Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
2 of our best players in Sweden are back after injuries - Fridolina Rolfö and Magdalena Eriksson ⚽️⭐️
So we might have a chance in the Euro qualification in the 'group of death' against England, France, and Ireland. Hope so, they have truly been missed - it might be enjoyable to watch games again 🤩

View attachment 2356126

That is an absolutely brutal qualification group, but should make for some very compelling matches to watch. Ireland are no slouches themselves.

Reactions: Lioness~

adambrums

Suspended
Jan 2, 2016
Do you think Moyes will survive at West Ham? I like him and he does a pretty decent job with the resources he has.
My gut says if he can keep the Hammers mid-table or push for those European spots again, he'll be safe. Plus, finding a manager who can do more with the same resources isn't a given. So yeah, I'm leaning towards Moyes keeping his position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silencio

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
I think we have to include Arsenal this year its a three way fight. Unfortunately I don't see the Gooners tailing off like they did last year. Should be exciting. I hope Liverpool get over the injury issues quickly so that we can all enjoy the run in.

While everyone is watching that maybe Spurs can sneak into a CL spot? Wishful thinking and to be honest it may not actually do them any favours (Newcastle).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My gut says if he can keep the Hammers mid-table or push for those European spots again, he'll be safe. Plus, finding a manager who can do more with the same resources isn't a given. So yeah, I'm leaning towards Moyes keeping his position.
I honestly don't get the "Moyes Out" brigade.

Given the resources (players and money) at his disposal, he has done exceptionally well at West Ham, - they've had their best (and most successful) period since the legendary teams of the 1960s in recent years - and he seems to suit the club; to my mind - they would be very foolish to think of dispensing with his services.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I think we have to include Arsenal this year its a three way fight. Unfortunately I don't see the Gooners tailing off like they did last year. Should be exciting. I hope Liverpool get over the injury issues quickly so that we can all enjoy the run in.

While everyone is watching that maybe Spurs can sneak into a CL spot? Wishful thinking and to be honest it may not actually do them any favours (Newcastle).
I think it'll only be a three way fight if we literally win every game left...incl City. If Liverpool beat City this weekend i think they win the title.

Conversely, if City beat Liverpool and Arsenal then they win the title

Much as i'm enjoying our run, and the football we're playing, i still think City (or Liverpool) will win the title.

But i actually don't mind too much. I'm just enjoying the football we're playing right now, and the fact that even rival fans are forced to raise their eyebrow and acknowledge us.

I'm grateful for what Arteta has done, even though i was unsure of him after back to back 8th place finishes. But i was wrong. We're playing the best football i can remember since the Invincible's era. And players are improving under his tutelage.

If we continue on this trajectory, and get a striker in the summer, the trophies will inevitably come. The pieces are already falling into place.

If i was Moyes i would just walk away at the end of the season. He's done a monumental job. And i think West Ham fans are clouded by Brighton and Villa's over-achievements. Forgetting to be objective.

They've won a European trophy and are 7th ahead of Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea etc. But still discontent. Mind boggling to me.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think it'll only be a three way fight if we literally win every game left...incl City. If Liverpool beat City this weekend i think they win the title.
Yes, but the other teams also have to win each and every game; that is what makes it a three way fight.

No team is cantering to a coronation at the moment, it still remains a genuine contest.
Much as i'm enjoying our run, and the football we're playing, i still think City (or Liverpool) will win the title.
Well, the pressure is off, unlike last season; we're playing exceptionally well (crucially, at this time of the season, rather than earlier), moreover, with the focus (and subsequent scrutiny) - for different reasons, respectively, in each case, on the two teams lying immediately above us in the table.
But i actually don't mind too much. I'm just enjoying the football we're playing right now, and the fact that even rival fans are forced to raise their eyebrow and acknowledge us.

I'm grateful for what Arteta has done, even though i was unsure of him after back to back 8th place finishes. But i was wrong. We're playing the best football i can remember since the Invincible's era. And players are improving under his tutelage.
Agreed.
If we continue on this trajectory, and get a striker in the summer, the trophies will inevitably come. The pieces are already falling into place.
Agreed.

However, unlike last season, not only are we playing superbly, but, of equal importance, (for we suffered and stuttered when Saliba was injured), the key players who had suffered injuries earlier in the season (such as Partey, Timber, Tomiyasu) are all recovering nicely, and - with luck - should be increasingly available as the season draws to a close.

That can only serve to improve the team and give it greater strength in depth.
If i was Moyes i would just walk away at the end of the season. He's done a monumental job. And i think West Ham fans are clouded by Brighton and Villa's over-achievements. Forgetting to be objective.

They've won a European trophy and are 7th ahead of Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea etc. But still discontent. Mind boggling to me.
Couldn't agree more with you.

Very well said.

Reactions: Alphazoid

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I was watching a number of fan West Ham fan channels on social media to see what the problem is with Moyes and my gosh have they got delusions of grandeur because everyone one of them was of the opinion that they should be winning the majority of their games and therefore be up there in the top 4 competing for the league title but because they are not they are saying Moyes should go!!.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was watching a number of fan West Ham fan channels on social media to see what the problem is with Moyes and my gosh have they got delusions of grandeur because everyone one of them was of the opinion that they should be winning the majority of their games and therefore be up there in the top 4 competing for the league title but because they are not they are saying Moyes should go!!.
I’d not follow that train of thought. Breaking into the top six is very difficult. At the start of the season it felt like we would be lucky to finish 7-8th. But here we are two thirds of the season gone and that’s where we are.
We might not finish there, but we are in the hunt for a European spot at least.
And still in this years Europa League. Although we all know who will win it!

