Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
With all that being said, Both Real and Barca have been run in a very short-sighted way for many years. Blaming the current president for all this is equally short-sighted.

Symbolically, Messi departing is a big moment, but from a sporting standpoint it's not that big of a deal. For example -Crispy Ronaldo was brought to Juventus for one purpose - to win the Champions League. He kept banging in the goals but you will notice that the Champions League trophy was engraved "Bayern Munchen" this year, not "Juventus".

I don't know about Barcelona but Real Madrid is not short sighted. Madrid was always a top team and the greatest in Europe with 34 national league trophies (near 1/3 of the past 100 years) and 13 UCL with the second coming at 7 (AC Milan) and they probably always had the greatest football stars playing for them.

As for Juventus, they need a lot more than Ronaldo to score the UCL against PSG's Neymar, Barcelona's Messi, Liverpool's Salah, Man City's Sterling, and Munich's Lewandowski...Juventus historically is not a great UCL comeptitors with Just 2 wins(equaling Nottm Forest) and their last was 24 years ago.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I don't know about Barcelona but Real Madrid is not short sighted. Madrid was always a top team and the greatest in Europe with 34 national league trophies (near 1/3 of the past 100 years) and 13 UCL with the second coming at 7 (AC Milan) and they probably always had the greatest football stars playing for them.

Real Madrid is a winning machine, pure and simple. If your metric for judging a football club is trophies won and the quality of the individual players, you won't find a "better" club than Real Madrid. No club has more fans around the world, and they are, as a rule, rabidly vocal. They love the shower of trophies. They love the constant stream of flashy Galactico players. And they want more.

Real Madrid (and Barcelona) have a different model from most football clubs though, with the club theoretically being a non-profit owned by paying club members (over 90,000 in Real Madrid's case). They elect a representative body that in turn elects a club president every four years. This sounds lovely and democratic, but in fact it has created a club political environment where presidents use their term in office to please the masses and win re-election. So the club's leadership is, by definition, short-sighted - the president is never thinking past the next election cycle. The club members and fans don't mind this short-sightedness because it's brought them success, and probably will continue to do so. And if they don't like the current president they can vote him out and vote in a new one who brings new bank loan guarantees, a new sponsor deal, and promises to sign XYZ world star. And the cycle repeats.

If all this sounds boring to you and you don't care, I get it - most fans don't really care how football is run as long as the spectacle lives up to the hype. Enjoy the show. Real certainly deliver in that department.

Lots of sport writes far more eloquent than I have been over this many times, so I don't want to try and duplicate their efforts (because I certainily can't better them). But Real's shortsighted approach is not a secret.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Real Madrid is a winning machine, pure and simple. If your metric for judging a football club is trophies won and the quality of the individual players, you won't find a "better" club than Real Madrid. No club has more fans around the world, and they are, as a rule, rabidly vocal. They love the shower of trophies. They love the constant stream of flashy Galactico players. And they want more.

Real Madrid (and Barcelona) have a different model from most football clubs though, with the club theoretically being a non-profit owned by paying club members (over 90,000 in Real Madrid's case). They elect a representative body that in turn elects a club president every four years. This sounds lovely and democratic, but in fact it has created a club political environment where presidents use their term in office to please the masses and win re-election. So the club's leadership is, by definition, short-sighted - the president is never thinking past the next election cycle. The club members and fans don't mind this short-sightedness because it's brought them success, and probably will continue to do so. And if they don't like the current president they can vote him out and vote in a new one who brings new bank loan guarantees, a new sponsor deal, and promises to sign XYZ world star. And the cycle repeats.

If all this sounds boring to you and you don't care, I get it - most fans don't really care how football is run as long as the spectacle lives up to the hype. Enjoy the show. Real certainly deliver in that department.

Lots of sport writes far more eloquent than I have been over this many times, so I don't want to try and duplicate their efforts (because I certainily can't better them). But Real's shortsighted approach is not a secret.

Well, what else do you want me to judge a club over? A club exists to win trophies and be entertained by their gameplay which comes from talented players. I also thought Barcelona and Man. UTD had more fans. I am sure Man. UTD had more fans up until around 2002 at least.(world wide)

This form of short sightedness is not bad if its getting the desired results, plus this can be easily fixed if the representative body enforces a strategy and a plan that the president has to work by. I personally find this form of management better than the ones seen in EPL where some business dude buys a mid-tier club and all he concentrates on is getting a middle rank by the end of the season ensuring that he can continue to milk the fans' money with ticket sales and shirts with 0 real intentions of scoring a trophy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Doesn’t really feel like it’s that long since the old one finished.
Congratulations on the win.

Thank you.

Agreed that it seems hardly any time (in fact, it it is only a matter of a mere, few, short weeks) since the previous season ended.

However, as this competition - the Charity Shield - is the curtain raiser for a new season, in theory, the new season is about to start, although games in the PL won't actually kick off for another fortnight (whereas, the PL usually starts a week after the Charity Shield).

Anyway,while I was waiting for @Lord Blackadder to start a new thread - and he can still do so, I have - at least, for now, - started a thread about the coming season, 2020-2021, which I am happy to yield, or cede, to @Lord Blackadder should he wish the honour of kicking the thread off.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Well, that is a nice start. I am hoping we can follow this up with a few confirmed signings this coming week. Then start AND finish the season strong.

nicely done Arsenal...

PS: Will someone be creating a 2021 thread soon, or we continue here?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.