Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The brochure for my SUV says it does 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds.

Is that good?

I actually put my SUV in eco anyway because there's so much traffic these days there's no point in putting it in sport mode lol.

Also, eco mode gives it a heavier, more luxurious feel.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
3.1 seconds! :D

7.7 would put me to sleep! ;)

Dude don't act like 3.1 seconds is fast. Let's be real, that's ludicrous and pretty rare on the roads to see a car that can pull it off.

7.7 for an SUV is pretty quick. Maybe for a car no, but for a big, heavy SUV you'll be accelerating good.

I also think the company releases data that is a bit slower than real world just to play it safe.

Might even be able to shave 7.7 down to sub <7.5 seconds

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
10 years ago, I would have said 6 seconds was "really good" and 7 seconds was probably more typical of many cars.

These days, a V6 Camry is in the high 5 second range and performance oriented cars are often in the 3-4 second range.

Just as a quick sampling for 2020 m/y:

Dodge Challenger Hellcat 3.7s
Ford GT500 3.3s
Camaro ZL1 3.5s
Corvette C8 2.8s

I'm too lazy to keep going and dig into the German makes, but you'll find plenty of sub-3-second times from Porsche, BMW, and others.
[automerge]1577168772[/automerge]
7.7 for an SUV is pretty quick. Maybe for a car no, but for a big, heavy SUV you'll be accelerating good.

Durango SRT 4.4s
Explorer ST 5.5s
BMW X5 4.8s
Porsche Cayenne Base 5.9s Turbo S 3.6s

All SUVs or CUVs that walk all over that.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My wife's SUV, Benz GLS550 = 5.2 (I've upgraded the ECU, may have shaved 0.2 and be 5 flat but 5.2 is official stock number). Close to 5,600lbs

My Model X Performance w/ Ludicrous Plus = 2.6 Weight same, close to 5,600lbs

Our previous SUV, Benz GL450 is around 7.1

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
10 years ago, I would have said 6 seconds was "really good" and 7 seconds was probably more typical of many cars.

These days, a V6 Camry is in the high 5 second range and performance oriented cars are often in the 3-4 second range.

Ford GT500 3.3s
Camaro ZL1 3.5s
Corvette C8 2.8s

I'm too lazy to keep going and dig into the German makes, but you'll find plenty of sub-3-second times from Porsche, BMW, and others.

Durango SRT 4.4s
Explorer ST 5.5s
BMW X5 4.8s

Dude I'm talking about base model.

Most people aren't interested in spending 100000 dollars for a bigger engine
[automerge]1577171235[/automerge]
My wife's SUV, Benz GLS550 = 5.2 (I've upgraded the ECU, may have shaved 0.2 and be 5 flat but 5.2 is official stock number). Close to 5,600lbs

My Model X Performance w/ Ludicrous Plus = 2.6 Weight same, close to 5,600lbs

Our previous SUV, Benz GL450 is around 7.1

Dude that's the 550 though. I"m talking about base model

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Dude I'm talking about base model.

Most people aren't interested in spending 100000 dollars for a bigger engine

Of the cars I listed, only the Porsche has a 6 figure MSRP. Most are in the mid-5-figure range.

Considering how many of those cars are sold, quite a few people are interested in the "bigger engine."

Thank you for proving once again that you're a badge whore when it comes to cars.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland

Barely a few. Only the 911 Turbo S tested as a sub-3 second car. In terms of traction available on current street-legal tires, anything sub-3 happens on semislicks only and they are not exactly the right choice for a daily (while being a perfect choice for a track driven car). They also do not exist in SUV sizes.

To the OP: if you'd be under 5 seconds in the real world (not carefully doctored press/manufacturer tests), you'd have a quick car.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Ford GT500 3.3s
Camaro ZL1 3.5s
Corvette C8 2.8s

