Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not going to happen. Though if it did I would enjoy a laugh at Bayern's expense. But ugh, PSG champions...gross. Everything about them is wrong - the financial doping, the ownership model, the recruitment approach, Neymar, their destruction of Ligue 1 as a competitive league, their chop-n-change attitude to team-building...no neutral can ever want them to win anything.

On this occasion, for the reasons you state among other, I sincerely hope that Bayern are victorious in the final.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Not going to happen. Though if it did I would enjoy a laugh at Bayern's expense. But ugh, PSG champions...gross. Everything about them is wrong - the financial doping, the ownership model, the recruitment approach, Neymar, their destruction of Ligue 1 as a competitive league, their chop-n-change attitude to team-building...no neutral can ever want them to win anything.
Yeah I agree with most of what you said also.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
It's a shame because once upon a time they were a great team to follow as a neutral - alongside Juve, Ajax, Barca/Real, Panathanaikos, Fenerbache etc...all Champions League regulars who were there or thereabouts in terms of being the best in their home leagues and having patchy CL performances over the years.
Money has really changed that landscape for the worse.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Harry Maguire is finishing his Greek vacation in a holding cell after taking a drunken swing or two at the police...maybe he should have stayed home and taken up gardening?

Let's talk about The Crew...

I think that time together in the tourney has made this a pretty formidable team.

We destroyed the Fire the other day.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
An entertaining Europa League final with five goals. Sevilla cement their somewhat unusual status as kings of the Europa League.

Let's talk about The Crew...

I think that time together in the tourney has made this a pretty formidable team.

We destroyed the Fire the other day.

Nagbe scored a worldie. It was a great result against a bad team. Though if you look closer at the performance, Chicago got in behind Columbus's defense too often. Our backup keeper did OK though I will feel better when Eloy Room gets back. Wormgoor is obviously very injury prone and Zelarayan's znkle injury is holding him back longer than expected.

With that being said, Columbus are a team with lots of talent and a clear plan, it could (COVID aside) be a good season for them.

Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Harry Maguire is finishing his Greek vacation in a holding cell after taking a drunken swing or two at the police...maybe he should have stayed home and taken up gardening?

There is no country in the world - not even the sort of civilised places where the police hold up traffic to gently shepherd a a family of ducklings, waddling after their mother, across a busy street to their home in a pond in a city centre park -where it is considered a good idea to take a swing at a police officer while drunk.

Arrogant, ignorant, boorish, violent, and entitled behaviour.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
There is no country in the world - not even the sort of civilised places where the police hold up traffic to gently shepherd a a family of ducklings, waddling after their mother, across a busy street to their home in a pond in a city centre park -where it is considered a good idea to take a swing at a police officer while drunk.

Arrogant, ignorant, boorish, violent, and entitled behaviour.

Details are still sketchy, but Maguire has already assembled a crack legal team to ensure that 'justice' is done. If it was just a question of a brief, contrite court appearance followed by a fine I imagine this would blow over pretty quick. But since he and his companions are charged with assaulting a police officer and attempted bribery his legal eagles might have to pull every dirty trick in their arsenal if they hope to cheat justice. (Assuming, of course, he is guilty of the alleged offense).

I can tell you this much - I have NO doubt that if I punched a cop in Mykonos and then tried to bribe my way out of it, I would expect to end up doing some time in a Greek hoosegow. But I'm not a celebrity footballer.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As a fan of Man U since 1977, there is no excuse for this behavior, especially for the Captain of the team. Whatever his legal ramifications his Captaincy should also be removed.
For sure. To be honest if its a fight in a bar with another drinker it could be a 50/50 thing. But punching a Police officer? Should be jail for sure. At least if I went on holiday abroad and punched a police officer, that's where I would end up.

One rule for the rich, one for the rest of us.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As a fan of Man U since 1977, there is no excuse for this behavior, especially for the Captain of the team. Whatever his legal ramifications his Captaincy should also be removed.

There isn't enough evidence to draw any conclusions yet, but it seems that whatever happened Maguire appears to have been in the thick of it and not just a bit player. The antagonists appear to have been another group of English tourists (stereotype alert), and Maguire got involved after his sister was "stabbed with a sharp object."

I think Maguire's biggest crime was punching a cop during a slow-ish news week. Because right now there is little else to talk about.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There isn't enough evidence to draw any conclusions yet, but it seems that whatever happened Maguire appears to have been in the thick of it and not just a bit player. The antagonists appear to have been another group of English tourists (stereotype alert), and Maguire got involved after his sister was "stabbed with a sharp object."

I think Maguire's biggest crime was punching a cop during a slow-ish news week. Because right now there is little else to talk about.

He seems to have - or, is alleged to have - offered a bribe to the police as well.

Absolutely agreed.

Over a decade ago, when Phill Babb trashed a policewoman's car (parked outside the police station where she was on duty) in Dublin on "a night out", while on international duty, and was arrested and appeared in court, he was immediately (and rightly) dropped from the Irish team.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
He seems to have - or, is alleged to have - offered a bribe to the police as well.

One Greek paper suggested the "bribe" allegation stems from the police misunderstanding Maguire's intent when he (allegedly) asked them how much of a fine he could expect to pay. But again, all hearsay.

It seems serious, but lawyers can work miracles if you have enough money. Who cares if some provincial Greek cop got roughed up? This is the Premier League we are talking about here!!!! :rolleyes:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One Greek paper suggested the "bribe" allegation stems from the police misunderstanding Maguire's intent when he (allegedly) asked them how much of a fine he could expect to pay. But again, all hearsay.

It seems serious, but lawyers can work miracles if you have enough money. Who cares if some provincial Greek cop got roughed up? This is the Premier League we are talking about here!!!! :rolleyes:

Hearsay, yes, but there is a culture in football (and in other areas where vast sums of money are made) that you can buy your way out of trouble without suffering any ill consequences or being made accountable for your actions in any way.

Prior to posting, I looked up reports on Phil Babb's case, as I recalled it (some reports at the time had suggested that Babb had sneered at the policewoman that it would cost next to nothing to repair her car - it wasn't new - and that he earned more per week than she did in a year. He seemed surprised that she arrested him).

I do know that his reputation in Ireland was toast as a consequence.

The fact that Manchester United flew out a lawyer - in a private plane - suggests to me that this is serious.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I think punching a cop is pretty serious. Sort of thing that would get you shot in some less civilised parts of the world.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Absolutely agreed.

Over a decade ago, when Phill Babb trashed a policewoman's car (parked outside the police station where she was on duty) in Dublin on "a night out", while on international duty, and was arrested and appeared in court, he was immediately (and rightly) dropped from the Irish team.
Offered a bribe. Sounds like the entitled thinking they can pay their way out of trouble. If it turns out to be true, I hope they throw the book at him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.