Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
Here’s my baby. Wanted a Wrangler since I was 14. Hubby bought it for my birthday. We hit up some amazing remote places. Check her out @rubipoisonapple on instagram! We are all about adventure. ?♥️

Attachments

• BBD8BAF6-79DD-4A99-9249-5A56246EB4F7.jpeg
    BBD8BAF6-79DD-4A99-9249-5A56246EB4F7.jpeg
    741.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 907B840D-C093-4AA5-9F65-C25417BF0A78.jpeg
    907B840D-C093-4AA5-9F65-C25417BF0A78.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 98

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Jaguar e-type would certainly tick that box!

My Golf is booked in for tomorrow. Stop start fault and misfiring. Hopefully it’s just a battery and engine management reset based on my quick google.

Or....maybe it’s due to the flooded street you drove through with water saturation?

Good luck though.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Arrrggg, had a battery stolen off one of my cars-the Marina-within the last few weeks.

I guess that's what I get for parking it behind a keycode-protected gate in a secured area where I live and inadvertently not latching the hood all the way when I disconnected the battery for the winter.

So much for that-looks like I'm going to have to start pulling it off when I'm not driving it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Arrrggg, had a battery stolen off one of my cars-the Marina-within the last few weeks.

I guess that's what I get for parking it behind a keycode-protected gate in a secured area where I live and inadvertently not latching the hood all the way when I disconnected the battery for the winter.

So much for that-looks like I'm going to have to start pulling it off when I'm not driving it!

Your post made me think of something. Recently we had a dealership that was burglarized. We think a team of 10+ individuals were involved with a dozen of trucks that were jacked on cinderblocks, totaling over $200,000 worth of wheels being stolen. Apparently this is becoming more common with dealerships across the nation for the black market.

Didn’t get my car back. Going to pressure test the valves tomorrow apparently. Hopefully that doesn’t show a major issue.

Hopefully not bad news. Keep us posted.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Your post made me think of something. Recently we had a dealership that was burglarized. We think a team of 10+ individuals were involved with a dozen of trucks that were jacked on cinderblocks, totaling over $200,000 worth of wheels being stolen. Apparently this is becoming more common with dealerships across the nation for the black market.

Hopefully not bad news. Keep us posted.
Will do. Hopefully it’s not serious or terminal.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Amazon wins again. I need a running light for my 2012 Fiat 500. It came with incandescent 7443 lights. I thought LEDs would be a good reasonably priced upgrade and ended up buying iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 7440 7443 T20 LED Bulbs with Projector Replacement for Back Up Reverse Lights or Tail Brake Lights,Xenon White.

I checked at the local O'Reilly store and with selection, there was just no competition and the price there for LEDs was $20-25. Amazon price: $16 vs about $9-11 for incandescents at O'Reilly. I want to say at Amazon standard Sylvania 7443s were as low as $6. One day delivery and at Amazon, they show as compatible with my 500, with free returns no less. I want to say that free returns on this scale is rather new for Amazon and again they are killing it.
Did I do good or mess up? :)

Can I rightfully say ridiculous or is there a reason besides desirability and having limitless funds to indulge ones self? Yes, if you have large quantities of money to toss, might as well be for a good cause.. :D

I need some advice. I received these items, installed one of them and it only works when the head lights are turned on which defeats the purpose of using them as daytime running lights. On the item page they are listed as multi-purpose, backup lights, brake lights, and listed as daytime running lights.

I read somewhere, and don't remember the exact wording, but I'm thinking this issue might be that these are high voltage and the original lights are incandescent bulbs and although I've not seen if they become brighter or dimmer at night, the original bulbs have the ability to run on both low and high voltage, where maybe these require high voltage?

So the question is, are there LED bulbs that are functional with my car as daytime running lights?
Anyone know?

Update: Could this be a malfunctioning light bulb?

As a side note, these were purchased on Amazon, iBrightstar is oriental (Chinese?) manufacturer. When I looked to their webpage www.ibrightstar.com for support, I just got a bit of Chinese/oriental script appear in my browser, no web page appeared. And the seller on Amazon "Grainshop" has no presence to contact. I callEd Amazon they told me these items are just held in their warehouses for sale.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I need some advice. I received these items, installed one of them and it only works when the head lights are turned on which defeats the purpose of using them as daytime running lights. On the item page they are listed as multi-purpose, backup lights, brake lights, and listed as daytime running lights.

I read somewhere, and don't remember the exact wording, but I'm thinking this issue might be that these are high voltage and the original lights are incandescent bulbs and although I've not seen if they become brighter or dimmer at night, the original bulbs have the ability to run on both low and high voltage, where maybe these require high voltage?

