Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To be fair, where would you rather live? Chelsea or Liverpool (on a PL’s wage of course!).
I have already made that very point; the myriad attractions of London may well win out over the dubious delights of Liverpool's endless drizzle.

Mind you, Chelsea have already spent an absolute fortune over the past few tarnsfer windows.

However, having said that, I would have liked to have seen Caciedo head to Liverpool in preference to Chelsea; while Mauricio Pochettino is an excellent manager, (or, rather, he was, while he was with Spurs), I must admit to a liking for Klopp.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have already made that very point; the myriad attractions of London may well win out over the dubious delights of Liverpool's endless drizzle.

Mind you, Chelsea have already spent an absolute fortune over the past few tarnsfer windows.

However, having said that, I would have liked to have seen Caciedo head to Liverpool in preference to Chelsea; while Mauricio Pochettino is an excellent manager, (or, rather, he was, while he was with Spurs), I must admit to a liking for Klopp.
I like anyone other than the greedy six, so I have no preference.
Hopefully Burnley get a result tonight!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I like anyone other than the greedy six, so I have no preference.
Actually, I think that the idea of - or, the appalling concept of - the Super League is a (profoundly dangerous) virus that may yet re-visit us, in a fresh form, but unfortunately doubled in virulent force.

What if the sportswashing countries with their bottomless funds attempted to establish something of that sort?

We've seen a depressing trek of players (some of whom I had respected at one stage) and ex-players find their way to that part of the world over this summer, enticed by surreal stratospheric sums of money.

How many clubs (and yes, including West Ham were they to be in a position to be wooed) would seriously resist such seductive overtures?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hopefully Burnley get a result tonight!
Likewise.

Leaving aside Arsenal's position as possible challengers this season, for different reasons, reasons to do with sportswashing, and the idea that one team dominatng a league to this extent is profoundly unhealthy, I hope anyone and everyone defeat Manchester City this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Likewise.

Leaving aside Arsenal's position as possible challengers this season, for different reasons, reasons to do with sportswashing, and the idea that one team dominatng a league to this extent is profoundly unhealthy, I hope anyone and everyone defeat Manchester City this season.
Amen to that. Especially if they are in East London!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Actually, I think that the idea of - or, the appalling concept of - the Super League is a (profoundly dangerous) virus that may yet re-visit us, in a fresh form, but unfortunately doubled in virulent force.

What if the sportswashing countries with their bottomless funds attempted to establish something of that sort?

We've seen a depressing trek of players (some of whom I had respected at one stage) and ex-players find their way to that part of the world over this summer, enticed by surreal stratospheric sums of money.

How many clubs (and yes, including West Ham were they to be in a position to be wooed) would seriously resist such seductive overtures?
I can only hope it doesn’t. But who knows. Hopefully enough people will resist the lure of the obscene amount of money that is being thrown around.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You only have to live there for a few years but you will have forever been a Liverpool player.
There is considerable truth in this.

Actually, I know people who have studied in Liverpool, even at postgrad level, and who subsequently fell in love with the city and became passionate Liverpool supporters as a result.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
KDB already injured and looks exhausted.

A chunk of last season's benchers are starters today.

City's squad looks a wee bit thin to sustain 4-5 competitions.

Meanwhile, Burnley have actually done well. Just done by two moments of quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silencio

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
KDB already injured and looks exhausted.
I think that he may need a long break; the sustained pace of modern football at the top - and KDB has been at the top a long time - is exhausting, and leads to burn out.
A chunk of last season's benchers are starters today.
Interesting.

City's squad looks a wee bit thin to sustain 4-5 competitions.
That is why I think that Gaurdiola was attempting to dampen expectations earlier when he stated that it was unlikely that City would be able to repeat their success of last season.
Meanwhile, Burnley have actually done well. Just donw by two moments of quality.
Agree.

Nevertheless, I would love to see them score, even once (not least becasue it would drive City mad), and better still, at least twice, if only to secure a draw and claim a point.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Haaland is a machine. Or a shark, pitilessly hunting goals.

Burnley look pretty good despite being down 0-2. I don't think Sheff Utd or Luton Town stay up, but Burnley is good enough to do it. Either Wolves or Bournemouth are also going down.

Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Haaland is a machine. Or a shark, pitilessly hunting goals.
Well, yes.

However, I wonder how well he would do in a less well resourced team.

Burnley look pretty good despite being down 0-2. I don't think Sheff Utd or Luton Town stay up, but Burnley is good enough to do it. Either Wolves or Bournemouth are also going down.
What about Everton?

