Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
What is your thoughts on this? WSL Leicester have sacked their manger due to an alleged relationship with a player because the club says he has broken the clubs code of conduct BUT apparently same sex player relationships are allowed. So, players can have relationships with one another but coaching staff and players are not allowed. Do you agree that a manager having a relationship with one of their players can cause a power imbalance within the team? as in the player may get preferential treatment due to being in a relationship with the manager.
Yes. Player/player relationship is fine. And maybe even Manager/Coaching staff.

But Manager/Player or Coaching Staff/Player enters dodgy territory because there is a power imbalance

It's arbitrary and in real life probably doesn't matter depending on the individuals but once others get wind of it. You're done.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What is your thoughts on this? WSL Leicester have sacked their manger due to an alleged relationship with a player because the club says he has broken the clubs code of conduct BUT apparently same sex player relationships are allowed. So, players can have relationships with one another but coaching staff and players are not allowed. Do you agree that a manager having a relationship with one of their players can cause a power imbalance within the team? as in the player may get preferential treatment due to being in a relationship with the manager.
I'd think it would be very hard to stay unbiased...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Alonso ends speculation about his future by confirming he will be at Leverkusen next season.

Arguably the right call. Why go to Liverpool after Klopp and be under ridiculous scrutiny, possibly harming his fledgling managerial career.

And why go to Bayern, when he is already dominating them at Leverkusen.

It also means three massive seats are up for grabs in the summer; Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Alonso ends speculation about his future by confirming he will be at Leverkusen next season.

Arguably the right call. Why go to Liverpool after Klopp and be under ridiculous scrutiny, possibly harming his fledgling managerial career.

And why go to Bayern, when he is already dominating them at Leverkusen.

It also means three massive seats are up for grabs in the summer; Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool.
The Liverpool job will be a poisoned chalice just like it was at Man United when Alex Ferguson left because no one has been able to bring continued success at United since he left and I feel it will be the same at Liverpool because who ever takes on the Liverpool job will be expected to carry on where Klopp left off, just like what was expected at United when Moyes was given the job. He was expected to carry on where Ferguson left off but it never worked. The same will happen at Liverpool in my opinion.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
10163_small.png
1 - 1
10003_small.png

meh!

Opportunity squandered ...

Reactions: brucemr

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Curious to see if Eddie Howe keeps his job this summer

Granted he’s had a torrid time with injuries

EDIT: what a comeback. Helped by the ref though. Not a pen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silencio

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Predictable outcome and predictable day really
Actually, I'm more than okay with it.

We didn't concede (keeping a clean sheet against City when they are playing at home is no mean achievement), - and, yes, while we didn't score - they haven't defeated us this season.

This was a solid, composed, nerveless, performance from Arsenal and the defence - Arsenal's defence - was exceptionally good.

A point (and a clean sheet) when playing at the Etihad is not a bad result at all.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think the plan from Arteta was to come out unscathed.

If they lose today its damaging psychologically and they almost put themselves out of the race.

That said, i think City were there to be got at

Similarly, it seems City never left 2nd gear. Albeit that was also party due to Arsenal.

But given Pep started with 4 defenders and 2 central midfielders i don't think he was particularly adventurous either. Granted he had injuries to deal with.

Good day for Liverpool who now have a clearer path to the title.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It’s a good result for Liverpool, an ok result for Arsenal and an ok but not as great result for Man City.

The league will be won by who be we ‘big’ club beats up on the bottom or middling clubs more, not really due to results in the ‘big’ games.

Which is why Man City, with the easiest schedule now, are still probably favorites.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It’s a good result for Liverpool, an ok result for Arsenal and an ok but not as great result for Man City.

The league will be won by who be we ‘big’ club beats up on the bottom or middling clubs more, not really due to results in the ‘big’ games.

Which is why Man City, with the easiest schedule now, are still probably favorites.
Really? Can’t see anyone other than Liverpool being favourites personally.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If Liverpool fail to win it from here on out, then i think its on them and they can have no complaints.

