Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Forest will feel unlucky but they did have their chances and didn’t take them. 1-0 either way or a draw would all have been fair results.

The drop ball call will always be controversial but, as Klopp pointed out, a similar incident happened in the first half that went the opposite way. Both arguably mistakes but only one resulted in a goal. It was a tight game that hinged on small margins.

Forest’s owner apparently had to be removed from the tunnel by security after the match.

I would t say Forest were cheated out of points there, but the fans have a right to be frustrated about the result. Granted, some of those same fans were chanting ‘you’re just a **** Andy Carrol’ at Nunez moments before he scored, so my sympathy is real but measured. 🤣
I can't help thinking that football should not be an exact science. Referre's are human they make mistakes. So do players and coaches. Plus for every 'shocking' decision a ref makes there are often a raft of howling missed chances for the aggrieved team. Why don't we just accept the game for what it is and don't over think it?

Just look at the past issues when VAR was not even a twinkle in anyones eye. The 1966 World Cup final. Maradonna's hand of god. Just let it go and get on with the game.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a long suffering Spurs supporter my only love for Liverpool is ensuring Arsenal do not win anything ;)
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

As an occasionally deeply suffering Arsenal supporter, I do not indulge in the dislike of Spurs that so afflicts some of my fellow supporters. Supporting one team need not (always, or, even often), mean that you wish ill upon their nearest and dearest geographical (and traditional) rivals.

And, at the time, I regretted that Mauricio Pochettino failed to win any trophies while he was with the club.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you think Moyes will survive at West Ham? I like him and he does a pretty decent job with the resources he has.
I’ve heard there is an offer on the table.
We’ve won our last two games and are in the last 16 in Europe (again!).
If we progress in Europe 100%. If the league form dips again I think he’ll still keep his job to the end of the year.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
At the Etihad, Manchester City equalise early (Foden the scorer) in the second half, after Manchester United had taken an early lead (thanks to Marcus Rashford) in the Manchester derby.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And, perhaps inevitably, Manchester City expose the gulf in class between themselves and Manchester United, and claim victory by three goals to one, at the Manchester derby, in the Etihad.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man City will like where they are, all the pressure is on a depleted Liverpool squad to win out the season if they want to win the title. Liverpool will drop points during the run-in and I think Man City will win the league, but for the moment at least Liverpool have the initiative.

And again on the drop ball incident against Forest - refs make mistakes, even with VAR. it is impossible to eliminate human error from the game unless you eliminate the humans. Even if we set up a tribunal to review and alter match results after the fact, with all the video evidence at hand, people would still interpret things differently and occasionally get things ‘wrong.’ Perfection is unachievable.

It is infuriating to be on the wrong end of bad calls. Liverpool lost three points against Spurs earlier this season due to a far worse error. So some will say the results are all invalid, but if the minimum threshold is zero errors, well, that's not going to happen.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Man City will like where they are, all the pressure is on a depleted Liverpool squad to win out the season if they want to win the title. Liverpool will drop points during the run-in and I think Man City will win the league, but for the moment at least Liverpool have the initiative.

And again on the drop ball incident against Forest - refs make mistakes, even with VAR. it is impossible to eliminate human error from the game unless you eliminate the humans. Even if we set up a tribunal to review and alter match results after the fact, with all the video evidence at hand, people would still interpret things differently and occasionally get things ‘wrong.’ Perfection is unachievable.

It is infuriating to be on the wrong end of bad calls. Liverpool lost three points against Spurs earlier this season due to a far worse error. So some will say the results are all invalid, but if the minimum threshold is zero errors, well, that's not going to happen.
Oh absolutely there will always be errors. I’ve always believed they mostly cancel one out over the season.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Pogba was one of the most frustrating players I’ve ever seen. So good when he was fit and motivated, and seemingly not a bad guy, but his career got destroyed by injuries, lack of motivation, bad advice and bad decisions. A real shame.

Maybe things would've gone better for him if he's stayed at Juve, but that team was ideally set up for him, just like the French national team when they were at their peak and won the World Cup. When Pirlo and the rest of the supporting midfield declined, I think Pogba would've had the same issues in Turin that he did in Manchester, sadly.

