Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Interesting piece by Barney Ronay on the cynical (and successful) nature of Qatar's PSG project:

"The entire success of this model has relied on loophole-wangling and accounting tricks. PSG’s transfer activity has distorted the market, normalising obscene expenditure. Above all, the world’s most uplifting form of public entertainment has been used as a nakedly political tool by a morally questionable state governed by a super-rich inherited monarchy."

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Absolutely (and wholeheartedly) agree with you.
I'd say the same if he was one of our players as well. But as you know West Ham have a policy of employing well balanced friendly employees.

julian-dicks-b863b777-19d5-41ac-8175-fb92c7734ce-resize-750.jpeg

Okay before he joined us!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting piece by Barney Ronay on the cynical (and successful) nature of Qatar's PSG project:

"The entire success of this model has relied on loophole-wangling and accounting tricks. PSG’s transfer activity has distorted the market, normalising obscene expenditure. Above all, the world’s most uplifting form of public entertainment has been used as a nakedly political tool by a morally questionable state governed by a super-rich inherited monarchy."

An excellent and interesting and thought-provoking piece.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I was actually really surprised at how hard it was for Bayern to break down the PSG defence.
I know that their money has assembled a really great squad and they wouldn't be in the final if they were rubbish, but it's always their attack that gets mentioned...
I thought Bayern simply would have been too strong for their defence, but they didn't overwhelm them at all and the single goal was a just reward for their season's efforts. Just thought there would have been more goals.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was actually really surprised at how hard it was for Bayern to break down the PSG defence.
I know that their money has assembled a really great squad and they wouldn't be in the final if they were rubbish, but it's always their attack that gets mentioned...
I thought Bayern simply would have been too strong for their defence, but they didn't overwhelm them at all and the single goal was a just reward for their season's efforts. Just thought there would have been more goals.

There were a number of rather good chances that were not successfully converted, on both sides, but especially on the part of OSG.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A dull final contested by two opponents I don't care about. But Bayern deserved the win.

Overall Bayern did a fairly professional job on a PSG side that remain unbalanced. PSG have improved somewhat over the last few seasons. It's hard to give them too much credit for that given they are spending dump trucks full of money and still usually get beaten when they come up against a truly tough opponent.

As a Liverpool fan I look at the final with a fair amount of regret - Klopp would have considered either of the finalists as quite beatable. Atleti, who were never going to win it themselves but are a tough team, caught Liverpool at their weakest and exploited it.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I am just happy that Neymar did not win. For such a gifted player, I cannot stand when he starts to milk his 'dives'.

Neymar is an amazing player in terms of talent, potentially the best on the planet now that Messi and Ronaldo are aging out. But there is a ton of dodgy business surrounding him, the economics of Neymar are eye watering during a global recession, he has shown flashes of immaturity, and he hasn't yet fully lived up to the hype. He (and his "people") also spends too much time whining about an imagined sea of doubters or haters. No credible people hate him or doubt his ability - but many are uncomfortable with the economic and governance issues within football that have birthed and support Neymar the brand. Neymar, like the club he plays for, is undeniably a major force in world football, but is also very hard to like.

Mbappé, on the other hand, seems to have his head screwed on straight. I just wish he'd leave PSG so I could cheer him without feeling a little unclean.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I agree 100%. Would love to see Mbappe elsewhere...

Neymar is an amazing player in terms of talent, potentially the best on the planet now that Messi and Ronaldo are aging out. But there is a ton of dodgy business surrounding him, the economics of Neymar are eye watering during a global recession, he has shown flashes of immaturity, and he hasn't yet fully lived up to the hype. He (and his "people") also spends too much time whining about an imagined sea of doubters or haters. No credible people hate him or doubt his ability - but many are uncomfortable with the economic and governance issues within football that have birthed and support Neymar the brand. Neymar, like the club he plays for, is undeniably a major force in world football, but is also very hard to like.

Mbappé, on the other hand, seems to have his head screwed on straight. I just wish he'd leave PSG so I could cheer him without feeling a little unclean.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
More on the Harry Maguire Affair: the charges of bribery have been dropped, and the assault charges, being misdemeanors, can under Greek law be converted to fines. Maguire will not have to appear in court in person.

Thanks to his lawyers Maguire is likely to get away with this one pretty much scott-free and may even be in the England squad for their next match.

Tomorrow is the UEFA Women's Champions League semi-finals; Wolfsburg/Barcelona and Paris/Lyon. I'm for exciting matches.

I expect Lyon to walk this as usual...

Last edited:

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
It's always been one rule for footballers/professional sportspeople/wealthy business leaders and one rule for the rest of us.

Reminds me of the horrendous assault that the Leeds players were involved in...the civilians were charged and got done for affray and other charges - the footballers paid some fines and walked away having committed horrendous crimes and not having to atone for them.

EDIT: looks like Woodgate got affray and Bowyer got off scot-free

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Here's a question for everyone: Is anyone setting up a Fantasy Premier League "macrumors league"?

We've been running one for years now. I even won it once, though that magical season feels like a distant memory now. The victory parade for Prospect Park FC involved a convertible with the top down driving the loop around Grand Army Plaza about 20 times while patrons of the farmer's market and the main branch of the Brooklyn Library looked on in confusion.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If the transcript of the Harry McGuire incident is correct, my opinion of him has diminished.
Anyone who says ‘Do you Know who I am’ deserves everything they get. Wish his manager was Brian Clough. He’d find himself stripped of the captaincy and training with the kids.
But these days that sort of thing won’t happen.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
More on the Harry Maguire Affair: the charges of bribery have been dropped, and the assault charges, being misdemeanors, can under Greek law be converted to fines. Maguire will not have to appear in court in person.

Thanks to his lawyers Maguire is likely to get away with this one pretty much scott-free and may even be in the England squad for their next match.

Leaves a bad taste, to put it mildly.

Very underwhelmed.

It's always been one rule for footballers/professional sportspeople/wealthy business leaders and one rule for the rest of us.

Reminds me of the horrendous assault that the Leeds players were involved in...the civilians were charged and got done for affray and other charges - the footballers paid some fines and walked away having committed horrendous crimes and not having to atone for them.

EDIT: looks like Woodgate got affray and Bowyer got off scot-free

I remember that, very ugly.

If the transcript of the Harry McGuire incident is correct, my opinion of him has diminished.
Anyone who says ‘Do you Know who I am’ deserves everything they get. Wish his manager was Brian Clough. He’d find himself stripped of the captaincy and training with the kids.
But these days that sort of thing won’t happen.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, after a similar incident, Phil Babb was immediately dropped from the Irish team (and sent back to his club) by then manager Mick McCarthy, who, whatever about his limitations on the pitch, is a decent and ethical human being.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Leaves a bad taste, to put it mildly.

Very underwhelmed.

I remember that, very ugly.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, after a similar incident, Phil Babb was immediately dropped from the Irish team (and sent back to his club) by then manager Mick McCarthy, who, whatever about his limitations on the pitch, is a decent and ethical human being.
I think OGS is also a decent guy, but doubt a similar decision will be reached. I think the players are too powerful these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.