Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I was still watching the video when I decided to check the reserve cost, $100 fully refundable all the way to delivery day which isn't for another 2 years, and I my reservation number was in the 50,000s that soon after he said go order. So 150,000'ish orders ... I can see that.
Even then Tesla has a 7 day / 1,000 mile whichever comes first return window.

Whether I get one or not.... 2 years is a while to make that decision. Most likely I will just trade in my current Model X for a newer tri-motor model X in late 2020-2021 and stick with that but I don't know the future yet.
I've owned several "muscle cars", turbo cars, trucks, suvs. Current vehicles in the driveway now is my F-350 Dually straight-piped and programmer almost 500HP/1000TRQ, MBenz GLS550 ECU swap 500+HP/600TRQ, and the Model X Performance w/ Ludicrous+ almost 800HP is my favorite car to daily drive out of everything I've owned.
Maybe because I'm a bit older but still love that acceleration.

If I do decide to go through with it. I think I'll order quite a bit of satin black vinyl and wrap it. Same with the ATV.

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
LA Auto show this week. Anyone here going?
[automerge]1574699145[/automerge]
Musk is claiming 146,000 Cybertrucks have been pre-ordered within a three day timeframe, that’s a pretty stout number since the keynote, considering their stock allegedly dropped after the whole window shatter debacle.

One thing I also forgot to mention during the presentation, was the constant jabs at Ford, when Musk made a comment about being ‘built tough’ when referring to the Cybertruck after the sledge hammer demo and also Tesla debuted a video of the Cybertruck was physically pulling a F150 ‘uphill’. (Aside from the Cybertruck V.S. Porsche dig race).

Anyways, I’ve never really followed Tesla all _that_ much, sort of intrigued of the technology they’re offering, but more than now, I’m curious to see what the Cybertruck can offer given the notoriety it’s receiving in the last 48 hours.
Apparently that window had shattered because it was tested repeatedly before the show. I think this issue will be addressed prior to release though

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Musk is claiming 146,000 Cybertrucks have been pre-ordered within a three day timeframe, that’s a pretty stout number since the keynote

<Snip>

Actually, it’s now being reported 200,000 orders since the past report of 146,000 two days ago. Yeah, I’d say that’s definitely a lucrative number with a 54,000 increase of preorders. [I think part of the contribution of the volume of pre-orders is not just the $40,000 price point, but this truck is so obscure looking and so different, it almost makes it more attractive for somebody to have something that’s beyond the norm of what is defined as a truck.] To be honest, I said a few days back this ‘wasn’t for me’, but even after watching multiple videos and hands-on assessments post keynote, I’d say it’s grown on me quite a bit, but just from a standpoint of being more curious than anything.

Oh, And Musk discusses the window shatter failure in additional detail:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/elon-musk-explains-tesla-cybertruck-window-fail

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The fun is beginning

IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Alcantara steering wheels aren't nice. They're breeding ground for bacteria, much more than any other surface. Disgusting.

Yeah, as a material, in concept, it's awesome, especially in performance vehicles (I had Alcantara Sparcos and a wheel) that aren't used frequently, where you want maximum grip (hands, rear end ...). In a daily, in anything where you sweat, occasionally have to handle a wheel with anything other than just washed hands, it gets nasty really quickly.

When I was cross shopping ZL1s, that was a notable downside, that model variant uses it on the wheel, door inserts, center console/knee bolsters. A few owners purchased the non-ZL1 parts to swap them out.
[automerge]1575469367[/automerge]
Oh, I've got a couple of parts coming:

OEM black hood vents, bought from a guy, basically new/mint, he replaced his hood with aftermarket, was cool just selling the vents. It makes a really good contrast against lighter colors, should go great with my GT350 wing, and Ford Aussie does a factory car called a GT R Spec, that's basically a GT loaded up with Ford Performance parts (including a supercharger), but they do the black vent swap, looks very cool.

