Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Reading the linked news article I do not believe Southgate for one minute when he says there is no issue with White and Steve Holland or with Southgate because if there wasn't, why would White excuse himself from wanting to play for England if everything was OK? White is clearly good enough to be picked for England but he does not want to. He has a problem with someone in the England setup in my opinion. It could be with one of the coaching staff or one of the players that he does not want to be in the same squad with them.
It looks like the issue is with Southgate and his team. I doubt its an attitude problem on Ben's side since Arteta has shown he doesn't suffer fools/egos gladly by booting out Guendouzi, Pepe, and Aubameyang

And this video shows Ben White's love for England

Hence the ball rolls back to Southgate, who has consistently shown favouritism towards some players. The fact that he's again picked Rashford, Maguire, and Henderson says it all really.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool ended the second leg of their Europa League tie after six minutes at Anfield against Sparta Prague, were 4-0 up (9-1 on aggregate!) after 13 minutes, and finished the match 6-1 (11-2 aggregate). It was a rout.

I will say this -Sparta Prague’s away fans sang the whole match…they made more noise away at Anfield, 11-2 down on aggregate, than Man City fans do when 9-0 up at the Etihad. 🤣 fair play to them.

Hence the ball rolls back to Southgate, who has consistently shown favouritism towards some players. The fact that he's again picked Rashford, Maguire, and Henderson says it all

He won’t win anything either way, so it probably doesn’t matter. I’d argue Jarrell Quansah is better than Harry Maguire right now but he has zero chance of playing for England any time soon.

To be fair, he’s in the youth team and he should t be rushed through yet. But there’s a case for him as a senior international already.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It looks like the issue is with Southgate and his team. I doubt its an attitude problem on Ben's side since Arteta has shown he doesn't suffer fools/egos gladly by booting out Guendouzi, Pepe, and Aubameyang

And this video shows Ben White's love for England

Hence the ball rolls back to Southgate, who has consistently shown favouritism towards some players. The fact that he's again picked Rashford, Maguire, and Henderson says it all really.
I wonder if that could be one of the reasons why Ben doesn't want to be picked for England because he feels Southgate is picking players who do not deserve to be in the squad because remember, when Ben was picked for England he was picked on merit but yet the likes of Rashford, Maguire and Henderson are not. A good example is Kalvin Philips, dropped because he is not playing well for his club but so is Rashford, Maguire and Henderson, all 3 are not doing well for their clubs but Southgate has still picked them.

I've been in that situation when playing sports, picked for the team on merit and then come game day you see the manager/coach has picked player(s) who I have felt did not deserve to be in the team but got there because they are the managers/coach's 'favorites'. That causes me to get annoyed and not want to play because my belief is that players should be picked on merit and not favoritism. I am wondering if White feels the same and thus does not want to be picked for England for that reason.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Women's Champions League's Quarter Finals are upcoming - sorry it's not in Eng, but my devices are in Swedish. But not so hard to figure out 😉 Times in CET.
There are channels on YouTube, for the interested, that probably will stream most of these games.
Personally I will at least watch the Häcken and the Chealsea games - streamed on our SVT (national TV) that are pretty good in following women's football these days. Sometimes even better then the male football, the women are better in comparision internationally, as well.

IMG_1055.jpeg

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Women's Champions League's Quarter Finals are upcoming - sorry it's not in Eng, but my devices are in Swedish. But not so hard to figure out 😉 Times in CET.
There are channels on YouTube, for the interested, that probably will stream most of these games.
Personally I will at least watch the Häcken and the Chealsea games - streamed on our SVT (national TV) that are pretty good in following women's football these days. Sometimes even better then the male football, the women are better in comparision internationally, as well.

View attachment 2359180
I think Barcelona will be favorites again this year. Chelsea is in with a shout because they want to win it for their outgoing manager. Lyon are strong contenders also.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Speaking of Europe

36f8fad0-9afa-4b56-8c0d-a485b71a616a.jpeg

Bayern again…which I actually don’t mind since we can respond to the 10-2 drubbing. My only issue that if we win, our reward will be to face City or Madrid.

The draws also help Liverpool massively in the EPL run in given who they got compared to their rivals.

Probably too big an ask this year but should be interesting if nothing else

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014

View attachment 2359180
Probably Barca again

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And the slightly more important European draw.

1710533112843.png

So a Liverpool v West Ham finale is possible. But I’ve said all along Liverpool will win this trophy. They have too much strength in depth compared to the rest of us.

Reactions: daneoni

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Probably Barca again
Ah well, we're talking football here, this is not a betting site. They have to play about it!
Barca is without doubt a world class club, but there's always surprises, and young super talented players, that are on the move up that can rock things. I'm looking forward to watch as much as time allows.

Reactions: daneoni and brucemr

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sigh. I hate football. Stupid game.

Nice win for Nashville last night. Columbus also had a good weekend, brushing aside NY Energy Drinks 3-0.

I note that MLS matches featured a total of SIX red cards so far this week. o_O
Just caught the results. Sounds like it was a great game for the neutral.
But always disappointing to score 3 and lose.

Reactions: pachyderm

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It was entertaining. And fair play to Utd. They went for it. Liverpool just couldn't maintain control for some reason.

Opportunity for redemption for Poch, he has to win now.

Reactions: pachyderm

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
A classic FA cup game, great for the neutrals. United dug deep and wanted it more. Now they have Coventry in the semi final.

• Love
Reactions: Silencio

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
At least it's an easy game for the Midlanders.
Considering the effort United put in against Liverpool, if they fail to do the same against championship side Coventry and lose then I feel there is a serious chance of Ten Hag getting sacked in the summer because it is the only silverware United can play for. Loosing against a premiership side at the semi's is bad but it is still acceptable but a premiership team losing to a team in a league lower than them is not acceptable.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Price of football shirts in the UK are getting out of hand in my opinion. Just read this article about England releasing new shirts for Euro 2024 and the prices are terrible,
£84.99 for a what is considered a normal replica shirt and £124.99 for a player authentic shirt (shirts players actually wear during games which are slightly different to the standard replica non authentic shirts). Those are the type of prices you can expect to pay when looking for designer brand tops, certainly not for football tops.

What are the prices of your national team shirts, do you consider them expensive also?

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Our new 2024 shirt (by Nike) will be 149.99 euro or for your convenience (today) 128.38 pounds. The normal shirt (they call it "stadium") is 99.99 euro or 85.57 sterling.

The shirt is being launched the 21 so these are probably the highest prices it will ever be and, yes, they are pretty ridiculous. I don't know who buys this stuff.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Our new 2024 shirt (by Nike) will be 149.99 euro or for your convenience (today) 128.38 pounds. The normal shirt (they call it "stadium") is 99.99 euro or 85.57 sterling.

The shirt is being launched the 21 so these are probably the highest prices it will ever be and, yes, they are pretty ridiculous.
Agreed.

Greedy and outrageous.
I don't know who buys this stuff.
Actually, I don't know who buys (or, who can afford to buy) this stuff each season, or every year.

I know people who have bought a team shirt (or, were given one as a gift), and wore it for years.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
oh dear, this could get messy for Man United. Apparently the club is happy for Mason Greenwood to return to the club

Have the club learned nothing??. A number of players, club staff and many of the United Women's team refused to work at the club if Greenwood stayed hence why he was moved away. I seriously doubt those people's minds have changed on the matter.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
More tabloid fodder from The S*n and the M*tro. I'm still fairly confident Greenwood will never wear a United shirt again — they'll find a buyer for him, probably in Spain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.