Also get the feeling Klopp was basically inaugurating RDZ at Anfield today.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think the plan from Arteta was to come out unscathed.

If they lose today its damaging psychologically and they almost put themselves out of the race.

That said, i think City were there to be got at

Similarly, it seems City never left 2nd gear. Albeit that was also party due to Arsenal.

But given Pep started with 4 defenders and 2 central midfielders i don't think he was particularly adventurous either. Granted he had injuries to deal with.

Good day for Liverpool who now have a clearer path to the title.

This was the first time in 58 matches that City were held goalless at the Etihad; such a statistic reflects extremely well on the Arsenal defence (the best in the League at the moment, with the fewest goals conceded), and on Arsenal's composure and control.

According to the Guardian, City played 690 passes (and had over 70% possession) yet had no attempts on target from open play.

Arsenal have now defeated City at home, and have held them to a draw at their own fortress, an impressive pair of results, even if Liverpool were the major beneficiaries of today's game and result.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Liverpool being favourites for the title is a bit of a stretch considering the teams they have got to play, Man United, Villa and Spurs, teams all fighting for a European place and Everton who is fighting for league survival. City most certainly have the easier run of games.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If Liverpool fail to win it from here on out, then i think its on them and they can have no complaints.

While I somewhat agree with you on that, this has been the tightest title race for years and Liverpool’s run-in is tough. They have a great shot at it his season but there are so many ways it could so easily go wrong. Arsenal and Man City are both still right behind and everything can turn in a single weekend….

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
While I somewhat agree with you on that, this has been the tightest title race for years and Liverpool’s run-in is tough. They have a great shot at it his season but there are so many ways it could so easily go wrong. Arsenal and Man City are both still right behind and everything can turn in a single weekend….
Very true, how many times have we seen it when people have said Man United was favourites to win the title with only 6-7 games left of the season and they have failed because they played teams that were either fighting for league survival or desperately seeking a European place. On paper Liverpool face the toughest task out of the three because they are up against more teams that have more to go for than the others. Villa Spurs and United are all fighting for the much converted European places. ETH knows United need a European place if his job is to be safe so he will be making sure the team fights every step of the way. Villa and Spurs will desperately want that last champions league spot so they will fight for it. Everton will fight for league survival.

We have seen it time and time again where teams at both ends of the table put in strong displays against those looking to win the league and time and time again we have seen it does not always end up like that. United have lost the league title numerous times by a point or two points because games they should have won they either drew or lost. Liverpool lost out on the league by 1 point to City. It is very very close between Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City. A draw from any of them could be the difference between being champions or coming in 2nd or 3rd place.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I see the British press are out with their usual nonsense this morning. Criticising us for being boring and not showing bravery.

These are the same clowns that called us bottlers and naive last season when we lost away and home to City. Because we opted to play football rather than sit back
Some even had the audacity to say City had injuries hence why they didn't win.

Meanwhile when we lost Saliba and Partey last season in both games, no one gave a toss about that, and instead continued with their bottling narrative.

Yesterday turned out how i pretty much predicted, hence i was more focused on the Women's final.

I respect what Arteta did. Better a point gained than 3 lost with a psychological blow. If we got 2 pts against City last season we would've won the league. This season we have 4 against City and 'Pool. And we're the first team to stop City scoring in 76 games.
Thats progression to me.

Whilst i still think it'll be too much of an ask this season given the fixture list. I'm fairly confident on current trajectory, we will win the title within the next 2-3 seasons.

Its in Liverpool's hands now, and if they win the last 9 games then congrats to them...fully deserved. And if City miraculously come from behind then good on them too.
And if we do it somehow then i hold my hands up and admit i was wrong.

Point is, plenty still to play for incl Europe.

I hope we bench Saka against Luton. Last thing we need is him getting injured now.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It’s just media noise. Almost everyone goes to the Etihad and loses, so given the stakes Arteta would be a fool to take risks. Anyway I think both teams played with visible caution, not just Arsenal.

It was a rather boring match but it’s unfair to blame Arteta alone for that.

