscas from Inter Milan. I hope it's not to the long-term detriment of the club.

The money flying around the Championship is truly mind-boggling. I can't believe Bristol City sold Webster for £20m+ and Brentford got the same for Maupay.

I love him!

Next kit I buy will have his name and number!

Lucas Joao is gone! dammit.

Rhodes apparently is off to Norwich for good! Hurrraaaayy!

I agree about the money.

There is a small rumour that we are after Ben Marshall who's just been released from Norwich, or Narrich, however you prefer to pronounce it... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: cambookpro

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Rooney to Derby....while I have no love for Rooney, I do love the concept of the player-manger. Can't wait till he looses the ball, sprints backwards in headless chicken mode and cops a straight red after a brainlessly wild tackle. Star playmaker and manager gone in one fell swoop.

Well, we're about to lose our Captain, Laurent Koscielny. I am not happy about the way this all happened. However, if things were promised to him, and now Arsenal are going back on their word, I get Koscielny's revolt.

Ripping off the Arsenal shirt to reveal his new club kit underneath - he's truly burned his bridges at Arsenal. With that being said, it's hard to imagine Kos would have done this unprovoked. I think it's fair to suggest that the suits are to blame as much as, if not more than, the player.

Now, the question becomes who's to lead us on the pitch? Please do not say Xhaka. I have serious reservations about that...

Mustafi, of course. :) (I kid)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ripping off the Arsenal shirt to reveal his new club kit underneath - he's truly burned his bridges at Arsenal. With that being said, it's hard to imagine Kos would have done this unprovoked. I think it's fair to suggest that the suits are to blame as much as, if not more than, the player.

I'm inclined to agree with you; it is ever so slightly ominous that Arsenal appear to be unable to retain the services of such players, (or, in the case of Ramsay, are unwilling to wish to retain the services of such players).

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm inclined to agree with you; it is ever so slightly ominous that Arsenal appear to be unable to retain the services of such players, (or, in the case of Ramsay, are unwilling to wish to retain the services of such players).

I am also of the opinion that fans demand too much loyalty from players.

Football is big business, and decisions are based on pragmatic - even cynical - appraisals of value, the bottom line, manipulating public perception, and self-interest.

Some players profit greatly from this system - but most do not, and many of the successful ones are still the dupes of their managers, club owners, agents and entourages. They don't help their case when they kiss badges or make social media posts about how much they love their club or hate their club's rivals (often at the instigation of club suits and/or agents.)

But at the end of the day, players are employees working under contract. They often get the short end of the stick and, despite the high wages many earn as players, the system dumps all of them out in their late 20s to mid 30s, often with no employable skills and without the education to adapt to life after football. So players do need to look out for themselves, and if a club is treating them badly, the fans rarely show much sympathy if they take strong measure to break free. Loyalty is a fine thing - but demanding loyalty from someone in an exploitative relationship is actually abuse.

Winston Bogarde is seen as a pariah, but actually he did what most of us would probably have done in his shoes. That more players have not done the same shows that, if anything, players typically show too much loyalty in a business where their employers rarely reciprocate, either to the fans or to the players.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
So, Arsenal could sign two defensive players tomorrow.
Interesting. Not a Luiz fan. Alas, we NEED defensive players, experienced ones...

Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You think you have problems. We have Man City on Saturday. Looks like we’ll be bottom of the table Saturday night!
I wonder if Jack Wilsher is lonely now Andy Carroll isn’t in the treatment room to keep him company.

Andy Carroll to Newcastle?

And the Guardian had a crack about the fact that there appear to be doubts about his fitness.

Well, Jack Wilshere is a talented (but exceedingly injury prone) player.

Dele Alli also seems to have developed further hamstring problems.

However, it seems to me that the intensity, pace and fitness requirements of the modern game put considerable stress on even the fittest and strongest of human bodies.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

And the Guardian had a crack about the fact that there appear to be doubts about his fitness.

However, it seems to me that the intensity, pace and fitness requirements of the modern game put considerable stress on even the fittest and strongest of human bodies.

Hoping Carroll goes to Juve so we can sign Dybala. I mean the Newcastle and Juve kits look similar.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I was glad to see the back of him. Promised much, delivered little.