Durango SRT 4.4s
Explorer ST 5.5s
BMW X5 4.8s

I wasn't sure what level was being talked about outside of "SUV 0-60" so I just listed the SUV's that I have owned.
We had an Expedition 20 years ago but I don't recall it's numbers.
And I have an F-350 Dually but you just mentioned SUV in general so that is what I posted, just trying to add information.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Is it relevant in the real world?
Scenario1: you are going up a steep hill and you are stuck behind a truck chugging along at 25mph.
You have a car with really quick 0-60 times but it's one of those buzzy Japanese things which produces maximum torque at about 8000 revs and a turbo that cuts in at 2000. You are currently doing 1200 revs
With no torque at low revs, it might take you 30 seconds or more to get past the truck. You might not even manage to get past.
Scenario 2: same truck, hill and speed but you are in a low pressure turbo diesel or old V12 Masses of low down grunt but not as fast 0-60 times.
You move out and with a twitch of the accelerator start to move past because all the torque is between the 1200-2500 range.
Sure, if you want to race someone away from the lights with a manual gearbox and you are prepared to rev the engine hard then slip the clutch, good 0-60 times might do the trick for you.
And if you like driving around with your engine revving really hard in low gear then you might have a stressful but reasonably fast time- but it really depends on the engine and the torque.
But if you want to float around town slipping past traffic with ease, in a relaxed fashion where just a squirt of the accelerator gets you out of trouble, then you need a good 'couple' and an ocean of torque which will be much more comfortable and satisfying every time.
So I would look for a fast time, good 30-50 times and masses of torque if I were you.

Reactions: compwiz1202

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Why is 0-60 speed a relevant factor? 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, the 0-60 time seems like a simple, single metric for non-enthustiasts to get their head around. 0-to-anything can get dangerous really quick, both in terms of safety _and_ points on your license :D

Heck, for real world applications, 50-70, 20-70, so many other considerations.

Plus with an SUV, if it's really meant to be a utility vehicle, what's your requirements for that? Ours can tow over 7000 lbs, carry 6 people in relative comfort along with 6 rollers, 6 backpacks and diving gear, a couple of coolers - the latter (minus the trailer) to the keys, 400 miles away without any any stops and arrive with a ~1/4 tank of gas with no need to refuel for the supply run :D

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Dude don't act like 3.1 seconds is fast. Let's be real, that's ludicrous and pretty rare on the roads to see a car that can pull it off.

I also think the company releases data that is a bit slower than real world just to play it safe.

Might even be able to shave 7.7 down to sub QUOTE]

There aren’t that many vehicles capable of doing 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and of course I am not surprised that this is news to your uneducated mind.

So yes, 3.1 is very nice. 7 is a whole world slower. Relevance this of course only has for racers and spec sheet comparers.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Dude I’m not a race car driver. Like I get it there are plenty of models available that can crush my SUV in 0-60 time.

But my point was that 7.7 is pretty swift for an SUV. And like I said I wouldn’t surprised if I’m real word it’s less than that.

Where I live traffic has gotten so bad though I just put it in eco and enjoy the ride lol

I also feel a big heavy suv that accelerates too fast feels unsettling. Am I the only one?

Like a small car that’s aerodynamic YES. Give me a 0-60 Tesla style down to 2 seconds haha but a big SUV just feels wrong

@ericwn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
But my point was that 7.7 is pretty swift for an SUV.

It is? I thought you were asking vs. telling:

The brochure for my SUV says it does 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds.

Is that good?

:rolleyes:

Pipes for Christmas :D

IMG_6460_1200.jpeg

Reactions: circatee

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Of the cars I listed, only the Porsche has a 6 figure MSRP. Most are in the mid-5-figure range.

Considering how many of those cars are sold, quite a few people are interested in the "bigger engine."

Thank you for proving once again that you're a badge whore when it comes to cars.

Oh 100%

Im not wasting money on a bigger engine if I get nothing out of it

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
People who actually enjoy driving generally "get something" out of a bigger/more powerful engine.

In the past, you also sometimes would run into reliability issues with an engine too small for a car as you'd be straining the engine constantly. That's not a BIG deal on cars these days as even 4 bangers can put out some impressive power numbers. I still see that happen sometimes with people towing with engines too small...

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
People who actually enjoy driving generally "get something" out of a bigger/more powerful engine.

In the past, you also sometimes would run into reliability issues with an engine too small for a car as you'd be straining the engine constantly. That's not a BIG deal on cars these days as even 4 bangers can put out some impressive power numbers. I still see that happen sometimes with people towing with engines too small...

Right I get that. Obviously it’s fun to zoom around.

