Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
In an interview with the Swedes they revealed their tactics against Japan: 'don’t give them the ball'.
Great tactic - so there is good and high spirits in the team.

Pic only from Interview with Japanese player Maika Hamano below, who plays in the Swedish team, Hammarby. She said the Swedes is very physically strong with great game control.
It’s not possible to not love these Japanese players, they are Super charming.
It was a video in English that obviously didn’t work, so copyrighted.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Look at City, they have a captain that behaves as a captain, they have a manager that is strict but firm, players do not behave as individuals and what do we see as a result of it, a persistent winning team. United were once like that and now look at them, what a mess.

I'm actually very impressed at how quickly Erik ten Hag has cleaned up the utter mess he walked into. He brought in Lisandro and Casemiro, both strong personalities who are not shy about holding their teammates accountable. I already see that same quality in Andre Onana. He utterly stamped his authority on the squad by dealing decisively with Ronaldo. He probably played the Maguire situation as well as he could. Finishing third and winning a trophy last season felt well ahead of schedule for me.

Bruno has some good leadership by example qualities. I hope him having the armband on a permanent basis will inspire him to cut back on the whining a bit and channel his energies more effectively. I think the fans put more stock in the armband than the players do, TBH. Two years ago, United lacked strong characters who were driven by the will to win, and now they've got them all over the pitch.

They still need a top class #9 to be a real title contender. I get the feeling Kane doesn't really want to go to Bayern, but I have a hard time seeing United stumping that kind of money for him, either. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

They still need a top class #9 to be a real title contender. I get the feeling Kane doesn't really want to go to Bayern, but I have a hard time seeing United stumping that kind of money for him, either. Guess we'll see soon enough.
I think United would have stumped up the money because the media gave the impression that United were seriously interested in Kane but any interest in him instantly went to zero when Spurs owner in an interview said he would not sell Kane to a PL rival and United is a rival.

It was only a couple of days ago that the media reported on Bayern making a 4th bid of £94 million. Now the media are reporting that Spurs and Bayern have agreed a deal in 'principle' of above £84 million. Then you compare that to the price United paid for Rasmus Højlund, a wet behind the ears rookie striker who only got his first international game back in October of last year!!!. Either United got ripped off or Kane is being priced low because of his age and 1 year left on his contract.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I'm waiting for the Harry-to-Bayern process to go awry with, as a consequence, the player remaining at Spurs but not signing a new contract. Next season, a persistent yet currently realistic Manchester United reap the reward and get their man. Fingers crossed.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
In an interview with the Swedes they revealed their tactics against Japan: 'don’t give them the ball'.
Great tactic - so there is good and high spirits in the team.

Pic only from Interview with Japanese player Maika Hamano below, who plays in the Swedish team, Hammarby. She said the Swedes is very physically strong with great game control.
It’s not possible to not love these Japanese players, they are Super charming.
It was a video in English that obviously didn’t work, so copyrighted.

Japan is not naturally blessed with many tall female players unlike the Swedish team. Also the Japanese female players are not known to be 'physically' built like Swedish players are either but they do have speed on their side.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I'm waiting for the Harry-to-Bayern process to go awry with, as a consequence, the player remaining at Spurs but not signing a new contract. Next season, a persistent yet currently realistic Manchester United reap the reward and get their man. Fingers crossed.
That is a very good possibility because he or his agent would know that United were seriously interested in him (according to the media) and it was only United and Bayern who had shown any real interest in him. So if he does see out his contract and go for a free I wonder how many other PL clubs would bid for him knowing he would be free to join whatever team he wants.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Japan is not naturally blessed with many tall female players unlike the Swedish team. Also the Japanese female players are not known to be 'physically' built like Swedish players are either but they do have speed on their side.
With that said, the Japanese team were pretty physical in their last couple of matches - they force turnovers and counterattack through strong challenges and excellent positional play.
This should be a fascinating game

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting news re David de Gea; it seems that he may yet end up with Real Madrid (due to an ACL injury suffered on Thursday morning - 10th August - by Thibaut Courtois).

