Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Both Airbus and Boeing have shown they can blow it.
[doublepost=1562848298][/doublepost]
even ray charles can see the a380 is a copy of the MD-12 design

if this were true the a340 wouldnt have been the failure it was
newer engines such as the GEnx are better than the rb211 which makes the extra 2 engines unnecessary

what does antartica have to do with 4 engines

do you have a source to back this claim up or is it like your claim that the US is to blame for the concorde and a380 being a failure
at any rate if what you are saying is true if i want to know what investments to make i talk to my mechanic and if i want to know why my truck is having a problem i speak to my investment banker because they would not be an objective source when it comes to investments or cars

i know the extra engine is just being ferried but it shows how capable the 747 is
SaE8r.jpg

Qantas_160106_3283_-700x525-1-1100x429.jpg

im not surprised
when the a380 was being developed the trend was already shifting to large twins
the 747 will be around for a while it has a great reputation as a freighter

i could see demand for a large widebody on slot constrained routes such as jfk-lhr or jfk-lax but as has already been stated by @cube Pilots have shown not to be an objective source when it comes to planes

i think it is the passengers wanting direct flights and not stopovers more than it is the airlines
in just about every industry outside of aviation the hub to hub model works

i agree that large twins are the future
the a380 is a copy of the MD-12 which was never launched due to lack of demand
yet airbus launched it anyway and is surprised it failed
boeing took the correct approach and released the 787 when it did

was VQ-1 the unit that lost the P-3 to the chinese
The 747 was a technological triumph for 1970 and it’s still around 50 years later.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
And also being phased out for more efficient planes from either major supplier. I could see a few 744s sticking around for certain routes and I doubt any of the 748 owners are going to sell off their new cargo planes until they put them to good use.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And also being phased out for more efficient planes from either major supplier. I could see a few 744s sticking around for certain routes and I doubt any of the 748 owners are going to sell off their new cargo planes until they put them to good use.
You bet they are not going to sell their 747-8F when they are upgrading their A300F.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Fairly low effort. Shall see how that goes now that most news agencies have picked it up. At this point the sensible option would be to scrap the entire plane and take the loss. Don't screw up if you can't afford to.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The B2 at 30 ....

Coolest aircraft ever!

I'm still with the SR-71 as the winner in this category. ;)
[doublepost=1563884211][/doublepost]

737-NEO. ;)
[doublepost=1563884406][/doublepost]

The 748F will be around for many decades. It still receives a trickle of orders. I'm really pumped to see if Boeing goes with a 777X-F. There is A LOT of interest out there. :)

Reactions: A.Goldberg

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is the grounding of the 737 Max being felt this summer? I’m thinking a definite yes.

As some of you know, I am in a position of being a retired airline employee (Delta) who has access to standby travel with my airline, and we (spouse and I) have been looking at traveling over the last week on passes, and what I’ve seen is that flights are heavy, they have say 10-20 seats open, the day before, but the night before I see large numbers of revenue passengers, without seat assignments, which means they are likely standby, and on the day of travel, most if not all of those empty seats are filled by those standby passengers being fed to Delta by United, American, Southwest, and possibly Air Canada. Delta has 737s but no Maxes. So even though Delta's capacity was not effected, this bleed over is effecting aircraft loads.

Now I realize there are other factors like weather, recently weather on the East Coast that added to the problem yesterday.

Looking at the list of airlines that own grounded Maxes (https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ny-they-own/SXSvelLSA7TGqnWNw3aZRN/story.html)
I’ll say there are about 100 planes grounded that primarily effect the US market. You may have to use your browser in reader mode to see the article.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Is the grounding of the 737 Max being felt this summer? I’m thinking a definite yes.

As some of you know, I am in a position of being a retired airline employee (Delta) who has access to standby travel with my airline, and we (spouse and I) have been looking at traveling over the last week on passes, and what I’ve seen is that flights are heavy, they have say 10-20 seats open, the day before, but the night before I see large numbers of revenue passengers, without seat assignments, which means they are likely standby, and on the day of travel, most if not all of those empty seats are filled by those standby passengers being fed to Delta by United, American, Southwest, and possibly Air Canada. Delta has 737s but no Maxes. So even though Delta's capacity was not effected, this bleed over is effecting aircraft loads.

Now I realize there are other factors like weather, recently weather on the East Coast that added to the problem yesterday.

Looking at the list of airlines that own grounded Maxes (https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ny-they-own/SXSvelLSA7TGqnWNw3aZRN/story.html)
I’ll say there are about 100 planes grounded that primarily effect the US market. You may have to use your browser in reader mode to see the article.

I’d say WN is having the most issues with US carriers. AA and UA have been able to rearrange cancellations and consolidate with larger aircraft. WN has not been able to do so. AA and UA have increased fares and have actually increased their CASM by around 3% for those same seats.

Last I checked I believe with the latest cancellations now going to Nov 1 it’s at around 180 per day. PAX seem willing to pay the extra fares to make the flights. I don’t believe anyone is missing flights. They are rerouted and pay more.

