Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Caramelised onion - and cheddar - is another pair of perfectly matched delights that I will not refuse, should they make an appearance on my cheeseboard.
Neither will I, but these were in the cheese. I was apprehensive about it. I did buy it and found out I enjoyed it. A little too much. I think it was the missus catching me eating it out of the fridge with crackers, with the kitchen lights turned off that did it for me. One you had a bite, you wanted to eat the entire half pound block.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I have cheese, I usually don't bother with anything else -- crackers or bread, whatever, just enjoy savoring the cheese itself. An exception to that is when I have Olive Bread around; that goes nicely with cheese and/or with a dipping oil. That cartelized onion-and-cheddar combination sounds really rather intriguing, though!

Reactions: JamesMike

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
When I have cheese, I usually don't bother with anything else -- crackers or bread, whatever, just enjoy savoring the cheese itself. An exception to that is when I have Olive Bread around; that goes nicely with cheese and/or with a dipping oil. That cartelized onion-and-cheddar combination sounds really rather intriguing, though!

What about the super runny/soupy ones? Just attack with a spoon?:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Neither will I, but these were in the cheese. I was apprehensive about it. I did buy it and found out I enjoyed it. A little too much. I think it was the missus catching me eating it out of the fridge with crackers, with the kitchen lights turned off that did it for me. One you had a bite, you wanted to eat the entire half pound block.

Ha. Caught, 'red-handed' with the cheddar, were you?

Mind you, I empathise fully and understand wholly the unadulterated greed that can strike while you are at the fridge door raiding the cheese.

Guilty, m'lud.

What about the super runny/soupy ones? Just attack with a spoon?:D

French bread - fresh French bread - for mopping, there is nothing better on this Earth.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, well, with these days and kids, getting up for a feeding or diaper change results in me raiding the fridge for a half-sleepy snack and then a quick cleaning of the teeth and back to bed. I had some feta and grapes last night at around 4 AM.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, well, with these days and kids, getting up for a feeding or diaper change results in me raiding the fridge for a half-sleepy snack and then a quick cleaning of the teeth and back to bed. I had some feta and grapes last night at around 4 AM.

Yes, grapes - the old 'classic' - rather than caramelised onions, or apricot or fig preserve - on a cheese board work (and accompany cheese) exceedingy well.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
What exactly is Humboldt Fog?

Every time someone here in the cheese thread says Humboldt Fog, I think of the Humboldt Penguin... here's one stepping off the scale after weighing in at the London Zoo. Suppose he's not sampled the Humboldt Fog cheese (yet)... I want to try it but I have to mind the scales too! All these cheeses I have not tried yet will be good in moderation, but... I can barely spell that word. Anyway, meet Mr. Humboldt:

HumboldtPenguinWeighsIn2016Aug25_csm03_14.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Every time someone here in the cheese thread says Humboldt Fog, I think of the Humboldt Penguin... here's one stepping off the scale after weighing in at the London Zoo. Suppose he's not sampled the Humboldt Fog cheese (yet)... I want to try it but I have to mind the scales too! All these cheeses I have not tried yet will be good in moderation, but... I can barely spell that word. Anyway, meet Mr. Humboldt:

View attachment 646630

Well, I can envisage a penguin far better than a cheese I had never heard of, let alone had an opportunity to sample.

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Middle vein is a vegetable ash layer and the cheese round is dusted with it prior to "aging." All edible. It has your typical soft goat cheese flavors with a hint of blue/stilton, minus the bite.

DP7Q

That looks quite enticing, the sort of cheese making the acquaintance of which would be of no small interest to me.

Is it anything like Morbier? Morbier - an elegant French cheese with quite a bit of character, especially when aged - also comes with a lovely layer of ash in the middle, but it is made from cow's milk, and not from the milk of goats.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Is it anything like Morbier? Morbier - an elegant French cheese with quite a bit of character, especially when aged - also comes with a lovely layer of ash in the middle, but it is made from cow's milk, and not from the milk of goats.
I'm afraid I've never heard of such a cheese.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm afraid I've never heard of such a cheese.

Well, it is a venerable French classic cheese.

Any serious cheesemonger in France - or cheeseboard from France - will either have it, or will wish to discuss it, should you float the topic with them.

Personally, I like it a lot, but serve it occasionally rather than regularly.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I am quite fond of Käserei Champignon. A triple cream brie like cheese with mushrooms in it. OMG. If it didn't come in small wedges I'd gorge myself on it. The same company also makes Campozola bleu cheese. So rich and creamy and bleu cheesy, it's great. Both are great examples of German cheeses.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am quite fond of Käserei Champignon. A triple cream brie like cheese with mushrooms in it. OMG. If it didn't come in small wedges I'd gorge myself on it. The same company also makes Campozola bleu cheese. So rich and creamy and bleu cheesy, it's great. Both are great examples of German cheeses.

Cambozola I know and quite like - it is a sort of blue Brie, but of German origin.

The other I have never heard of, although some German cheeses do tend to have had flavours added.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
That looks quite enticing, the sort of cheese making the acquaintance of which would be of no small interest to me.