Also have a Ford Performance blank rear trunk panel coming, basically it's an OEM panel without the holes for the rear badge alignment. So you can go no badge, or use something aftermarket - I plan on the latter, my really slick coyote badge I bought like 3 years ago and never used. It's nickel on red, I thought about painting the background orange, but there's all sorts of other small red details on the car already (like the Brembo logo on the brakes). Since it's based on the GT350 badge design, those are all red anyway ...

:cool:

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Reactions: senseless

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
GM unveils 2021 Suburban/Tahoe.

https://jalopnik.com/2021-chevrolet-suburban-and-2021-chevrolet-tahoe-here-1840349873/amp

So...GM literally cross-used the Silverado grill to the Tahoe? Not sure how I feel about this on the Tahoe styling. I’d just opt for the Silverado personally.
View attachment 881997

Holy **** that is ugly. What’s with Chevy not knowing how to design a damn grill? They’re not the only culprit though. You also have BMW with their giant pig-nose grills and Toyota/Lexus, the worst offender there being the Avalon.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Holy **** that is ugly. What’s with Chevy not knowing how to design a damn grill? They’re not the only culprit though. You also have BMW with their giant pig-nose grills and Toyota/Lexus, the worst offender there being the Avalon.

Yup, as Zenithal mentioned, Toyota is another culprit. The Avalons New grill is probably 90% fake. It’s like these design engineers are trying to make a bold statement with their design cues “Hey, I’m aggressive, look at me...”😁 personally, I think they’re trying to appeal to a younger demographic with the whole chrome accent being lesser of what we see with these front Facia revamps.

The 2019 Chevy Camaro front end was a perfect example of that, it was atrocious, and GM had to go back and re-tweak it for the 2020 model. Sometimes I think these front-end designs are putting too much into this, which makes it look obscure.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/05/02/2020-chevy-camaro-ss-emergency-facelift/

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Obscure ... ?

Holy hell, I dropped a metal clip from the rear trunk panel into the trunk, like in between the two laters of metal. It's kind of a known "gotcha" area, since access is __extremely__ limited. The new panel had new clips, so I decided to remove the old ones, sure enough the last of 4, zing, right into the abyss of the trunk. If it was just hanging out, no sweat, but what you get is it rattling around when you open/close the trunk.

Anyway, scored a new magnetic pickup tool from Amazon, 24" flexible, with a super strong magnet, got it almost instantly (totally blind just shoved it down an access opening)! Issue resolved, and a new tool for the box :D

New panel looks great, the coyote badge is excellent, looks great and causes a little WTH moments with people behind me :D

Reactions: 0388631

KImono Gryphon

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Oxford, Pa.
Im actually picking up a new Toyota this afternoon... im so excited...

Just wished to share this little jem, just picked up from Team Toyota in Glen Mills, Pa. two nights ago. Paid for it completely in cash, no car payments.

2019 with only 1380 miles for a dream price, and with some arm wrenching to the salesman, got a New 7 year car warranty with it.

This also has the power side access seat in it, a $5,000 dollar option by itself. The salesman said this was a very rare combination of the colour, the side access seat and with the minivan with the LE package. Is there a way to break down how many were built in this colour with these options... ?

The colour is Alumina Jade Metallic and shifts between smoke grey and smoke green in differing daylight.

It’s a minivan, yes, but decided to get the best one because I promised my wife I would, after our 2004 Ford Freestar lunched it’s transmission at 184,000 miles in May and have been without any car since then.

Future plans include Borla Muffler, white letter tires, and different wheel, something machined and 5 spoke, like Rotoform Nues

Simply love the van, rides like an absolute dream, and wouldn't trade the world for it, since the cash to buy it outright was an inheritance when my mother passed away in October. I'd give it back in a heartbeat if I could have my mom back, and healthy from cancer.

Do each of your friends and family a favour, tell them you love them and care for them, because you never know when you won't have the chance to again.

-Gryphon <><
1 Corinthians 15 : 1-4

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
Just wished to share this little jem, just picked up from Team Toyota in Glen Mills, Pa. two nights ago. Paid for it completely in cash, no car payments.

We used to have the AWD XLE model. The wife got rid of it, but misses it now.

