Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Kia and Hyundai used to be the butt of jokes (a la Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift), but they have both come a long way. Hyundai in particular (with Genesis being their luxury line) are looking good, reliable, winning awards and are moving into Toyota/Lexus status. I prefer my Toyota's, but I would consider a Hyundai these days when looking to buy a car.

I have a Hyundai 2.0T Sonata, and I love everything about it. It’s quick as hell, fuel efficient, sporty in the right areas, spot on reliable, and the fit/finish is without any issues.

As for Kia, I wasn’t really knocking them, they really have come along way with their designs/reliability. The Kia stinger is nothing to joke about either, that’s a very quick car that’s well equipped. The Telluride is interesting (There’s quite a few in my area), at first I didn’t know what to make of it, but I actually do like it. Anyways, Kia has turned a 180 in the last 10–15 years and rightfully so, because they improved in all the areas were they were lacking.

Reactions: senseless and LBM4

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
A friend has a Sonata 2.0T at 140,000 that he refuses to sell. New engine courtesy of Hyundai and he put a new auto trans in, so he's milking it for all all it's worth.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hey car enthusiasts, does anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the panic button on a Ford/Lincoln key fob?

That's the one thing I dislike the most about my car - the panic button is activated way too easily in my pockets or just by "holding it wrong" haha. I seem to set the alarm off at least once a week getting into or out of the car.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I know, right!?!
How many people are lining their SUV's up at a light trying to find someone to race with them... to where? The next light? I find this sort of thing a bit ridiculous, tbh. But, I'm old and at my age, I prefer comfort and a large interior, with all the creature comforts like what the new Toyota/Lexus Safety Sense features provide, plus heated and air conditioned seats, quiet interior, etc. Means a lot more to me than 0-60 times or top speed.
[automerge]1577927057[/automerge]

Kia and Hyundai used to be the butt of jokes (a la Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift), but they have both come a long way. Hyundai in particular (with Genesis being their luxury line) are looking good, reliable, winning awards and are moving into Toyota/Lexus status. I prefer my Toyota's, but I would consider a Hyundai these days when looking to buy a car.
I do like some decent acceleration with the crappy on ramps we have here. And why is it not illegal already to have obstructions like foliage on an on ramp??? But I do also love those heat/ac seats. We had those on a rental we had once.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hey car enthusiasts, does anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the panic button on a Ford/Lincoln key fob?

That's the one thing I dislike the most about my car - the panic button is activated way too easily in my pockets or just by "holding it wrong" haha. I seem to set the alarm off at least once a week getting into or out of the car.

Open it up and see if you can get a little piece of paper between the button contacts, that's a typical way to physically disable it (vs. something like a setting in the car). Or, if you can disassemble it so the front shell is open, you might be able to break off, or file down the material behind the button, usually there's a little sort of contact protrusion.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Open it up and see if you can get a little piece of paper between the button contacts, that's a typical way to physically disable it (vs. something like a setting in the car). Or, if you can disassemble it so the front shell is open, you might be able to break off, or file down the material behind the button, usually there's a little sort of contact protrusion.
I'm hoping for a hidden system setting if such a thing exists. I may see about the paper trick, but since this is a lease, I'm not going to alter the fob to render it permanently unusable for the next owner of the car.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I don’t think you can ‘deactivate it’. Being those key fobs are so expensive, I’m not sure I would try to manipulate in any way that might void the warranty if something goes awry.

But, in any case, I would just probably Google/search [Perhaps Reddit (?)] to see if anybody has any remedies in your potential situation.

Otherwise, good luck being MacGyver.😁

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Common problem. This can be fixed with a $20 key fob cover. Amazon.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL

In the past I have used electrical tape on the circuit board to accomplish similar things. Like in college our fraternity had a house phone that was only supposed to be used for incoming calls. I took the phone apart and covered all of the contacts behind the number buttons with electrical tape so they couldn't be used to dial out.

Take the fob apart and look for the contact behind the panic button and cover it with electrical tape, then put the fob back together. This will make it so the button no longer works at all, so hopefully you never need it. At the end of your lease just take it back apart and remove the tape.