There are only so many times (years, seasons) where you can flirt with danger yet successfully avoid the drop.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Why was Pep laying into Haaland at half time? He’s scored two goals. What more do you expect?

Yeah, that was a bit much, wasn't it? And even worse was seeing all the pundits falling all over themselves praising him for never being satisfied or whatever. Yeeeesh.

Everton is also an excellent shout to finally go down. I expect another nailbiter at the bottom of the table like last season.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I think that he may need a long break; the sustained pace of modern football at the top - and KDB has been at the top a long time - is exhausting, and leads to burn out.
The amount of wages a player gets a week I would be expecting them to play every game, EVERY game. If they want million pound wages then they can damn well earn it and earn it hard. You may have sympathy for players being exhausted, I do not. Can't put the effort in? then don't go demanding high wages.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why was Pep laying into Haaland at half time? He’s scored two goals. What more do you expect?
I assume that it may have been a case of insane entitled expectations.

Or, a sense that Haaland wasn't pushing himself.

Still, two touches, - okay, one a back and forth passing sequence - two goals.

I'm not sure that this merits such vehement reprimands.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, that was a bit much, wasn't it?

Agreed.
And even worse was seeing all the pundits falling all over themselves praising him for never being satisfied or whatever. Yeeeesh.

Again, agreed.

Misplaced moral compass.

Unpleasant, unnecessary and uncalled for.

Everton is also an excellent shout to finally go down. I expect another nailbiter at the bottom of the table like last season.
As do I.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
What about Everton?

There are only so many times (years, seasons) where you can flirt with danger yet successfully avoid the drop.

I fear you are right, but I do hope they'll get a decent start to the season, and then have a season (relatively) securely mid table...

Optimistically I hope we'll keep most - if not all - of the following behind us, in no particular order:

* Luton,
* Sheffield Utd,
* Burnley (basically the three newcomers),
* Brighton (if they keep selling off their best players)
* Crystal Palace (post-Zaha, and hopefully some big club buys Eze and/or Olise),
* Fulham (if Mitrovic is going to Saudi-Arabia),
* Bournemouth (without Roman Faivre?),
* Nottingham Forest (over-performed last year and might bounce back),
* Wolves (seem like there's trouble there, hopefully that will affect perfomance).

We "only" need to keep 3 of those behind us, and if we can keep Calvert-Lewin relatively injury free, and not sell Onana, I think that's doable (but in no way certain).

Now, if we can get rid of our "owner" Farhad Moshiri (and his "consultant" Usmanov), and get a solid owner, then I'll be extremely happy.

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
VG (paywall, in Norwegian), the biggest newspaper in Norway has this tip for the season (last year's position in parentheses):

1. Arsenal (2)
2. Manchester City (1)
3. Liverpool (5)
4. Manchester United (3)
5. Newcastle (4)
6. Chelsea (12)
7. Aston Villa (7)
8. Tottenham (8)
9. Brighton (6)
10. Everton (17) (!!!)
11. West Ham (14)
12. Brentford (9)
13. Crystal Palace (11)
14. Nottingham Forest (16)
15. Fulham (10)
16. Burnley (-)
17. Sheffield United (-)
18. Wolves (13)
19. Bournemouth (15)
20. Luton (-)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
VG (paywall, in Norwegian), the biggest newspaper in Norway has this tip for the season (last year's position in parentheses):

1. Arsenal (2)
2. Manchester City (1)
3. Liverpool (5)
4. Manchester United (3)
5. Newcastle (4)
6. Chelsea (12)
7. Aston Villa (7)
8. Tottenham (8)
9. Brighton (6)
10. Everton (17) (!!!)
11. West Ham (14)
12. Brentford (9)
13. Crystal Palace (11)
15. Fulham (10)
16. Burnley (-)
17. Sheffield United (-)
18. Wolves (13)
19. Bournemouth (15)
20. Luton (-)
Everton looks quite high to me.
But after last season I’d settle for 11th. Especially if we can win another European cup!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

1. Arsenal (2)
2. Manchester City (1)
3. Liverpool (5)
4. Manchester United (3)
5. Newcastle (4)
6. Chelsea (12)
7. Aston Villa (7)
8. Tottenham (8)
9. Brighton (6)
10. Everton (17) (!!!)
11. West Ham (14)
12. Brentford (9)
13. Crystal Palace (11)
15. Fulham (10)
16. Burnley (-)
17. Sheffield United (-)
18. Wolves (13)
19. Bournemouth (15)
20. Luton (-)
I still think Man City will walk to the title again.

Even with what's his name getting hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.