Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Now, what might this be? I confess that I have never heard of it, (and I have made many acquaintances - and some fast friends - in the world of cheese).

Ah.

I see.

I think I would find myself in pretty much complete agreement with the pair of you on this.

Glad they cleared that up, I was only kidding I wouldn't eat it let alone sit in the same room with that. There are people out there who do love it, it is the least classy of all the rare classy cheeses. Maybe it's the most classy...I don't know.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Grill-Up-The-Goodness.aspx

Hmm, Valveeta. Which I just grilled on the skillet, cheese and mustard. Which reminded me, when I was in High school, sometimes I'd come home, take a slice of bread, smear mustard on it and eat that as a snack. Did I tell you, I really like mustard?? :D

Speaking of cheese, I also love pastrami and muenster cheese sandwiches, warmed up so the chees is gooey.

And then there is blue cheese, as a kid, I would not have ever guessed I's touch that with a ten foot pool but at 13 we made a trip to the Maytag Dairy Farm in Newton, Iowa, took the tour, saw the curing tubs of cheese, and my taste buds were rocked forever. Still love it. :D

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

Hmm, Valveeta. Which I just grilled on the skillet, cheese and mustard. Which reminded me, when I was in High school, sometimes I'd come home, take a slice of bread, smear mustard on it and eat that as a snack. Did I tell you, I really like mustard?? :D

Mentioning Velveeta in a cheese enthusiast thread is blasphemous :p

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes agreed, although I suspect you might not find velveeta to be a desirable choice.

Very probably.

A nice, well-made grilled or toasted cheese sandwich is very tasty! HOWEVER..... I prefer it with something other than Velveeta. To me, Velveeta is to cheese like Miracle Whip is to mayonnaise.......

Ah, I remember Miracle Whip in the late 80s; it appeared on our shelves (accompanied by some rather good advertising, if I recall).

I must say that the brand names from the US that are referred to on these threads here - as either reminiscence or recommendation - are a complete mystery to me; you simply do not see them in Europe - at all.

Mind you, European culinary - and cheese - traditions tend to be pretty good, and are sometimes exceptionally good....and you will never see US cheeses - above all, the strange synthetic ones - on shelves in Europe.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, after a period abroad, just after my return home, in early October, my favourite cheesemonger's suffered a fire - an electrical fault in a fridge. They have been closed ever since.

Now, they had hoped to have been in a position to reopen the place by early November (a date I always thought too optimistic) but should manage the end of this month, or, perhaps, December.

However, I have been on short cheese rations, an that is having returned home from two months abroad where the cheese could not have been said to have been of a stellar quality.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Speaking of cheese, I also love pastrami and muenster cheese sandwiches, warmed up so the chees is gooey.

And then there is blue cheese, as a kid, I would not have ever guessed I's touch that with a ten foot pool but at 13 we made a trip to the Maytag Dairy Farm in Newton, Iowa, took the tour, saw the curing tubs of cheese, and my taste buds were rocked forever. Still love it. :D

Not a fan of Velveeta but I love some Vermont cheddar in grilled cheese and tomato sandwich... migrating to plain grilled cheese (yes, with mustard) w/ a mug of tomato soup as the weather turns cold. Just stocked up on the soup the other day when loading up my pantry for the winter. I doctor on that soup a little w/ a spritz of lemon and a healthy tap on the tabasco sauce bottle before serving.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not a fan of Velveeta but I love some Vermont cheddar in grilled cheese and tomato sandwich... migrating to plain grilled cheese (yes, with mustard) w/ a mug of tomato soup as the weather turns cold. Just stocked up on the soup the other day when loading up my pantry for the winter. I doctor on that soup a little w/ a spritz of lemon and a healthy tap on the tabasco sauce bottle before serving.

Valveeta only for grilled cheese sandwiches. :)

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Valveeta only for grilled cheese sandwiches. :)

I might be condemning it without having tried it. :eek: Not even really sure. I think friends of mine had it in their fridge when I was a kid and if so then I have eaten it because we all shared grilled cheese sandwiches no matter whose house we were in after school. I think it was maybe like kids with today's microwaveable Mac'n'Cheese: making the grilled cheese sandwiches was part of the ritual, showing off we were grown up enough to do it.