Reactions: Glideslope and D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m thinking the Explorer ST _might_ be my next car if I don’t opt for the C8.😁 (Or neither, As I’m toying with different ideas.)

I was watching some initial reviews on this car, and with the tech/sport package, there’s nothing that this vehicle doesn’t have (It even has massaging seats for the driver/passenger). Ford really upgraded the interior in terms of the center stack and the all-digital display with the tech package. It has the 3.0L T.T V6, producing ~400 HP/415TQ, which is considerable over the 3.5l eco-boost. [I was a previous SHO owner.]

I have _a lot_ of experience with the Explorer over the years as a work vehicle, and they are extremely reliable, tons of legroom and cargo space.

Also more of the point, where I live, I think the AWD factor would be really nice, plus it gives me the opportunity to have something that would be fun/sporty over the winter, where as the Scat is stored until spring.

Rapid Red would be my first Color choice.

0C26C16A-EE42-49EB-8AA0-C837B976591C.jpeg

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I am thinking of getting a 340i. Seems 1st owners are coming off their leases...especially with the new model launching. As a result, BMW are clearing these out with some good deals.

They seem to be flying off the lot. I was looking at a black one and by the time i called the next day it was gone.

Melbourne Red is a bold choice but i kinda like it...dunno why.

ce70d73e52274088a0877159ecee30a0.jpg

0e86a6fc2bfb46258409a3965c9b4a40.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don’t know. He was giving it plenty of beans. The acceleration is insane. But I’m not keen on the interior styling. Just a giant iPad glued to a wooden dash.

Yeah, that’s where the Model 3 falls short, the interior just seems so unrefined. That’s how pretty much every Tesla interior is on the market.

I will say the user interface on the control panel for the Tesla is intuitive and responsive. It controls almost every function in the vehicle.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As for Kia, I wasn’t really knocking them, they really have come along way with their designs/reliability. The Kia stinger is nothing to joke about either, that’s a very quick car that’s well equipped. The Telluride is interesting (There’s quite a few in my area), at first I didn’t know what to make of it, but I actually do like it. Anyways, Kia has turned a 180 in the last 10–15 years and rightfully so, because they improved in all the areas were they were lacking.

The Korean car manufacturers have come a long way, and are now virtually equivalent and in some cases superior to the Japanese brands. I would buy one over any American manufacturer at the moment when it comes to shopping cars, since the Big Three are fleeing that entire segment.

Unrefined sums it up.

Tesla's long-term plan to gain a foothold in the market appears to be succeeding, but I'd still feel like a guinea pig if I bought a Tesla. That, and I drive long distances in remote areas. I want a sub $30k economy car with a ~400 mile maximum range and the ability to fill up in the middle of nowhere. So I am not yet a viable customer for electrics.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Korean car manufacturers have come a long way, and are now virtually equivalent and in some cases superior to the Japanese brands. I would buy one over any American manufacturer at the moment when it comes to shopping cars, since the Big Three are fleeing that entire segment.

Tesla's long-term plan to gain a foothold in the market appears to be succeeding, but I'd still feel like a guinea pig if I bought a Tesla. That, and I drive long distances in remote areas. I want a sub $30k economy car with a ~400 mile maximum range and the ability to fill up in the middle of nowhere. So I am not yet a viable customer for electrics.
Same here. Next car will no doubt be a hybrid.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Watched some footage of Barret-Jackson Auto-auction last night:

A 2021 Lexus LC 500 convertible sold for ~2 million.

It was pretty intense, it was between two bidders. Every dollar the car earned, 100% proceeds went direct to the Boys and girls club of America and the Bob Woodruff foundation. (Barrett-Jackson made absolutely nothing on this specific auction, and even waived the auction block fee.)

This was the exact model that sold:

0BC41967-DCBD-4858-B9EC-9D729E51B81B.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Amazon wins again. I need a running light for my 2012 Fiat 500. It came with incandescent 7443 lights. I thought LEDs would be a good reasonably priced upgrade and ended up buying iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 7440 7443 T20 LED Bulbs with Projector Replacement for Back Up Reverse Lights or Tail Brake Lights,Xenon White.