So the question is, are there LED bulbs that are functional with my car as daytime running lights?
Anyone know?

Update: Could this be a malfunctioning light bulb?

As a side note, these were purchased on Amazon, iBrightstar is oriental (Chinese?) manufacturer. When I looked to their webpage www.ibrightstar.com for support, I just got a bit of Chinese/oriental script appear in my browser, no web page appeared. And the seller on Amazon "Grainshop" has no presence to contact. I callEd Amazon they told me these items are just held in their warehouses for sale.

Update 2: I just swapped out the original lights to verify that it's not a socket or wiring issue. An original bulb works in both sockets as it should, turned on when the head lights are turned off. So I'm assuming that the bulbs that I am now returning were not compatible or mislabeled as "daytime running lights". I've ordered another brand LEDs and should get those tomorrow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Update 2: I just swapped out the original lights to verify that it's not a socket or wiring issue. An original bulb works in both sockets as it should, turned on when the head lights are turned off. So I'm assuming that the bulbs that I am now returning were not compatible or mislabeled as "daytime running lights". I've ordered another brand LEDs and should get those tomorrow.
Update 3: Second brand of LEDs not functional on this car either. I called the Fiat dealer today and got "duh" from their parts department. I asked are all the new cars using LEDs? The answer was yes, but they did not know about why they would not work on my 2012 Fiat 500, which is 7 years old. So at this point I'll be just using the standard incandescents that came with it. I thought for sure someone, my local mechanic, the Fiat dealer, or one of the local MRs car experts might know. ;)

My guess is that it's a voltage issue, that in the daytime running mode there is not enough to illuminate the LEDs, but that's just a guess, I've not tested the socket with a volt meter to check. As said, they (LEDs) do come on when the headlights are turned on.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Update 3: Second brand of LEDs not functional on this car either. I called the Fiat dealer today and got "duh" from their parts department. I asked are all the new cars using LEDs? The answer was yes, but they did not know about why they would not work on my 2012 Fiat 500, which is 7 years old. So at this point I'll be just using the standard incandescents that came with it. I thought for sure someone, my local mechanic, the Fiat dealer, or one of the local MRs car experts might know. ;)

My guess is that it's a voltage issue, that in the daytime running mode there is not enough to illuminate the LEDs, but that's just a guess, I've not tested the socket with a volt meter to check. As said, they (LEDs) do come on when the headlights are turned on.
So sounds like you are in the dark regarding the lights?

Have you tried a Fiat 500 forum? I’ve found lots of useful stuff on the VW forum I read up on from time to time.

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So sounds like you are in the dark regarding the lights?

Have you tried a Fiat 500 forum? I’ve found lots of useful stuff on the VW forum I read up on from time to time.
Just posted in a Fiat forum yesterday, waiting for a response.

Even though I’ve already contacted two local mechanical expertise sources and got no answers, I’ve made a guess that there is a difference in the voltage with the headlights off (daytime running lights) and night with the headlights on.

Since the LEDs I tried two brands work with the headlights on (only), and the original incandescent bulbs that I already replaced the burned out bulb with, work with head lights on or off, and I examined the base of the two types of bulbs that appear to have identical contacts, the answer has to be current, voltage or something like that. I know that incandescent bulbs can be dimmed by varying the voltage and I’ll bet this is related somehow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just posted in a Fiat forum yesterday, waiting for a response.

Even though I’ve already contacted two local mechanical expertise sources and got no answers, I’ve made a guess that there is a difference in the voltage with the headlights off (daytime running lights) and night with the headlights on.

Since the LEDs I tried two brands work with the headlights on (only), and the original incandescent bulbs that I already replaced the burned out bulb with, work with head lights on or off, and I examined the base of the two types of bulbs that appear to have identical contacts, the answer has to be current, voltage or something like that. I know that incandescent bulbs can be dimmed by varying the voltage and I’ll bet this is related somehow.

Here is an answer I got from the Fiat Forum regarding daytime running lights:
Normal incandescent daytime running lights are designed (by regulation requirements) to be bright when the headlamps are off and then must dim when the headlamps are on.

There are a number of reasons for this, one of the main ones being that for LED DRLs then at night they would be too intense and omni radiant causing spots etc. to a fully open iris in otherwise dark conditions. Similar effect that a low powered laser beam can be readily seen and do eye damage but has little illumination capability.

Now this is rather reverse to what you are experiencing in that during the day DRLs should be getting the full 12V and night/headlamps on only getting 6V or 9V.

On modern cars then dropper resistors are not used and the 12V supply is pulse width modulated (50% on / 50% off or 60% on / 40% off). This works extremely well with filament bulbs but it often an issue with LEDs. This is why some LEDs are marked as suitable for dimming control whilst others are not.