Nah, they're pretty different. It has far more in common with boucheron.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

pkginstall

Suspended
Aug 5, 2016
I love America and American things, you are a wonderful country and lovely people (on the whole), but I wanted to add this:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I've had some decent cheeses made in America, but none of them were American cheese.

I'm chuckling reading this.

To be honest, America (aka the US) is not what comes to mind - at all - when I think of the great cheese producing nations.

On the Oregon coast there is a cheese factory that makes great cheese curds.

But Oregon seems to do a lot of interesting things - it seems to have a thriving and excellent coffee culture, from what I read the beer is pretty good, one of my favourite groups, - Pink Martini - hails from there - so, learning that cheese is made there does not seem to me to be terribly unexpected.

Manchego, pecorino romano, Oak cheddar and some Australian cheddar.

Ah, Manchego, now, that is an interesting and quite unique cheese. Tart, crumbly, intriguing. A welcome addition to an any cheeseboard, including mine. (The auto spell thought I wished to write 'chessboard).

Pecorino is also well worth sampling, as it has a rather specific flavour, but I'd imagine that it is something of a minority - or acquired - taste.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For quality American cheese's, one should expect to seek out specialty shops and pay a premium. I also enjoy Pink Martini's music... In fact, I thought I was the only one who'd heard of them. Yes, PR is a very distinct cheese that doesn't quite win favors when we have family over. My wife introduced me to it a few years after we'd married and I naturally fell in love with it. The one I picked out today was quite crumbly in nature. My favorite "breakfast" sandwich is rosemary bread brushed with olive oil, toasted in a pan, and then laid with tomato, thin shaving of pecorino romano, some fresh cracked pepper and maybe some wilted spinach. Delicious.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For quality American cheese's, one should expect to seek out specialty shops and pay a premium. I also enjoy Pink Martini's music... In fact, I thought I was the only one who'd heard of them. Yes, PR is a very distinct cheese that doesn't quite win favors when we have family over. My wife introduced me to it a few years after we'd married and I naturally fell in love with it. The one I picked out today was quite crumbly in nature. My favorite "breakfast" sandwich is rosemary bread brushed with olive oil, toasted in a pan, and then laid with tomato, thin shaving of pecorino romano, some fresh cracked pepper and maybe some wilted spinach. Delicious.

Re Pink Martini, I have most of their albums, - came across them about 13 or 14 years ago - and saw them play live on a European tour around four years ago. Brilliant, courteous, utterly professional and supremely gifted musicians and performers. And I love their stuff.

Your breakfast sandwich sounds delicious.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I was late to the party. I discovered them back in March of 2009, on the old Lala music store that Apple bought. On the sandwich front, you can also use herbed butter, but you'll want to be on top of things so as not to burn it. If not baking ourselves, there's a very nice bakery in the city that does a lovely personal size focaccia which makes for a wonderful "slim" sandwich. Calling it slim would be deceptive. I've had some lovely rustic breads from bakeries in Sonoma and Napa counties. There was one in Del Norte county that did something quite extrodinary with olives and olive oil, but I can't recall the name nor the city within the county. Most likely because I'd gone there a few weeks prior to the turn of the new millenia. I quite like Napa and Sonoma. They often remind me of the Italian countryside. It also costs a third of the traditional costs to go to Italy. Food isn't quite up to par, but it's a wonderful experience. Especially during the fall and winter. The grape vines may be barren, but it's not wedding season and no one will see a Bride-zilla around. The restaurants and wineries also offer unique North European style fare. Very rich, very filling. One place managed to work cream into every dish. You won't realize it, even with an astute palette, but it's there.

Had wonderful piroshki (sp?) in Russia. Beef, beef and potato, potato, mushrooms and spinach, garlic and sardines (amazing), and more. Had pierogies and other typical Polish fare in Poland. I recall tears streaming down one of my eyes after consuming a large chunk of their rokpol, a Danish blue type of cheese. It was akin to licking a car battery; a true zing was had in the old cranium.

In regard to the sandwich again, I used to lightly fry my tomatoes with dried rosemary but found it imparted a strange flavor. I may make a rosemary mayo on the fly using fresh rosemary from the garden provided it's not a pain to wash, but the rosemary in the bread works fine. Bonus if you use a cheese in the bread making process, so when you toast it, you get a wonderful crisped cheese flavor and aroma. The caramelization adds a subtle layer of flavor.

I often wonder how I've managed to keep fit my entire life given my love for food and drink.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, yes, I have encountered those blue cheeses of the former communist world. Robust, to put it mildly, but, as I mentioned earlier on this thread, I have yet to meet a blue I dislike, although, I far prefer some to others.

Re Piroshki, they vary depending on the source.

Some of the Russian, Polish, Lithuanian ones can be very good, but, too many in my experience have been leaden and heavy, and, to be perfectly honest, while I like the really good ones - which tend to be what you will find of there is an exceptionally good chef who knows what they are doing preparing them - I can live without them.

However, in my experience, the versions of this dish served in central Asia tend to be excellent, succulent and quite tasty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.