Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Relax? I think you and I could play the second half for Arsenal and you’d still walk it!
Well, while I am happy to relax, (I hate that nail gnawing tension of some games, though I know that this is what some supporters live for), I do hope that the team does not now decide to relax until the final whistle has been blown.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Well for the past two seasons we have seen clubs come into the new year with a commanding lead only for the team to capitulate and Man City overtake them. It happened to Arsenal last season and to Liverpool the season before that. Granted it is much closer this season and I can see it going down to the wire be it on the last day provided all teams keep the pressure on and keep on winning. At this stage, a draw is all it would take to decide who wins the league and who doesn't.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well for the past two seasons we have seen clubs come into the new year with a commanding lead only for the team to capitulate and Man City overtake them. It happened to Arsenal last season and to Liverpool the season before that. ....
I'm not sure that I would concur with the verb "capitulate" for either Liverpool or Arsenal.

"Stumble", and "stutter", being unable to sustain that pace and momentum, - while suffering injuries to key players - does not equate to "capitulation".

However, this season, for different reasons, both Liverpool and Arsenal are motivated and better prepared, while there is a sense that Manchester City, while formidable, are not unbeatable, and that their cantering procession to securing another title is not, as yet, an inevitability.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Just read something interesting about the Real Madrid v Valencia match.

I saw a video clip of the issue and there is calls of match fixing by the referee because literally just 1-2 seconds before a winning goal is scored by Jude Bellingham, the referee blows his whistle for the end of the game. You can clearly see that the ball is heading into the net but as the ball traverses towards the goal the ref blows his whistle thereby preventing a winning goal by Madrid.

We have seen many many times before in games when at the dying seconds of the match and with one team posed for a goal scoring opportunity, the referee has allowed the game to continue just that little bit longer so see out that opportunity and then we see the referee blow the whistle for end of the match. This was not the case in the Madrid game because as soon as the time on the clock said game is over the referee blew his whistle regardless of what was taking place before him.

Now questions are being asked, was the referee correct to apply the law of the game so vigorously and end the match as soon as the clock hit the time telling the ref the match was over knowing that one team was in a very good scoring position or should the referee have done what is customary and allowed the game to continue just that little bit longer?

In my opinion the referee was wrong.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I saw a video clip of the issue and there is calls of match fixing by the referee because literally just 1-2 seconds before a winning goal is scored by Jude Bellingham

The Spanish have made a hobby out of claiming ref mistakes are the result of match fixing. Granted, we do know match fixing takes place from time to time (ahem, looking at you now, Barca?) so I’m not dismissing the idea out of hand.

But the fact that Real fans indulge in this is laughable. If there is an active conspiracy to fix matches against Real Madrid, it is the least effective conspiracy of all time. They need to get over themselves.

Once in injury time, the ref is within the letter of the law to stop the match even if a promising attack is taking place. Obviously refs try to blow up at more neutral moments, so while this could certainly be seen as a poor decision in the absence of extenuating circumstance, screaming conspiracy is hardly justified.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
10163_small.png
1- 0
8401_small.png

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
One win from safety! The bottom of the Championship is so close. Apart from Rotherham it really is all to play for. View attachment 2356031
Looking at the table, considering Sheff Wednesday have lost more games than anyone else, the odds are not in their favor. The surprise in that bunch for me is Huddersfield. With only 13 loses, that would normally have put them middle of the table but they are in a relegation battle due to drawing too many of their games.

edited due to wording error.
edited due to another error

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Quixote

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looking at the table, considering you have lost more games than anyone else, the odds are not in your favor. The surprise in that bunch for me is Huddersfield. With only 13 loses, that would normally have put them middle of the table but they are in a relegation battle due to drawing too many of their games.
My favour? I’m not even in that league! West Ham supporter here.

• Haha
Reactions: Don Quixote

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Looking at the table, considering Sheff United have lost more games than anyone else, the odds are not in their favor. The surprise in that bunch for me is Huddersfield. With only 13 loses, that would normally have put them middle of the table but they are in a relegation battle due to drawing too many of their games.

edited due to wording error.
Sheffield Wednesday, (and not Sheffield United, who are currently struggling in a higher division), I assume you mean.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I wonder if the situation of Birmingham City council going bankrupt and now having to make major cut backs on services and 21% increase in council tax will have an impact of Birmingham's players that live in the city because the changes by the council are going to affect them as well as everyone one else in the city. I wonder if it will mess with their minds and thus affect their game play thus affecting the team and them losing more games.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
2 of our best players in Sweden are back after injuries - Fridolina Rolfö and Magdalena Eriksson ⚽️⭐️
So we might have a chance in the Euro qualification in the 'group of death' against England, France, and Ireland. Hope so, they have truly been missed - it might be enjoyable to watch games again 🤩

IMG_1031.jpeg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wonder if the situation of Birmingham City council going bankrupt and now having to make major cut backs on services and 21% increase in council tax will have an impact of Birmingham's players that live in the city because the changes by the council are going to affect them as well as everyone one else in the city. I wonder if it will mess with their minds and thus affect their game play thus affecting the team and them losing more games.
As someone who works in Birmingham, I doubt they will have given it much thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.