Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We just picked up a 2020 Explorer, replacing a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali. The drive is much better with the RWD bias, and the extra room is a nice bonus. I like the steering. The ten-speed transmission seems okay so far.

Still not really a fan of their infotainment, but we use CarPlay all the time. One of the motors for the third row seating already killed itself somehow. I think it was only the second time we used it in the two weeks we've had it, and now it's stuck at a fixed angle, so we'll have to get that looked at. The cross traffic alert is a little sensitive. We've had it go off twice when parking, but there were no cars.

Still, we like it so far. I liked the Acadia, and I am pretty picky about SUVs since I prefer sportier cars.

Savage Geese on YouTube, put out a pretty brutal review of the 2020 Ford Explorer. He hits on some really key elements that is true about the design, infotainment center, and overall drivability that I agreed with. The only reason I’m interested in the ST model, isn’t necessarily just because it’s ‘larger’ more expensive model, but it offers possibly everything that checks all the boxes for me with the more powerful TT 3L, you can even opt for massaging seats if you want for the driver side passenger, and of course the brake/wheel package, technology package, etc.

I’m like you, when I purchase my vehicles, I don’t want anything ‘base/entry’ level, I want the highest trim in terms of ‘sport features’ offered. Once you have amenities like heated cooled everything, remote start, leather, performance dynamic packages ect, it’s really hard to revert backwards to anything less from my experience, which is why I don’t have a problem paying for more features that adds up in the long run to enhance my driving experience, both with the power and luxury features.

Edit:

Oh, and you’re completely right about the 10 speed transmission. I totally overlooked that when I was discussing the Explorer on the previous page, it really does make a difference in terms Of the driving factors, Ford Corroborated with GM of the 10 speed addition, and they did a really nice job, which cross-planes over to the new 18 GT & up/Camaro.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Forgive me, as I also have a long post.

A few months ago I floated the idea of supercharging my ‘14 Charger R/T AWD, and got some helpful comments and suggestions on this thread, mostly around buying a Scat Pack rather than modifying my R/T.

As was pointed out, the most reasonable alternative was, and is, a Scat Pack. For me that would mean a used one, as I simply cannot justify spending the $$ for a new one at this point in my life. Moreover, finding a clean SP with the options I want (and have on my R/T) is a fairly daunting task, at least based on my searches on Autotrader. And the SP doesn’t come with AWD.

So after much thought and additional research, I’ve pretty much decided on supercharging my R/T, most likely using a Whipple, with a dyno tune, which should yield ~500hp at the wheels. I’ve reached out to several shops in Virginia, and settled on National Speed in Richmond. While not the least expensive, of the shops I’ve consulted they have been the most communicative, reached out to me by phone and email, and provided a detailed estimate. They have also done a bunch of Mopars.

Apparently my earlier impression of needing new pistons and a beefier bottom end to accommodate the SC with the suggested tune was unfounded. That dropped my estimated cost by about half.

Their take is that given my goal for this car of having a decent amount of power, while remaining reliable and suitable for daily driving, non-track use, I don’t really need to make any other mods. The R/T brakes and suspension are fine for spirited street use. It already has a pretty good exhaust system, which has an understated rumble at idle and is not obnoxious at WOT. It has nearly all of the options I want. There are comparatively few AWD Charger R/Ts, and very, very few supercharged ones. That appeals to me.

They are not trying to upsell me on anything; the only suggestion they made was to consider larger tires, but said that even those were not strictly necessary.

So I’m going to pay a visit to National Speed in the next couple of weeks, to get a better sense of the place and of the people. If I like what I see and hear, I’ll give them a deposit and schedule the work. I’ll report back on how that goes.

Reactions: Suture

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Matz

Just trying to provoke some thought, not trying to juke your build. But you mentioned I think you when you purchased this car, it had 20,000 miles/was a Prior lease, and that’s been what, three years ago? So I’m assuming you’re well over 100,000 by now.

I know you mentioned the Scat is out of your price range, and that’s totally understandable, because it is expensive, [not necessarily just as a purchase by itself, but in the sense of ownership with maintenance/brakes/insurance, etc. So it’s not for everyone, I get it being an owner of an MY18.]

That said, if you’re looking at a Whipple supercharger, you’re looking somewhere probably in the ballpark of ~$7000, not including the labor [Any re-build]/testing/dynoing, which would probably set you I’m assuming somewhere near ~$10,000 for the finalized tab?