61Ulr+2GTqL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I checked at the local O'Reilly store and with selection, there was just no competition and the price there for LEDs was $20-25. Amazon price: $16 vs about $9-11 for incandescents at O'Reilly. I want to say at Amazon standard Sylvania 7443s were as low as $6. One day delivery and at Amazon, they show as compatible with my 500, with free returns no less. I want to say that free returns on this scale is rather new for Amazon and again they are killing it.
Did I do good or mess up? :)

Watched some footage of Barret-Jackson Auto-auction last night:

A 2021 Lexus LC 500 convertible sold for ~2 million.

It was pretty intense, it was between two bidders. Every dollar the car earned, 100% proceeds went direct to the Boys and girls club of America and the Bob Woodruff foundation. (Barrett-Jackson made absolutely nothing on this specific auction, and even waived the auction block fee.)

This was the exact model that sold:

View attachment 889375

Can I rightfully say ridiculous or is there a reason besides desirability and having limitless funds to indulge ones self? Yes, if you have large quantities of money to toss, might as well be for a good cause.. :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can I rightfully say ridiculous or is there a reason besides desirability and having limitless funds to indulge ones self? Yes, if you have large quantities of money to toss, might as well be for a good cause.. :D

I don’t know if you’ve ever watched Barrett Jackson auto auction footage before , but the one they have down in Scottsdale, Arizona in January is massive. Not also does include pretty much every car you can think of that’s available for sale of all generations, but it draws in some huge flies that have deep pockets that are ready to drop some money during that week.

Every year, Barrett-Jackson usually raffles off two cars that may not have been released and/or a brand new model, and all the proceeds go direct to a foundation that will support something like autism/mental health awareness, children’s foundations, etc. So when you have buyers who are ready to spend some money, not also are they purchasing a car that’s probably extremely limited/rare, but also they know they have the expendable to drop that’s going towards a good cause.

It’s actually really fun to watch, as the bidding process is ‘live-time’ and it gets fairly intense between the buyers purchasing XYZ car.

[Oh, on Saturday night, the new 2020 Chevy C8 Corvette sold for 3 million, (Which MSRP it’s a ~60,000-ish car for the base) it was model #1/1 that sold. Yeah, these buyers are no joke.]

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don’t know if you’ve ever watched Barrett Jackson auto auction footage before , but the one they have down in Scottsdale, Arizona in January is massive. Not also does include pretty much every car you can think of that’s available for sale of all generations, but it draws in some huge flies that have deep pockets that are ready to drop some money during that week.

Every year, Barrett-Jackson usually raffles off two cars that may not have been released and/or a brand new model, and all the proceeds go direct to a foundation that will support something like autism/mental health awareness, children’s foundations, etc. So when you have buyers who are ready to spend some money, not also are they purchasing a car that’s probably extremely limited/rare, but also they know they have the expendable to drop that’s going towards a good cause.

It’s actually really fun to watch, as the bidding process is ‘live-time’ and it gets fairly intense between the buyers purchasing XYZ car.

[Oh, on Saturday night, the new 2020 Chevy C8 Corvette sold for 3 million, (Which MSRP it’s a ~60,000-ish car for the base) it was model #1/1 that sold. Yeah, these buyers are no joke.]
I have watched the auction in Scottsdale on occasion. It's not something I would seek out, the last one I caught while sitting at a dealer having some work done on a car. As I remember most of the cars I saw were classic US cars that sold in the $40-100k price range.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have watched the auction in Scottsdale on occasion. It's not something I would seek out, the last one I caught while sitting at a dealer having some work done on a car. As I remember most of the cars I saw were classic US cars that sold in the $40-100k price range.

If you’re not a real strong car enthusiast, then this wouldn’t be for you, but it’s my goal to go to the Barrett Jackson auction at some point in Scottsdale, rather as a spectator or even as a bidder one day.

Also, It’s not just U.S cars, it includes British/European Makes & models up for auction.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you’re not a real strong car enthusiast, then this wouldn’t be for you, but it’s my goal to go to the Barrett Jackson auction at some point in Scottsdale, rather as a spectator or even as a bidder one day.

Also, It’s not just U.S cars, it includes British/European Makes & models up for auction.
I have moments when I’m into cars and there were some classic cars I’d love to own. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.