But for me unless it’s a sports car or something like a sports car, it’s not that fun to zoom around in my big bulky SUV.

But more importantly, zoom around where? From one traffic jam to the next? Lol

My city has a lot of traffic plus I don’t really go past the speed limits.

So if I need to go from 0-45 mph I can do that quickly.

Hence me saying that 7.7 isn’t bad.

This wasn’t meant to be a discussion of the race car level 0-60 times.

Just a casual conversation about cars from a consumer level.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Even just for "cruising around" a bigger engine can have benefits.

More cylinders usually idle smoother. There are certain designs that are inherently more balanced and smoother running than others(some Italian makes, for example, have been known to use flat plane crank V8s vs. the typical street use cross plane as they rev better, but idle worse), but that's just a general rule.

Not only that, but GENERALLY a more powerful engine can be geared such that it's running at lower RPMs when cruising at speed, and that gives an overall more comfortable/enjoyable ride.

A lot of good old American V8s had nice, flat torque curves from 2K to 4K rpms or so, which didn't necessarily give great performance but let them cruise without feeling strained. That's part of what makes something like a Town Car so comfortable in even at 70-80mph-the engine is running at 2K or so and you just don't feel it.

I get the feeling that you're trying to justify the fact that you have a base model RX350 or something like that(not that that's a bad vehicle by any means, but let's be realistic about where it sits in the market) and want to continue to pretend to be a high roller.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
He is probably like a person that I know. The person that I know has a BMW M3, but only bought it due to its perceived reputation and prestige it comes with it. But knows nothing when it comes to the car itself. No idea what kind of engine it has, the power it makes, went driving in the snow with summer tires and got stuck and didn't know why the car got stuck, you have to change the oil??!?, etc.

He acts big, but can't have a convo about it outside of, " It's really fast".

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
He is probably like a person that I know. The person that I know has a BMW M3, but only bought it due to its perceived reputation and prestige it comes with it. But knows nothing when it comes to the car itself. No idea what kind of engine it has, the power it makes, went driving in the snow with summer tires and got stuck and didn't know why the car got stuck, you have to change the oil??!?, etc.

He acts big, but can't have a convo about it outside of, " It's really fast".

Ouch! Someone who isn't a car person/enthusiast honestly shouldn't buy an M-car or really any other performance car.

Cars are many times more reliable now than they were ~25 years ago, but higher performance cars are also somewhat higher strung. Stickier tires don't last as long, high performance brakes don't always last as long, and highly tuned engines often have more that can go wrong. When stuff breaks, it's usually more expensive to fix-or at least fix correctly. That's also not to mention that powerful cars can get a person into trouble REALLY quickly(and I don't mean trouble with the law through speeding).

If someone wants "the badge" they're probably a lot better off with a 320i or really any other non-M car.

Either that or just buy a Camry. At one time at least, that was the most popular car among millionaires anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I mean, it’s still a Kia 😁, but design-wise, it’s come a long way for the 2021 model. (Sorta/kinda reminiscent of the new 2020 Sonata cues.)

F3C73F09-7087-4EDC-8208-F48CD5A2837D.jpeg
095BB545-BB30-41CA-8B32-D1F8190A2A2B.jpeg

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Why is 0-60 speed a relevant factor? ?‍♂️
I know, right!?!
How many people are lining their SUV's up at a light trying to find someone to race with them... to where? The next light? I find this sort of thing a bit ridiculous, tbh. But, I'm old and at my age, I prefer comfort and a large interior, with all the creature comforts like what the new Toyota/Lexus Safety Sense features provide, plus heated and air conditioned seats, quiet interior, etc. Means a lot more to me than 0-60 times or top speed.
[automerge]1577927057[/automerge]
I mean, it’s still a Kia ?, but design-wise, it’s come a long way for the 2021 model. (Sorta/kinda reminiscent of the new 2020 Sonata cues.)

View attachment 886156 View attachment 886157
Kia and Hyundai used to be the butt of jokes (a la Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift), but they have both come a long way. Hyundai in particular (with Genesis being their luxury line) are looking good, reliable, winning awards and are moving into Toyota/Lexus status. I prefer my Toyota's, but I would consider a Hyundai these days when looking to buy a car.

Reactions: Gutwrench
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.