If he was able to play 30+ games a season he’d never have been at West Ham in the first place.
As for Wilshire I’d say the same. Hopefully he has a fit year.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was glad to see the back of him. Promised much, delivered little.

If he was able to play 30+ games a season he’d never have been at West Ham in the first place.
As for Wilshire I’d say the same. Hopefully he has a fit year.

Well, from what I can see, many players (including some of the most expensive on the planet) have a habit of promising much and delivering little.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sane has torn his ACL in the Community Shield...he'll be out for months.

Carroll moves on a free, so it's relatively low risk, especially as he is being brought in as depth and not a starter. It's likely that he will spend most of the season injured.

Zaha and Bale stay put. Neither is happy, but at least Zaha is a fan favorite and will play. As for Bale...he is getting paid a ton of money and has every contractural right to it. The issue here is potentially much more explosive one between Zidane and...well, the world. He has deliberately burned all his bridges with the player in order to force Bale's move but has been blocked by P.T. Barnum -er, Florentino Perez. Now he is in a shaky position. Real have had a bad preseason and if the team get off to a weak start the pressure will be on Zidane first and foremost. If Zidane goes toe to toe with Perez over Bale, he will likely lose, even if it ends up costing Perez in the long term.

Bale could play the long game here - players tend to last longer than managers. He has a contract, and he can simply train with the reserves, play golf, and wait for Zidane to get the sack.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Carroll moves on a free, so it's relatively low risk, especially as he is being brought in as depth and not a starter. It's likely that he will spend most of the season injured.

Zaha and Bale stay put. Neither is happy, but at least Zaha is a fan favorite and will play. As for Bale...he is getting paid a ton of money and has every contractural right to it. The issue here is potentially much more explosive one between Zidane and...well, the world. He has deliberately burned all his bridges with the player in order to force Bale's move but has been blocked by P.T. Barnum -er, Florentino Perez. Now he is in a shaky position. Real have had a bad preseason and if the team get off to a weak start the pressure will be on Zidane first and foremost. If Zidane goes toe to toe with Perez over Bale, he will likely lose, even if it ends up costing Perez in the long term.

Bale could play the long game here - players tend to last longer than managers. He has a contract, and he can simply train with the reserves, play golf, and wait for Zidane to get the sack.
Very true. I’m not really sure what Zidane’s beef is with Bale.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Spurs have strengthened themselves pretty nicely. They've definitely solidified their position as the third best club in the league.

Tierney and Luiz will improve Arsenal's defense, but by how much remains to be seen. Tierney comes with a lot of hype, but the SPL isn't exactly top level competition. Luiz isn't the consistent performer you'd build a solid defense around, but the entertainment value should be very high.

For all the noise and bluster about Dybala and Ericksen, neither one ends up moving. Will United's stronger defense make up for their still very thin ranks in midfield? And will the kids come through in attack? A lot of question marks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The loss of Sane to injury is serious, even though Manchester City have strength in depth and an expercned and motivated and superbly trained squad.

Re Bale and Zidane, very nasty and spiteful, and a strange tale that I have little doubt we have not heard the end of.

The strange thing here is that Bale's potential move was blocked; one would have thought that the club would have been delighted to get rid of him for a good fee., instead of allowing the situation to fester further.

Very true. I’m not really sure what Zidane’s beef is with Bale.

Likewise.

Spurs have strengthened themselves pretty nicely. They've definitely solidified their position as the third best club in the league.

Tierney and Luiz will improve Arsenal's defense, but by how much remains to be seen. Tierney comes with a lot of hype, but the SPL isn't exactly top level competition. Luiz isn't the consistent performer you'd build a solid defense around, but the entertainment value should be very high.

For all the noise and bluster about Dybala and Ericksen, neither one ends up moving. Will United's stronger defense make up for their still very thin ranks in midfield? And will the kids come through in attack? A lot of question marks.

While I still cannot understand allowing Ramsay to leave, at least some attempt has been made to strengthen the defence, and I daresay that Holding (who was sorely missed last season once he became injured) can be expected to return to the squad and team over the course of the season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.