My dad wasn't a fan of any kind of processed food and would read labels and make remarks in grocery stores like "wow, they put this in food now? We used to clean pipelines with stuff like this during the war."

My mom would roll her eyes and we'd be spared some food coloring or slightly preserved crackers or whatever for another month. :D But on balance it's probably good we skipped a lot of convenience foods, who knows. I might never have learned how to cook otherwise? There are jokes about people who can't boil water but if you don't have to do more than open a can or a box then... pretty much we're like that scene in Downton Abbey where Lady Sibyl says confidently "Of course I can, everyone knows how to fill a kettle..."

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I like Brie on ginger snaps. Great flavour combination!

omg i have to try that!
[doublepost=1478280507][/doublepost]
I agree and I am a huge fan of mustard as well. I put mustard (mostly classic yellow) or Frank's Red Hot on a lot of foods.

I make Grilled Cheese with a lot of different kinds of cheeses, but it's great with Valveeta.

So what's the deal with Velveeta, it just has a lower melting point so it's quick and smooths out right away? Upvote was for the mustards, I must have half a door-shelf of them and will put it on practically anything in the bread line including a plain english muffin sometimes, I'm incorrigible.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
omg i have to try that!
[doublepost=1478280507][/doublepost]

So what's the deal with Velveeta, it just has a lower melting point so it's quick and smooths out right away? Upvote was for the mustards, I must have half a door-shelf of them and will put it on practically anything in the bread line including a plain english muffin sometimes, I'm incorrigible.

Not sure I can pinpoint it but it's probably the texture and mild flavor. Just creamy comfort food. If I have it I will use many types of cheese. I even sometimes will throw in leftover meats or a fried egg.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I like Brie on ginger snaps. Great flavour combination!

Try blue cheese on ginger snaps; or a sharp cheddar on oatmeal biscuits.

Not sure I can pinpoint it but it's probably the texture and mild flavor. Just creamy comfort food. If I have it I will use many types of cheese. I even sometimes will throw in leftover meats or a fried egg.

Well, we don't have this velvet in Europe - I have never even seen the product.

But, there are cheese slices that are good on toast, (with yes, mustard, some finely chopped onion, and - perhaps - tomato); that was a student staple, in the flats of friends, after the pub, I seem to recall.......

Reactions: AlliFlowers

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I tried some cheese that was a bit sharp tasting and molded on the outside (forgot the name). Very tasty in small quantities

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I might be condemning it without having tried it. :eek: Not even really sure. I think friends of mine had it in their fridge when I was a kid and if so then I have eaten it because we all shared grilled cheese sandwiches no matter whose house we were in after school. I think it was maybe like kids with today's microwaveable Mac'n'Cheese: making the grilled cheese sandwiches was part of the ritual, showing off we were grown up enough to do it.

My dad wasn't a fan of any kind of processed food and would read labels and make remarks in grocery stores like "wow, they put this in food now? We used to clean pipelines with stuff like this during the war."

My mom would roll her eyes and we'd be spared some food coloring or slightly preserved crackers or whatever for another month. :D But on balance it's probably good we skipped a lot of convenience foods, who knows. I might never have learned how to cook otherwise? There are jokes about people who can't boil water but if you don't have to do more than open a can or a box then... pretty much we're like that scene in Downton Abbey where Lady Sibyl says confidently "Of course I can, everyone knows how to fill a kettle..."

My favorite cheeses for other than grilled cheese sandwhiches are Blue, Muenster, Brie, and White American on a Black Forest ham sandwhich with the new variant mayo made with olive oil, hmm. :D

I agree and I am a huge fan of mustard as well. I put mustard (mostly classic yellow) or Frank's Red Hot on a lot of foods.

I make Grilled Cheese with a lot of different kinds of cheeses, but it's great with Valveeta.

Yes, mustard! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.