Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
2-1 now. Looks like Man U are going out.

And Manchester United (who will rue the many chances not taken) are out, after a 2-1 defeat to Sevila.
[automerge]1597612084[/automerge]
A momentary lapse in Man U's defense cost them the second goal which you can not do against Sevilla.

Plus a failure to convert their chances, which you cannot do against Sevilla, or at this level, and still expect to claim victory.

Reactions: JamesMike

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
2-1 now. Looks like Man U are going out.

Welp, that was a frustrating match, and a solid indicator of how far away United still remains from being a true contender despite the progress they've made this season. Now we get to watch Ed Woodward mismanage the transfer window — good times!

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sevilla have been the kings of the Europa League for a while now, I always see them as one of the favorites to win this competition, it's almost in their muscle memory. Even with Lopetegui at the helm.

The thing about the Europa League is that it is a grind to get to the knockout stages but it's actually hard to win it one you get there. You're basically facing good Champion's League-quality teams by this point. Sevilla have a lot less talent (on paper) than Man Utd but they are a solid, well-drilled side with a plan and plenty of experience.

Man Utd have become a more coherent squad of late but there is still a big question as to whether they are good enough to meet expectations (i.e. more than just finishing in the top four, I presume). They have spent an immense amount of money since Ferguson left and by that metric continue to substantially underperform. Fernandes has been a hit and a key player going forward - and his success (and price) highlights how much of a flop Pogba has been. Not that Pogba has always been bad, but he cost record money, and not even Man Utd. can afford to pay record money for that kind of output.

Then again, I suppose they can...it is the privilege of all rich clubs to perennially overpay for players without going bankrupt, until they hit on a squad that can win things. They don't have to be as efficient, or clever, or lucky as everyone else, and can simply rely on their wealth - staying at the roulette wheel, bleeding money, till their numbers come up. Some, like Man City and Liverpool, have also been pretty well-run of late, but they still use their financial muscle as a force multiplier. Klopp and especially Guardiola don't work for peanuts.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Both the Spanish and German leagues are extraordinarily non-competitive in terms of who wins titles. And yet Spanish teams (well, Sevilla and Atletico Madrid) have an excellent record for winning the Europa League while German teams have only appeared in the final four times in the last 25ish years, and last won it in 1997.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's not that I want Bayern to win today. Not at all. However, if Lyon somehow pull a massive upset that means PSG will probably win the Champions league, and that is completely intolerable.

Ah. I thought you meant the brand. As in the energy drink. ?

I think Red Bull (the drink) is utterly vile, but I suspect I'm swimming against the current there given how much money they make selling the stuff.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's not that I want Bayern to win today. Not at all. However, if Lyon somehow pull a massive upset that means PSG will probably win the Champions league, and that is completely intolerable.

I think Red Bull (the drink) is utterly vile, but I suspect I'm swimming against the current there given how much money they make selling the stuff.

Loathsome beverage, agreed.

Watching Lyon/Bayern match now. I'm picking Bayern to win.

I would be surprised if Bayern do not win.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, you won't be surprised today.

I expect Bayern to thump PSG in the final. They might leak a couple goals to PSG's admittedly fearsome attacking talent - but PSG will surely leak more.

Better Bayern than PSG.

From a romantic perspective, I'd have liked to have seen Lyon do well, but I think that you had the right of it: They would have found it difficult to defeat PSG in the final.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Blackadder

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I expect Bayern to thump PSG in the final. They might leak a couple goals to PSG's admittedly fearsome attacking talent - but PSG will surely leak more.
I would say that Bayern will romp away with it after a fairly even first half.
They just have such an assured quality about them...they get better as the clock winds on, instead of more tired looking.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I’ll go out on limb and claim PSG will win the final.

Not going to happen. Though if it did I would enjoy a laugh at Bayern's expense. But ugh, PSG champions...gross. Everything about them is wrong - the financial doping, the ownership model, the recruitment approach, Neymar, their destruction of Ligue 1 as a competitive league, their chop-n-change attitude to team-building...no neutral can ever want them to win anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.