I believe European carriers are planning on no reentry until after the first of the year. A loose/loose for everyone.

Yea, the WX around NYC yesterday was brutal. :mad:

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’d say WN is having the most issues with US carriers. AA and UA have been able to rearrange cancellations and consolidate with larger aircraft. WN has not been able to do so. AA and UA have increased fares and have actually increased their CASM by around 3% for those same seats.

Last I checked I believe with the latest cancellations now going to Nov 1 it’s at around 180 per day. PAX seem willing to pay the extra fares to make the flights. I don’t believe anyone is missing flights. They are rerouted and pay more.

I believe European carriers are planning on no reentry until after the first of the year. A loose/loose for everyone.

Yea, the WX around NYC yesterday was brutal. :mad:
We started looking at transferring Grandkids from Houston since last Thursday, finally squeaked them on a flight on Monday. My wife would have been stuck in Minneapolis for several days except she used 44k frequent flyer miles to get home. They bought people off on her flight. Nonrevs have been in quite a spot I imagine, if they rely on airline travel to get to work.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We started looking at transferring Grandkids from Houston since last Thursday, finally squeaked them on a flight on Monday. My wife would have been stuck in Minneapolis for several days except she used 44k frequent flyer miles to get home. They bought people off on her flight. Nonrevs have been in quite a spot I imagine, if they rely on airline travel to get to work.
When flying commercial and been in that situation, I usually take the "a hole" route and loop in a regional manager if I can find one and hint at filing a complaint with the transportation board. They're very quick to accommodate to another flight path with connecting or offer double, sometimes triple what I paid for in vouchers or cash back and a free flight. Easier to simmer down a passenger than deal with bureaucratic paperwork.

I keep it cordial and concise and avoid making a scene. Being cool about it and being calculative wins you better favors. I know you're a retired airline pilot, so excuse me if people like me piss you off. :p

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When flying commercial and been in that situation, I usually take the "a hole" route and loop in a regional manager if I can find one and hint at filing a complaint with the transportation board. They're very quick to accommodate to another flight path with connecting or offer double, sometimes triple what I paid for in vouchers or cash back and a free flight. Easier to simmer down a passenger than deal with bureaucratic paperwork.

I keep it cordial and concise and avoid making a scene. Being cool about it and being calculative wins you better favors. I know you're a retired airline pilot, so excuse me if people like me piss you off. :p
Most of the time we travel for free, but on occasion if we need to be somewhere by a certain day, and travel is heavy, we purchase tickets. This summer has been a challenge.

Reactions: 0388631

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Patroullie Suisse performed a show over the wrong town, a yodeling festival.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
AF would be interested in the CS500.

The stretch would make sense given the A320 backlog and the MAX debacle.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
A lot of miss information on “Why” the US carriers didn’t order the double decker A380 or the newer 747

Though efficiency was part of the argument... comparing the 747 to the 777-300

United, Delta, and American operator on a hub and spoke system and it’s kind of hard for me to explain because it’s very confusion

For example and this was back in 2014

AA’s 757 routing went

PHX-PHL
PHL-BRU
BRU-PHL

And can then branch off
To

PHL-ORD
ORD- back to Europe

Double decker airplanes are not *people efficient for how US airlines run their routes... it’s was explained a lot more detailed to me but it was years ago for me to remember. I used to for American Airlines

Airbus secretly really tried to get AA to buy a fleet of 6 A380s for a very very very good price.... they took millions off to the point where Parker and the execs tried to consider it.

But AA in the end said no because they just couldn’t get it to work with it’s existing systems

And then at the Time AA had 50 A350s on order along with 787s coming into the fleet

Ahh... now I remember. Airbus came to AA with the pitch to convert some of their A350 orders to A380... Airbus just wanted the production line open despite the loss

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I recently was in Colarado and went to the Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum. They had some cool stuff, including a B-1... I never realized how absolutely massive those things are. They also have a B-52 on display, I believe they said it was the second one ever made. It’s quite incredible we’re still actively using a plane originally designed with a tail gunner position and with no retirement plans anytime soon. Though I missed the “appolo-palooza” (50th anniversary was a day or two earlier), there was a whole exhibit dedicated to the space program and ICBMs. They have a moon rock on full time display. Jack Swigert was from Colorado so they had a bunch of his artifacts.

E98F0285-498A-43A0-88DE-57381B843EED.jpeg
B93E3F7D-695E-4B55-9293-B31BF27CD724.jpeg

The most impressive collection I’ve seen is the Intrepid Museum in NYC, but it’s almost overwhelming with the amount of cool stuff they have. This museum in Colorado was nice for anyone looking to spend an hour or two appreciating the history of aviation.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The most impressive collection I’ve seen is the Intrepid Museum in NYC, but it’s almost overwhelming with the amount of cool stuff they have.
I looked at everything in one afternoon.

I needed more than one day at KSC.

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Sometimes even us farm flyers put 'em in the corn. We did.

( Cross ways on fresh plowed field, fixed gear, bumped along, hit dead furrow at edge, over easy into cut corn. All Walk. LOL) Story someday later. a2

Untitled.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.