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Yes, but the other teams also have to win each and every game; that is what makes it a three way fight.

No team is cantering to a coronation at the moment, it still remains a genuine contest.

Well, the pressure is off, unlike last season; we're playing exceptionally well (crucially, at this time of the season, rather than earlier), moreover, with the focus (and subsequent scrutiny) - for different reasons, respectively, in each case, on the two teams lying immediately above us in the table.

Agreed.

Agreed.

However, unlike last season, not only are we playing superbly, but, of equal importance, (for we suffered and stuttered when Saliba was injured), the key players who had suffered injuries earlier in the season (such as Partey, Timber, Tomiyasu) are all recovering nicely, and - with luck - should be increasingly available as the season draws to a close.

That can only serve to improve the team and give it greater strength in depth.

Couldn't agree more with you.

Very well said.
I just think we have a draw away at Spurs, Brighton, Wolves or Villa in us. Whilst the other 2 could easily win the rest of their games outside of the head to heads.

But we'll see.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
10163_small.png
vs
8463_small.png

03/08/24

Reactions: Don Quixote

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Looking at the results of the USWNT since the world cup, they have been on fire. Yes they have lost two games but man the results they are pulling out!!!. Someone has given them a right kick up the backside and it seems to have worked.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden

The road to Women’s EURO 2025 in Switzerland begins soon.

1709825648900.jpeg

Sweden and England are in the same group, and will play each other soon.

5 april: England–Sverige

16 July: Sverige–England

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
USWNT has righted the ship in the Gold Cup after that disastrous loss to Mexico. After beating Canada on penalties, with Naeher saving three and scoring one herself, they're in to the finals against Brazil.

I was surprised by the los ls to Mexico, so this was a must-win against Canada.

The road to Women’s EURO 2025 in Switzerland begins soon.

View attachment 2356533

Sweden and England are in the same group, and will play each other soon.

5 april: England–Sverige

16 July: Sverige–England

That’s a really tough group. I didn’t really have a sense of where France are right now, but while Ireland are I think the weakest team none of those opponents look easy.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I was surprised by the los ls to Mexico, so this was a must-win against Canada.

That’s a really tough group. I didn’t really have a sense of where France are right now, but while Ireland are I think the weakest team none of those opponents look easy.
The funny thing is that it's fans, reporters and people discussing this on forums who say these things, 'Oh, such a tough group etc! I've never heard players say something like that.

Players really love to play those tough matches, it makes them become just better. It's what they do and love to do. They don't sit and say, 'oh what a tough group we got into' 😢

They are professionals, and LOVE the toughest games the most - it gets them charged and challenged.
Their mindset is: dang, this will be awesome and so much fun - on both sides!
Most of them know each other quite well, and have played in same clubs at some occasions etc.
They are probably sitting and telling each other stories and discussing what players they should nutmeg the best and how, at this time 😉

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool had a little bit of an adventure in Prague. At the end of the day it was a resounding win, but Sparta fashioned a bucketload of chances. They should have scored at least one more and could have scored four or five.

At the end of the day Liverpool were clinical with finishing their chances and likely wrapped up the tie 5-1, with all goals coming from Liverpool players (poor Bradley netting an OG for Prague with his first touch after subbing in). This matters as Klopp will probably need to put out a very weakened team in the second leg, sandwiched as it is between league derbies against both Manchester clubs.

Without van Dijk the defense always looks shaky and today was no exception, it was a hair-raising first half with Konate and Quansah in the middle. Konate picked up what looks like a muscle injury, so add that to the long list. Salah is back in action and grabbed a goal. We'll need him this weekend.

Two great goals today from Nunez - despite all the slow start / early criticism he is coming good and will post great numbers this season. It is interesting to note that he still catches heat for missing a lot of chances - even though Haaland is actually very close in terms of wastefulness. Both of them make things happen all by themselves, and I think that is worth the missed chances on balance.

The funny thing is that it's fans, reporters and people discussing this on forums who say these things, 'Oh, such a tough group etc! I've never heard players say something like that.

Players really love to play those tough matches, it makes them become just better. It's what they do and love to do. They don't sit and say, 'oh what a tough group we got into' 😢

I agree...let the fans and manager worry about the opposition, the players are always eager to face off against the best. That is the mentality you want from your squad.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I agree...let the fans and manager worry about the opposition, the players are always eager to face off against the best. That is the mentality you want from your squad.
The only ones that I DON'T want us to meet anywhere again, is Spain.
It still hurts how we had the game at 3-1, after 1st half. Spain won with 5-3, last year.
Total colapse of the Swedish team in 2nd half was not fun at all.
Spain won the Nations Leaugue Gold.
Somewhere we will have to play them again, but lets hope it's in a final then.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Gotta have this one...
I had to google those pics, because I had no idea what teams that is.
Sorry I have no idea or nor keep I track on most clubs abroad, especially if they don’t have good Women’s team that I heard of.
But I made an effort 💪🏼
Sheffield and Leeds United, right?

Very nice mascot 😁

220px-Ozzieowl.jpg

Both clubs have Women’s team too, that I haven’t heard of.

• Love
Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.