My thoughts are, if your car is over the 100,000 mile peek and you’re looking to supercharge it, (and if my figures are somewhat accurate), if it was me, I personally would take that extra money that you’re spending on your RT, trade in your RT and find a used Scat with mid range miles, which they’re Plentiful.

The only reason I’m making that suggestion, it’s not because I’m a just a ‘Scat owner’, but because the 6.4 SRT/ZF 8 speed transmissions are literally ‘bulletproof’. There’s hardly any complaints on that drive train, which obviously you take the risk of a higher mileage car when boosting it, to run into other problems that might cost you more money long-term versus the short term enjoyment. But then again, I think it’s really special to do your ‘own build’ if that something that interests you.

But, if you find a sourced team that really knows what they’re doing, reputable and honest with quality work on the build, then I say go for it. But I do have to play the ‘devils advocate’ on both sides of the spectrum.

Good luck.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Matz

Just trying to provoke some thought, not trying to juke your build. But you mentioned I think you when you purchased this car, it had 20,000 miles/was a Prior lease, and that’s been what, three years ago? So I’m assuming you’re well over 100,000 by now.

I know you mentioned the Scat is out of your price range, and that’s totally understandable, because it is expensive, [not necessarily just as a purchase by itself, but in the sense of ownership with maintenance/brakes/insurance, etc. So it’s not for everyone, I get it being an owner of an MY18.]

That said, if you’re looking at a Whipple supercharger, you’re looking somewhere probably in the ballpark of ~$7000, not including the labor [Any re-build]/testing/dynoing, which would probably set you I’m assuming somewhere near ~$10,000 for the finalized tab?

My thoughts are, if your car is over the 100,000 mile peek and you’re looking to supercharge it, (and if my figures are somewhat accurate), if it was me, I personally would take that extra money that you’re spending on your RT, trade in your RT and find a used Scat with mid range miles, which they’re Plentiful.

The only reason I’m making that suggestion, it’s not because I’m a just a ‘Scat owner’, but because the 6.4 SRT/ZF 8 speed transmissions are literally ‘bulletproof’. There’s hardly any complaints on that drive train, which obviously you take the risk of a higher mileage car when boosting it, to run into other problems that might cost you more money long-term versus the short term enjoyment. But then again, I think it’s really special to do your ‘own build’ if that something that interests you.

But, if you find a sourced team that really knows what they’re doing, reputable and honest with quality work on the build, then I say go for it. But I do have to play the ‘devils advocate’ on both sides of the spectrum.

Good luck.
Thanks for that. You make some good points.

And you’re about right on the cost. That kind of power increase is expensive. National Speed has all of the earmarks of a good shop, so I feel confident that they will do a good job.

As for the mileage, however, since I mostly drive my R/T on the weekends, it has just over 40,000 miles.

I have no doubt that a Scat would be a fine ride. And I could buy one; I just don’t want to. I am simply unwilling, at this point, to put that kind of money into purchasing a newer car. I have other priorities at the moment. As you rightly point out, there are ongoing higher costs of ownership that come along with a newer and more expensive ride, which adds to the overall cost. And for me, at least, the time/effort/risk required to locate and purchase the right car adds even more to the cost.

So the idea of spending less than half of the cost of a used SP, to get something that will be a lot of fun to drive, makes sense to me. Call me frugal.

More than a few years ago I used to mod every car I owned, to some extent. Haven’t done that in years, and now, some would say I’m a bit long in the tooth to be considering such things. Silly, even.

But I still really enjoy driving, and I still feel that need for speed. I’m lucky enough to live in an area with little traffic, and plenty of twisty country roads. I like my R/T very much. So the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding power - the missing ingredient, if you will - to this car. The fact that it will be one of very few R/T AWDs like it, is a bonus.

So thanks for your comments. They actually helped confirm that this is the direction I want to go.

Reactions: Glideslope

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I really had a great experience with my last dealer and had no issues with the vehicle. I did put a deposit on a future model but months later the manufacturer decided to not build my model and not give a date. Since the lease was running out soon I had no choice but research something else. The last 2 vehicles I've owned I have been lucky with dealer service.

Since I have a classic gas vehicle I decided to try out a Tesla at their Tesla Days event. And that made my decision clear for my daily commute to save on gas and have HOV lane access to get to work faster.

Reactions: satcomer

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Small rant:

So kind of shocked that Toyota released the 2020 Camry 2.5L with AWD, but the 3.5l is standard with FWD. It’s reported that Toyota states only 6% of Camry buyers opt for the 3.5 L, [which would be the XSE trim], and the other 94% opt for the 2.5 L. My guess obviously is the price difference, I guess it just goes to show that average consumers don’t really care of the power-differences between the 2.5 v.s the 3.5 V6 (Which is nearly a 100HP with the 3.5 topping at 301HP), especially if they want the fuel economy.