And rumours, whispers, hints, on Twitter (yes, I know) seem to suggest that Harry Kane may actually accept the offer from Bayern.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Interesting news re David de Gea; it seems that he may yet end up with Real Madrid (due to an ACL injury suffered on Thursday morning - 10th August - by Thibaut Courtois).

And rumours, whispers, hints, on Twitter (yes, I know) seem to suggest that Harry Kane may actually accept the offer from Bayern.
I thought the Rice saga carried on for too long. But compared to the Kane transfer…..

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I thought the Rice saga carried on for too long. But compared to the Kane transfer…..
You mention the Rice saga, depending on which news media you look at, some are predicting west Ham to get relegated based on the fact that even with their best player Declan Rice, the club was nearly relegated and now they have lost their best player and not replaced him with anyone substantial, it is predicted that West Ham will struggle again this season and again be close to relegation or even relegated.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Liverpool look like they'll get Caicedo for £110m. Brighton get their demand in the end. And Chelsea now like mugs for diddling around.

But Boehly might offer £115m. Its turn into a late bidding war.

Kane to Bayern also done.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
There's no reason for him to stay. Forget the goalscoring record and go and win trophies and play in the UCL.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
There's no reason for him to stay. Forget the goalscoring record and go and win trophies and play in the UCL.
Kane only needs to move to Bayern if he thinks his England place is under threat because England managers like to have the majority of the players playing in European competitions because the managers believe the players will come up against tougher opponents which will help improve their experience and skill levels. Kane no longer has that with Spurs. If you read players biographies, especially those who played for their country you will get to realize that when a transfer takes place, one of the people the player talks to is the national coach to see if moving put's their position under threat. I therefore have no doubt Kane would have spoken to Southgate about the move and if staying to see out his career not having European football would put his position in the team under threat. If he moves then in my opinion he's doing so to keep his England position because everything else coming out of Kane is negative because he is worried how such a move abroad will affect his family, he pregnant wife and their children.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I thought Japan would edge this one but nope. I was also wrong about the Spain game because I thought the Dutch would beat Spain. Will be an interesting semi final Sweden v Spain. Difficult one to call but I am going to go for Sweden.

Sweden - Spain history:
10 matches played, Sweden have won 7 matches, 3 even, no loss, with a goal difference is 32-6
So it looks very good on the paper, but we're gonna play this semi before we've won it.
Spain did good against Netherlands.

But I believe in our team ⚽♥️

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Kane only needs to move to Bayern if he thinks his England place is under threat because England managers like to have the majority of the players playing in European competitions because the managers believe the players will come up against tougher opponents which will help improve their experience and skill levels. Kane no longer has that with Spurs. If you read players biographies, especially those who played for their country you will get to realize that when a transfer takes place, one of the people the player talks to is the national coach to see if moving put's their position under threat. I therefore have no doubt Kane would have spoken to Southgate about the move and if staying to see out his career not having European football would put his position in the team under threat. If he moves then in my opinion he's doing so to keep his England position because everything else coming out of Kane is negative because he is worried how such a move abroad will affect his family, he pregnant wife and their children.
I very much doubt that Harry Kane's (prominent) place in the England team is under threat.

Were he to be persuaded to stay at Spurs, his first team place would be assured - he is not just the team's talisman and best player (and highest goal-scorer), he has taken the responsibility of attempting to persuade Spurs to play above themselves, a strategy (thrugh no fault of Kane's) that only came unstuck in the past season.

What is peculiar (and, if true, must contribute to an atmosphere of distrust and bad faith in Spurs) is the (rumoured?) story about how Kane has been prevented (at the last minute) from flying to meet Bayern in Munich to undergo a medical.

It is not in the interest of Spurs , the team - the club to seek to antagonise, or otherwise frustrate, Kane; these dealings must leave a bad taste.

For, if they do compel him to stay, - for the good of the club, and for their league campaign - notwithstanding Kane's obvious professionalism, it is not intelligent, it is not prudent, to have done so in such a manner.

Reactions: Silencio

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I very much doubt that Harry Kane's (prominent) place in the England team is under threat.