It’s true that Liverpool were more willing to attack Man City and leave space open, and played out a thrilling 1-1, but at the end of the day we didn’t beat them either. And easily could have lost.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The media are probably just salty that they've once again hyped up a match as the be all and end all of the season, only to be disappointed.

It was a tactical battle as often is the case with top-level teams. We've seen it with Liverpool and City. Utd and Arsenal, Chelsea and Arsenal etc.

Its their fault really.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Easy games for whoever takes on Man United now because two of their best defenders are out due to injuries from the Brentford game. Martinez and Lindelof are both out for a month, possibly to the end of the season. This could be Coventry's chance to get into the FA Cup final. With many key defenders out I am sure Coventry will give it a go.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I see the British press are out with their usual nonsense this morning. Criticising us for being boring and not showing bravery.

These are the same clowns that called us bottlers and naive last season when we lost away and home to City. Because we opted to play football rather than sit back
Some even had the audacity to say City had injuries hence why they didn't win.

Meanwhile when we lost Saliba and Partey last season in both games, no one gave a toss about that, and instead continued with their bottling narrative.

Yesterday turned out how i pretty much predicted, hence i was more focused on the Women's final.

I respect what Arteta did. Better a point gained than 3 lost with a psychological blow. If we got 2 pts against City last season we would've won the league. This season we have 4 against City and 'Pool. And we're the first team to stop City scoring in 76 games.
Thats progression to me.

Whilst i still think it'll be too much of an ask this season given the fixture list. I'm fairly confident on current trajectory, we will win the title within the next 2-3 seasons.

Its in Liverpool's hands now, and if they win the last 9 games then congrats to them...fully deserved. And if City miraculously come from behind then good on them too.
And if we do it somehow then i hold my hands up and admit i was wrong.

Point is, plenty still to play for incl Europe.

I hope we bench Saka against Luton. Last thing we need is him getting injured now.

The media are probably just salty that they've once again hyped up a match as the be all and end all of the season, only to be disappointed.

It was a tactical battle as often is the case with top-level teams. We've seen it with Liverpool and City. Utd and Arsenal, Chelsea and Arsenal etc.

Its their fault really.
Actually, it was a masterclass in tactical preparation.

Was it aesthetically attractive? No.

However, in terms of containing - and suppressing any threat from - the dominant team in the Premier League, it was an example of excellence.

City have not defeated us this season, at all, (and, for that matter, City haven't taken many points from their immediate challengers).

Moreover, Arsenal strangled City (despite having approximately a quarter of the possession), held their positions, kept their heads and thereby ensured that for the first time in 58 games, City not only didn't win, but they failed to score on their home pitch.

The fact that Haaland was almost entirely irrelevant - and failed to make any sort of impact sdespite City's dominance in possession - in the game is testimony to the effectiveness of Arsenal's tactics in snuffing out any genuine threat on the part of City.

@Alphazoid is quite right: City may be beset by injuries, but, so are we.

And, last season, the absence of Partey and - above all - Saliba - proved very costly to our title challenge.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Actually, it was a masterclass in tactical preparation.

Was it aesthetically attractive? No.

However, in terms of containing - and suppressing any threat from - the dominant team in the Premier League, it was an example of excellence.

City have not defeated us this season, at all, (and, for that matter, City haven't taken many points from their immediate challengers).

Moreover, Arsenal strangled City (despite having approximately a quarter of the possession), held their positions, kept their heads and thereby ensured that for the first time in 58 games, City not only didn't win, but they failed to score on their home pitch.

The fact that Haaland was almost entirely irrelevant - and failed to make any sort of impact sdespite City's dominance in possession - in the game is testimony to the effectiveness of Arsenal's tactics in snuffing out any genuine threat on the part of City.

@Alphazoid is quite right: City may be beset by injuries, but, so are we.

And, last season, the absence of Partey and - above all - Saliba - proved very costly to our title challenge.
A testament to Arsenal is having Roy Keane saying Haaland looked like a league 2 player lol. That was how ineffective he was.

Reactions: daneoni
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.