That thing worked well in the wet/snow. It could scoot off the line too for a mini-van. On the highway it was capable as well. Made a lot of dudes salty... Men hate betting passed by a mini-van!

My wife wants me to get her back in one of those. Lots of room and drives really well!

Reactions: KImono Gryphon

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

2019 with only 1380 miles for a dream price, and with some arm wrenching to the salesman, got a New 7 year car warranty with it.

This also has the power side access seat in it, a $5,000 dollar option by itself. The salesman said this was a very rare combination of the colour, the side access seat and with the minivan with the LE package. Is there a way to break down how many were built in this colour with these options... ?

The colour is Alumina Jade Metallic and shifts between smoke grey and smoke green in differing daylight.

It’s a minivan, yes, but decided to get the best one because I promised my wife I would, after our 2004 Ford Freestar lunched it’s transmission at 184,000 miles in May and have been without any car since then.

Future plans include Borla Muffler, white letter tires, and different wheel, something machined and 5 spoke, like Rotoform Nues

Simply love the van, rides like an absolute dream, and wouldn't trade the world for it, since the cash to buy it outright was an inheritance when my mother passed away in October. I'd give it back in a heartbeat if I could have my mom back, and healthy from cancer.

Do each of your friends and family a favour, tell them you love them and care for them, because you never know when you won't have the chance to again.

-Gryphon <><
1 Corinthians 15 : 1-4
Enjoy your new van.

Reactions: KImono Gryphon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I did some thinking today and decided to ‘test the market’ by putting the GT up for sale. I’m not really wanting to sell it quite yet (Or maybe not at all, it depends), so I’m gonna price at a bit higher at $25,200 (It only has 16,000 miles). More or less, I’m sure someone will try to haggle me down through private resale, which is another tactic why I placed the price higher. The car is fully paid off, so I don’t owe anything on it. So I can take that money towards the C8 if need be when the time comes, the only downside I’m facing right now, is I don’t have any of the OEM parts from all the modifications I added, which I know potential buyers typically want the OE parts included with the sale.

^Posted from August 26:

Long post-

So it happened, I sold the GT. I initially had it up for sale, had a few hits, but I took the listing down and decided to keep it. Until I received a call from someone who initially showed interest, but backed out for whatever reason. So the guy calls me and wants to drive about 200 miles from his house to come look at it. I told him it was in storage and it wasn’t being driven [Nor would I permit any test drives due to salt on the roads], which he said was fine. He asked me to have a Carfax/title and all document/maintenance records, which I said sure.

Ok, fast track the following day, he shows up with a freakin huge car trailer, looks at the GT, asks me like 100 questions, but asks the same questions in different ways, (Almost like he was trying to catch me in a lie, which wouldn’t work anyways, I’m professionally trained in counter-Intel.😁)

Anyways, he goes back to his vehicle, makes a phone call and the next thing I know, he comes out, and says ‘let’s do it‘. Honestly, I was completely caught off guard and I didn’t think he would be willing to go through with the deal. But sure enough, he pays cash full asking price, was signed over and he trailers the GT away.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m not sure maybe if I really wanted to sell it (And weirdly, I wasn’t as excited as thought I would be that I did sell it), but I didn’t think maybe he would go through with it or needed time to think about it...you know, the typical ‘buyer responses’.

It’s nice to have the cash in the pocket, being it was fully paid for. I’m not sure what my next move will be, I’m still highly considering the C8 (This is probably my next move), which was my original intention. Or, maybe still consider a GT 350 that I was looking at a while back, since I went with the 18’ Scat Pack.

That said, I just want to say how much I enjoyed the GT, the 5.0 coyote was nothing short of being amazing to drive, it’s obnoxiously loud when you want it to be, and all together, Ford made a great car. I think that’s what I’ll miss most about the GT, was its aggressive nature and the customization I put into it was my ‘own project’ from the beginning, and I enjoyed every cent I put into it, which I know was the major selling point for this buyer really liked how I completely transformed this car. Awesome ride.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.