So the question becomes is there a 7443 compatible dimmable LED light made that could be used as a daytime running light on my Fiat 500?

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i would suspect most late model vehicles have an old technology thermal blinker mechanism that depends on the incandescent bulbs drawing significant amount current. For example the blinker gives an indication (fast blink) if 1 of 2 turn signals is burnt out.

I went to a "you pull it" salvage yard to get a side view mirror. Filled my pockets with incandescent bulbs. They dont care.

Reactions: Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
i would suspect most late model vehicles have an old technology thermal blinker mechanism that depends on the incandescent bulbs drawing significant amount current. For example the blinker gives an indication (fast blink) if 1 of 2 turn signals is burnt out.

I went to a "you pull it" salvage yard to get a side view mirror. Filled my pockets with incandescent bulbs. They dont care.
I can recall my dad would do similar things at the breakers!

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I am right now looking for some better headlight bulbs for my Scion iM (2016). I have three ways to go:

1. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9012
2. Vosla 9012 +120
3. 9012 LED bulb replacement from Headlight Experts

I'm probably leaning towards the Vosla 9012 +120 because they are supposedly most compatible with the projector headlamp housing of my car.

Reactions: jeyf

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Next car purchase starts now...:cool:

Top 3 selection(s): (Whatever car I choose, some variant of ‘red’ will for sure be my next color, which is out of left field for me

1.) C8-[Torch Red]

This has been a car I wanted when I first heard rumors of it and it’s at the top of my list since it’s debut. I probably wouldn’t even consider any other car, but being I already own the 6.4 Scat pack, (I’ve been through this before where one of the cars doesn’t get driven when I owned the Mustang GT) I’m not sure if I want to play the ‘game’ of where I own two V8 Performance cars again, Being I have limited time to enjoy them due to changing seasons.

The other contingency, is the whole waiting game for one of these. My dealership seems completely clueless, and surprisingly seems like they are favoring certain buyers for the C8 [There’s a local discussion talking about this in my community], as I am on their list, but no one seems to have any information on anything, I don’t know what to expect in terms of the actual finalized delivery. (Plus, I am very impatient and I’m not one to wait around for really anything.😁) I could have a definitive delivery date, I think this would really help my decision moving forward.

Oh, it’s worth noting, if I want my deposit Back, I have less than two months to make that decision, the application fee is nonrefundable.

2.) Ford Explorer ST-[Rapid Red]

401A package. I’m very familiarized with the eco-boost motors, and I like the idea of the Explorer having more space, something I can drive year round (I already listed all the specs’ on this car on the previous page of this thread).

I’m not hearing positive things about the Center stack ‘iPad-like’ display. (Mainly being then it doesn’t take full advantage the display ratio it offers for the back up cam/display info, ect.) However, I heard the massaging seats Option are amazing, which the passenger has that luxury as well.

Really the whole point of me having this car, is I can definitely take advantage of the AWD for the winter weather I have in my state, I really don’t need the extra cargo capacity, but I like the idea of having a larger vehicle if that makes any sense.

3.) 2019 Taurus SHO (Red Ruby Metallic)

I had a 2017 white platinum metallic SHO (Livernois tuned). It was the one car I actually regret selling of the last five cars I’ve owned in the last three years.😁 It was insanely quick, all-wheel-drive factor was a huge contributor.

Now that they’re discontinued, they’re still holding value, but more than anything, they come fully loaded with the 401A/Im opting for P.P,/heated cooled everything (The back passenger seats are even heated), massaging seats for the driver, the list goes on.

This would be a tough call if I narrow it down to the Explorer ST v.s. the SHO.

More to follow later......

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Very sad and disappointed in Ford/Lincoln as they continue to kill off sedans in favor of more station wagons.

I have a 2018 MKZ and I just love it. I was thinking about getting another one when my lease ends in 2021 and get the 3.0 twin-turbo Reserve model too.

Now all they have left is the Continental and I've been reading rumors over the past year that they're going to kill that off too. If they do and don't bring out some other named sedan, it will be the first time since they formed as a company in 1917 that they wouldn't have a sedan in their lineup (as I read in a different article yesterday).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Even with the discontinuation of sedans, it doesn’t really mean that there’s not a market anymore for them. There’s still plenty of a Demographic for sedans, it’s just manufacturers are pushing the trend of crossovers/electric moving forward.

In a way, if somebody was in the market for a sedan, now is the time to buy it, because they do sit on lots, and if you can find one where somebody ate the Initial Depreciation for you for the first year, You can still score one that is a CPO with low miles/+warranty intact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.