Pogba was the "cherry on top" player that made a great team transcendent, but without the ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate syrup below him to do the hard work, he didn't provide enough to make a good sundae on his own.
Well done!

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
8119_small.png
0 - 1
10163_small.png

Looks like the two above won or drew... meh!

Ike Ugbo is a beast!
He's got 10 goals so far with us!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Forest will feel unlucky but they did have their chances and didn’t take them. 1-0 either way or a draw would all have been fair results.
Agreed.
Man City will like where they are, all the pressure is on a depleted Liverpool squad to win out the season if they want to win the title.
Yes, but Liverpool are still at the head of the table; if they can sustain their current form, they will remain at the top.

Manchester City - who have bottomless resources, agreed, - still have to overtake them.
Liverpool will drop points during the run-in and I think Man City will win the league, but for the moment at least Liverpool have the initiative.
Manchester City are not perfect, although the return of some of their key players from injury will benefit them.

Still, for now, they lie second, and Liverpool are determined and focussed and playing superbly as a team.

Agreed.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Will it be a case of deja vu again?, Liverpool sitting top of the league, they start to drop points and City leapfrog over them to win the league again.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was a post you quoted by LordBlackadder where he mentioned Liverpool will lose points and Man City will overtake them. That happened to Liverpool back in 2022 where they eventually lost out to City by 1 point.
Yes, I remember.

But, it doesn't have to be that way, and nor is such an outcome inevitable.

Just (perhaps) likely.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It was a post you quoted by LordBlackadder where he mentioned Liverpool will lose points and Man City will overtake them. That happened to Liverpool back in 2022 where they eventually lost out to City by 1 point.
I’ll never forget that day. One of my Liverpool supporter colleagues booked the day off to go to watch the PL trophy open bus celebration! 😝

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I’ll never forget that day. One of my Liverpool supporter colleagues booked the day off to go to watch the PL trophy open bus celebration! 😝

I wish I could be that much of an optimist. As a confirmed cynic I, I admit I would love to feel the warm embrace of optimism more often. I just really hate to be disappointed, as your colleague no doubt was.

...and studies have shown that being a sports fan involves more pain than pleasure. Even Real fans seem to be grumpy most of the time, although I am not sure what they have to be upset about, apart from not winning 100% of the time...

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I remember West Ham stopping United from winning a 3rd successive title on the last day of the 94-95 season with the title going to Blackburn Rovers even though they lost to Liverpool in the dying seconds of the match. United needed Blackburn to lose against Liverpool and United need to win against West Ham. Blackburn lost to Liverpool 2-1 but West Ham held United to a draw and thus the league trophy going to Backburn in a case of them winning the league by 1 point over United.

Worse still for United is when they lost to City on goal difference on the last day of the 2011-12 season.

I wonder if United fans had done the same as your work colleague 😄

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I wish I could be that much of an optimist. As a confirmed cynic I, I admit I would love to feel the warm embrace of optimism more often. I just really hate to be disappointed, as your colleague no doubt was.

...and studies have shown that being a sports fan involves more pain than pleasure. Even Real fans seem to be grumpy most of the time, although I am not sure what they have to be upset about, apart from not winning 100% of the time...
That is probably why they are grumpy because they are not winning 100% of the time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

lol. Trying being a West Ham fan. You have to lower your expectations!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I remember West Ham stopping United from winning a 3rd successive title on the last day of the 94-95 season with the title going to Blackburn Rovers even though they lost to Liverpool in the dying seconds of the match. United needed Blackburn to lose against Liverpool and United need to win against West Ham. Blackburn lost to Liverpool 2-1 but West Ham held United to a draw and thus the league trophy going to Backburn in a case of them winning the league by 1 point over United.

Worse still for United is when they lost to City on goal difference on the last day of the 2011-12 season.

I wonder if United fans had done the same as your work colleague 😄
I remember watching that game well. AF was livid that we played with so much passion that day as I recall!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
More than comfortable! The Gunners are smashing the Blades 4-0 already and they aren’t even half an hour in.

lol. Trying being a West Ham fan. You have to lower your expectations!
Oh trust me, I understand. I grew up in a city with three top division teams. Since 1950 they have accumulated exactly one championship between them out of 219 seasons played.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.