Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Draw for the women's FA Cup seminal final has just been done and it turned out how I expected, holders Chelsea host Man United and Spurs host Leicester. I do think who ever wins out of Chelsea United game will win the FA Cup. Chelsea are still favorites though due to fact their manager is leaving at the end of the season and they want her to go out winning a few trophies.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This morning chatting to some football supporting friends, I made a comment about this post, I referred to it as 'Battle of the Billionaires' and said out of the two which one would you want to have lost, you know what they said? Man United. I replied 'what??!!', there response back was 'do not care if it did not involve United, we just want United to lose'. I just rolled my eyes and moved the conversation onto other things lol
Well, I am no fan of Manchester United, but, in this situation, that is irrelevant.

In any case, anytime that any of these bloated billionaire clubs are defeated, I have to smother a thrill of quite immoderate delight; the problem arises when two of them play one another.

Then, the dilemma becomes which of them I would prefer to see suffer defeat, and, sometimes, that answer is both, or, rather, I cannot decide which of them I would prefer to see defeated more.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Well, I am no fan of Manchester United, but, in this situation, that is irrelevant.

In any case, anytime that any of these bloated billionaire clubs are defeated, I have to smother a thrill of quite immoderate delight; the problem arises when two of them play one another.

Then, the dilemma becomes which of them I would prefer to see suffer defeat, and, sometimes, that answer is both, or, rather, I cannot decide which of them I would prefer to see defeated more.
So every time Chelsea or United was in the champions league you would hope they lose and leave the competition at the group stages? or did you put those feelings aside and instead root for an English team to win or was it still a case of I will root for an English team to win just as long as it is not Chelsea or Man United?.

I was never a fan of Liverpool but I always rooted for them to win in the champions league.

Reactions: brucemr

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So every time Chelsea or United was in the champions league you would hope they lose and leave the competition at the group stages? or did you put those feelings aside and instead root for an English team to win or was it still a case of I will root for an English team to win just as long as it is not Chelsea or Man United?.

I was never a fan of Liverpool but I always rooted for them to win in the champions league.
I do not at all care for (which, to be frank, means that I loathe), the state model of club ownership, (a which now includes Manchester City and, unfortunately, Newcastle United), and I have deeply disliked Chelsea ever since Roman Abramovich took ownership of the club, (a moral position, if you will; oligarchs do not remotely appeal to me), a stance that hasn't changed even though he was obliged to dispose of the club after (post invasion of Ukraine) sanctions took effect, and Todd Boehly - and the hilariously insane spending spree that ensued upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge - became the owner of the club.

Thus, their appearance in any international competition leaves me cold.

Liverpool and Manchester United are entirely different; depending on circumstances, (and competitions) I will wish them well.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Exactly what I expect of an opponent from Portugal - they're never going to blow you away offensively but they will be very, very tough to beat, and they will go the distance.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Great leadership from both captains. Odegaard really raised his game today. And Pepe at 41, was just ridiculous.

Portuguese teams are always difficult, it felt like Mourinho was still in Porto's dugout. It was exhausting to watch at times. And the ref was...interesting. Felt like a blood bath at times.

If any of the top clubs need wingbacks, they should go and poach the two from Porto who were outstanding and nullified Saka and Trossard.

Arteta again proven right with Raya, who probably had his best game in an Arsenal shirt

The next round is gonna be tasty seeing all the clubs involved.

I'd like both English clubs to avoid each other and any of the Madrid clubs...to aid progression into the semis

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Probably the worst team we've played this season in terms of dark arts and combative football.
That being said, they gave us a heck of a game. And i think coming through that test helps us massively.

Raya was imperious, and Odegaard was different gravy. How we have him for £35m is beyond me. Incredible signing.
Saka not great but did his job when it mattered.

Really glad we don't have to play an FA cup game this weekend. Also glad no new injuries...hopefully stays that way post international break.

I'll take PSG, PSV, Dortmund, Bayern or Barca next. But knowing our luck, it'll be City or either of the Madrid clubs

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It would be nice if both City and Arsenal can avoid each other, both win and again avoid each other in the semi's because it would be nice to have another all English champions league final again.

Reactions: daneoni

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Looking forward to see if the new Swedish National Team Captain for our guys, Jon Dahl Tomasson, will make them and their football better and enjoyable.

It can't be worse than how it was under Janne Andersson, so I have hopes and look forward to watch the coming matches of the guys, which I dropped some time ago due to real boredom of Janne and his attitudes that took the guys down to the C-division in National League.

Jon had a press conference just minutes ago. I like him this far.

Reactions: brucemr

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Probably the worst team we've played this season in terms of dark arts and combative football.
That being said, they gave us a heck of a game. And i think coming through that test helps us massively.

Raya was imperious, and Odegaard was different gravy. How we have him for £35m is beyond me. Incredible signing.
Saka not great but did his job when it mattered.

Really glad we don't have to play an FA cup game this weekend. Also glad no new injuries...hopefully stays that way post international break.

I'll take PSG, PSV, Dortmund, Bayern or Barca next. But knowing our luck, it'll be City or either of the Madrid clubs
It is the first time we have won a competitive knock-out match in Europe since 2010, 14 years ago.

I'm happy to progress and am impressed with the manner of our victory.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
9902_small.png
vs
10163_small.png

03/16

We need points! It won't be very easy at Portman Road...

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Quixote

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Games for who's in the quarter finals of the champions league are now in. I am hoping for these ties:

Man City v Real Madrid
Bayern Munich v PSG
Borussia Dortmund v Barcelona
Arsenal v Atletico Madrid

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I wouldn't like to see Arsenal go against Atlético Madrid.
They didn't fare that well against Porto and Atletico has some similarities but much more money invested on players.
They would do much better against Barcelona.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I wouldn't like to see Arsenal go against Atlético Madrid.
They didn't fare that well against Porto and Atletico has some similarities but much more money invested on players.
They would do much better against Barcelona.
As much as I would like to see an English team winning the champions league I also want there to be good competitive games and I felt Arsenal v Barcelona would be too much of an easy game for Arsenal.

Reactions: Don Quixote

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Ben White makes himself unavailable for England. Guess he won't play for England again whilst Southgate is Manager

With TAA, James and Trippier unavalable, Southgate will his options limited at RB.
Reading the linked news article I do not believe Southgate for one minute when he says there is no issue with White and Steve Holland or with Southgate because if there wasn't, why would White excuse himself from wanting to play for England if everything was OK? White is clearly good enough to be picked for England but he does not want to. He has a problem with someone in the England setup in my opinion. It could be with one of the coaching staff or one of the players that he does not want to be in the same squad with them.

Reactions: daneoni
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.