I was just reading about the Camry today and I assumed that all Camry models were migrating to the AWD platform, when that’s not the case. I really like the new redesign with the Camry, it’s no longer your ‘grandpa daily driver’, it’s breaching to a much younger demographic the way it’s designed. At least Toyota has the sense not to use these garbage CVT transmissions like Nissan and others have. Toyota’s 8-speeds have been well received.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
A M4 ripped past me today on the freeway. It was in Atlantis Blue, I'm sure. It's a very unique color and metallic. It looked like a jewel under the 90* sun.

I wonder if you could order a regular BMW with this color. In the last few weeks I've spotted, 2, what I think were dark colored Taycans but they could have been Panameras. Hard to tell under those conditions.

So kind of shocked that Toyota released the 2020 Camry 2.5L with AWD, but the 3.5l is standard with FWD. It’s reported that Toyota states only 6% of Camry buyers opt for the 3.5 L, [which would be the XSE trim], and the other 94% opt for the 2.5 L. My guess obviously is the price difference, I guess it just goes to show that average consumers don’t really care of the power-differences between the 2.5 v.s the 3.5 V6 (Which is nearly a 100HP with the 3.5 topping at 301HP), especially if they want the fuel economy.
May be wrong here, but I'm curious if it's because the V6 of Camry's (Camri?) past have had issues with their engines whereas the 4 cylinder was more reliable. This on top of what you bring up, obviously.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A M4 ripped past me today on the freeway. It was in Atlantis Blue, I'm sure. It's a very unique color and metallic. It looked like a jewel under the 90* sun.

I wonder if you could order a regular BMW with this color. In the last few weeks I've spotted, 2, what I think were dark colored Taycans but they could have been Panameras. Hard to tell under those conditions.

May be wrong here, but I'm curious if it's because the V6 of Camry's (Camri?) past have had issues with their engines whereas the 4 cylinder was more reliable. This on top of what you bring up, obviously.

Where the he** have you been.😁 Good to see you back. I was asking About you while ago.

Anyways, that’s a good point about the V6’s, they probably just don’t have the consistency the 1.8/2.4 have had long term over the last decade or so.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I looked at a 2018 Ford Raptor. (I’ve been familiarized with this truck before from past readings/reviews.) After a further detailed look into it, I realize that this vehicle is capable of much more of just being a ‘daily driver’ with the different drive modes for off-roading. But what I didn’t realize, is how much technology really is embedded into this truck. As a matter of fact, Ford actually is offering tutorial classes that you can attend on the Ford raptor in terms of what the different drive modes offer/change the vehicle dynamics, vehicle controls, and performance measurements, ect.

I’m not gonna lie, it’s actually overwhelming from a consumer standpoint to see how much technology Ford engineered into this truck, and it might be slightly ‘overkill’ for what I want it for, but right now, it’s at the top of my list with the Ford Explorer ST being eliminated and the 19’ SHO being moved in second place.

I’d say by April/May at the latest, I should have either a new Raptor or 19 SHO parked in my Garage.😁

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Savage Geese on YouTube, put out a pretty brutal review of the 2020 Ford Explorer. He hits on some really key elements that is true about the design, infotainment center, and overall drivability that I agreed with. The only reason I’m interested in the ST model, isn’t necessarily just because it’s ‘larger’ more expensive model, but it offers possibly everything that checks all the boxes for me with the more powerful TT 3L, you can even opt for massaging seats if you want for the driver side passenger, and of course the brake/wheel package, technology package, etc.

I’m like you, when I purchase my vehicles, I don’t want anything ‘base/entry’ level, I want the highest trim in terms of ‘sport features’ offered. Once you have amenities like heated cooled everything, remote start, leather, performance dynamic packages ect, it’s really hard to revert backwards to anything less from my experience, which is why I don’t have a problem paying for more features that adds up in the long run to enhance my driving experience, both with the power and luxury features.

Edit:

Oh, and you’re completely right about the 10 speed transmission. I totally overlooked that when I was discussing the Explorer on the previous page, it really does make a difference in terms Of the driving factors, Ford Corroborated with GM of the 10 speed addition, and they did a really nice job, which cross-planes over to the new 18 GT & up/Camaro.

I'll reply just to plug Savage Geese one more time. ;)

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'll reply just to plug Savage Geese one more time. ;)

I’ve already plugged Savage Geese before on the 2020 Explorer already in this thread. 😉 (Actually, his Raptor review is easily the most thorough available.)