Were he to be persuaded to stay at Spurs, his first team place would be assured - he is not just the team's talisman and best player (and highest goal-scorer), he has taken the responsibility of attempting to persuade Spurs to play above themselves, a strategy (thrugh no fault of Kane's) that only came unstuck in the past season.

What is peculiar (and, if true, must contribute to an atmosphere of distrust and bad faith in Spurs) is the (rumoured?) story about how Kane has been prevented (at the last minute) from flying to meet Bayern in Munich to undergo a medical.

It is not in the interest of Spurs , the team - the club to seek to antagonise, or otherwise frustrate, Kane; these dealings must leave a bad taste.

For, if they do compel him to stay, - for the good of the club, and for their league campaign - notwithstanding Kane's obvious professionalism, it is not intelligent, it is not prudent, to have done so in such a manner.
Remember the Declan Rice saga?, his transfer was held up because West Ham was not happy with the way Arsenal wanted the transfer payments to be made. Reading the articles about Kane and the last minute stoppage at the airport, it appears Spurs are doing the same, holding up the transfer because they are not happy with the terms of the transfer.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I feel like Levy's delays were solely to milk more out of Bayern, possibly to make sure the Kane transfer fee isn't eclipsed by what Brighton is about to get for Moises Caicedo. I am so glad United decided from the jump not to play ball with Levy.

Speaking of Caicedo, that is one messy situation between the player, Brighton, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Brighton put Caicedo up at a straight auction and Pool put in the highest bid, but Caicedo insists on honoring his word to Chelsea and going to the Bridge. So now Chelsea must up their offer to Brighton. The sums are positively eye-watering: £110M! Caicedo is a very good player I have long followed and admired, and he is arguably a player both clubs desperately need, but that's an insane sum of money that no logic can justify.

Whoever loses out on Caicedo is going to get absolutely rinsed by Soton for Romeo Lavia.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I feel like Levy's delays were solely to milk more out of Bayern, possibly to make sure the Kane transfer fee isn't eclipsed by what Brighton is about to get for Moises Caicedo. I am so glad United decided from the jump not to play ball with Levy.

Speaking of Caicedo, that is one messy situation between the player, Brighton, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Brighton put Caicedo up at a straight auction and Pool put in the highest bid, but Caicedo insists on honoring his word to Chelsea and going to the Bridge. So now Chelsea must up their offer to Brighton. The sums are positively eye-watering: £110M! Caicedo is a very good player I have long followed and admired, and he is arguably a player both clubs desperately need, but that's an insane sum of money that no logic can justify.

Whoever loses out on Caicedo is going to get absolutely rinsed by Soton for Romeo Lavia.
Actually, I'd imagine that Caciedo may wish to stay in the south, specifically, in London, (rather than heading up to the wet and miserable weather of north west England, the genius of Klopp notwithstanding), and, now that Chelsea have enticed Pochettino to man the helm at the club, and may put an end to the madness found there during recent seasons, there is also the attraction of a good manager to play under.

Having said that, it is clear that with the Kane transfer, and, obviously, the Caciedo transfer, that the "record" set by Arsenal earlier this summer when they bought Declan Rice from West Ham (in other words, the most money ever paid for a domestic transfer in England) will be eclipsed by what happens over the coming days, and that Arsenal's purchase of Rice will merely set a club record (no bad thing, after the expensive debacle of signing Nicolas Pepe, which was our previous club record).

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
So Moisés Caicedo just rejected Liverpool and let’s all just laugh at Jamie Carragher’s reaction.

Correct me if Im wrong so Liverpool’s bid of £100m plus is ok for 21 year old but if Chelsea comes in with higher or same number its insane 🤣.

IMG_0006.png

IMG_0007.png

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So Moisés Caicedo just rejected Liverpool and let’s all just laugh at Jamie Carragher’s reaction.

Correct me if Im wrong so Liverpool’s bid of £100m plus is ok for 21 year old but if Chelsea comes in with higher or same number its insane 🤣.

View attachment 2244587

View attachment 2244589
To be fair, where would you rather live? Chelsea or Liverpool (on a PL’s wage of course!).

Reactions: Sal09
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.