Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That style of Brie is one of my favourites as well.
I wouldn't have expected that I would have liked it, and liked it so much, as I tend to prefer my cheese "unadulterated".

But, this was delicious, and an excellent - a truly superb - special treat cheese for this time of year; the almost liquid texture helped, as well, or, perhaps I was simply lucky to have been able to try out such a superlative Brie.

Reactions: Joeyyye

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to some cheese today:

Two blues: Gorgonzola Dolce, (a lovely blue from Italy), and Roquefort (a sheep's milk blue cheese from France).

Semi soft, or soft, style cheeses included Brillat Savarin, some rather tasty Brie de Meaux, both from France, and a superb Taleggio (from Italy).

And then, there were a few others, which included a lovely slice of Raclette (from France), and a stunning (just opened) Morbier (also from France), plus an excellent local goat's cheese with fenugreek.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of my favourite things, then again I also like kefir and almost any dairy well except kumis.
Yes, I also like (actually, love) kefir, and adored greek natural yogurt when I first encountered it.

My parents had loved it, and my father used to put honey in his, which he had learned to do in Greece - and this was something I also noticed was done by my French host family with their own homemade yogurt and honey from their own hives.

However, the kajmak was a revelation; now, I have had ajvar (which I also love) ever since I first visited the Balkans over 25 years ago, but kajmak was a new culinary experience.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
...... except kumis.
Ah, yes, kumis.

Quite one of the most revolting things I have ever encountered.

I remember having been served it at a formal meeting in a yurt in the east of Kyrgyzstan (and feel that I must point out that my own local staff were nearly dying of laughter), where I was observing an election in the aftermath of a revolution, and struggling to finish the contents of the quite appallingly enormous bowl of this perfectly ghastly stuff.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cheese doesn't need to be served solely on cheeseboards: Left over cheese can be superb when prepared as a sauce for pasta.

Tonight, I prepared a sauce from a variety of (left over) cheese: Some Roquefort, some Bleu d'Auvergne, some (freshly) grated Pecorino and (freshly) grated ancient Parmigiano Reggiano, and some Trappist cheese, which were all melted in a sauté pan, over a very low heat, to which was added a little double cream, and some of the (wonderfully starchy), pasta cooking liquid.

Delicious, though I say so, myself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Visited the cheesemonger today:

Purchases included:

Stilton, and Birbablu, two blues.

The Gorgonzola was depressingly solid (yes, I know that it is cold, but I like my Gorgonzola to ooze with gorgeous liquid glory), thus, with reluctance, I decided to forego it.

Époisses, and Camembert Rustique, soft cheeses.

Tomme de Savoie and Morbier.

Gouda Goat's cheese with fenugreek, and Gouda sheep's cheese.

Plus, some Pecorino Romano for some specific pasta dishes.

Other purchases included Mortadella, Parma ham (very thinly sliced), Milano salami, and - for when I am preparing pasta dishes - a glorious piece of guanciale, which should meet with the approval of @yaxomoxay.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I visited the cheesemonger today and purchased the following cheese:

Blues: Gorgonzola Dolce (not, Cremosa, alas), Fourme d'Ambert, and Bleu d'Auvergne.

Soft: Époisses, (gloriously liquid), and Camembert Rustique (also oozing).

Hard: Goat's Gouda with Fenugeek, and the wonderful Queso al Romero (both from sheep, and from goat's milk); and also, a generous hunk of Pecorino Romano.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If there is one cheese that (much of the time, perhaps, most of the time), I think I prefer to all others, it is Gorgonzola, specifically, Gorgonzola Dolce, and, above all, Gorgonzola Cremosa.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Having just returned from Athens I want to put in a word for Greek cheese that isn't feta (wonderful though it is) :

A selection of Greek cheeses

Kasseri​

If you’re looking for a mouthwatering cheese to make the most heavenly Greek cheese pie, then kasseri it is. Also part of the family of pasta filata cheese, kasseri is a semi-hard, pale-yellow cheese made from sheep’s milk, with a soft, stringy texture; this is achieved by using unpasteurised milk and allowing for the cheese to age for four months. Apart from its delicious role as cheese pie filling, kasseri is a common table cheese and can be enjoyed in sandwiches and pastries or as Saganaki.
Terrific for breakfast in "pita" (filo pastry like the famous spanikopita)

Kefalotyri​

A traditional, hard Greek cheese, kefalotyri can be compared to gruyere, though it is resolutely saltier and harder. Made from unpasteurised goat’s or sheep’s milk (or sometimes both), it has a sharp, salty taste. It’s usually the go-to Greek cheese for frying, making for an excellent Saganaki. It can be added on top of hot pasta, to stews or blended in sauces. It’s also a fine addition to a cheese board, pairing perfectly with seasonal fruits and red wine.

I can attest to this, really good in saganaki as noted above.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having just returned from Athens I want to put in a word for Greek cheese that isn't feta (wonderful though it is) :

A selection of Greek cheeses

Terrific for breakfast in "pita" (filo pastry like the famous spanikopita)

I can attest to this, really good in saganaki as noted above.
What a wonderful post.

Thank you.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Athens.

I love to learn about cheeses that I had never known of, until reading about them, or tasting them, or coming across them when visiting a new country.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today, while visiting the farmers' market, I also paid a visit to the cheesemonger's.

The following cheeses were purchased: Gorgonzola, Forme d'Ambert, and some gloriously creamy Stilton, all blues, from Italy, France and the UK, respectively.

Then, my eye alighted upon extra mature Gouda which was a lovely, splendid, auburn, burnt orange colour, with an explosive caramel taste, plus young Gouda with fenugeek, both Dutch.

Washed rind, or soft, cheeses included some wonderfully oozing Camembert Rustique, and some ripe St Nectaire, and a small piece of young (and almost creamy) Morbier, both from France.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This morning, I paid a visit to the cheesemonger's and purchased the following cheeses:

Hard cheeses: Tomme de Normandie from France, Goat's Gouda from the Netherlands, and Pecorino Romano from Italy.

Semi-soft, or washed rind cheeses: Reblochon, Pont l'Eveque, and some St Nectaire, all from France.

Blue cheese: Bleu d'Auvergne from France, and Birbablu from Italy.

And cream cheese: Payson Breton Garlic & Herb Cream Cheese.

Plus, fresh French bread from the French bakery.

Reactions: Homme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.