He’s cynical in all the right areas, but praises the positives. He doesn’t really ‘Fan boy’ his vehicle reviews, he remains fairly neutral to the vehicle/branding.That’s a must being a vehicle ‘Youtuber’.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
saw a electric BMW i3 at the Sprouts Market today. The owner says its been in the shop some.
front to back it is a small short vehicle. The owner said the handling is good.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I’ve already plugged Savage Geese before on the 2020 Explorer already in this thread. ? (Actually, his Raptor review is easily the most thorough available.)

He’s cynical in all the right areas, but praises the positives. He doesn’t really ‘Fan boy’ his vehicle reviews, he remains fairly neutral to the vehicle/branding.That’s a must being a vehicle ‘Youtuber’.

Yeah SavageGeese right now is the top guy for me when it comes to vehicle reviews.

Throttle House for the fun to watch videos.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Haven’t heard of ‘Throttle house’, I’ll look into them. The only thing I don’t like about Savage Geese reviews,[ and this really has nothing to do with him personally], but it’s more less of when he supplements ‘Scott Turbowski’ in the segment of ‘In the shop’. That guy (Turbowski) it’s about as useful as a box of rocks. 😁 Not to mention, just annoying with his _constant_ negativity, And I suspect others strongly agree with my viewpoint who follow this channel regularly.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Haven’t heard of ‘Throttle house’, I’ll look into them. The only thing I don’t like about Savage Geese reviews,[ and this really has nothing to do with him personally], but it’s more less of when he supplements ‘Scott Turbowski’ in the segment of ‘In the shop’. That guy (Turbowski) it’s about as useful as a box of rocks. ? Not to mention, just annoying with his _constant_ negativity, And I suspect others strongly agree with my viewpoint who follow this channel regularly.

He has done quite a few videos lately without Turbowski. His attitude though seems prevalent in the mechanics world especially now that cars are getting less service friendly in the last decade or so. Just look at Scotty Kilmer.... Everything sucks if it isn't a Toyota... :p

justlexi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I am still using this 2016 BMW M3, I am not planning to switch cars but I am looking on some wheel and tire packages online for some modification.

Attachments

• BMW M3 2016.jpg
    BMW M3 2016.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 120

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am still using this 2016 BMW M3, I am not planning to switch cars but I am looking on some wheel and tire packages online for some modification.

Awesome color.

Wheel/tire packages, I don’t have a recommendation, however; if you make any à la cart purchase, I would highly suggest getting your tires from ‘Tire rack.com.’ Reputable, fast shipping and they pretty much have any configuration you would need in terms of brand. Also, TR’s customer service is excellent.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
On Monday I put down a deposit at National Speed in Richmond for my Whipple Stage 2 supercharger install. Three weeks to build and deliver the supercharger, and one week to install and tune.
Just in time for spring! :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there any transmission (Being this is a 5-speed) rebuilding in this process to compensate for the added power? [As in is it suggested/recommended specifically
For the 5 speed?]

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I am still using this 2016 BMW M3, I am not planning to switch cars but I am looking on some wheel and tire packages[/COLOR] online for some modification.

Well, there's 100s of options, 1/2/3 piece, various forging processes, highline brands, it depends how much you want to spend, specs, finish, etc.

BC Forged, VMR, ADV.1, HRE, BBW, Volk, CCW, Rays, Forgeline, the list goes on, some of those are $1600 a set, some are $6000 a set.

Then you'll want to think about size, if you're cool with going with a larger tire, get the correct wheel to accommodate it, but with the proper offset, unless you want them to stock out (or you want to run a ton of camber). I think you've running 9x19 all around? Or the alt winter/entry wheel is 8x18, I don't recall if you're setup square (meaning all four corners the same) or staggered, with like a 245 front and a 255 or larger rear.

If it we me, I'd go with 20" wheels, in a 9-9.5" front width and a 10-10.5" rear, run something staggered like a 255 front and 275 rear, I mean, you can go nuts and pack a 295 or 305 on the rear, just requires very tight tolerances on the wheel.

Is there any transmission (Being this is a 5-speed) rebuilding in this process to compensate for the added power? [As in is it suggested/recommended specifically
For the 5 speed?]

NAG1 (WA580) 5-speed is rated at ~428 lb/ft of torque but people are routinely running ~550 lb/ft of TQ or more through them, as long as you're not doing hard launches on drag tires, it should be fine on the street (half shafts would probably go first anyway, and it's an AWD model ...)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.